Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #1741
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by h82bl8 View Post
Good job!! Doesn't it feel great to nail your workouts!! Just remember to keep you fat really low for you post workout meal, you want those complex carbs to absorb right to your muscle fast! I have learned so much about workout nutrition during these last few months. I wished that I would have discovered these little tricks so much sooner.

Thanks for the info!! I would love to be able to afford a nutritionist but I can't. I've been reading Oxygen from cover to cover and they offer some good advise, imo. I am still learning about pre/post meals. All advise is welcomed.

Point of clarification, if I can interject courteously?

Post workout carbs should IDEALLY be simple carbs, as opposed to complex carbs, along with lean protein. The simple carbs' (higher glycemic) purpose are to initiate a higher insulin spike for the shuttling of glycogen back into the muscle.

Complex carbs are good, but not AS good for that purpose, as they're "slower digesting," and should be saved for the meals following and throughout the day.

It's all good.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 05-27-2010 at 09:32 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #1742

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 8
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Ayana, how did it go?

Keisha, I have a free Gold's membership through work...all I have to do is use it and it's paid for completely. The one thing I don't like about Gold's is that they are closed on Sundays and that they close early on some nights. Make sure you like the hours of the gym you choose...very important! This sounds weird, but I also hate their dressings rooms....they are tiny and dark.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #1743
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
This sounds weird, but I also hate their dressings rooms....they are tiny and dark.
That reminds me - I also hate the locker room at my gym. It has poor ventilation, so it is always humid from the showers. Hopefully a woman's locker room smells better than a men's one, in general, but mine smells like the inside of a dumpster that's been placed in an equatorial rain forest.

So, overall gym cleanliness is something I'll be looking at more closely when it's time for me to switch gyms.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #1744

Gallery: Ilpirata
So much to consider! I started with close to home as my number one criteria... I'm such a gym NOOB I appreciate the tips on what to look for. Theres another gym (Ballys) nearby that I can get one week at also then I guess I'll choose between the three.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #1745
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post

Post workout carbs should IDEALLY be simple carbs, as opposed to complex carbs, along with lean protein. The simple carbs' (higher glycemic) purpose are to initiate a higher insulin spike for the shuttling of glycogen back into the muscle.

Complex carbs are good, but not AS good for that purpose, as they're "slower digesting," and should be saved for the meals following and throughout the day.

It's all good.
I have been doing so much reading and research (yes I am a nerd) on grains - we aren't meant to have them. So for simple carbs after my workout, I go to fruit with my protein. I know you didn't mention what kind of "simple" carbs but it just got me thinking about it all. But yes I agree about the "spike" for glycogen into the muscle.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #1746
Blabbermouth!!!

OMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Ayana, how did it go?

Keisha, I have a free Gold's membership through work...all I have to do is use it and it's paid for completely. The one thing I don't like about Gold's is that they are closed on Sundays and that they close early on some nights. Make sure you like the hours of the gym you choose...very important! This sounds weird, but I also hate their dressings rooms....they are tiny and dark.
I could have killed him. He forgot!!!!!!!!!!!!! He said he hasn't been right (forgetful) since dieting down - he's competing in 2 months. Anyways, it is now on for Tuesday. I will keep you posted.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #1747
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Hey guys! Sounds like everyone's doing well, which is great.

I got a new plan from Erik this Tuesday, and it rocks! He gave me an extra training day, which I'm loving (it means I get an extra PWO snack a week!)and switched up my cardio a bit. He also took some stuff away from my eating plan, but it's still pretty darn good for a diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post

It's all good.
I totally agree with Twyla here, and really use this opportunity to have some yummy on-plan snacks. It totally feels like I'm cheating, but I'm not! My favorite PWO snacks are: Skinny Cow ice cream cones, bars, or sandwiches, Quakers rice treats (they're so crunchy and good), pretzels (both the regular crunchy ones as well as the kind you bake), English muffins with rasins in them or regular ones with SF fruit preserves spread on them, or LF granola bars. I'm all about the fun and yummy PWO snacks. It'll be a cold day in hell before I eat a potato or brown rice for a PWO snack !
Old 05-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #1748

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
I have been doing so much reading and research (yes I am a nerd) on grains - we aren't meant to have them. So for simple carbs after my workout, I go to fruit with my protein. I know you didn't mention what kind of "simple" carbs but it just got me thinking about it all. But yes I agree about the "spike" for glycogen into the muscle.
the 'problem' is that fruit replaces liver glycogen vs muscle glycogen.. then again , most of us, arent depleting all taht glycogen anyway.

there are healthy choices that arent grains for those who prefer paleo type eating.. swt tators for one.

