Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #1951
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lowar12
Thanks Jami and Inatic for the warm welcome!! I have signed up for a bootcamp training here in the area. I start Saturday morning (pray for me)!! I have read about the BFL program and I'm gonna go with it! Gonna start today!! Anyway...thx for being here when I need advise and support. I truly appreciate it!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2010, 06:50 AM   #1952
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Hi everyone! Today on tap for me is Clean eats, meal preps, grocery store, laundry! I really want to workout, but, with how my workouts have been this week I might take the day off.
DS is going to Minnesota with my parents for a couple weeks. They go to this lake that I basically grew up every summer. Now he gets to go and enjoy it too! Its so much fun! They have these really neat cabins, lots of fishing, water skiing, jet boating.... it just takes 10 hours to driver there! I wanna go. I might. I could leave Early Monday, and come back on Thursday and work friday.. Im not sure if driving 20 hours is worth only 2 days of lake time.

Lowar~ YEAH for starting BFL!! Let us know how you do!! If you need anything let us know! This is a great thread, Lots of support and information.

Allmyponies~ DARN about life getting in the way! I hate that. I was surprised that I was able to get through an entire 12 weeks during my BFL thing without any problems. LOL Im having some issues now, but I am still going to continue. My biggest fear right now is LOSING everything I have gained. I'm happy that you are making a come back!

Ayana~ Welcome back! You are always doing so good with your clean eating! Im sure those little things didn't hurt you one bit!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #1953
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
I really like flexible too-good read. I am following advice from it and it is working for me-meet my daily calorie and protein goals and let the rest of the macros fall where they may. Be prepared if you go to his Monkey Island Forum-it is definitely not a touchy feely place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn_in_NJ View Post
Is Monkey Island different from Bodyrecomp?
hahaha.. monkey island is ROUGH! but good info there if you can sift through it..

welcome home ayana! the break did your body good im sure.

All my ponies(name?) welcome. Id stay away from machines that isolate and concentrate on full body movements (for now
Old 07-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #1954

Gallery: AllMyPonies
Stats: Start 3/23-235/226.6/160
WOE: DANDR Induction, work out EVERY DAY!
Start Date: It's now or never...
Ileen, what do you mean by full body movements? I have to watch things because of my bum knee...
Old 07-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #1955

compound movements/multi joint movements.. Got cha on the knee.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #1956
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lowar12
BFL kicked my butt!! Super sore, but loved the workout!! I am hoping to create labels to simplify my workout plan...I can't do the writing as I go.....just too time consuming.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #1957

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllMyPonies View Post
Ileen, what do you mean by full body movements? I have to watch things because of my bum knee...
Adding to what Ileen said, compound movements mimic the way our bodies move and work on a daily basis, and they involve large muscle groups. They add more intensity to a workout.

Examples of these types of movements:

lunges
squats
deadlifts
dips
pushups
clean and press
rows

Old 07-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #1958
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowar12 View Post
BFL kicked my butt!! Super sore, but loved the workout!! I am hoping to create labels to simplify my workout plan...I can't do the writing as I go.....just too time consuming.
I love the workouts! You'll get used to it fast! What if you had written out your workout before you go to the gym, then when you are taking your 1 minute break between each set you could write down the weight?? That's what I do. I have to have my "itinerary" all laid out for me.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #1959

like Jami , i write out my workout before i get to the gym as well and just note as i go along.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #1960
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cleome
Stats: 230/184/130
WOE: Metformin+LowCarb/HypothyroidHealth
Start Date: September 2009
Workout forms

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowar12 View Post
I can't do the writing as I go.....just too time consuming.
I make up my forms on a spreadsheet program (like Excel), but here is a good site to download blank forms: http://werkit.com/forms and a sample filled out sheet: http://www.theotto.org/plannerlogs/2...7-2007-13.jpeg

I bring each day's workout form into the gym on a clipboard, with a rubber band across the bottom to hold the sheet down and for my pen. Like Jamistar I use my rest between sets to record the weights that worked, or take notes. As soon as I get home I write in the weight I plan to use next time - this helps keep me on track.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:06 AM   #1961

did you find your answer? Not sure anyone answered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
Thanks Rachel, Ileen, and others, for the help regarding Lyle's books.

Does anybody know if the Flex. dieting book covers muscle sparing/ exercising while dieting?
matt i believe it does.. havent gandered through it in a long while. I know even on the Psmf/Rapid fat loss, you can train but modifed. If i remember.. many did a 3x5 type plan ...All his plans are protein/muscle sparring.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:18 AM   #1962
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
matt i believe it does.. havent gandered through it in a long while. I know even on the Psmf/Rapid fat loss, you can train but modifed. If i remember.. many did a 3x5 type plan ...All his plans are protein/muscle sparring.
Thanks Ileen. I don't really know if I found what I'm looking for. I posted a question on Lyle's main forum, and he basically said he didn't think the Flexible Dieting book was for me, based on what I was looking for. (At least he's honest and not just trying to sell me something).

In Lyle's typical succinct form, he didn't really give me any recommendations for anything else, either.

