Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #1171
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Quick drive by for me...

I'm still waiting for my plan, but am continuing to workout and get those extra calories and carbs in. I feel like a lowfish though, and will be happy when I can drop the carb level. Never thought I'd ever say that!

Glad you had a nice vacation, Rachel!

Ileen, hope that you're enjoying your vaca!

Jami, I know that you can do this hon, and rock that challenge!

Afuentes, WTG with your workouts!

Nega - where exactly are you? DH & I love going up to Helen whenever we get a chance.

Bring It On - Awesome article! I'd heard something like that before, and it was nice to see the why behind the idea.

Louie - glute & leg work - what a love/hate relationship, huh?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #1172
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Laura, I live in Jefferson, about 20 miles west of Athens. Our property is for sale (10 acres) and we will be looking for something further up I-85 (maybe Franklin County?) at some point. Of course I finally talk my husband into the move and a full blown recession hits... gotta love my luck!

Sorry you are still waiting on that 'plan'. How long does it take to have that baby?
Old 04-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #1173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Happy Easter everyone! Who is working out today??

Not me. I am hoping to get off work early, and then I might go to my parents house for dinner...
Old 04-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #1174
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/145.4/135
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2014
Happy Easter, everyone!

I'm hoping for a short light intensity cardio session today. I would love to walk, but it's frigid here again. So, I may go to our little clubhouse gym.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #1175
Senior LCF Member

Hi Jami and Rachel (and those yet to come). Blessed Easter to y'all too!

A little church I drove past on the way to work this morning had on their marquee "Son Up Service at 7a.m." Nice was to present the Easter message.

Good luck getting off work early. We've been slammed in our ER. Our MRI tech just left hoping to make it to his mother's for Easter dinner before he is called back in.

Rachel, sorry your weather is 'ick'. I saw the other night where the women's soccer was being held in Salt Lake and they were playing in a snow storm! Loved the part where the girls dropped to the ground and make snow angles to celebrate a goal! How often does THAT happen in soccer?

Haven't weighed in a few days. "Feel" fine and have been eating on program so I've just let it go. Still really sore from the boot camp experience and working on stretching all that out. Good thing I don't have ballet tomorrow (the studio is on spring break)... I can just do some light cardio for a warm up and then stretch, stretch, stretch!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #1176
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HI Karla, Hopefully your day slows down, although those busy days like that are good for making it go by fast. I havent weighed myself this week either. My weight seems to be holding pretty steady though... I bet if I stuck to my plan 90% or more I would see some more leaness/fat loss...
It is beautiful here, although tonight thunderstorms are going to be rolling in.. I love thunderstorms...
We just have 3 patients left for the day, on of them is in the units so I am hoping that will be easy, he isn't on a vent so that helps..
Maybe the Drs will stay home with their families and not order anything else,, wishful thinking..
Old 04-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #1177
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Hello everyone. Yes I do cardio about 5 days a week - I like it. I know some on here don't believe in that much cardio.

I do weight training 4 days a week and just eating clean as I can. The most difficult thing for me is limiting the alcohol. I like wine and cadillac margaritas. I have to keep it in check.

I will have my bodyfat checked again tomorrow. I am seeing the differences in the mirror so we will see.

Jami - I can't wait to know the results.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #1178

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/145.4/135
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2014
We got our walk in, even though it was cold. I also got a resistance band to try out...I really like it. I'm going to get a couple more and will do resistance bands as my fourth workout during the week (can only get to the gym three times.)

See you all tomorrow!!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #1179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning everyone! I AM SO HAPPY ITS MONDAY!! Monday is my Saturday We were so busy this weekend. I was able to leave an hour earlier yesterday so that was nice.
Afuentes, wow, that is a lot of cardio. Do you justify the cardio so you can have your drinkies? Is it you "payoff" LOL I know that you like it, but too much cardio can actually make you look softer, I guess it just depends on your goals. I only do cardio 2 times a week and each session is only about 25 minutes, 5 min warm up and 20 minute HIIT. I hope I get my results today! I am dying to know now.. i was going to be patient, but I might text her to see if she has it yet.

Today is LBWO. I am going to do.
rdl, Bulgarian squats, extensions, curls, jump squats, calves (hate them!) I need to work on my abs as well.. The side obliques are fine, I just need to get the "6 pack" going,
Old 04-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #1180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ileen, I hope your knee gets better!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:26 AM   #1181

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
thanks Jami..

