Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 08:48 AM   #1651
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vanessa40
Stats: 220/140/125
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: March 2010
Jami-
I have always weighed out my food. Using measuring cups always seems to be more than what it should be..
I'll look you up on the other forum..
Thank you so much for all your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #1652
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Vaness, YAH, that sure makes a difference dosent it! 1/2 cup ends up being 3/4 cup easily..
Im in the teams forum over there in the bfl site
Old 05-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #1653
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceymichelle
Stats: 150/127/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 12
Jami,

I have been dieting forever! I even kinda dieted when I was prego! Bad I know! Anyway, Im wanting to get going with BFL! What do you mean exactly when you say maintanance for 2 weeks would help? thyanks too for the example day of your UBWK. Do you not switch to a 2nd workout for the muscle you are working for one set of 12 at the end (in his book)? Do you just do one excercise per muscle? That'd be GREAT
Old 05-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #1654
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lacey, Sometimes when dieting you are eating far too few calories. When you eat the number of calories that your body requires for you to maintain your body weight you will help "reset" your metabolism. Ileen told me to do this and our Trainer, who trains Figure and Fitness Pros, has his clients do this as well. Maintenace is Your body weight x 15.. That is the number of calories, from healthy food, you should eat for 2 weeks. This will zap those ED desires you get from dieting!! You might notice a few pounds gain, but normally its only water weight and not fat,, easy come easy go... right ILEEN!! You can do this now infact while you are starting BFL, you will have such better results with fat loss, then starting when you have been dieting for so long. I am just wrapping up my 2 weeks of Maintenence eating. It wasn't hard at all!! Now I am primed and ready for round 2 of BFL!!
Sounds scary, especially since we have the fear of seeing higher numbers, but believe me, you'll be so thankful you did!!
Old 05-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #1655
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
lacey
maintenance calories is your body wt x 15calories b.. eat that for two weeks.

THEN resume dieting..

Jami, i have no clue WHY i whooshed like that but i'll take it..

I sent Erik these this am after eating a hearty breaky about 1.5 hr prior and a ton of coffee! wee bloated lol..

Old 05-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #1656
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
lacey
maintenance calories is your body wt x 15calories b.. eat that for two weeks.

THEN resume dieting..

Jami, i have no clue WHY i whooshed like that but i'll take it..

I sent Erik these this am after eating a hearty breaky about 1.5 hr prior and a ton of coffee! wee bloated lol..

"wee bit bloated".. your not saying your bloated on those pics are you? Because DANG!

Geez You have really leaned out! I didn't think that was possible! LOL Good job!
Old 05-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #1657
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: snooks86
Stats: 6 ft, Past 270/Present 230/Goal 175 lbs
WOE: Atkins Induction
i've been doing great. i've lost 4% more body fat in the last month or so. the fat is just melting away.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #1658
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks86 View Post
i've been doing great. i've lost 4% more body fat in the last month or so. the fat is just melting away.
Great job!! How are you doing it!!
Old 05-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #1659
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
mornin' everyone, no official workouts to report since last week . Just too darn busy!

Friday I worked my day job (8hr) office job, then worked a 2nd job (7hr) which is bar work & on your feet. Saturday did the washing, shopping, errands, mowed the lawn and taught dance class (2hr). Sunday I worked my 2nd job, collected DD from a friend and went to dance meeting/training; after I got home and bathed/fed/bed DD I brought the washing in, ironed, tidied the pigsty hubby calls an office and sorted through the huge pile of paperwork he's been hording .

Having my nutrition back on track the last week or so seems to have put me back into ketosis and I am experiencing the extra energy from it ATM. I guess the 'extra' is relative as I am buzzing!! Really good to be getting things done though.

So on the scale front I have great news too. Ileen, sorry I've beaten your woosh this week - I'm into a new decade now having dropped 8#s in the last ~10 days . So weight-in this morning I'm 148.5lbs, just about to fall into my goal zone - WOOHOO!

Wish I could see the difference in the mirror, but I have noticed my new AU Size 10 (~US Size 6) jeans are looser, especially in the caboose! LOL

UBW workout sheduled for tomorrow morning, took a rest today after my weekend .

