Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #1711
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
*oogles Ileen's pics again*

I totally killed my FBWO today. I changed up how I do my warm-up sets (5-3-1 reps instead of 2 sets of 8), and managed to up my weights on every single exercise! And not by just 1 or 2 lbs either - I went up on everything 5 full lbs, ladies and gentlemen!

A few highlights from today's effort, which are new PRs for me:

Lat Pull Downs - 75#
DB Press & Single Upright Rows - 34#
Reverse Lunges & Lateral Throws - 24# (my glute/ham tie-in is still a little wonky, hence the low # on the lunges)

I rewarded myself with a White Mint Truffle Skinny Cow ice cream bar (it was to die for!) and a serving of Creme Bruele Quaker's rice treats (which were also very good)! Along with my protein shake, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
That is interesting that he allows processed foods in his plan. But at least you are enjoying it. For me if the ingredients are more than a few long and I can't understand them then I stay away. But like I have said before, I do have a "free meal" at least once a month.
I don't eat LF ice cream after every weight session, Ayana, but it's nice to know that I could if I wanted to! Normally I'll have rice cakes, an English muffin, oatmeal, or pretzels along with my protein shake PWO.

Other than my PWO snacks and my free meals (which I normally keep on the clean side), my diet is very clean, and unprocessed.

Last edited by Firm Hottie; 05-21-2010 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: to add today's PRs. :)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2010, 06:55 AM   #1712
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Hi Laura Lou!! Good job on that workout chickie!! You have made some impressive gains! Dont you love it!! I am in LOVE the excersize demo section! I think I am going to get better gains now that I have discovered new exercises. I cant wait for my next LBWO!
I think I found a pretty decent FBCT routine in my new Oxygen magazine. I was going to do it yesterday after work, but it was my sons birthday and I have a VERY important party to attend. Nutrition was 100%! So happy that Im back on track.
Last night, DS (cole) wanted to make us all dinner. He loves to grill out.. so he made everyone brats and hotdogs, that were making my mouth water like crazy. We were all sitting on the back porch, The sun was setting, it was a beautiful evening, the cotton wood seeds were drifting in the breeze.. I loved it! First day it hasn't rained in days.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #1713
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanRHughes View Post
Larger Muscles will increase your carb consumption.
not necessarily.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #1714
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Hi Karla~ I know how you feel about falling off board. I sorta did that too, but, TODAY IS a new day!! We are going to nail this!! Get back on track and lets DO THIS!!!

Great post Twyla, although your text keeps getting smaller and smaller again. I could barely read you last post..

Ayana, So true right.. I have seen a lot of people following that Paleo diet lately.. You look amazing in your avi pic.. **jealous**
Thank you Jami and yes I just bought the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. I love it - so good. Great science but easier to read than GCBC.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #1715
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/145.4/135
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2014
Love Primal Blueprint as well, Ayana!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #1716
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanRHughes View Post
Larger Muscles will increase your carb consumption.
Not for me - yes I can eat higher carbs for maintenance with the extra lean body mass, but not for weight loss. I am insulin resistant and have to keep carbs around 30-35/day to loose - period!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fembomb View Post
i rarely post on this thread..i post on the BFL thread..but i do NOT EAT JUNK WHITES!! everyone here on this thread may do it..most bodybuilders i have ever known do it..i dont..if i do..my eating gradually becomes bad..i get cravings and i go into a nightmare cycle that consumes my brain and my life!! and as far as i am concerned.. gives me a Mental ED!! last year i did it and the end result was lots of fat gain..i must point out that i was not lifting consistently either..which enhanced the damage results..i just dont believe in it..to some the cravings are worth it..the constant thinking about food and so on..i avoid white flour..Sugar..corn syrups..fructose..etc..not salt/sodium..unless i want to reduce water weight temporarily..i rarely indulge in eating any fruits except berries daily..the fruits i eat from time to time are grapefruit..apples..watermelon..cantaloupe..peache s..grapes..a banana 2-4 times a year at most..thats just me..i Never Ever want to go back to the mental struggles i had with food..it just isnt for me..giving up these foods for LIFE..is not a nightmare for me..eating them IS!!
I wanna be you when I grow up! I'm still struggling with old favourites/ comfort eating particular as I have some stressors ATM. Although I am managing to control it to a bigger extent than I have previously. I'm basically maintaining a weight range about 10# above my goal, but in the long run I want & need to completely illiminate these junk foods.