His Ultimate Diet 2.0 is something that I would really like to try, but I don't have the time to add a 4th workout into my plan right now. That's not an excuse to be lazy or anything - I really don't have the time. I need to research how others have adapted the program to a 3 day workout program. But, on the other hand, I hate adapting things because I believe most programs work out better if done by the book.

The Rapid Fat Loss handbook looks tempting, but I really don't want to fall into the trap of shedding pounds as quickly as possible purely for aesthetics, even though it is really tempting.

I just need to find a program that is a happy medium. One that encourages or allows heavy barbell exercises, emphasizing fat loss, and without encouraging the "powerlifting gut."

I tend to over-analyze things. I can compare different brands of items at Wal-mart for 30 minutes if I allow myself, so I really drive myself insane with diet and exercise issues, sometimes.

Editing to add: I do need to get better about understanding and adding diet breaks, eating at maintenance, balancing my macros, etc. to my dieting pattern. I've had a lot of haphazard carb-ups and a sink-or-swim attitude about dieting that have probably left my body in an unoptimized state for building muscle and losing fat for a large percentage of the last year.

Last edited by yorick; 07-11-2010 at 04:41 AM..
Old 07-11-2010, 04:36 AM   #1963

Quote:
I tend to over-analyze things. I can compare different brands of items at Wal-mart for 30 minutes if I allow myself, so I really drive myself insane with diet and exercise issues, sometimes.
that in the nutshell, is why i have a coach.. Id drive myself insane!
Old 07-11-2010, 05:12 AM   #1964
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SophieM
Stats: 5'1
WOE: CKD
I also have all the exercises and the order already written down before I go to the gym and record weight and reps during rest breaks. I just make my own table in a word processor and write all the exercises on one side with boxes for weight/reps and comments next to it.

Matt, have you looked into the Anabolic Diet? That's basically what I do.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #1965
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieM View Post
I also have all the exercises and the order already written down before I go to the gym and record weight and reps during rest breaks. I just make my own table in a word processor and write all the exercises on one side with boxes for weight/reps and comments next to it.

Matt, have you looked into the Anabolic Diet? That's basically what I do.
Sophie,

I've seen it before, and will definitely look at it again. I've somewhat experimented with CKD before, but I have an increased willingness to track my food choices/macros now compared to when I just wanted to lose some fat.

Do you track your percentages of fat/protein/carbs, or do you pretty much just eat very low carb through the week and not care too much what you eat on the weekends? Like High protein and fat during the week, and high carb & low fat on the weekends?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #1966
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenn_in_NJ
Stats: 267/142/135
WOE: JUDDD/IF
Start Date: 2001
Matt

I think you need a goal. What do you want to do? I see fat-loss and lift heavy weights.

Do you want to be strong, get big muscles or bw 7%BF?

Do you have a body type in mind you want to look like? Apparently it's not a power lifter.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #1967
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn_in_NJ View Post
Matt

I think you need a goal. What do you want to do? I see fat-loss and lift heavy weights.

Do you want to be strong, get big muscles or bw 7%BF?

Do you have a body type in mind you want to look like? Apparently it's not a power lifter.
Yeah, I guess I want to look something like the more muscular version of Hugh Jackman:

How To Build Body Like Hugh Jackman? by MunFitnessBlog.com

I already consider myself really strong, so I'm willing to put the brakes on strength gains to shed some fat. But, if I can gain strength and lose fat at the same time, that would be great. I don't want to go through extreme bulking and cutting routines.

I'm happy with the body that my primarily compound movement / powerlifting-esqe routine has helped shape. I already have big arms, chest & shoulders - decent traps, getting good lats. My legs need work - I can live with that. I've barely worked my legs in the past 10 years.

So, I don't think that I would need to vary my exercise choices too much, I just need to cut the fat and have enough energy to maintain the strength and muscle that I have.

ETA: I don't believe all powerlifters have a gut, it's just that the ones who are drinking a gallon of milk a day often do. I'm not wanting to compete as a powerlifter, but I would like to eventually lift more massive amounts of weight - just because it is fun.

Last edited by yorick; 07-11-2010 at 09:13 AM..
Old 07-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #1968
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Matt, it is hard to gain strength and lose fat at the same time. I was able to do both during BFL, but that was my first REAL attempt to diet and lift heavy. I was able to increase weight, and gain muscle during all that.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #1969
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Matt, I wonder what would happen if you ate Maintenance calories and lifted heavy?? I guess Im just trying to find the best of both worlds.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #1970
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Sophie,

I've seen it before, and will definitely look at it again. I've somewhat experimented with CKD before, but I have an increased willingness to track my food choices/macros now compared to when I just wanted to lose some fat.

Do you track your percentages of fat/protein/carbs, or do you pretty much just eat very low carb through the week and not care too much what you eat on the weekends? Like High protein and fat during the week, and high carb & low fat on the weekends?
The first time I did the Anabolic Diet/CKD, I tracked. Now I don't. Like you said, very low carb during the week, and anything goes on the weekends. Obviously I'm not eating a TON of calories on the weekend, but I don't count or deprive myself either.