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
Old 05-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #1660
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbingCarmen
Stats: 294/294/164
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 10, 2014
Jami-your photos look great...WTG
Old 05-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #1661
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cdngirl
Wow, you are all amazing!!!! I find pics so inspiring and I know in my head that wt lifting is key but I'm so afraid to see the scale move up! I need to lose about 20 lbs. Also, how the heck do I know how much wt to start with? I have the BFL book, have had it for years, but those 2 things have always kept me from doing this...scale going up and no idea how much wt to lift?????? Any feedback on those 2 things would be awesome. You have no idea how inspired I am after sitting her for about 2hrs reading all your stories and looking at those amazing pics.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #1662
Major LCF Poster!

cdngirl, not sure I'm the right person to be your first response but rather than waiting (you sound eager ).

For me I bought an adjustable dumbbell set 20kg (~44lbs) about 1 year ago as I workout @ home. Can't remember what weight I started with, but I guess it was as much as I could lift for the exercise & reps I was doing. If you start @ 5#s and easily do the first set, then try the next weight up for the 2nd set, etc. Start lighter as you can easily go up, rather than hurting yourself or being extremely sore the next day from going to hard to fast.

You'll likely get lost of help and better information once the others have been in.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:17 AM   #1663

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdngirl View Post
Wow, you are all amazing!!!! I find pics so inspiring and I know in my head that wt lifting is key but I'm so afraid to see the scale move up! I need to lose about 20 lbs. Also, how the heck do I know how much wt to start with? I have the BFL book, have had it for years, but those 2 things have always kept me from doing this...scale going up and no idea how much wt to lift?????? Any feedback on those 2 things would be awesome. You have no idea how inspired I am after sitting her for about 2hrs reading all your stories and looking at those amazing pics.

Cdngirl, This book may be very helpful to you. Shows you the in's and out's of lifting for women, what to do, what not to do, how much, how often, etc., and goes into the imp of nutrition with training, etc.

http://thenewrulesoflifting.com/

Very good book (bible?) to have on hand as you begin a lifting program.

I also agree with Oz that you should start out light and move up to avoid injuring yourself.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:20 AM   #1664

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Cdngirl, This book may be very helpful to you. Shows you the in's and out's of lifting for women, what to do, what not to do, how much, how often, etc., and goes into the imp of nutrition with training, etc.

The New Rules of Lifting

Very good book (bible?) to have on hand as you begin a lifting program.

I also agree with Oz that you should start out light and move up to avoid injuring yourself.
you'll figure out what wt you can handle when you reach the amt of 'stated reps' and feel its too light..

start out lighter though.. might take you about a week or two to figure it out.. its ok.. over time it's the progress and progression,.

as for the scale.. really do you care if it said xx when you are two sizes smaller or fit into things you havent been able to, all the while lifting and getting stronger...

forget the darn scale.. its a tool not the be all end all.

oh.. and welcome!!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:21 AM   #1665

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozdancer View Post

Having my nutrition back on track the last week or so seems to have put me back into ketosis and I am experiencing the extra energy from it ATM. I guess the 'extra' is relative as I am buzzing!! Really good to be getting things done though.

So on the scale front I have great news too. Ileen, sorry I've beaten your woosh this week -
I'm into a new decade now having dropped 8#s in the last ~10 days . So weight-in this morning I'm 148.5lbs, just about to fall into my goal zone - WOOHOO!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 AM   #1666

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks86 View Post
congratulations!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:24 AM   #1667

Quote:

So on the scale front I have great news too. Ileen, sorry I've beaten your woosh this week - I'm into a new decade now having dropped 8#s in the last ~10 days . So weight-in this morning I'm 148.5lbs, just about to fall into my goal zone - WOOHOO!

Wish I could see the difference in the mirror, but I have noticed my new AU Size 10 (~US Size 6) jeans are looser, especially in the caboose! LOL
wooohooooooooooooo!! you go girl!
that is fantastic!!

Im currently holding most of my loss at post refeed water wt.. but having fun watching as it recedes...
Old 05-17-2010, 02:25 AM   #1668

Ileen!Your most recent pix look great!

Hard work revealed! Great job.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:29 AM   #1669

Thanks T!!

ever so slight changes.. but im looking forward to a bit more progress before i call it done for this cut.. and relax somewhat thru the summer..

