Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #1471
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Ayana is a beautiful name!

I have a friend called Yvana too.. also very pretty..

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
The weight gain is irritating. I honestly believe (and have read) that it is all in the diet. When these "figure" or "bikini" gals are getting ready for competitions their diet is sooo strict and they aren't consuming as much as I thought. I know you aren't doing a competition but just food for thought. It will get better but DIET is where it's at.
depends on who their coach is .. Im not starving or doing any of that insane stupid stuff some of those prep coaches have their girls doing.

my diet is the same as a comp diet.. my training is the same as a competitor.. my coach doesnt diet or cardio his clients like that.. AND speaks out loud so that others know that isnt how one needs to diet to compete.

Last edited by inatic; 04-21-2010 at 11:10 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #1472
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Hey guys!

Oz - Ouch! Sorry for your double whammy.

Jami, throw your scale away! You know better then to get wrapped up with that thing! Who cares what you weigh as long as you're getting smaller and are looking better? FOCUS, girl!

Ayana - what a pretty name! Thanks for finally throwing it out there - I was getting tired of typing afuentes all the time! Have you ever considered just trying what Ileen's talking about? I didn't think that I could lose on so many calories and so little cardio either, but I am. A major switch-up to what you've been doing just might be the thing to get you moving again.

Twyla - Hi sweetie! I hope you've gotten lots more quality time with your mom.

Ileen - no kidding! I never thought that I could lose doing what Erik's got me doing, but I am. Just goes to show you just how many people have it wrong, and just how few have it right!

Cardio was yesterday, and UB today. After much deliberation, I wound up having a yummy sourdough english muffin with raspberry SF preserves. So many yummy PWO snacks, and so few training days to eat them!

We're going to see Nickelback with Breaking Benjamin and Shinedown tonight at Phillip's Arena! DH wants to leave a bit early and eat at the CNN center to make sure that we don't get stuck in lots of traffic, so I'll be bringing my dinner with me. It's already packed up and ready to go, so I have no excuses not to stay on plan.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #1473
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Quote:
Jami (thanks - my dad picked it) - I don't lose unless I am consuming under 1500 calories. I know you gals are going to say eat more but even w/the exercise, I don't lose unless it is around 1400 calories. My goal is to be in the mid 130's so that is how it is for right now.

Even when I did Atkins, I had to go b/w 20-30grams and nothing more to lose weight.

I am half endomorph and it is hard to lose for me.
I have been eating about 1500 cals, and having a day of maintenance once a week, I dont lose either. I dont want to go any lower.. but
Old 04-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #1474
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Jami, just curious: How long has it been hovering in the "stuck" mode?

How are your clothes fitting? Better? Same?

How many cals do you eat on average per day? Do you cycle your calories?

Have you considered dropping your carbs to 100 or below on non-lifting days?

Are you drinking PLENTY of water throughout the day?
thank you everyone for you input! I KNOW,Darn scale.. I should be losing though right! I know you all say dont worry about what the scales say, but, being active, eating right, and working out there should be a drop in the number at some point.

Twyla, Thank you.. I have been in stuck mode since the end of September, when I finished Atkins Induction. I stayed at 139-140, then I changed my WOE to BFL, and I gained just 2 pounds.. I normally stay around 141-142.5. Clothes are fitting, same, tight, loose.. Today they are loose, which is cool, especially since I am 4 pounds heavier... LOL On a daily average my cals are around 1500 mark, give or take 50.. My carbs are 120-140. I look better now than I did before I started lifting because I have built muscle. But, I feel like Im not losing fat like I should. I feel like I am just maintaining. water is decent. I know that I could handle to drink more..
On cardio and off days my carbs are lower because I am not eating pre and post workout meals like I do on lifting days.

Ayana~ Its amazing how different trainers will prep their clients for competitions. Some competitors really do have a strict diet, and they do WAY to much cardio. Ileens coach is more sensible. He actually lets his clients eat, and will adjust the cardio that best suits his clients. But you right. some of those poor souls only eat green beans and tuns everyday until they compete..
Old 04-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #1475
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Laura, I saw Breaking Benjamin, and Shinedown before, Great show! Im jealous! I wanna have fun!
So, I am dying to know this ERIK SECRET! I guess I'll pay up! I thought I was doing pretty good with my nutrition.. Complex carbs for my meals around lifting, lean meats and veggies and fruits for the remainders... On cardio days I cut down on my carbs and cals..
Old 04-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #1476
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
I need to meet this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
Ayana is a beautiful name!