I make better strength gains using CKD than any other way of eating I've found yet. Even better, I get leaner at the same time. For me, it's the best of both worlds.
~~~~
I'm starting Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 tomorrow and can't wait to see what happens!

~~~Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal;
nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.~~~
Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #1971
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sophie, SO is CKD diet just vlc, in a ketogenic state most of the time?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #1972
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mica posted her progress pics in the Body for life thread 2.0. WOW! Take a peak when you all get the chance.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #1973
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Sophie, SO is CKD diet just vlc, in a ketogenic state most of the time?
Most of time you are in ketosis, yes. But on weekend, you carb load, probably getting around 200-300 g of carbs. The theory being you can over-saturate your muscles with glycogen and get in a KILLER workout on the first day of VLC. This is why I do deadlifts on Mondays.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #1974
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Most of time you are in ketosis, yes. But on weekend, you carb load, probably getting around 200-300 g of carbs. The theory being you can over-saturate your muscles with glycogen and get in a KILLER workout on the first day of VLC. This is why I do deadlifts on Mondays.
Ah haa.. Good to know! Thanks!! I have always wondered about this CKD, but I always forgot to ask. My previous WOE was a ketogenic diet. But, due to my carbophobia, I could never get myself to refeed. But now knowing more about all that it sounds sort of appealing. I wish that I would have implented that into my plan at that time. I might give er whirl at some point.
Do you ever notice an energy crash during the week? I remember when I started Atkins back in September, and I had induction flu terribly after a couple days.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #1975
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm starting Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 tomorrow and can't wait to see what happens!
Ok.. what is Jim Windlers program about? I love my way of eating.. BUT, I find that when I get a new plan, or "challenge" of a new plan with goals I do really well. Right now I feel like I'm in Limbo.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #1976
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ok.. what is Jim Windlers program about? I love my way of eating.. BUT, I find that when I get a new plan, or "challenge" of a new plan with goals I do really well. Right now I feel like I'm in Limbo.
I totally missed Sophie saying that about Wendler's program. Good luck, Sophie. You seem to be really motivated in the weight room, so I'm sure you'll make some good progress with the program.

Sophie, I believe he has an e-book for the program. Did you get the book or a writeup from the internet? I haven't tried this program, but since it is heavily based on percentages, I'm sure one could make a spreadsheet with all the calculations.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #1977
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ah haa.. Good to know! Thanks!! I have always wondered about this CKD, but I always forgot to ask. My previous WOE was a ketogenic diet. But, due to my carbophobia, I could never get myself to refeed. But now knowing more about all that it sounds sort of appealing. I wish that I would have implented that into my plan at that time. I might give er whirl at some point.
Do you ever notice an energy crash during the week? I remember when I started Atkins back in September, and I had induction flu terribly after a couple days.
I'm a carboholic! I'm part Italian so VLC is VERY hard for me during the week. I LOVE carb ups, and the subsequent workout come Monday

Quiet the opposite regarding the crash. I get a mid-week energy SPIKE!! Around Wednesday or so, my energy levels skyrocket. It's great. Granted, this past week I did more than usual so the spike didn't last as long, but it was still there or I would have been dead.

Quote:
It's based of percentages of your 1RM. Short version, 3 warm up sets (40, 50, 60% of 1RM). Then 3 working sets at various percentages as well (65, 75, 85 on the first week for example). The first week all your working sets have 5 reps, the second week, 3, the 3rd week 1, then the 4th week you deload. Final working set each week (except deload week) is taken to almost failure. Assistance exercises can be added if you want.

There's a pretty good writeup on bb.com, but it's not complete. The book is better.

Quote:
I totally missed Sophie saying that about Wendler's program. Good luck, Sophie. You seem to be really motivated in the weight room, so I'm sure you'll make some good progress with the program.

Sophie, I believe he has an e-book for the program. Did you get the book or a writeup from the internet? I haven't tried this program, but since it is heavily based on percentages, I'm sure one could make a spreadsheet with all the calculations.
I have the e-book. Totally worth it and a fast read. I have a spreadsheet, and my dad does also. It's pretty simple. I'm hoping in compete in PL'ing next year so I need to get my pathetic bench and squat numbers up. Hope 5/3/1 will be the right tool to use.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #1978
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MortNuke
Stats: 5"10" 213/190/190;
WOE: Clean Eating / P90X
Start Date: 2009
Great thread, with tons of solid advice-sharing.

Mort
Old 07-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #1979

Gallery: Ilpirata
NEED ADVICE RE Changing up Exercises.

So, as y'all know I'm doing Body for Life I'm starting week seven and I think I'm supposed to change my workouts? He doesn't address this specifically in the book but its what people seem to say on the BFL forum. Is this true? I really *like* the workouts I'm doing with the exception that I think I need to start doing DLs for my Hamstrings.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #1980

the program doesnt stop working .. but you can get more effiecent at what you are doing, hense why people change it up. We normally get a new program after about 6weeks..

You could keep the same exercises and switch the order.. or keep some of them, switch the order..

you can do dl's or even RDL's for hams or pull thrus too

Last edited by inatic; 07-12-2010 at 01:59 PM..
Closed Thread