Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:08 AM   #1441
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
WELCOME BACK OZ!!! I feel like you have been gone forever! I thought that I had a low CCL too. I went down to 10 total carbs a day and I still didn't lose, a couple months of that and I had it! Once I changed my WOE that is when I really noticed the inches start falling.. Isn't that weird how different methods effect people differently?

Twyla~ thank you dear!! Too bad you cant go cruising around with me! It sure is fun, especally now since the weather has been so beautiful!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2010, 05:11 AM   #1442
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning Friends! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!! I am so happy that Monday is here. I know most of you it means back to work, so I hope work treats you well.
Today is LBWO.. then I PLAN to do some SS cardio when Im done.. Eats are going to be super clean..
Later today Im taking my son to Sams club. He saved his allowance so he could buy an Ipod touch... I couldn't believe that squirt saved that much money! Apparently I owe him $20 too.. LOL I keep hoping he forgets... LOL
Old 04-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #1443
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Good advice WatchmeShrink. I am a endo-mesomorph so I build muscle quickly but it is harder for me to lose fat. So yes I need the clean diet/cardio. I love HIIT.

Love your Jeep Jami!!!!

Today is upper body and cardio.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #1444
Blabbermouth!!!

What is SS and SFP?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #1445
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Hey!

We had a great weekend camping. The days were gorgeous, but the nights were a little colder than we were expecting (thanks for that, weather.com ). I hate being cold!

I stayed on plan with no problems at all, maybe because the only food I brought for myself was on-plan food! Everything was pre-cooked, weighed, and bagged up, so it was super easy to just grab the appropriate meal, and eat. This was the very first time that I've ever been able to get through a weekend camping and not blowing my diet, so I'm really proud of myself for doing so well.

My only screw-up was forgetting my pedometer, so I couldn't do my cardio as scheduled on Saturday. I improvised, making Saturday my rest day and doing my cardio on Sunday afternoon when we got back home.

Hope you all had great weekends too!

I'll be back later to get caught up after I get everything back to normal around here!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #1446
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A- hiya! Endo morph lol me too! ss stands for stead state, jogging at a certain speed the whole time... Sfp is stubborn fat loss protocol. It's an intense HIIT for 10 min followed by 20-45 minutes of cardio on a different cardio machine. I do the bike HIIT 15 sec work really hard and 45 sec rest. For 10 min... Then sit for 5 min. Then jog for 30 min.

hi laura! Glad your home! Good job sticking to ur diet!

I'm at the nail place, going to get a fill. Then I'm going to go shopping.. Yeah!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #1447
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Fill in??? Jami you get to have artificial nails??? No fair! We aren't allowed to have nails and work in the hospital.

Laura, glad you had a nice camping trip. You were so organized... I'm impressed!

Oz... welcome back... you are such a busy woman with all you do. I have dance class tonight my self. Of course I'm a student... not the teacher!

"A", I wish I could build muscle easily. I'm not finding much info about my body type... Bananas/rectangles don't get much press. Ha!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #1448
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the clarification Jami!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #1449
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
[QUOTE=jamistar77;13386798]WELCOME BACK OZ!!! I feel like you have been gone forever! I thought that I had a low CCL too. I went down to 10 total carbs a day and I still didn't lose, a couple months of that and I had it! Once I changed my WOE that is when I really noticed the inches start falling.. Isn't that weird how different methods effect people differently?
[QUOTE]

Don't think I'll be able to follow your footsteps Jami . I am insulin resistant with PCOS and loose just fine under 30g/day. I'd gotten up to about 40g/day in OWL and was just maintaining really so need to go back lower. I was hoping that the weight training would increase my CCL, doesn't seem to have as last time it was around 30g/day too!

Had a late night with dancing, this week is review party time. This is the week between term 1 & term 2 so we do a social party night. Left dancing about 10:15 last night and Monday's are the furthest from home, about 30min drive. So I was asleep about 11pm and set the alarm forward an hour to sleep in. So no workout this morning, am debabting if I should do it the afternoon before cooking dinner (+ cooking ground beef for lunches and Friday's dinner) then going to bellydancing. not sure I have the energy today - TOM is here too.