Went dancing Friday night, had an awsome time even though my shoe broke . Got up for a LBW workout Saturday, only managed one set my legs were worn out from the dancing I suspect . Had dance class Saturday afternoon and a housewarming party for the dance school owner Saturday night so more dancing in stilletos! Worked bar job ~5hrs Sunday morning and then had instructor training (yes more dancing) Sunday afternoon! Oh, and I did ~1hr bellydance training last night too . My legs & buttox have been telling me all about it! Decided to rest them this morning, planning on a HIIT workout and more bellydance training tonight .

Nutrition was crap this weekend, between TOM cravings/hunger last week (which I managed to keep whole foods), vodka Fri, Sat & Sun nights and the off-plan foods Saturday night & Sunday. The scale is up this morning, but to be expected. Nutritionally I'm on track today, just wish I was being consistent long enough to get to & maintain goal. @ myself!

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23

Last edited by ozdancer; 05-23-2010 at 06:33 PM..
Old 05-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #1717
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 230/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Sept. 2014
May I join? I'm follwing Tosca Reno's Clean Eating and working out 3-4 times a week. Do any of you eat Quinoa? If you do, does it affect you in a negative way? I have read some of this thread, not all, but from what I've read you all follow a LC woe. Do any of you eat steel cut oats, or are those off limits?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #1718

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by h82bl8 View Post
May I join? I'm follwing Tosca Reno's Clean Eating and working out 3-4 times a week. Do any of you eat Quinoa? If you do, does it affect you in a negative way? I have read some of this thread, not all, but from what I've read you all follow a LC woe. Do any of you eat steel cut oats, or are those off limits?

I don't think anything is off limits per se-you should eat according to your plan (if you have one) and what your body can tolerate. We all tolerate foods differently.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #1719

Gallery: Ilpirata
The Weakest One...

Well I started. O Boy am I weak! I could bench press 100LBS in high school... not anymore! I guess everyone's got to start somewhere. I'll be doing my second workout off freetrainers.com either today or Wednesday.

I started on Saturday. I'm sore and the scale bounced up but I'm sure thats normal.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #1720
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #1721

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
welcome!

Quote:
i eat all that you mention.. and hasnt affected my wt loss at all.

Keisha, you'll get it back.. dont push too fast.. it isnt the amt of wt you are pushing.. it's using the muscle properly to push that wt that matters.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #1722

Thanks Ileen...

I'm going to be startig BFL whenever my book comes in provided I can modify it to the machines in the weight room in my complex. If I can I might just go get a gym membership.

So I've gota newbie question for you guys...

What cals and macros do you aim for? I'm comfortable climbing up in carbs to maybe 60 or 70 and think I have a realistic idea of how to get there (what foods to add in what proportions) but i don't know about cutting the fat (right now I'm about 60% fat intake) down to the BFL recommended 20%.

Do you think 1800 cals a day is enough? I am hypO and have been in a stall for over a year (unproperly medicated now remedied) so I really really get uncomfortable going over that. Anyways would love some input!
Old 05-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #1723

why dont you aim for the 1800 for two weeks and see what happens. It's better to eat more cals than start too low.

the amt of carbs you eat depends on what you can handle. Its total calories for most people unless you have metobolic issues.. Being treated wtih thyroids might change how you reacts..

Have you been eating any? starches or just frui/veggies..
Old 05-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
why dont you aim for the 1800 for two weeks and see what happens. It's better to eat more cals than start too low.

the amt of carbs you eat depends on what you can handle. Its total calories for most people unless you have metobolic issues.. Being treated wtih thyroids might change how you reacts..

Have you been eating any? starches or just frui/veggies..
really mostly just vegetables and also nuts and seeds and I eat yogurt and cottage cheese so I can get up to 50g a day pretty comfortably on that. I like canned pumpkin alot

No grains though except an occasional sprinkle of corn on a salad bar salad.

