Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #1921
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Good UBWO last night... still upping my weights a bit just about every workout (inching up on certain sets) LBWO tomorrow. Then this week I'm going to pick new exercises to work the next six weeks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #1922
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
so are you going to follow the no free meals for 14 days?

I have lower body today and some short intervals.. Likely waiting till the my oldest two kids pack up and leave. HIIT outside today, since i waiting (dumb) will be brutal!

YES! No cheats for 2 weeks. Im excited to see what it will do for me! I dont think I have ever gone 2 weeks with 100% DA LOL

YIKES! HIIT outside in GA July! Have fun with that At least you'll be doing short intervals.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #1923
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Hey everybody. Just checking in. I ate like crap over the weekend. Time to suck it up and eat clean.

Workouts are still great.

Has anybody on this thread read any of Lyle McDonald's books? I'm just curious. I'm always interested in new dietary reading. Ileen, I was thinking maybe you had mentioned Lyle before?

His books are a little pricey, so I will resist my urge to spend unless I hear some rave reviews.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #1924
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SophieM
Stats: 5'1
WOE: Varies
This weather is killing me. It hit 105 here today. Gym has little to no A/C. I lifted, did HIIT, and stretched. Now, I'm home, which also has little to no A/C. UGH!!!

Good luck on your two weeks Jaime!
Old 07-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieM View Post
This weather is killing me. It hit 105 here today. Gym has little to no A/C. I lifted, did HIIT, and stretched. Now, I'm home, which also has little to no A/C. UGH!!!

Good luck on your two weeks Jaime!
OMG that sounds heinous! I'm so sorry for you. One of the reasons I got my gym membership the cardio room at my apt. complex has no noticeable AC. The heat just kills me! I'm such a wilting princess LOL.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #1926

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
Hey everybody. Just checking in. I ate like crap over the weekend. Time to suck it up and eat clean.

Workouts are still great.

Has anybody on this thread read any of Lyle McDonald's books? I'm just curious. I'm always interested in new dietary reading. Ileen, I was thinking maybe you had mentioned Lyle before?

His books are a little pricey, so I will resist my urge to spend unless I hear some rave reviews.
yes, i have.. i have a few of them.. what are you looking for in particular.. They are worth every penny..
Old 07-07-2010, 05:15 AM   #1927

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
YES! No cheats for 2 weeks. Im excited to see what it will do for me! I dont think I have ever gone 2 weeks with 100% DA LOL

YIKES! HIIT outside in GA July! Have fun with that At least you'll be doing short intervals.
Im excited to see what happens for you too! The 100% DA is that just with since erik or prior to w/BFL as well?

im actually down in Destin/Florida this week at our beach condo... I ran hit yesterday outside.. was over cast so not bad.. I either do it early morning or late at night.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #1928
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
yes, i have.. i have a few of them.. what are you looking for in particular.. They are worth every penny..
I was looking at the Ultimate Diet 2.0 - although I don't know if I fall into the 12% to 15% body fat range Lyle recommends before reading the book. My guess is I'm at least a little over 15% - if not more.

I was also thinking about the Rapid Fat Loss Handbook.

A Guide to Flexible Dieting looks kind of interesting, but if I had to buy just one book, it would be one of the two aforementioned, based on what I think I would gain the most knowledge from.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:12 AM   #1929

those are all awesome choices.
my friend did ud2 a wee bit 'fatter' than recommended with great choices.. tough workouts/training and you have to be consistent with it.

Flexible dieting should be in everyone's library!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:11 AM   #1930
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Im excited to see what happens for you too! The 100% DA is that just with since erik or prior to w/BFL as well?

im actually down in Destin/Florida this week at our beach condo... I ran hit yesterday outside.. was over cast so not bad.. I either do it early morning or late at night.
LOL, Since my 4th week of BFL to now.. I just figured, heck, if I can still lose inches while having cheats than go for it! Bad mentally. Need to convert. Even though with all my cheats Erik doesn't say anything about it, so I just continued
Old 07-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #1931
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
those are all awesome choices.
my friend did ud2 a wee bit 'fatter' than recommended with great choices.. tough workouts/training and you have to be consistent with it.

Flexible dieting should be in everyone's library!
Ileen, is RFL just a more strict version of UD2? I'm having a hard time comparing and contrasting them. It seems like both are geared towards sparing muscle and fairly fast fat loss, although my understanding is that RFL is more restrictive...

Is there one that you would suggest more than the other? Is one "easier" physically? Is one easier mathematically (with counting macros)?

Anyway, any help you can give is appreciated. I guess I can sign up for Lyle's forum and pick some brains. I looked around and didn't find the info I was looking for.

I really don't want to screw up my strength gains, but I'm willing to pause my strength increases to lean out a little to maybe lose 7 to 10 lbs more fat before the summer is over.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #1932

flexible diet is the most versitile. it shows y ou a few ways to moderate a diet.

