Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #1201
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Good to see ya in here Twyla!

I'd love to have a N.E Ga meeting!! we must plan

Afuentas.. Yes that is me in my avi.. Thankyou!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
Hello everyone. Yes I do cardio about 5 days a week - I like it. I know some on here don't believe in that much cardio.

I do weight training 4 days a week and just eating clean as I can. The most difficult thing for me is limiting the alcohol. I like wine and cadillac margaritas. I have to keep it in check.

I will have my bodyfat checked again tomorrow. I am seeing the differences in the mirror so we will see.

Jami - I can't wait to know the results.
Quote:
Yes the cardio helps with the drinkies although I have been drinking less since I have been focusing on losing again.

I haven't heard that cardio can make you look soft. Interesting. Even with all of the weight training? I will look into that more.

Anyways, I'm sorry about your nosebleed. That sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
the problem with the cardio is that it can cause

muscle loss
OR
the need to keep adding more when what you are doing isnt working.

There are lots od ways to add some metobolic work (like craig ballentynes stuff) without being on the the tready or running all the time.

Many people OVER use cardio as a caloric sink, when it should mostly come from your diet. Combine that will low calories and you set yourself up for metobolic damage.
This was a great post by an pro 'friend' of mine.

RAMBLINGS OF AN IFBB FITNESS PRO: CONVERSATIONS ON THE TREADMILL

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #1202
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Thanks for the info ladies. I appreciate it. I am currently eating 1400-1500 calories a day. When I do cardio I burn only 250-400calories unless I am kickboxing and then it is like 600calories.

So less cardio???? I will see how that goes. I really want to get these 15lbs off of me.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #1203
Blabbermouth!!!

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
YES! I'd love to sleep in, but I have to eat 1.5 - 2 hours pre workout, and I like to workout early... well, after I drop DS off at school at 830.. hehe
be careful with that back business! If effects everything! I hurt my back last may, and I wasn't able to workout for 7 months! I tried a couple times, but my leg would go numb immediately, even a short walk to the cafeteria at work any my leg would tingle. We did an mri and there was no disc, but, there was some swelling around a nerve. Took forever to heal..

I have a tough time with the scale too! It's best not to even look at it! I only weigh once a week, just for the heck of it. If you are staying 90-100% with your nutrition and you are getting your workouts you'll be fine. When I started I weighed less than I do now, but I have lost 2 inches off each thigh, and 1 inch off my waist.. Scales dont show anything, but body weight. If you think you are stuck.. Maybe increase your weight you lift?? Its amazing how much more you can lift. I see women at the gym doing arm curls with 8lb dumbbells and it kills me and they have a trainer next to them!! Then they look at me like I'm a nut when I grab the 25lb dumbbells to do bicep curls. Which really isn't a lot, but they would never think of increasing their weight..
It kills me too when women are like using 3, 5, 8lbs weights. I feel they are wasting their time. Of course you have to start somewhere but they just don't get it. Women can lift alot heavier than they think.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #1204
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Hi everyone! I finally got my results from Hydrostatic underwater weighing!

Here it goes, these are all the body fat measuring devices that i've used this past week and this is how they compare!!

The thing they put on your bicep at the gym that the trainers use.. 17.3%
Digital scale.... 15.3%
Hydrostatic underwater weighing... 20.1%
Those are some big differences huh! Goes to show, look at the BIG picture! Leanness, less appearance of body fat. Those numbers really mean jack!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #1205
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
LAURA~ Im so happy for you!!! I love my dig food scale! I weigh everything now! It funny how off those measuring cups, and scoops are! I was eating way over what I thought was 1500 cals! Then when I started measuring in grams it way eye opening!
That is on my agenda. I need a digital food scale now. My original food scale is so old and the ounces are chipped off.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #1206
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
It kills me too when women are like using 3, 5, 8lbs weights. I feel they are wasting their time. Of course you have to start somewhere but they just don't get it. Women can lift alot heavier than they think.
I know. And the thing is, is that they are flinging the weight up and down like its nothing.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #1207
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Twyla - it's so good to see your smiling face here! I'm sorry that your mother's still sick, and hope she's feeling better soon.