I tend to stick to healhier pwo and often do chose a nice bowl of oatmeal when my cals are very low and im hungry.. but most know im a volume piggie..

i have to find a post erik wrote on a nother board.. it was in reference in keeping carbs low and hense causing more insulin resistance..

Last edited by inatic; 05-27-2010 at 02:03 PM..
Old 05-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #1749

ah, here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
Ultimately caloric intake sits atop the priority pyramid when it comes to fat loss. More or less carbs is more an issue of individual and is a decision that comes with assessing and monitoring the individual. Some people, due to poor glucose tolerance will feel better on lower carbs. So essentially, lower insulin sensitivity. Or perhaps, a person is a hyper-secreter of insulin in response to a given carb intake for example.

<snip>

I think your thinking about this is wrong right from the start. It's not an issue of how low your carbs have to be to get lean. That's not the factor. The issue is setting calories appropriately for a given individual and a given level of activity.

Carbs don't have to be low to drop body fat. Everyone's afraid of carbs these days, and honestly, there's no reason to be. Many people have BECOME carb intolerate specifically due to the fact that they've eaten low carbs for too long. THAT reduces insulin sensitivity (ketone exposure) - not eating carbs obviously reduces your body's ability to optimally handle carbs. Go figure ....
Old 05-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #1750

OKAY On this whole carb topic...
My BFL book just came I'll be starting this for real this weekend instead of the "practicing" I've been doing for the last week. In conjunction I plan to be adding in some carbs. I'm scared its true but I think I'm going to go for it... but slowly I don't want to just jumpe into too many carbs. At some point though I'm going to be doing protein meal replacement drinks should I go ahead and get one that has carbs in it too? If so which one? If not just regular low carb whey protein?

THANKS!
Old 05-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #1751

i suggest LC protein, with no low carb

buy a LC protein drink because
sometimes we dont add carbs but use it.(cooking or upping protein)
and then i can add my own carb when need to.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #1752

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
i suggest LC protein, with no low carb

buy a LC protein drink because
sometimes we dont add carbs but use it.(cooking or upping protein)
and then i can add my own carb when need to.
okay thanks! Its so weird to be starting over at something as a noob when I've been little miss low carb know it all after years on program LOL
Old 05-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #1753

LOL
definitely a different mindset.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:11 AM   #1754
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
OKAY On this whole carb topic...
My BFL book just came I'll be starting this for real this weekend instead of the "practicing" I've been doing for the last week. In conjunction I plan to be adding in some carbs. I'm scared its true but I think I'm going to go for it... but slowly I don't want to just jumpe into too many carbs. At some point though I'm going to be doing protein meal replacement drinks should I go ahead and get one that has carbs in it too? If so which one? If not just regular low carb whey protein?

THANKS!
I drank the eas carb control shakes. I think they only had like 2-4 carbs in it. I'd rather get my carbs from food. You could have a RTD protein shake and a peice of fruit with it. This is what I did. I found out that a weighing everything in grams is SUCH an eye opener. I am OCD about numbers, so I plugged in all my foods into MYPlate in grams so I knew exactly how many carbs, proteins and fats I was getting everyday. I thought a small apple was 154 grams, but, I cut up a small apple, weighed it and it was more like 200 grams, with out the core! LOL
Old 05-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #1755
Blabbermouth!!!

Interesting

Quote:
ah, here it is:

I ate carbs my whole life and as soon as I stuck to what we were supposed to eat in carbs: vegetables, fruits, nuts, and some tubers occasionally, I have never felt better. Others can have more wild rice, tubers, etc and be fine. I have a reaction to it and it isn't b/c I have depleted myself from carbs for too long.

Thanks for the post!

Last edited by afuentes; 05-28-2010 at 09:23 AM..
Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post

I ate carbs my whole life and as soon as I stuck to what we were supposed to eat in carbs: vegetables, fruits, nuts, and some tubers occasionally, I have never felt better. Others can have more wild rice, tubers, etc and be fine. I have a reaction to it and it isn't b/c I have depleted myself from carbs for too long.

Thanks for the post!
This is where I am starting. I have been low carb for almost three years now. Anywhere from ZC up to maybe 50g per day depending on my exact WOE (I've done em all). I'm coming in around 50g right now and will be adding fruit and higher carb vegetables as I start my increase. After that maybe sweet potato...
Old 05-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #1757
Blabbermouth!!!