RFL is basically JUST Low/nf protein, veggies and fish oils with a free meal and refeed built into it.. full explanation of wts and amts to eat.. This plan is very strict..
Old 07-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #1933

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Rick, I e-mailed Lyle about the Rapid Fat Loss book. He didn't advise it for me since I'm so close to my goal. He suggested I get the Flexible Diet book instead. I still haven't purchased either one of them, but maybe you should e-mail him and ask for his opinion.

Jamie, I am interested to see what your results are when you let Erik do his job. *teasing*
Old 07-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #1934
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Rick, I e-mailed Lyle about the Rapid Fat Loss book. He didn't advise it for me since I'm so close to my goal. He suggested I get the Flexible Diet book instead. I still haven't purchased either one of them, but maybe you should e-mail him and ask for his opinion.

Jamie, I am interested to see what your results are when you let Erik do his job. *teasing*
HA!!! I know right! Things work well for me if I let them. I go through cycles of resistance, and cycles of submission. I dont know WHAT the heck I call this one!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #1935
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dang it! I am yet to get in a good workout this week! I get to the gym and feel ok, until I start to lift. Then I get dizzy, my legs go numb and I break out into sweats. Yesterday I had palpitations all day and I felt out of breath.
I am having some stress lately. My health worries me and other factors have decided to sneak in there as well. TOO much on my plate. I am someone who can deal with one stress at a time.. anymore than that I freak out.

As my Good Friend ELMER FUDD says.. I just need some "West and Wewaxation"
Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #1936
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lowar12
Hi all!! I stumbled upon this thread while trying to determine whether or not to do the BFL program. I am not a thin person, so I'm not really sure where to start. I have done the LC WOE before and have been successful, and now I want to get to the next level of being physically fit and lose more weight/inches. I saw some of Jami's pics, and WOW!! what arms!! I just need input...I'm one who typically can set my mind to something and accomplish what I put my mind to, but only if I see results....if not, I lose hope !! Anyway, just thought it would benefit me to stop by and drop a few lines and get advise from those who have obviously had astounding results!! Any advise is greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #1937
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HI Lowar, thank you!
Body for life is a great program! I would definitely start with that, and stay with it. So many people have had such great luck with it. I'd get the book and go for it. The best part about it is that it gives you the guidelines to get you going, and with most people, including me, need that
Old 07-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowar12 View Post
Hi all!! I stumbled upon this thread while trying to determine whether or not to do the BFL program. I am not a thin person, so I'm not really sure where to start. I have done the LC WOE before and have been successful, and now I want to get to the next level of being physically fit and lose more weight/inches. I saw some of Jami's pics, and WOW!! what arms!! I just need input...I'm one who typically can set my mind to something and accomplish what I put my mind to, but only if I see results....if not, I lose hope !! Anyway, just thought it would benefit me to stop by and drop a few lines and get advise from those who have obviously had astounding results!! Any advise is greatly appreciated!!
welcome! let us know how we can help.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #1939

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
flexible diet is the most versitile. it shows y ou a few ways to moderate a diet.

RFL is basically JUST Low/nf protein, veggies and fish oils with a free meal and refeed built into it.. full explanation of wts and amts to eat.. This plan is very strict..

I really like flexible too-good read. I am following advice from it and it is working for me-meet my daily calorie and protein goals and let the rest of the macros fall where they may. Be prepared if you go to his Monkey Island Forum-it is definitely not a touchy feely place.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #1940
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenn_in_NJ
Stats: 267/142/135
WOE: JUDDD/IF
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
I really like flexible too-good read. I am following advice from it and it is working for me-meet my daily calorie and protein goals and let the rest of the macros fall where they may. Be prepared if you go to his Monkey Island Forum-it is definitely not a touchy feely place.
Is Monkey Island different from Bodyrecomp?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #1941

Gallery: AllMyPonies
Stats: Start 3/23-235/226.6/160
WOE: DANDR Induction, work out EVERY DAY!
Start Date: It's now or never...
Hey, can I join? I'm not on any particular exercise program other than my own routine, but am on day 2 of re-inducting for GOOD.

My workout is -

Stationary bike - just started this, so levels are not very high, but 10 minutes gets my legs feeling like lead! Whooo!

Weights are all 3 sets of 15 reps.

Upper body - butterfly machine, 35 lbs.
Free wt. 12# lawnmowers
Tricep pulldowns 40#
Lat pulldowns 40#
Now I don't know the formal name for this machine. You set a padded bar up high, hook your leg over it and push back, then you use it for inside and outside thighs. Anyway, I'm at 50# there. Again, 3 sets of 15 reps. Makes for a really nice tush.
Just started doing a machine for hamstrings at a very low weight.
Some sort of ab crunch machine - 50# for 100 reps.