On the positive side I'm down 2 lbs this morning, only 11-12 left to get back to my pre-vacation weight and then another 12 or so to goal.

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
Old 04-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #1450
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy2BThin4Me
Stats: 219/172/155 or 20-22% body fat
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Start Date: April 3rd, 2010
Hi all,

I am pretty new here and am working the Atkins plan and I'm about 25gm/day to lose. I am getting pretty close to goal and hope to stay there once I get there. I am a total newbie when it comes to weight training and after reading this thread I am gaining and appreciation of its benefits. I want to change my body composition and gain some strength that I seem to have lost from all my past dieting attempts w/o weight training. Also it seems that my excessive cardio might have contributed to it some as well. So I want to build back up my lean mass and get stronger. I want to see muscle defition in my body. I need to continue to lose body fat (body fat scale says 32.5% and measurements w/estimators say about 29.8%) so hopefully my diet will continue that for me but I find that the more cardio I do, the worse my metabolism seems to get. I have seen that as soon as many of my running workouts get longer than an hour (like w/3.5hr training runs), my body reacts by laying on fat as fast as it can. I think it must be a survival thing but it's really getting on my nerves lol. I am ready to scale back a bit and concentrate on shorter intense bouts of intervals or HIIT workouts and continue with more strength training. I honestly started seriously working at it last week. Yep. However I am hoping to do 3 ST sessions per week (from one or less at most) and I am doing 3 sets of 15 of each exercise and working out my full body each ST day - it's taking about 40-45 mins. My questions are silly maybe: should I do my strength session before or after my mini cardio session? Is there some advantage to getting oxygen to the recently worked muscles to process out the byproducts of strength training? I have tried it both ways and I'm not sure which helps more with easing soreness. I have a hard time lifting heavier weights because I do build muscle quickly and I tend to get so hungry afterwards that I gain fat weight right along with it - causing a double whammy. I worked out twice week with weights with a trainer for 8 weeks and gained 20lbs. Ugh. I also gained a size in my pants too lol. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for. It was tough because I am an hourglass shaped gal and as time goes on, its gets harder and harder for me to shed fat. Atkins is helping that though. I lost 1.5-2 inches off my measurements in two weeks of induction...now I am trying to add in a few foods here and there during OWL but still keep the fat burning stoked. Any help would be appreciated!!! I would like to get into strength training more than I have - I have had a serious mental block against it for a while now. I am working to get over that! I have always believed it would make me gain weight! Sometimes it does, I know I get lots of water weight after a weight session while I am sore but that's not fat weight. I hope with both Atkins and weights I can finally be able to stoke my metabolism, lose body fat, and keep my exercise induced excessive appetite under control. Wish me luck!

-Michelle

Last edited by Happy2BThin4Me; 04-19-2010 at 10:09 PM..
Old 04-20-2010, 01:51 AM   #1451
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
welcome Michelle

You ideally should do your wt training first.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:09 AM   #1452
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeGA View Post
Fill in??? Jami you get to have artificial nails??? No fair! We aren't allowed to have nails and work in the hospital.
NO we aren't allowed either...... But really, who's going to tell. LOL I put these on for that wedding last month. I thought they would have came off by now. I ended up loving them. My boss even saw them and he didn't say anything. I wear gloves with every patient anyways so I dont see what the big deal is
Old 04-20-2010, 05:17 AM   #1453
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oz, I know.. Everything works differently for everyone. I wish that Atkins worked for me.. I couln't lose anything after induction. I printed out your OWL thing that you linked for me, and followed it. Oh well, You have done great on it though! And you look wonderful! Thats too bad about not noticing an increase with your CCL,, Maybe it takes some time to catch up.

