Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #1531
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
I have to echo Enola! you are quite pretty!! do you have starting pictures from the beginning of your journey!

Holding onto muscle is all we can really hope for when dieting.. you'll have time to build when you reach goal if you chose.

you've done well!!
Yes I will try and find before pix. They won't be of me posing but just "before pix" in bikinis or of last summer. Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #1532
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes Twyla - bodybuilding (whether I end up competing next year or not) is the Way of Life I want!
Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #1533
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Ileen and Ayana,

LOVE YOUR PROGRESS PICS

Beautiful. Very inspiring.

Ileen, as I've probably said to you more than once before, I'd love to be a fly on the wall during your workouts.

Ayana, you've done a fabulous job in your journey. Your dedication and hard work has paid off tremendously. Good work!
i'd rather you be a gym buddy!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #1534

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
i'd rather you be a gym buddy!
"Well-ALRIGHT-then!"

I enthusiastically accept!

Old 04-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #1535
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Karla - A week won't hurt you too much if you get right back on track. The problem is when one week turns into two, which turns into months, which turns into years, etc.

Jami - you've made great progress, so stop beating yourself up. In a perfect world you could have gone to a boot camp, and had people train you and feed you all the proper foods. But it's not a perfect world, and you did the best you could. Be proud of what you've accomplished - we all are!

Ayana - looking good there girl! I love the side pic where you're facing our left (your right).

Twyla - hey hon! How's your training going? I your new avi pic.

Ileen - Still drooling over your last biweeklies. Have I told you lately that i wanna be you when I grow up?

Things are going good here. Dinner went well Saturday night with my in-laws. They enjoyed their spaghetti, garlic bread and cookie brownie bars, while I enjoyed my free meal of shrimp & veggie stir fry over brown rice and dark chocolate for dessert.

We went to the Nascar race in Talladega, AL on Sunday, and I did really well with my food. Prepping everything ahead of time made things so easy - all I had to do was grab the appropriate meal at the appropriate time and eat it. The raspberry-banana oatmeal breakfast muffins were the best I've made so far - they were yummy! I'll definitely be making those babies again soon.

OMG, you all would would not believe some of the rednecks we saw! People watching at Nascar races is very interesting to say the least. I made DH take pics - I'll post them for your amusement.

Today was UB, and I was able to up my weights on a few exercises! I also noticed that I'm finally starting to be able to see some change in the mirror! Only on my UB, because that flab on my LB is going to take some time, but still - exciting stuff for me.

I met a girlfriend for lunch today, and had my free meal for this week. We went to a Mexican place with a great lunch buffet. I was good and made a chicken fajita salad - basically fajita meat and veggie over a bed of lettuce, topped with pico, a bit of guac, and some salsa. I stayed away from everything else - tacos, burritos, enchiladas, taquitos, sopapillas, etc. I did have a few tortilla chips though, because hey, it was a free meal! I also had a serving (5 squares) of a yummy cappuccino chocolate bar that I picked up at the grocery store. It was a great free meal if I do say so myself!

No more free meals for me until after my next biweekly, which is next Tuesday. Man, I can't believe that I've been working with Erik almost a month already!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #1536
Blabbermouth!!!

Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Ayana, WOW girl! You look great! Good job! You look so tiny, and your leaning out nicely!! Dont you just LOVE lifting!!
questions.. I love eye shadow.. What kind do you use?? Where did you get your short? LOL
Thanks! I bought those shorts at Walmart and got pink ones just like it to wear over my bikinis last year. They are too big now. I just went to Old Navy and bought 3 shorts in a size 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo! I bought black, tan, and dark brown.

My eyeshadow - love makeup!!!! I use MAC, Kat Von D's shadow kits, NARS, and Loreal's Duo Eyeshadows. All of the above are high pigment. On these pics, I am using Kat Von D's makeup - get it at Sephora.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #1537
Blabbermouth!!!

Laura - I hear ya. Today I had my "Free" meal and back to business tomorrow. I do another weigh in/bodyfat in 2 weeks (5/10/2010).

So today I had a Cadillac margarita, a bacon cheese burger, and a small salad. For dinner, I had chicken moo goo gai pan with brown rice. Oh and I had a bite of my mom's homemade white chocolate cake.

Back to work (secular and gym) tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #1538
Major LCF Poster!

So jealous of your margarita and especially of your moo goo - I that stuff!

It's funny how I had no cravings at all after my free meal. I am really loving my plan!

Today is HISS cardio. Of course my attempt will quickly turn into HIIT cardio, but that's okay. Or will be, as long as I beat my last effort. Which I will do, come hell or high water! I can do this!