I have a friend called Yvana too.. also very pretty..

depends on who their coach is .. Im not starving or doing any of that insane stupid stuff some of those prep coaches have their girls doing.

my diet is the same as a comp diet.. my training is the same as a competitor.. my coach doesnt diet or cardio his clients like that.. AND speaks out loud so that others know that isnt how one needs to diet to compete.
LOL! I like the way he sounds. Have any of you girls posted your menus of what he has you eating? I am sure it is different for each client. Heck you probably already have posted it and I missed it. I'll go to the other "place" too and look.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #1477
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for all the compliments on my name

Ayana - what a pretty name! Thanks for finally throwing it out there - I was getting tired of typing afuentes all the time! Have you ever considered just trying what Ileen's talking about? I didn't think that I could lose on so many calories and so little cardio either, but I am. A major switch-up to what you've been doing just might be the thing to get you moving again.

What is Ileen's formula or coaches actually? That is what I mentioned on my previous post. I am wondering if you ladies posted similar and I missed it. I like the thought of not as much cardio (although I do enjoy it too - I know weird) and not dropping calories so much. What I eat, I know, is very important.

I love weight lifting (fountain of youth) and enjoy a low carb lifestyle.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #1478
Blabbermouth!!!

I like the scale. :blush::blush:
Old 04-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #1479

Menus or plans tho have similarity are individual. We aren't allowed to post our plans tho.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #1480
Blabbermouth!!!

That is what I figured

Quote:
Menus or plans tho have similarity are individual. We aren't allowed to post our plans tho.
I went on Erik Ledin's site and liked what he said (paraphrasing): "typically females of a lighter weight require lower caloric intake so doing more cardio might be beneficial to create a deficit. This way they can eat more." Aint that the truth!

A deficit is a deficit. So far, eating more than 1400 calories makes it so I don't lose much at all. I do not do tons of cardio (4x's a week) - I mainly weight lift but I do like my kickboxing class. :blush:

So I will stick with what is working - I am still losing for now so that is a good thing.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #1481

Quote:
I went on Erik Ledin's site and liked what he said (paraphrasing): "typically females of a lighter weight require lower caloric intake so doing more cardio might be beneficial to create a deficit. This way they can eat more." Aint that the truth!

A deficit is a deficit. So far, eating more than 1400 calories makes it so I don't lose much at all. I do not do tons of cardio (4x's a week) - I mainly weight lift but I do like my kickboxing class. :blush:

So I will stick with what is working - I am still losing for now so that is a good thing.
i believe that is for lighter wt clients.. not our wt range.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #1482
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
just popping my head in to read up or I'll get too far behind. No workouts for me the last 2 days and I have a cold .

Stayed up a little late last night to watch the final of Australia's 'So You Think You Can Dance' so didn't get up early for a workout. DD came in for cuddles this morning and when I said I had to get up to bring in the washing from downstairs she said, 'and do a workout'. So I have my own little coach now - so cute.

I have dance class tonight (so cardio workout ), not sure if I'll do a workout tomorrow morning as I'm working my day job & one of my other jobs tomorrow night. Still waiting to hear if I'm working 2 shifts on Saturday as well. Public Holiday here on Monday so that'll be nice - an extra day off, just DD & I as hubby starts work at his old job Monday. Enough rambling for me, better get some work done here I guess!

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
Old 04-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #1483

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/143.4/135
WOE: OKL
Start Date: October 2014
Hi everyone!

Back from the gym. My daughter leveled up in gymnastics, which is good for her and for me...it means I can go work out 4x a week again.

I did do a "comp diet" during the last week of my in-person program and I hated every second of it. I felt very deprived and tired and only lost .5% of body fat. I only ate shrimp, chicken, fish and green vegetables. If I was going to ever compete, I'd have to find a better way for me personally.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #1484
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
i believe that is for lighter wt clients.. not our wt range.
Whatever. LOL! I have tried going higher and I gain. I am keeping what works.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:57 AM   #1485

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post

I did do a "comp diet" during the last week of my in-person program and I hated every second of it. I felt very deprived and tired and only lost .5% of body fat. I only ate shrimp, chicken, fish and green vegetables. If I was going to ever compete, I'd have to find a better way for me personally.
that doesnt make it a comp diet. There are no rules for a comp diet, other than being consistant and losing body fat..