Hi Michelle! Welcome. I notice too that I gain water weight after lifting heavily.. But it goes away in a week or so. I think I gained 3 lbs of water weight when I started, but I also went off Atkins WOE the same week too.. Ileen is right. I do all my lifting on days I dont do cardo, so I'll lift on Mon, wed, and fri, and do cardio on tues and thurs.. I have noticed better muscle gains this way.. You gained 20lbs in 8 weeks! Something was amiss here. That dosen't seem right. How were you eating? Dang girl
Old 04-20-2010, 07:55 AM   #1454
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, today was cardo day and it sucked :Z I did the 10 minute HIIT on the bike, then when i went to jog it off for 30 minutes I got a side stitch right off! Makes me so mad! I was so psyched up for my cardio. I really wanted to bust A$$... Instead, I ran for 5 minutes and walked fast for 5 minutes..
Old 04-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #1455
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Welcome back, Oz. How was your vacation? Any pics to share with us?

Michelle - Definitely do your strength training first - you want to be able to give your training 100%.

Karla - it was easier to get all of my food together before hand than to have to worry about doing it there at the campsite. You know the old saying, "Failing to plan is planning to fail."

Jami- I'm sorry that your cardio session didn't go as planned. I hate it when that kind of stuff happens.

Ileen - hey girl!

I submitted my first biweekly report to Erik. I wasn't expecting much in the way of losses because: 1) I'm eating carbs and sea salt like they're going out of style, and 2) I'm only two weeks into lifting heavy and tend to retain water for 3-4 weeks when starting out. I was right about the scale, but wrong about the tape measurer.

I only lost 2 lbs but also lost 5.25"!

I tried my size 6 Levis on and although they're still a bit on the tight side, I could wear them and still be able to breathe!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #1456

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
I submitted my first biweekly report to Erik. I wasn't expecting much in the way of losses because: 1) I'm eating carbs and sea salt like they're going out of style, and 2) I'm only two weeks into lifting heavy and tend to retain water for 3-4 weeks when starting out. I was right about the scale, but wrong about the tape measurer.

I only lost 2 lbs but also lost 5.25"!

I tried my size 6 Levis on and although they're still a bit on the tight side, I could wear them and still be able to breathe!

GREAT JOB!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #1457
Blabbermouth!!!

Yesterday I did upper body w/heavier weights - max 10 reps. I then did 20 minute fat burning cardio (the stairs). It was killer - sweat city.

Today will be lower body and 20 minutes of HIIT.

Jami sorry about your cardio workout - sucks.

Congrats OzDancer and welcome Michelle!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #1458
Blabbermouth!!!

Sorry I forgot - GREAT JOB LAURA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have been working so hard. I weigh in and take measurements on Monday. I will keep you ladies posted.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #1459
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A- I can't wait to see your progress! I'm sure you'll see some nice numbers!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #1460
Blabbermouth!!!

I sure hope so. I am not eating over 1400 calories this week and keeping it low carb before my weigh in. It is the same thing I did last time. I don't want extra water weight.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #1461
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ayana.. Pretty name! Eekk that's very low cals.. Good for only a quick fix... Right?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #1462
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
Mornin' everyone (OK it's afternoon here already ). No workout for me Tuesday , skipped my morning workout in lieu of sleep (late night Monday dancing). The car packed it in yesterday so I couldn't go bellydancing with no transport . Car is @ the mechanic's today, should have it back tomorrow with a new alternator - less $500, ouch! Double ouch as we need to borrow some of the money from the inlaws!!

Between washing, cooking & sewing last night I didn't find time for a workout. But I did finish the 2nd set of curtains for DDs bedroom (been 1/2 done for over a month now). She now has block out curtains on both windows which stops the street light shinning through and hopefully will stop DD waking with the sun!

Laura, sorry no pics from the holidays. Took the camera, but only got it out once and the rechargable batteries that I'd charged up were flat again ! I'm terrible @ remembering to take photos. Need to take some for my sister too .
Old 04-21-2010, 05:28 AM   #1463
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone. I am going to vent about something this is probably irreverent since I am lifting.. but, TODAY is the highest I have ever weighed since I starting dieting back in September. 145.2! OUCH! It only hurt for a minute! Started bfl at 139.8... I just dont get it! What ever, shouldn't I start weighing less if I am losing body fat?! I SHOULD! Its the whole point of dieting! Lose fat! Get smaller! Lean out! Ugh. good grief... Anyhoo...