Have plans for the fall to work on my delts.. they totally melt away during my diet cut.. grrrr
Old 05-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #1670
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cinnycinda
Hi all...I'm Cindy....I've done handweights, you know with dvd's and stuff but, I was always so sore that I couldn't move the next day! I really want to give it a try again...I have 5lbs handweights at home is this ok to start with? What kind of routine should I do? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #1671
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Ileen - great pix.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #1672

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnycinda View Post
Hi all...I'm Cindy....I've done handweights, you know with dvd's and stuff but, I was always so sore that I couldn't move the next day! I really want to give it a try again...I have 5lbs handweights at home is this ok to start with? What kind of routine should I do? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cinny, starting PERIOD is a good place to start. I would recommend reading the New Rules Book (referenced in the link above) and get a comprehensive understanding of what, how, when etc to train.

As for the soreness? What to do? Hang in there, but don't quit.

Stretching, warmups and recovery.

Starting a workout with 10-15 mins light cardio and stretching help reduce swelling, perhaps by increasing circulation to and from the muscle. This may help to resolve the soreness. If it doesn’t, you can either try working a different muscle group, or just give yourself an extra day or two to allow your muscles more recovery time -- since you’re just starting out. Muscles grow during downtime, not when we train. So making the muscles even more sore during a workout is not the answer. You rest as you need to, and then resume your workout after 48 hrs or so, warming up with some light cardio. Also, I’ve read that it’s a good idea to follow your training session with 10 mins or so of light cardio and/or stretching to help increase flexibility and to help decrease soreness the next day. Just starting out, anti-inflammatories are also helpful in alleviating muscle soreness until your body gets used to the stress.

With time, the soreness will lessen as your body acclimates and the muscles build endurance.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #1673
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HealthyLiving4u
Just started to go back to the gym and really do not know where to begin with this process especially with diet..My goal is drop 10-15 lbs than add 10-15 lbs in muscle..Would some know of a place where it would help me to structure a diet plan? Searching all over the internet gets to be a little overwhelming at times..
Old 05-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #1674
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Hi Gals. I've been off board for a while. Last two weeks have been crazy with end of the year schooling paperwork AND DD's dance recital. Working for the dance studio is wonderful but last week I was gone from early afternoon until late in the night.

My eating has been horrible as I've lived off fast food drive threw and the stuff dance mom's have brought by. I don't 'feel' fat... but I don't feel healthy. So today is 'clean up' day. Starting now!

My gym membership has expired but I didn't resign because I knew I'd be off for these two weeks and didn't want to pay for time I wouldn't be using. Will be going tomorrow to resign and get back to lifting.

Enjoyed reading everyone's stuff... great things going on here. Thanks for posting so I can learn!
Old 05-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #1675
Junior LCF Member

Oz, Twyla and Ileen...Thanks so much to all of you for your help, I really appreciate it and I can see this is a very supportive group...that's what I need!!!! I have 5lb wts so I will start there and I will read through the BFL book again...I do have some heavier wts but will start light and work my way up...thanks again! And yes, I know Ileen, I need to break free from that $%^$#% scale!!!! I agree that it's most important to get back in my clothes that I love and can't even get buttoned up right now I've put this off for so long, for maybe 4 yrs now, I've been hating my body and I just want to like it enough that I feel comfortable in a bathing suit again!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #1676
Junior LCF Member

One more question...I see this is a low carb/wt lifting site but it seems like some of you are not on a low carb plan? Is that correct? What should my diet be like on a plan like this. Currently, I simply watch my sugar intake by following Jorge Cruise's Belly Fat Cure plan. You have to stay at 15g or less sugar in a day. Thanks in advance for all your help girls
Old 05-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #1677
Major LCF Poster!

cdngirl, not all of the people in this thread are on a LOW carb diet. However we are all eating WAY less carbs than the Standard American Diet (SAD). At most I think everyone here would say they are on a moderate carb diet.

ALL of us avoid junk carbs - sugar, white flour, white rice, processed foods, etc. Cutting sugar down/out is great , do you know that once carbs are in your system (no matter the source) they are ALL sugar! The only way to improve that is the low glycemic carbs - wholegrains, brown rice, sweet potato, whole fruit rather than juices, etc. IMO (and I'm not medically trained at all) if you have just cut out sugar added sugar, even though this is a fantastic start, if you are eating white bread, most boxed breakfast cereals, white rice, pasta, etc. then you are just swapping one 'sugar' for another.