NeGA - How long have you been doing what you're doing? It might be time to shake things up. Here's my Smith cage:

Ileen - Erik won't be having me do squats in it either, and I'm glad. I hate doing squats in Smith cage - they aren't as hard, and don't feel quite right. He'll have me doing some UB stuff in it, including lat pulldowns, which I love!

Jami - I remember you saying something about that. It's amazing how measuring cups seem to hold so much more than they actually say they do. I'm glad that you're taking the news of your testing with a grain of salt. They are just numbers, and don't really mean that much when compared to what you can see in terms of results.

Afuentes - I agree with Ileen & Jami about the cardio. I love doing it (and will miss it), but Erik got me doing very little of it each week. It's all about the lifting.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #1208

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 8
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Jami, fascinating about your bf% results. The good news is that all of those numbers point to a woman with a lean body--you! I agree that it's the look and not the numbers.

Karla, how long have you been following your program? Sometimes change is good, but sometimes consistency is good, too.

Laura, I'm excited to hear that you've gotten your plan, hooray! Will your calories remain about the same as where you started with him?

I guess I'm the weakling of the bunch, lol. I have a hard time with 15 pound dumbbells for biceps and struggle with 5 pounds on lateral shoulder raises. I do have good form, and I admire women who can lift 20, 30, 35 and more! I just had to say that there's nothing wrong with starting where you are and progressively getting stronger. One of the reasons I like lifting weights is that it's me against me.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #1209

Quote:
Thanks for the info ladies. I appreciate it. I am currently eating 1400-1500 calories a day. When I do cardio I burn only 250-400calories unless I am kickboxing and then it is like 600calories.

So less cardio???? I will see how that goes. I really want to get these 15lbs off of me.
i dont want this to sound snarky so dont take it that way.

Does taht include your 'drinks' or free meals?

Your calories, at 150lbs seems too low..

The cardio burn the machine is telling you is optimistically over rated.. and really it doesnt matter what the machine says but the energy you put into it.

have you tried a few short hiit sessions and leave it at that... Or some metobolic work.

I just hate to see one caught in the need more cardio/cut the cals and then before ya know it.. you've shut your body down.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #1210

jami way to go on the BF!

really, like you said who cares! No one on stage ever asks your bf
Old 04-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #1211
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
I guess I'm the weakling of the bunch, lol. I have a hard time with 15 pound dumbbells for biceps and struggle with 5 pounds on lateral shoulder raises. I do have good form, and I admire women who can lift 20, 30, 35 and more! I just had to say that there's nothing wrong with starting where you are and progressively getting stronger. One of the reasons I like lifting weights is that it's me against me.
Rachel,

Don't worry if you feel you are lifting less than your peers. You are right, it is better to start light and do it right.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
Rachel,

Don't worry if you feel you are lifting less than your peers. You are right, it is better to start light and do it right.
form always trumphs wt! Increase as you can.

The opposite of people not using enough wt is those swing wt around with attrocious form.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #1213
Blabbermouth!!!

Ileen yes the cardio machine calorie screens are overrated. I usually take off 10-20% and use that as my guide. I like HIIT and have done it. Just don't do it everytime. It is a great burn though.

The 1500 calories doesn't include my workouts but what I eat.

So for breakfast I will have: proatmeal w/almond milk and coffee w/a non dairy creamer.
Lunch is usually: a salad with protein (chicken, steak, etc)
Snack: almonds (I am addicted to Smokehouse but I have to watch the salt)
Dinner is mostly: Proteing w/veggies and sometimes brown rice or sweet potatoes but only sometimes. Another option is chicken or beef fajitas with one corn tortilla. I also do fish of course with veggies on some nights.

Exercise: weight lifting and mostly 30-45 minutes of cardio. I subtract what I burn so I am probably getting in around 1700-1800 calories a day. When I don't exercise, I don't go over 1500calories.

The weekends only change with wine or martinis. So the calories will be higher on these days. When this happens, 2 drink minimum for me.

I love weight lifting (fountain of youth) and enjoy a low carb lifestyle.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #1214
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
How long have I been doing what I'm doing? Good question!!! Looking back at my records I've been LC'ing for 1 month and serious about weights for about the same time. I think I had a one week jump on the weights vs. the diet, but I can't remember and my food journal doesn't tell me.