It's not likely to.. something i'll have to deal with, especially as i age and this sport.. Im no spring chicken (turning 48 in may!)
Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #1182

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Drive-By hellos to everyone. I've been very much AWOL, due to my mother's ongoing illness, and I've missed reading/visiting with everyone and feeding on the inspiration of everyone's progress.

It will take me forever to catch up on all that I've missed reading in this thread since I've been "absent."

Busy week for me, so may not get much reading/posting done.

I've stayed committed to my own program nevertheless. It's far cheaper than therapy.

Glad to see that everyone is still going at it...
Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #1183

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
thanks Jami..

It's not likely to.. something i'll have to deal with, especially as i age and this sport.. Im no spring chicken (turning 48 in may!)

Knee injuries. Bummer. Huge bummer!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #1184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Twyla! Nice to see you! Im glad you got to enjoy your Easter with your mother! Seems like you all had a very nice day... I hope your knee is better too! Trying to avoid those injuries is tough. One minor slip and that's it..

Ileen. What do you mean "No spring chicken"! What ever silly girl! 48 is the new 30 girl friend! Didn't you hear!! LOL

I just got home from the gym, and I am eating my PWO meal, Protein oatmeal.. (Lauras fav! ) hehehe... Just kidding, she hates the stuff, I like to give her crap about it!! haha

While I was at the gym, I completed my first set of RDL's and I got a HUGE nose bleed! It was quite the scene! 15 minutes of dealing with that inconvenience, I resumed, and wow, I was so nauseous from the blood that ended up in my stomach.
After all that, my workout was really crappy. I was weak, and I just felt like I couldn't recover after my sets. My heart rate was really increased, it was hard to catch my breath.. I dont know what happened. Just a fluke!!
I almost did everything I wanted on my workout line up, but I only did 3 sets instead of 4 like I wanted. Oh well, Just one day! Right??
RDL 3 sets, high rep, 70x20, 90x15, 100x12
Bulgarians, 20lbDBx15, 25lbDBx15, 25lbdbx10
leg curls, 100x15, 115x12, 115x10,
calf raises machine, 153x15, 170x12, 185x10
BLAH... Yawn...
Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #1185

wow what caused the nosebleed?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #1186
Senior LCF Member

Jami, wow... bleeding out in the gym... bet that wasn't pretty... but I'm sorry... I had to laugh. I can just see the look on all the 'strong men' faces when the 'cute girl' starts bleeding. Were there any 'rescuers' in the crowd? Wonder what made your pressure go wonky? Pollen irritating the nasal membranes?

It is a wonderful "saturday" isn't it??? I slept till 11!!! I always need a recovery day after the weekend. We were slammed on Saturday but really not terrible Sunday. ER was full, but not so much going to radiology. Which was a miracle considering the ER docs that were on.

Ileen... please don't talk about knees and age! I'm 4 years older than you (I'll be 52 in Oct.) and my knees creak their way through most of what I do. I'm hoping to build strength around them. Do you take or consider taking any supplements for joint cartilage?

Twyla, loved your line about "it's cheaper than therapy". I'm beginning to feel that way about my gym time. The workout deals with stress and the 20 minutes in the tanning bed is 'my time'... it's only 20 minutes, but when I first went in there I couldn't turn my brain off... I fidgeted the whole time! I've finally learned to just breath and relax for a whole 20 minutes!

Rachel, there are some great moves with bands. I had to work with them after my shoulder injury last year. I'd like to get some new ones (firmer) but it's just 'on the list'... There is a weight trainer I've seen that does almost ALL resistance work. I'll have to look for his site and post the link. It's interesting.

Afuentes, I should do more cardio since I have a lot of fat to loose still and I'm sure I need the cardio-vascular conditioning. My gym has a 30 minute limit on the machines but now that it's Spring/Summer I guess there is no excuse not to get outside!

And by the way, what is a Cadillac Margarita? Or should I not find out???

Laura, still looking forward to hearing about your new training plan. And I have a new 'dream'... I want to set up a meeting between you, Ileen and me! I think having my picture taken between you to and posted all over the house would be excellent motivation!!!

Y'all all have a blessed day. No ballet tonight (spring break for the studio). So, I think I'm off to the gym. They'll all drop dead seeing me there on a Monday!
Old 04-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #1187
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ileen~ I have no idea what caused the nose bleed.... Who knows.. I hope it doesn't happen again though.. Im sure it wont. I'm not a nose bleed type of person.. LOL

Karla, 11 o'clock!!! Geez! I guess after 16 hours of work you really NEED all that sleep.. Wowzers! I woke up at 630 this morning, and got out of bed at 715... My sleep ins aren't as long, but I do try to get my 8-9 hours... Bed time is starting to be my favorite time of day. No rescuers at the gym, I don't even think anyone noticed which is good because I like to be.... not noticed. I cant imagine how they didn't, it was a gusher. LOL Although, when I was in the break room doing to head tilt nose pinch a woman walked in and asked me if I was ok, and she handed me more paper towels. hehe. That is crazy that you didn't have anymore ER patients. It seems like doctors now days order so many unnecessary dx testings. I just want to yell at them and say "USE YOUR BRAINS DUMMIES!!" I dont know How they can manage anymore without dx, ct or mri???