Just as soon as my breakfast settles a bit more so that I don't hurl!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #1539
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Hi y'all. Got back from the beach Sunday night. Monday was all clean eating since I'm in detox mode from the trip. Ballet was last night. Today should be gym, but guess who left her wallet/driver's license at the ballet studio down in Lilburn last night? Yep, that would be me... so no 'unnecessary' driving until hubby brings it home today.

I probably wouldn't have a great work out anyway since I'm fighting off a migraine. Don't know what brought it on, unless it is detox... but I sure do hurt... Could be allergies, moving from the beach air back to the Ga. pollen count. Could be the storm trying to move through... I don't know, but I feel yuck.

Anyway... if I ditch the headache maybe I can just do push ups and squats... they can be done anywhere!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #1540
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
I figured I better check in on this thread and see how everybody is doing.

I've been sick and missed about a week of workouts. I had strep throat & a stomach flu at the same time - let me tell you, it sucked.

Other than that, I'm enjoying my Stronglifts 5x5 program.

I've also been reading up on stuff that Mark Rippetoe has written. He's the guy behind the Starting Strength 3x5 program. Mostly, I'm trying to touch up any incorrect technique I might have with my primary barbell exercises. Plus, his Starting Strength book is just great for seeing how the body mechanics work and the physics behind lifting. To see how the exercises are broken down really helps me to use my body like an efficient machine.

I'm really loving standard deadlifts. I had been deadlifting with a trap bar for a long time, but the regular deadlifts are bringing out some great muscle definition in my back. Plus, it just feels darn good to lift heavy weights off of the ground.

I hope everybody here is doing well today.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #1541
Major LCF Poster!

OMG, a dog just attacked me while I was running today...

and I'm still kind of freaked out by it.

I was running up a short street that ends in a cul-de-sac in my neighborhood, when out of nowhere this boxer comes running towards me, growling. In the background, I see this woman come running out of her house screaming at the dog to stop. He didn't, and came at me. I thought he was going to bite me, but he didn't. He did lunge at me and scratched my leg pretty badly. The woman finally got a hold of her dog, and he calmed down. I left, and walked down to the end of the street (out of sight of the dog) before I started running again.

I almost called it a day right then and there, but I figured that I was okay, and should at least try to beat my last effort. If I didn't beat it, I had a good excuse, so I had nothing to lose. I figured out how much time I had lost, added that onto my remaining time and went for it. Much to my surprise, I did wind up besting my last effort. Not by much, but I did do it, and I'm proud of myself for not giving up.

I checked my leg after I got home, and the dog scratched me hard enough - through my running pants - to draw blood! A rep from animal control came out, took pics of my scratches, and told me that the dog would have to be quarantined for 10 days. I'm still waiting for a deputy to come out, because this woman's been sited before for allowing her dogs to run free, but still allows them to do it. Something has to be done before one of her dogs seriously harms someone!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #1542
Blabbermouth!!!

OMG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post

I was running up a short street that ends in a cul-de-sac in my neighborhood, when out of nowhere this boxer comes running towards me, growling. In the background, I see this woman come running out of her house screaming at the dog to stop. He didn't, and came at me. I thought he was going to bite me, but he didn't. He did lunge at me and scratched my leg pretty badly. The woman finally got a hold of her dog, and he calmed down. I left, and walked down to the end of the street (out of sight of the dog) before I started running again.

I almost called it a day right then and there, but I figured that I was okay, and should at least try to beat my last effort. If I didn't beat it, I had a good excuse, so I had nothing to lose. I figured out how much time I had lost, added that onto my remaining time and went for it. Much to my surprise, I did wind up besting my last effort. Not by much, but I did do it, and I'm proud of myself for not giving up.

I checked my leg after I got home, and the dog scratched me hard enough - through my running pants - to draw blood! A rep from animal control came out, took pics of my scratches, and told me that the dog would have to be quarantined for 10 days. I'm still waiting for a deputy to come out, because this woman's been sited before for allowing her dogs to run free, but still allows them to do it. Something has to be done before one of her dogs seriously harms someone!
That is my worst nightmare come true. Whenever I run (and I am always with someone), I am afraid of this happening. I have a fear of dogs especially pitbulls and other like them - basically scary dogs IMO.

I am so happy he didn't bite you.

Yes you better report that lady b/c she could be responsible for a child's death or something too. People!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #1543
Blabbermouth!!!