So, really not all that long. I've lost a few pounds... One day I saw 173 on the scale and that shocked me into action but those first couple of pounds fell off like over night. I'm around 164/165 right now.

I do a mixture of weight work. Some of it is free weights for arms, but really only bicep and tricep. Most of what I do is machine weights and I'm consistently working on increasing the weight. For lower body I do squats and lunges as well as some machine work. I was working really hard on long cardio sets, but after reading here I've cut that back to more of a warm up thing. I did just add the once a week boot camp type work out which is mostly cardio with large muscle work.

I'm sure I need to just give myself some time. I do know that the first time I did lunges I didn't walk for several days and now they just make my legs feel wobbly.

I e-mailed Erik just to see what it costs. I'm afraid it will be way out of my price range, but it can't hurt to ask.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #1215

how do you figure 1800 cals? Are you tracking exactly how many cals you are eating?

Calories from training is not much. Our coach advices to not even count it.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #1216
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
how do you figure 1800 cals? Are you tracking exactly how many cals you are eating?

Calories from training is not much. Our coach advices to not even count it.
I use ******/or Calorie King to track my food calories. When I track how many calories I burn I know for sure it is very general. I go by my heart rate/weight/age/etc. Some days I don't even count in the "supposed" calories I burn off. My main focus is counting the calories of my food intake and making sure my food is "good food".
Old 04-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #1217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

rachel you are not the weakling! Lol I only do 5-6 reps with the 25lbs. And lateral raises are hard, your weight will increase.
I want to comment on everything in here but I'm using my phone and I hate it!! Waaaaah!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #1218
Blabbermouth!!!

Jami your results are fantastic. One day I will get the "under water" body fat testing. I am probably more like 25% body fat. hehehe.

I am down 3-4lbs in two weeks but my bodyfat is the same. I will be patient.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:49 AM   #1219

Quote:
Jami your results are fantastic. One day I will get the "under water" body fat testing. I am probably more like 25% body fat. hehehe.

I am down 3-4lbs in two weeks but my bodyfat is the same. I will be patient.
what do you use to measure BF? Do you use a tape measure?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:09 AM   #1220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning everyone! I am a little peeved. Darn scale. I swear. Logic would tell me, that, after dieting and working hard for 2 months that a little bit of scale weight would drop... I understand that after only a month of a fresh new plan, but 2 months?! I weighed the heaviest that have weighed since I dont even know when.. What the heck! I know that I have lost some fat, and that has to weigh something. I think that I am past that "sweet spot"
GRrrrr!!!

Alright, I am geering up for upperbody workout today!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 AM   #1221
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LouieLouie2007
Stats: 250+/181.8/160 or 23% body fat 5'6" 34 yrs
WOE: Atkins all the way baby!
Start Date: April 2003/Start again April 06 post 2nd child
Morning!

Hell week this week. So far working 10 hour days and no lunch. Co=worker on vacation and we are doing our best to cover her (our performance guarantee is 100% accuracy and timeliness) but its taking a toll. No gym at all. Hoping to get away to go there this evening.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #1222
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Louie! I feel for ya, and I know what those long days are like. I can no way get to the gym on sat and sun because of our crazy schedule and working 13 hour shifts.. it sucks! We are getting a new mri scanner, so now we are down to one, with the same volume of patients.. it is crazy! Im just happy it only lasts for 3 days, and not all week like you are doing. That is nuts, She's coming back soon right?
Old 04-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #1223
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Siggie
Good Morning all. Catching up on reading the post. Still doing Power 90 today is 24/90. Working out with the trainer today at 4 and then spin class at 7.

Today the trainer is taking measurements and taking my weight.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:59 AM   #1224
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning. Happy Hump Day. Of course for Jami and I it's just the count down to work... yuck!

Jami, sorry the scale isn't acting as if it is your friend. How are the other measurements coming? Tape measure, clothing fit???

Louie, hate that you are getting killed at work, but wow, a company that actually strives for 100% these days!?!? Hope your co-worker has a short vacation.

I 'talked' to Erik via e-mail last night. He is of the opinion that my hcg diet in 2008 killed my muscle (what little I had then). Between that diet and my age it seems I have a long road ahead of me.