Hi OZ~ Busy girl!! That was a double ouch! I hate having to borrow money.. There is a place here in town that rebuilds alternators and batteries, its basically all they do. Im not going to tell you what I paid... But I am very lucky that I found them, I know having to buy new ones are very expensive..

Today will be UPWO, then I am going to force myself to do 30 minutes SS cardio.. I hope that darn side stitch doesn't come back.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #1464
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Finally, a great workout! I have been having issues with my workout lately.. Not being organized even though I write everything out, feeling tired, and yuck.. Today was different. I am very pleased that I was able to do a full set of flat dumbbell bench press with 40 lbs dumbbells, and that was my last set of 4! So happy... I did 4 set for biceps and tricps and on my last sets I did progressive failures. I had a great pump, I actually had to loosen my Ipod strap on my arm.. LOL Then I did a 20 minutes SS jog. I didn't push through to 30, my legs started getting tingly again.. So, Thats my day so far. Im eating my post workout meal, yummy!!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #1465
Blabbermouth!!!

It is what it is.......

Jami (thanks - my dad picked it) - I don't lose unless I am consuming under 1500 calories. I know you gals are going to say eat more but even w/the exercise, I don't lose unless it is around 1400 calories. My goal is to be in the mid 130's so that is how it is for right now.

Even when I did Atkins, I had to go b/w 20-30grams and nothing more to lose weight.

I am half endomorph and it is hard to lose for me.

Last edited by afuentes; 04-21-2010 at 09:37 AM..
Old 04-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #1466
Blabbermouth!!!

Yesterday I did a great leg workout followed by cardio but I still don't think I pushed it enough. So on Thursday or Friday I will do another leg workout and go heavier.

It seems like I need to go heavier for my legs to see a change.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Good morning everyone. I am going to vent about something this is probably irreverent since I am lifting.. but, TODAY is the highest I have ever weighed since I starting dieting back in September. 145.2! OUCH! It only hurt for a minute! Started bfl at 139.8... I just dont get it! What ever, shouldn't I start weighing less if I am losing body fat?! I SHOULD! Its the whole point of dieting! Lose fat! Get smaller! Lean out! Ugh. good grief... Anyhoo...
Jami, just curious: How long has it been hovering in the "stuck" mode?

How are your clothes fitting? Better? Same?

How many cals do you eat on average per day? Do you cycle your calories?

Have you considered dropping your carbs to 100 or below on non-lifting days?

Are you drinking PLENTY of water throughout the day?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #1468
Blabbermouth!!!

Can't tell you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post

Hi OZ~ Busy girl!! That was a double ouch! I hate having to borrow money.. There is a place here in town that rebuilds alternators and batteries, its basically all they do. Im not going to tell you what I paid... But I am very lucky that I found them, I know having to buy new ones are very expensive..

Today will be UPWO, then I am going to force myself to do 30 minutes SS cardio.. I hope that darn side stitch doesn't come back.
The weight gain is irritating. I honestly believe (and have read) that it is all in the diet. When these "figure" or "bikini" gals are getting ready for competitions their diet is sooo strict and they aren't consuming as much as I thought. I know you aren't doing a competition but just food for thought. It will get better but DIET is where it's at.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #1469
Blabbermouth!!!

Great questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Jami, just curious: How long has it been hovering in the "stuck" mode?

How are your clothes fitting? Better? Same?

How many cals do you eat on average per day? Do you cycle your calories?

Have you considered dropping your carbs to 100 or below on non-lifting days?

Are you drinking PLENTY of water throughout the day?
Yes you might be losing inches Jami.

Cycling carbs/or calories has worked for me in the past. Also on non-lifting days, I consume less carbs/calories.

I know this was for Jami WatchMeShrink but thanks for the pondering questions. We all need to ask ourselves that at one time or another.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #1470

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
Yes you might be losing inches Jami.

Cycling carbs/or calories has worked for me in the past. Also on non-lifting days, I consume less carbs/calories.

I know this was for Jami WatchMeShrink but thanks for the pondering questions. We all need to ask ourselves that at one time or another.
Not problem at all, Ayana. I agree, feedback is great to get from everyone. Makes it easier to pinpoint problem areas.
Closed Thread