There is a very famous trainer that puts his clients on fish and veggies , he gets results and his clients end up sick with a very high rebound/wt gain when the comp is done..

My comp diet includes ALL food/groups(protein, fat and carbs) all the way to the end. Here is a client that just competed PRO fitness (works with my coach) she ate ALL food groups through her whole prep and had all out cheat days in the final month plus before comp and refeeds prior to that.

Last edited by inatic; 04-22-2010 at 03:37 AM..
Old 04-22-2010, 03:30 AM   #1486

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post

Clothes are fitting, same, tight, loose.. Today they are loose, which is cool, especially since I am 4 pounds heavier... LOL On a daily average my cals are around 1500 mark, give or take 50.. My carbs are 120-140. I look better now than I did before I started lifting because I have built muscle. But, I feel like Im not losing fat like I should. I feel like I am just maintaining. water is decent. I know that I could handle to drink more..
On cardio and off days my carbs are lower because I am not eating pre and post workout meals like I do on lifting days.
Jami, IMO -- and I'm no expert, just have gleaned a greater understanding of how metabolism works (and doesn't work) over the last couple of years -- the 1500-give-or-take-50 is a good avg when dieting for your build and for someone who is committed to dedicated recomp, weight training, etc., but it's somewhat on the lower end of avg, and that said, I would think your body would be more responsive if you were to up your cals to the 1700-1800 range at least once or twice a week, have the 1400-1500 range once or twice a week, throw in a maintenance day once a week, and another one somewhere in between.

Consistently hovering around 1500...same ol same ol same ol deficit, your body needs reassurances that it wil not be deprived of necessary fuel to keep its furnaces running in top form.

Just.A.Thought.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:34 AM   #1487

Quote:

"... end up sick with a very high rebound/wt gain when the comp is done..."

I can believe it.

Here is a client that just competed PRO fitness (works with my coach) she ate ALL food groups through her whole prep and had all out cheat days in the final month plus before comp and refeeds prior to that.

Ileen, I can't see the pics. I wanna see!

Old 04-22-2010, 03:37 AM   #1488

try now.. i linked it from his blog..it was linked from lbf
Old 04-22-2010, 03:45 AM   #1489

BEAUTIFUL.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:52 AM   #1490
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lisa46
Stats: 164/117/128 -- 5'4"
WOE: LC with balance
Start Date: Recommitted 4-18-06
Quote:

***** thud *****

You are drop-dead amazing and gorgeous...
Old 04-22-2010, 05:03 AM   #1491

oh goodness.. that is NOT me,,., that is a friend on another site..

her name is Sandi (.i look like my avi though.

http://leanbodiesconsulting.com/blog/the-europa/

Last edited by inatic; 04-22-2010 at 05:05 AM..
Old 04-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #1492
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Jami, IMO -- and I'm no expert, just have gleaned a greater understanding of how metabolism works (and doesn't work) over the last couple of years -- the 1500-give-or-take-50 is a good avg when dieting for your build and for someone who is committed to dedicated recomp, weight training, etc., but it's somewhat on the lower end of avg, and that said, I would think your body would be more responsive if you were to up your cals to the 1700-1800 range at least once or twice a week, have the 1400-1500 range once or twice a week, throw in a maintenance day once a week, and another one somewhere in between.

Consistently hovering around 1500...same ol same ol same ol deficit, your body needs reassurances that it wil not be deprived of necessary fuel to keep its furnaces running in top form.

Just.A.Thought.
Twyla, Thanks.. I think that I have hoovered over all those calorie levels and maybe that is where the probelm came in.,. although on all those levels I didnt' lose either.. But, I will try switching things around like that for a while to see if I notice changes..
Old 04-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #1493
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lisa46
Stats: 164/117/128 -- 5'4"
WOE: LC with balance
Start Date: Recommitted 4-18-06
Gahhh...yes, I'm more than a little embarrassed.