I'll aim for 1800 for the first two weeks...
Old 05-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #1725
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
HI there! I heard that quinoa is a pure, great carbohydrate, and it also has some protein in it too! I love steal cut oats, and all carbs.... LOL I used to be scared of carbs, but now that how I see how it effects the results with my training, I LOVE them
Old 05-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #1726
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kisha, the macros for bfl is 40p/40c/20f/.. Although I changed it to what made me feel good. So for me it was 40%protein.. I usually aimed for my weight, so body weight x 1 to get my protein for the day.. 30%carbs.. and 30% fat. I usually tapered my carbs off towards the end of the day. Most of all my starchy carbs were in my first 2-3 meals. If I lifted that day, then my carbs would be a little higher.
I think that 1800 cals would be a good place to start.. although Ideally your body weight x 12 is a good level to start at for losing.
All I have to say is dont be scared of carbs. When I did the BFL program my starchy carbs ranged from 120-160grams a day, and before BFL I was on Atkins,, 10 carbs total a day is all I would have.. I slowly added carbs back in, by the second week of BFL I was in full swing! And feeling SO MUCH BETTER!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #1727
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
Well I started. O Boy am I weak! I could bench press 100LBS in high school... not anymore! I guess everyone's got to start somewhere. I'll be doing my second workout off freetrainers.com either today or Wednesday.

I started on Saturday. I'm sore and the scale bounced up but I'm sure thats normal
It sure is normal to gain some weight initially from lifting. I gained about 3lbs the first week I started lifting, but its all water weight, and it will be gone soon. You'll get your strength back fast.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #1728

Jamie, how is your nutrition with Erik going? I know you can't post menus, but I'm just curious about what you think about how you're eating now.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #1729

Quinoa is a great source of protein. I ate it on my program.

I hate oatmeal, so I didn't eat it...I had Cream of Wheat instead.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #1730

thanks Jamie! (I've been reading your BFL thread) I will aim for the 1800 cals and add the carbs back in SLOWLY. I'm not afraid of them per se since alot of my compatriots in the thyroid forum eat higher carbs quite successfully. Just want to feel it out make sure nothing bad happens as I climb the ladder

I'm comfortable maybe up to 100 as per primal blueprint but can't see myself going much higher than that.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #1731
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone!! Had a great workout at the gym yesterday, did upper body then reved up the cardio. I was starving at dinner time. I had an orange and a ostrich/beef stick post wo. But I slept so well!! I'm going back to the gym today.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #1732
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dropshot001
new here, looking forward to learning from everyone here.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #1733

welcome!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #1734
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Jamie, how is your nutrition with Erik going? I know you can't post menus, but I'm just curious about what you think about how you're eating now.
HI RACHEL! Its going ok.. I have been adhering to the program for about a week now. I like that I have someone telling me what to eat. It seems so much easier. I haven't really lost any of the weight that I put on during Maintenance (3lbs), and my too big for me jeans are snug, so I am peeved about that. Before if I would fluctuate up like that I could always get it back down.. But, this is just the beginning and I know that things will change. How are you doing with your trainer? Is your plan a little different this second go around?
Quote:
thanks Jamie! (I've been reading your BFL thread) I will aim for the 1800 cals and add the carbs back in SLOWLY. I'm not afraid of them per se since alot of my compatriots in the thyroid forum eat higher carbs quite successfully. Just want to feel it out make sure nothing bad happens as I climb the ladder

I'm comfortable maybe up to 100 as per primal blueprint but can't see myself going much higher than that.
Your welcome! LOL My BFL thread was a little disorganized.. I was using it to record my menus and keep track of my workouts at first, then I started slacking.. You will notice a little gain of water weight as you start putting those carbs back in.. but BFL is low fat, so none of that weight will be from fat.. KWIM? I think you'll do great. One thing that I did during that time is change my diet some days. When I did days of cardio, or off days, I cut out complex carbs from my last 3 of my 6 meals, and increased my fat a little. On days I lifted, I had those complex carbs for my first 4 of my 6 meals..
Quote:
Good morning everyone!! Had a great workout at the gym yesterday, did upper body then revved up the cardio. I was starving at dinner time. I had an orange and a ostrich/beef stick post wo. But I slept so well!! I'm going back to the gym today.
Good job!! Doesn't it feel great to nail your workouts!! Just remember to keep you fat really low for you post workout meal, you want those complex carbs to absorb right to your muscle fast! I have learned so much about workout nutrition during these last few months. I wished that I would have discovered these little tricks so much sooner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropshot001 View Post
new here, looking forward to learning from everyone here.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #1735
Blabbermouth!!!