Also my husband always reminds me to have my pepper spray w/me when running or just out. You never know. The pepper spray does help with dogs. The one I have is from a gun store and it is what the police officers use. The stuff is strong. I sprayed it once (away from me) out of curiosity and I was down and out for a few minutes.

Be safe, even a few seconds of "get away" time is helpful.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #1544

Im so glad you're ok! and glad you reported it..

Seriously....I am a dog owner.. but next time.. KICK IT!

I've had to kick dogs away from my pup before.. and SHE is a bull terrier.. supposed 'mean' and she is far from it BUT other dogs always try to get her.. even wee little ones. wtheck!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #1545
Major LCF Poster!

Ayana - pepper spray is a great idea! I have some, and will definitely start carrying it with me.

Ileen - I was afraid of making it even more mad than it already seemed to be. I was probably stupid, but I just stopped still, hoping the dog wouldn't think I was a thread if I was no longer moving.

Animal control came out, took pics of my leg, and told me that because the dog broke the skin, it has to be quarantined for 10 days. The woman will also be ticketed for allowing her dog off the leash yet again.

Here's what my leg looked like afterwards:

Yeah, that's gonna leave a nasty bruise or two.

I also talked to the woman's neighbor, as well as a friend who walks the neighborhood, and they've both had numerous problems with this woman's dogs.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #1546

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post

I've been sick and missed about a week of workouts. I had strep throat & a stomach flu at the same time - let me tell you, it sucked.

Hi, Matt. Glad you're feeling better and back with your game.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #1547

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post

I've also been reading up on stuff that Mark Rippetoe has written. He's the guy behind the Starting Strength 3x5 program. Mostly, I'm trying to touch up any incorrect technique I might have with my primary barbell exercises. Plus, his Starting Strength book is just great for seeing how the body mechanics work and the physics behind lifting. To see how the exercises are broken down really helps me to use my body like an efficient machine.

I'm really loving standard deadlifts. I had been deadlifting with a trap bar for a long time, but the regular deadlifts are bringing out some great muscle definition in my back. Plus, it just feels darn good to lift heavy weights off of the ground.

I hope everybody here is doing well today.
glad you are feeling better!!
i've never used the trap bar but would love to try it.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post

Laura! How frightening! Definitely carry pepper spray from now on. My brother gave me pepper spray -- he's always in "self-protect" mode, programmed that way, has his gun license, manufactures guns, etc -- and if I run in the dark esp, I make sure I take it with me.

And while you're at it report that psycho leash-less woman to the authorities.

So sorry that happened to you.

I had a similar incident in my neighborhood a couple of years ago, and I mentioned it to my C25K buddies at the time. The dog would haunt and taunt me with teeth baring and growling and chasing me EVERY TIME I'd run past that house, and the owner refused to leash the dog, even though there's a leash law in our subdivision. I yelled at the dog once when he was in "attack mode," and his owner had the audacity to yell back at me, "Don't yell at my dog!"

Well, that crossed MY LINE. So in the dark hours of the morning, I yell back at the S.O.BEE., "Then keep your damn dog on a leash!" It was only a week or so after this that I had the pleasure of spraying the sucker. Fixed his barking-chasing-taunting *ss.

I still run into that dog AND HIS OWNER from time to time, but I pretty much avoid that corner of the subdivision 99% of the time.

My story from the C25k thread:

"....a couple of years ago I had tried the running thing, and I work out early too. It was during those dark, eery hours of my morning run that I was "attacked by a DASCHUND missile," teeth baring, growling, and then nipped my ankle, at which time I sprayed his *ss with pepper spray, and took off running like the wind (he'd been chasing/barking in attack mode for a few weeks every single morning). His owner, pissed that I sprayed his precious baby (right!), gets in his truck and proceeds to stalk me as I'm running. I was so stessed out from being nipped on the ankles, now the stalking, finally got home and called law enforcement. L/E told the guy he was lucky I didn't use the pepper spray on his *ss, and told him to keep his dog leashed if he knew what was good for him.

Fast-forward the story, I've not been by that house -- morning or night -- since then, and that jerk STILL lets that animal run unleashed.

So that is why I choose NOT to run in the wee hrs of the morning this go-round....."
Old 04-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #1549

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/145.4/135
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2014
Just wanted to say hello. I'm still reading. Still eating well and doing my workouts. My weight is up about three pounds on the scale, which I don't love, but my measurements are all stable or trending slightly down. I'm going in to see my consultant in person this week, and we're going to look at my food plan and see if we need to tweak anything. Mostly I think I need the reassurance that I am indeed doing fine and not gaining everything back again!

He'll also do measurements because I can never tell if I am actually leaner or heavier when I look at myself in the mirror.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #1550
Major LCF Poster!