One small disclaimer - this is what works for me! I have Poly-cyctic Ovarian Syndrom with Insulin Resistance. My body does not process sugar in all forms properly, if I continue to eat anything but a fairly low carb diet I gain weight, am constantly hungry / craving more sugar and increase my risk of developing T2 Diabetes. Most people who have been obese for any length of time have some level of insulin resistance regardless of other health problems. However, it doesn't seem from your posts that you have that much weight to loose so this may all be a mute point anyway !

Basically the way you've been eating (low fat?) isn't working for you as you've gained some weight, right? So if you've found a plan that speaks to you give it a go. You will need to stay with this style of eating for life to maintain any weight loss results. If you return to the style of eating that made you gain, you WILL re-gain! I had to learn this the hard way . I don't know anything about the 'belly fat cure' plan, does it have a maintenance plan with it?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #1678
Junior LCF Member

Hey Oz, I put on the wt just eating sugar/carbs/junk...I have a horrid sweet tooth and when it takes over, it's bad! I have done my own version of Atkins and it worked before but just cant seem to get my head in the game this time around. I do agree, it has to be a lifestyle and way of eating that I can stick with. I tried the glycemic load diet and really liked it because I could eat fruit with a few small pieces of cheese but I gained a few lbs and freaked out so am now trying the new plan I mentioned. It allows 15 g sugar and 120g preferably whole grain carbs, a day. Im just trying to find a way of eating that will fit with my lifestyle and allow me to lose when I want but also maintain when Im ready. I think BFC offers that. Another plan I use to like was the Protein Power plan and I have been thinking about trying that one with the strength training that is a part of that plan. They really stress the importance of wts and so I'm leaning towards this plan esp with wanting to get lean using weights. Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it so much.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #1679
Major LCF Poster!

cdngirl, sounds like your still trying to find you feet with this. Good luck getting the right nutrition plan for you.

Forgot before to post my UBW workout this morning - yay, I actually got out of bed in the cold and did it! I'm finding I only have time to do 2 sets with both upper & lower body now I'm concentrating more on form and tempo. I figure seeing as I'm not looking for a fitness model physic this is at least enough to maintain my current muscle mass and strength. Of course I'm lifting heavy still . So this morning looked like this:-

10min warm up on my elliptical trainer
1st circuit weights
* Chest Fly - 8 reps @ 13kg (28.6#)
* Chest Press - 6 reps @ 13kg
* Skull Breakers - 6 reps @ 13kg
* Chest Pull to Tricep Kickback - 6 reps @ 13kg
* Bicep Curl to Shoulder Press - 6 reps @ 12kg (26.4#)
2min SS cardio on elliptical
2nd circuit weights
* Chest Fly - 7 reps @ 13kg (28.6#)
* Chest Press - 5 reps @ 13kg
* Skull Breakers - 4 reps @ 13kg
* Chest Pull to Tricep Kickback - 6 reps @ 13kg
* Bicep Curl to Shoulder Press - 5 reps @ 12kg (26.4#)
~8min SS cardio on elliptical
20min yoga & stretching

Any feedback appreciated .
Old 05-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #1680

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozdancer View Post
Basically the way you've been eating (low fat?) isn't working for you as you've gained some weight, right? So if you've found a plan that speaks to you give it a go. You will need to stay with this style of eating for life to maintain any weight loss results. If you return to the style of eating that made you gain, you WILL re-gain! I had to learn this the hard way . I don't know anything about the 'belly fat cure' plan, does it have a maintenance plan with it?
Profound!

This is where you have to sit back and look at the BIG PICTURE, cdn.

As for freaking out over a gain when you introduced clean carbs, following a ketogenic diet, THAT WILL HAPPEN TO EVERYONE. It is not a fat gain. It is not a fat gain. It is not a fat gain. Are you clear on that point yet? Your body is not used to carbs, and that's how it reacts to carbs INITIALLY, the bigger influx of what it's not used to, retaining WATER weight. Your body WILL ADJUST.

This is for life, trying to meet your goal of a better you, no? Don't be impatient as you make small changes to your eating and workout habits. Let your body adjust to your changes, embrace the "waiting and adjustment" period, and put in your work. This applies to ALL types of eating styles when trying to shed body fat. There is no push-button diet that lets you drop the weight overnight AND KEEP IT OFF.

Find balance in your search for the right eating plan. But most importantly, forget the scales and be patient. Follow your plan, work your plan. Results will be forthcoming. Good things come to those who wait.
Closed Thread