I have NO idea if I'm still a weakling, or pretty strong. Any comments?

Last edited by AllMyPonies; 07-07-2010 at 11:44 AM..
Old 07-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #1942
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Thanks Rachel, Ileen, and others, for the help regarding Lyle's books.

Does anybody know if the Flex. dieting book covers muscle sparing/ exercising while dieting?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #1943
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn_in_NJ View Post
Is Monkey Island different from Bodyrecomp?
I believe this is Lyle's no holds barred forum - his "mean forum".
Old 07-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #1944
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllMyPonies View Post
Hey, can I join? I'm not on any particular exercise program other than my own routine, but am on day 2 of re-inducting for GOOD.

My workout is -

Stationary bike - just started this, so levels are not very high, but 10 minutes gets my legs feeling like lead! Whooo!

Weights are all 3 sets of 15 reps.

Upper body - butterfly machine, 35 lbs.
Free wt. 12# lawnmowers
Tricep pulldowns 40#
Lat pulldowns 40#
Now I don't know the formal name for this machine. You set a padded bar up high, hook your leg over it and push back, then you use it for inside and outside thighs. Anyway, I'm at 50# there. Again, 3 sets of 15 reps. Makes for a really nice tush.
Just started doing a machine for hamstrings at a very low weight.
Some sort of ab crunch machine - 50# for 100 reps.

I have NO idea if I'm still a weakling, or pretty strong. Any comments?
Welcome. I'm not sure what that "nice tush" machine is...

How long have you been working out? What are your goals?
Old 07-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #1945

I started at the end of March, and was doing really well until mid-May when lots of life's little issues got in the way - working late, yadda yadda. I'm back at it now, although my numbers aren't quite what they were back in May.

Here's a picture of the machine I'm talking about, this one is more "modern" than the one I use, but same idea:

Goals are to tighten up - between low carbing and lifting, I'd like to get some kind of definition. More stamina. My left knee has been busted twice, so more strength/less pain there. Not looking to get into bodybuilding competitively, but just want to look good, and to me that includes definition.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllMyPonies View Post
I started at the end of March, and was doing really well until mid-May when lots of life's little issues got in the way - working late, yadda yadda. I'm back at it now, although my numbers aren't quite what they were back in May.

Here's a picture of the machine I'm talking about, this one is more "modern" than the one I use, but same idea:

Goals are to tighten up - between low carbing and lifting, I'd like to get some kind of definition. More stamina. My left knee has been busted twice, so more strength/less pain there. Not looking to get into bodybuilding competitively, but just want to look good, and to me that includes definition.

I don't use that machine but I think its popularly called the donkey kick LOL.

I'm no expert on weight lifting but I think I'd be looking for a program where I hit failure at some point in my reps. If you're doing all three sets x15 at the same weight I assume you achieve them all succesfully? To me that would be time to up the weight on at least the last set.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #1947

It's kinda my goal to up the lbs once a week. I'm getting a pretty good workout as it is, without feeling like I'm going to be hurting (much)! Saturday is my increase day.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #1948
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Hey everyone - I am back from vacation.

Yes running does help lean my legs out and I have been doing more of that and walking on a high incline. My diet was half clean and half bad in Memphis this past week. I have a sweet tooth and had pecan pie and sweet potato pie. But I went back to the gym right away when I got home yesterday. I ate clean yesterday and of course will continue.

No cheats anytime for me either!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #1949
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SophieM
Stats: 5'1
WOE: Varies
Kisha - While I've looked around at other gyms, it would cost around double the price we're paying now if we change gyms. The gym we go to now is VERY basic (no locker rooms, no showers, etc). But it has everything we need at an affordable price.

Matt - You sound like me with not wanting to sacrifice strength gains.

Jaime - Hope you're okay. Is it the stress or something more?

Ayana - Welcome back! How was vacation?

Welcome new people!!!
~~~~~
Another hot one here today. Still lifted. PR'ed on the bench. It's pathetic so I won't mention it. It's annoying knowing I could be lifting so much more if it wasn't for this ganglion cyst.

I'm off to try to cool off a bit before dance tonight.

~~~Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal;
nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.~~~
Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieM View Post
Kisha - While I've looked around at other gyms, it would cost around double the price we're paying now if we change gyms. The gym we go to now is VERY basic (no locker rooms, no showers, etc). But it has everything we need at an affordable price.

Matt - You sound like me with not wanting to sacrifice strength gains.

Jaime - Hope you're okay. Is it the stress or something more?

Ayana - Welcome back! How was vacation?

Welcome new people!!!
~~~~~
Another hot one here today. Still lifted. PR'ed on the bench. It's pathetic so I won't mention it. It's annoying knowing I could be lifting so much more if it wasn't for this ganglion cyst.

I'm off to try to cool off a bit before dance tonight.
well hang in there then girl!
Closed Thread