Good for you!!!!

Quote:
This is where I am starting. I have been low carb for almost three years now. Anywhere from ZC up to maybe 50g per day depending on my exact WOE (I've done em all). I'm coming in around 50g right now and will be adding fruit and higher carb vegetables as I start my increase. After that maybe sweet potato...
That is great. I love lifting but realize my energy can come from the protein/fat I eat very easily. However on intense days, (like legs/abs/cardio or something like that) I have wild rice or sweet potato. As long as my bodyfat keeps going down - I am happy.

Keep posting!!
Old 06-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #1758
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Kisha, best of luck with your BFL challenge!

I'm loving my new plan, and am rocking the hell out of it, if I do say so myself. I've only lost 4.5 lbs so far, but also 9" in that time. I tried on a dress that fit me when I weighed 20 lbs less than I do now, and guess what? It fits me now! It's fitted on top and flowy on the bottom, so that's why, but still! Hopefully this means that my top half is done for awhile, and now my bottom half can catch up!

Last edited by Firm Hottie; 06-03-2010 at 12:40 PM..
Old 06-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #1759

Right on Laura! I bet ur lookin HAWT!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #1760
Major LCF Poster!

This thread is kinda quiet today.

I mentioned this on a couple of other threads, but I've been changing my eating a little lately.

I've been adding in more carbs on workout days. Primarily lower fructose fruits before and after workout, and then pairing the carbs with protein post workout. I'm trying to avoid eating much fat within an hour or so, both ways, of eating the higher carbs. This is sort of my own modified TKD diet right now. The theory behind the lower fructose (higher glucose) fruits is to hopefully get more glycogen into my muscles, with less liver glycogen storage.

I've also been eating more, in general. I'm not really weighing anymore, and I'm just glad if my 32" waist pants keep fitting well. I guess I'll know it is time to scale back if my pants start getting tight again. I got rid of most of my 34" pants, so I really don't want to sacrifice waist line to go for a full bulk.

I had to increase my eating - I think I was heading for CNS burnout with how hard I was pushing keto eating and working out in the gym. So far, I do think I have more energy with more carbs, and more food.

I also took a couple of days off from the gym and did a few lighter workouts before going for the harder "personal record" workouts in the past couple of weeks.

For now, I'll just continue to see if I make good progress with my workouts and have energy to spare. For awhile, I was feeling like I ran 20 miles with the worst hangover, when I got back from the gym. It's not much good when I don't even feel like doing house/yard work because of my workouts.

How is everybody else doing?

Kisha, how is your BFL stuff going? Have you gotten your workouts straightened out? Exploring the gyms to see which one you like the most?

Last edited by yorick; 06-04-2010 at 09:58 AM..
Old 06-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #1761

im hanging at maintenance cals and just coming off a training break..

Yorick.. a deload would be great (your lighter workouts) but really a whole week off would be an even better idea..

Im glad you are finding you have more energy.. The carbs really do help when you are pusing it so hard.. as you also noted, you dont want to fill that liver glycogen so yep to the low sugar, so that muscles get it..
Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #1762

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
This thread is kinda quiet today.

I mentioned this on a couple of other threads, but I've been changing my eating a little lately.

I've been adding in more carbs on workout days. Primarily lower fructose fruits before and after workout, and then pairing the carbs with protein post workout. I'm trying to avoid eating much fat within an hour or so, both ways, of eating the higher carbs. This is sort of my own modified TKD diet right now. The theory behind the lower fructose (higher glucose) fruits is to hopefully get more glycogen into my muscles, with less liver glycogen storage.

I've also been eating more, in general. I'm not really weighing anymore, and I'm just glad if my 32" waist pants keep fitting well. I guess I'll know it is time to scale back if my pants start getting tight again. I got rid of most of my 34" pants, so I really don't want to sacrifice waist line to go for a full bulk.

I had to increase my eating - I think I was heading for CNS burnout with how hard I was pushing keto eating and working out in the gym. So far, I do think I have more energy with more carbs, and more food.

I also took a couple of days off from the gym and did a few lighter workouts before going for the harder "personal record" workouts in the past couple of weeks.

For now, I'll just continue to see if I make good progress with my workouts and have energy to spare. For awhile, I was feeling like I ran 20 miles with the worst hangover, when I got back from the gym. It's not much good when I don't even feel like doing house/yard work because of my workouts.