But...it COULD be you from what I've seen on here! Anyway, you are still amazing!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #1494

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/143.4/135
WOE: OKL
Start Date: October 2014
She's beautiful!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #1495
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lisa, That was Sandi, isn't she pretty Ileen does look wonderful too though! I wish I had half the dedication she has... Dream it, see it, achieve it! RIGHT!!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #1496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa46 View Post
Gahhh...yes, I'm more than a little embarrassed.

But...it COULD be you from what I've seen on here! Anyway, you are still amazing!
Old 04-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #1497
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
OMG, y'all were busy posting it up while I was offline!

So many good posts that it'll take a year to quote and respond to them all, so I won't even try. What I will say is this:

Erik works wonders. He's able to carve beautifully sculpted bodies by having his clients eat well - and healthfully - and a minimal amount of cardio to go along with weight training. Just look at Sandi's pics - I read her journal over at LBF, and know what she was eating on her refeed days. We're talking five bowls of cereal plus lots of other stuff, people! Ileen gets refeed days when she can enjoy her nachos and other LF high carb goodies. I haven't had one yet, but definitely look forward to the day I do get one. Until then, I'll make due with my yummy PWO snacks.

I think what makes Erik brilliant is that his meal plan really is designed to help you build a better body from the inside out, instead of outside in, like so many other coaches do. I'm sorry, but eating fish and lettuce for weeks on end and doing 2+ hours of cardio a day isn't healthy. It's stupid. Erik's clients are able to maintain their weight pretty close to their competitive weight, unlike many others, who bounce up a good 10-15+ pounds in non-comp season. That in itself speaks volumes to me.

Erik may be a bit pricey, but what I'm learning from him while he's my coach is priceless. Even if I couldn't afford him after my initial 12 weeks, what I've learned so far (and I'm only two weeks in) will definitely help me stay on course to being healthy and continue to better myself.

I can't say that about the $1000+ I paid for my stupid Metobolic Research plan that I lost all that weight with back in 2003. That stupid 1200 calorie plan nearly blew out my metabolism. Thank God I found Ileen here, and got hooked up with Erik. I really think this will change my life.

*jumps off soapbox*

The concert last night totally rocked! All the bands sounded great, and we had a good time. I wound up bringing my food with me since Dave (DH) wanted to eat at the CNN Center, so I was able to stay totally on plan. I wore my size 6 jeans even if they were a bit too tight. Hell, it was a rock concert, so I fit right in! Dave told me that I looked super sexy and my friend Jen even told me that I looked tiny! I'm not, but it still made me feel good.

I was down another pound this morning, so that makes 3 lost so far. Not that a big a deal, but I lifted yesterday, so I was expecting a higher number, not a lower one. I wonder if my muscles are done holding onto that extra water weight? I'm not going to concern myself with all that too much, because I really mean it when I said that I don't give a crap about the number on the scale. I honestly have no goal in mind as far as my weight goes - my goal is to get into my size 4s.

I ran outside today for my HISS cardio. HISS quickly turned into HIIT, as there was no way that I could run that long. I about died! The good news is that I have lots of room for improvement!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #1498
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
that doesnt make it a comp diet. There are no rules for a comp diet, other than being consistant and losing body fat..

There is a very famous trainer that puts his clients on fish and veggies , he gets results and his clients end up sick with a very high rebound/wt gain when the comp is done..

My comp diet includes ALL food/groups(protein, fat and carbs) all the way to the end. Here is a client that just competed PRO fitness (works with my coach) she ate ALL food groups through her whole prep and had all out cheat days in the final month plus before comp and refeeds prior to that.

She looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #1499
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 6, 2007
Wow! I'm so far behind in this thread!

Just wanted to stop by and say hello. Been super busy, plus my mom broke her foot so I'm having to take on her chores, errands, etc.! Anyway, I haven't been working out per se (& I miss it!) but I've been running my legs off.

Staying LC and trying to get back to formal workouts!

Hope everyone is well!
Old 04-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #1500

healing thoughts to mom!!

Laura i've had Sandi's kind of refeed. Im working my way back to it.. I have a pretty generous one right now(it got increased with last biweekly update) likely uncounted carb one(which is eat as much carbs as you want (lf) sometime soon ..

and then all out free day

I cant imagine any program that puts everyone on that little food, no matter what you weigh..
Closed Thread