I am still pretty much staying away from grains - been doing lots of reading. But I will have an occasional bit for training purposes only like sweet potato/oatmeal.

My weigh-in/bodyfat analysis is today. I have been focusing on weights and much less cardio. My cardio has been like 3 days a week and my weight training has been more like 4 days a week. We shall see what happens.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #1736

Good luck with it ayana!

coach put me at two weeks maintenance cals/diet break and a one week training break.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #1737
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good job!! Doesn't it feel great to nail your workouts!! Just remember to keep you fat really low for you post workout meal, you want those complex carbs to absorb right to your muscle fast! I have learned so much about workout nutrition during these last few months. I wished that I would have discovered these little tricks so much sooner.

Thanks for the info!! I would love to be able to afford a nutritionist but I can't. I've been reading Oxygen from cover to cover and they offer some good advise, imo. I am still learning about pre/post meals. All advise is welcomed.

2nd GOAL - to weigh 215 by March 2015

3rd GOAL - to weigh 200 by June 2015

4th GOAL - to weigh 185 by 9/19/15 When I turn 55.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #1738

A Gym

Still waiting for my BFL book... the gym at my apartment is NOT going to cut it. It works just fine for the HIIT it has three treadmills an eliptical and a recumbant bike so I even have options. Will NOT do it for the weights.

I'm peeping out a gym RIGHT by my house owned by a san jose bodybuilder. Its called builttuff (builtuff.com) they drawbacks to it being the hours (7-9 weekdays, 8-1 saturday, closed on Sunday) but it might still work. There is also a 24 hour fitness within 4 minutes drive of my house that of course gets awful reviews online.

I guess I'm most worried about being able to get to the equipment/free weights I need. Yeah its going to be lame being the fat girl in a gym but I'll get over it.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #1739
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Hey everybody. Trying to skim this thread to catch up a little.

Things are going well for me. I've basically transitioned from my stronglifts 5x5 program to the starting strength 3x5 program. I'm hitting some stalls on my bench press, which is to be expected since I can still bench 50 lbs or so more than I can squat. I'm an animal on the deadlifts right now - the days I deadlift are my favorite.

Quote:
I'm peeping out a gym RIGHT by my house owned by a san jose bodybuilder. Its called builttuff (builtuff.com) they drawbacks to it being the hours (7-9 weekdays, 8-1 saturday, closed on Sunday) but it might still work. There is also a 24 hour fitness within 4 minutes drive of my house that of course gets awful reviews online.

I guess I'm most worried about being able to get to the equipment/free weights I need. Yeah its going to be lame being the fat girl in a gym but I'll get over it.
Kisha,

The hours of operation for a gym are pretty important. Being closed on Sundays would be big drawback for me. But, if you can comfortably work around that schedule, having rest time on Sundays, it shouldn't matter too much.

I'm not sure what exercises you plan on doing, but if I had to "gym shop" all over again, I would have picked a gym with more than one power rack. It's a pain to either wait for the rack or constantly be asking somebody if you can "work in".
Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #1740

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
Hey everybody. Trying to skim this thread to catch up a little.

Things are going well for me. I've basically transitioned from my stronglifts 5x5 program to the starting strength 3x5 program. I'm hitting some stalls on my bench press, which is to be expected since I can still bench 50 lbs or so more than I can squat. I'm an animal on the deadlifts right now - the days I deadlift are my favorite.

Kisha,

The hours of operation for a gym are pretty important. Being closed on Sundays would be big drawback for me. But, if you can comfortably work around that schedule, having rest time on Sundays, it shouldn't matter too much.

I'm not sure what exercises you plan on doing, but if I had to "gym shop" all over again, I would have picked a gym with more than one power rack. It's a pain to either wait for the rack or constantly be asking somebody if you can "work in".
Thanks for the input Matt, I'm going to be doing BFL which I don't have the book but I'm pretty sure a rack comes into play on some of the exercises at some point. Right now I think I'll take a tour of the neighborhood gym and see what its like, and then perhaps take the one week free trial of the 24 hour fitness to see for myself what all the horrible reviews are about LOL.
Closed Thread