I'm looking over finances to see what I can do. Hate to sound 'poor mouthed' but I don't think I can swing the full thing... training and nutrition... so... if you had to choose one which would you choose? They are so interdependent I'm thinking of just flipping a coin.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #1225
Senior LCF Member

Hi Siggie. We were hitting send at the same time! You are an exercise machine right now, aren't ya? So the 24/90 means day 24 of a 90 day cycle? Good job! I know several women who have started... and PX90 type program. Don't know a single one that has finished.

Never been to a spin class. They look interesting!

Have a great day.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #1226
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Jami - step away from the scale, hon! Who cares what it says when you're smaller, and have more muscle now than you did before? Hell, if I looked like you, my scale could say 400 lbs and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest!

Karla - What are your goals? 164 seems pretty reasonable for someone as tall as you are. Are you trying to lose anymore weight, or just gain muscle and lean out some? What have you tried so far?

Well, Day 1 on Erik's plan went well. Instead of just thinking about losing weight 24/7, I was actually doing something about it. Luckily I had what I needed for breakfast, so after eating that, I went out to get the food I'll be needing for the next two weeks. Then I came home and did some food prep, making brown rice, and cooking up some meat. That'll be super important since I have to eat so often.

My stats from yesterday, per ******:

Calories 1,734
Fat 63.4 (32 %)
Carbohydrate 115.9 (26 %)
Dietary Fiber 22.2
Protein 175.1 (42 %)

I did my first workout - cardio. It was weird to not do cardio for at least half and hour or an hour, but I did what I was supposed to. I'm going to miss doing my fun cardio - step aerobics and Turbo Jam, but they'll still be there when I can do them again. And they'll be more for fun on occasion, because I know now that's not the way to lose weight.

Today is my first weight training day, and I'm excited! Hopefully this lower body workout won't absolutely kill me. It's been awhile since I lifted heavy...
Old 04-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #1227
Senior LCF Member

Laura, first - glad to read that you are pleased with your new plan. You wrote about 'lifting heavy'. How heavy is 'heavy'?

As for me... The mid 160's is a 'reasonable' number for my height (and age so they say) but I qualify for the term 'skinny fat'. I don't think my 160's is a really healthy 160. I'm sure I lost muscle during my weight loss (Erik thinks I lost TONS of muscle) so I'm squishy... and you have to say squishy with your nose wrinkled up and shaking your head in a negative fashion.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #1228
Blabbermouth!!!

I was joking

Quote:
what do you use to measure BF? Do you use a tape measure?
I did the caliper and digital body fat test and they were between 21-23%. I am thinking the underwater test is more accurate and my bodyfat might just be higher than I think. But I will just continue working hard to shred.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #1229
Blabbermouth!!!

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeGA View Post
Good Morning. Happy Hump Day. Of course for Jami and I it's just the count down to work... yuck!

Jami, sorry the scale isn't acting as if it is your friend. How are the other measurements coming? Tape measure, clothing fit???

Louie, hate that you are getting killed at work, but wow, a company that actually strives for 100% these days!?!? Hope your co-worker has a short vacation.

I 'talked' to Erik via e-mail last night. He is of the opinion that my hcg diet in 2008 killed my muscle (what little I had then). Between that diet and my age it seems I have a long road ahead of me.

I'm looking over finances to see what I can do. Hate to sound 'poor mouthed' but I don't think I can swing the full thing... training and nutrition... so... if you had to choose one which would you choose? They are so interdependent I'm thinking of just flipping a coin.

I did the hcg last year (2 rounds - 40day and then a 21 day) and my muscle didn't go anywhere. In fact, with that diet, I only lost fat and my muscles popped out. I have maintained for six months and in just a few weeks have lost 4-5lbs. I need to drop close to ten more though. Doin it "the old fashioned way" now.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #1230
Senior LCF Member

Afuentes, I lost 65 lbs. on hcg and really fast. At the time I was thrilled, but my hair stopped growing, my skin became terrible, and I had no strength. The doctor that I did the program with had a very fancy machine for determining lean body mass vs. fat and he tested me both at the beginning and at the end. I didn't understand it then, but the results did show that while I was losing a higher percentage of fat, I was losing lean mass as well. I guess it's a YMMV thing.
Closed Thread