How is everybody else doing?

Kisha, how is your BFL stuff going? Have you gotten your workouts straightened out? Exploring the gyms to see which one you like the most?
Hey Matt, BFL is awesome I'm loving it so far. I've done all of my weights for week one. I've made some adjustments and am able to adapt to the available free weights/machines depending on whats going on in the gym while I'm there. I am actually really loving the 24 hour gym. It was even totally workable at 5:30 right after work which surprised me. The cardio machines were packed but I could get to all of the weight machines I needed. Since I do cardio @ home this is fine with me. I'm considering just joining there since I like it. I'll decide this weekend.

I'm eating more carbs too! All from veg and a little low GL fruits like berries. So far so good I'm definately not gaining. I ditched my scale but I can still tell no gain so far
Old 06-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #1763
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hey Matt, BFL is awesome I'm loving it so far. I've done all of my weights for week one. I've made some adjustments and am able to adapt to the available free weights/machines depending on whats going on in the gym while I'm there. I am actually really loving the 24 hour gym. It was even totally workable at 5:30 right after work which surprised me. The cardio machines were packed but I could get to all of the weight machines I needed. Since I do cardio @ home this is fine with me. I'm considering just joining there since I like it. I'll decide this weekend.

I'm eating more carbs too! All from veg and a little low GL fruits like berries. So far so good I'm definately not gaining. I ditched my scale but I can still tell no gain so far
Kisha,

That's great that BFL is going well for you!

I hope when you say "available free weights/machines", that doesn't mean the gym is so busy that it affects the availability of the exercises you want to do. If that is the case, don't be worried about asking people if you can do sets between their sets, or dropping a hint that you want the equipment next by saying something like, "How many sets do you have left?" I have to do this all the time, and I've never met anybody that said no or acted angry.

Don't be afraid to make the gym work for you, since you will be paying money to them.

Anyway, congratulations on getting started with the program. I know you'll be very successful.

Ileen,

I know I really should take a whole week off. I'm kinda dragging my feet on this. Usually, if I take time off, it is because I'm sick. I guess I shouldn't wait until the next time I'm sick to take a break.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #1764

Matt your body will function better with a healthy break than an sick one..
Old 06-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #1765

thanks Matt,

Its only the free weight benches that are occupied after work and i was perfectly happy using the machine press. Maybe in a few weeks I'll be more comfortable but for now this worked really well. Any other time of day and there's usually a bench open for me to line up my little 5, 8, 10, 12, 15 LB dumbells LOL
Old 06-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #1766

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Matt your body will function better with a healthy break than an sick one..

Listen to Ileen-took her advice and took the whole 2 week diet break. Was able to hit my plan full force mentally and physically afterwards and dropped 4 lbs this last week and had some major body recomp. Rest & diet breaks do a body good.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #1767

My only input on the diet break is that I plan on taking one when I'm done with my first challenge. Two full weeks.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #1768
Blabbermouth!!!

Hello lifters!!! It has been a while but I have been so busy with the end of the year procedures. However, I am done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It feels great. No more lesson planning or grading for almost 3 months. During the summer, I will be vacationing, weight lifting, having fun poolside, going to school, and subbing for extra money.

******My results are in and I lost one pound and 2% bodyfat. So I am 17% bodyfat now. So excited. ***********************
Old 06-05-2010, 04:25 AM   #1769

Nice Lisa!! people really do have a hard time mentally with a break.. but the body sooooooo needs it.

Ayana, congrats on being done!
I'd love to sub or do something part time this summer..hmmmm enjoy the summer

Awesome results! i love how the scale didnt change much and you got results!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #1770
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
HI everyone!

Ileen, I had a really hard time with my diet break. I guess I just had a REAL difficult time getting the diet mentality back when I was done. I still am having a hard time with it. Will power has been sucked out of me!

Ayana~ Great job on you results!! When I did BFL C1, I didn't lose any weight. I was the same to the ounce! But I did lose about 4% bf. I bet I have gained a little fat back since I have been done. I crossed that finish line, and Im trying to find a starting line now. I need to get back and post more. That is the one thing that has kept me so motivated last time!

Lisa~ Great job on your 4lb drop as well!! Whoo Hoo!!!

Kisha~ I always ask people "how many sets left" and "are you done using this?" LOL SOme people will just sit on the equipment just to sit there. In the evenings at the gym it gets pretty busy.
Closed Thread