OMG, Twyla, what a scary story! Sometimes those little dogs are the worst!

The woman wound up surrendering her dog to animal control. So, because she refused to keep him leased, he'll probably wind up being put down. I just don't get that, especially when she'd been warned by animal control on two other occasions...

My leg's a bit sore today and is bruising and swollen along the scratch marks. I'm keeping it slathered in neosporin to reduce healing time and hopefully reduce the amount of scarring.

Today was LB, and I upped my weights on a few exercises.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #1551
Senior LCF Member

Laura, so sorry about the leg... I stopped running for that very reason. I live in a rural area on a dirt road. Plenty of unleashed dogs (no law here) and one time I was about 2 miles from home when a pack circled me and the lead dog bit me. I made it to a house just past where the incident occurred and asked for help. The guy called the county sheriff for me and I thought he was going to shoot the dog right in front of me! Turned out the dog had not had his shots so he was put down to be tested for rabies. I had to get a tetanus shot and had a huge bruise for about two weeks.

I've been scared off of running (except at a track) ever since.

But hey... you stuck to your goal and didn't let the lousy neighbor/experience ruin your day! Proud of ya!

Headache is gone (finally!) and I made it to the gym today. Did upper body and abs... really feeling the arms!

Rachel, I understand the paranoid feeling of 'what if I'm gaining it back!' Try not to fear... you said your measurements were moving downward. Have you got a pair of jeans that can be your 'measurement' pair? I know it doesn't help for upper body, but it sure can be a 'tell all' for the rest!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #1552

we do measurements with the tape measure but it comes a point when lean even that is hard and you can go by either clothes, your eyes or the mirror.

If everything is moving downward, you are on the right track, pay no mind to the scale in that case.. you cant be gaining fat and losing fat.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #1553

Yep, I've got my tape measure and my jeans are still loose, so I know I'm not undoing all of my hard work. It is weird because I no longer feel as obsessed about my program.

I can't decide if that's good...because it has become part of my life...or bad because is being unobsessed the first step down the slippery slope. LOL, I know, I'm crazy, but it will make me feel better to go and see my consultant. And to be honest about what's going on with me here. Last time I gained all my weight back, it was because I wasn't being honest with myself or anyone. I don't want that to happen again.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #1554

are you not following your program? Or are you not sure your program is aimed in the right direction?

Still leaning out was the goal or are you on maintenance break for a bit (which wouldnt be a bad idea..
Old 04-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #1555

I am following my program, doing my workouts and eating clean. I just don't feel obsessive about it. Like, I'm not thinking about it all the time anymore.

I was hoping to lean out a bit more, but I'm okay with maintaining until mid-June, when I plan to hit it hard again. I just don't want to gain any fat right now.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #1556
Senior LCF Member

I want to say it's a good sign that you are not feeling 'obsessed' about your program and that yes, it is a sign that it has become a way of life. Now eating well and exercising are the 'norm'!

I was so thrilled to go on vacation and not freak about everything I did (or didn't) do and come back and jump right into 'life as normal' which is clean eating and exercise. I think it shows progress!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #1557
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LouieLouie2007
Stats: 250+/181.8/160 or 23% body fat 5'6" 34 yrs
WOE: Atkins all the way baby!
Start Date: April 2003/Start again April 06 post 2nd child
Hiya!

Sorry I have been AWOL. 10 hour days at work and little gym time leaves me squishy and heavier.

Saw the dr though and got cleared for more activity so that's cool.

Made it the gym today and lower body weights and some of my therapy exercises for balance.

Have a great day!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #1558
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
I'm still here reading, just haven't managed a workout . I have a cold and am just feeling miserable & tired. Gotta get back to work, see you guys soon.

Laura, hope your leg is healing well - totally sucks that happened to you. I was bitten by a dog when I was a kid, not fun. Didn't break the skin, but left a heck of a bruise and hurt like crazy!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #1559
Major LCF Poster!

Hey y'all!

Quick drive by for now, as I need to get my run in now that my breakkie's finally setlled in my tummy. I've got my pepper spray, but hopefully I won't be needing it. I'm going to avoid that cul-de-sac, because even with that one dog gone, that woman still has three other big dogs, and who knows how aggressive they are? My goal is to not find out!

I'll be back later!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #1560
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: snooks86
Stats: 6 ft, Past 270/Present 230/Goal 175 lbs
WOE: Atkins Induction
i've been doing great. been in the gym 5x a week (all days cardio and 4x of lifting weights).

interval training has been melting the fat.
Closed Thread