I was wondering what a Cadillac margarita was too?? Its sounds like something I'd probably like.. LOL
Old 04-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #1188
Blabbermouth!!!

Good for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
We got our walk in, even though it was cold. I also got a resistance band to try out...I really like it. I'm going to get a couple more and will do resistance bands as my fourth workout during the week (can only get to the gym three times.)

See you all tomorrow!!
You aren't letting the weather stop ya.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #1189
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow!

Quote:
thanks Jami..

And that is you in the avatar. Congrats on looking fantastic.

My goal - to look as good as you when I reach 48!

I have a few girlfriends who are 42, 45, and 49 - all have had children and are HOT!!!!! It can be done. I am 31 and childless so I have no excuse.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #1190
Blabbermouth!!!

Karla - a cadillac margarita is my fave!!! I get one with Silver Patron Tequila, grand marnier, and whatever else they put in it. I like a sugared rim instead of salt rim. I think I might have one this weekend. LOL! I haven't had libations in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #1191
Blabbermouth!!!

LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Good Morning everyone! I AM SO HAPPY ITS MONDAY!! Monday is my Saturday We were so busy this weekend. I was able to leave an hour earlier yesterday so that was nice.
Afuentes, wow, that is a lot of cardio. Do you justify the cardio so you can have your drinkies? Is it you "payoff" LOL I know that you like it, but too much cardio can actually make you look softer, I guess it just depends on your goals. I only do cardio 2 times a week and each session is only about 25 minutes, 5 min warm up and 20 minute HIIT. I hope I get my results today! I am dying to know now.. i was going to be patient, but I might text her to see if she has it yet.

Today is LBWO. I am going to do.
rdl, Bulgarian squats, extensions, curls, jump squats, calves (hate them!) I need to work on my abs as well.. The side obliques are fine, I just need to get the "6 pack" going,
Yes the cardio helps with the drinkies although I have been drinking less since I have been focusing on losing again.

I haven't heard that cardio can make you look soft. Interesting. Even with all of the weight training? I will look into that more.

Anyways, I'm sorry about your nosebleed. That sucks.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #1192

the problem with the cardio is that it can cause

muscle loss
OR
the need to keep adding more when what you are doing isnt working.

There are lots od ways to add some metobolic work (like craig ballentynes stuff) without being on the the tready or running all the time.

Many people OVER use cardio as a caloric sink, when it should mostly come from your diet. Combine that will low calories and you set yourself up for metobolic damage.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #1193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
the problem with the cardio is that it can cause

muscle loss
OR
the need to keep adding more when what you are doing isnt working.

There are lots od ways to add some metobolic work (like craig ballentynes stuff) without being on the the tready or running all the time.

Many people OVER use cardio as a caloric sink, when it should mostly come from your diet. Combine that will low calories and you set yourself up for metobolic damage.
What she said
Old 04-06-2010, 06:44 AM   #1194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone! Hope you all have a great day! Im so happy spring has sprung! The trees are blooming! As well as the flowers..

Im getting ready to go to the gym. Today is abs and HIIT.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #1195
Senior LCF Member

Jami, you really are a morning person, aren't you?

My low back is still so mad at me. I did upper body yesterday and some stretching, but I'm even having trouble finding a comfortable spot for sleeping. I was going to run today, but I'm afraid to and abs are out of the question.

I'm not sure what to do, but I'm going to the gym and do something.

My scale isn't moving at all. I need to check my measurements and see if there is even the slightest change. I know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Might be time to change something.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #1196
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
I got my plan last night!

I can see how Erik is known for "dramatic physique transformations" - between his meal plan and his workout plan, I think I'm in for some awesome results.

Luckily, I had all of the makings for my off day breakfast. So, I'm eating that now, and then I'm off to go buy my required food as well as a digital scale. My old postal scale just isn't going to cut it anymore!

Later, I've got to look up some of the exercises Erik has me doing - I'm not familiar with a few of them. I'm excited to se that he has me using my Smith Cage for a few things - how nice that that poor thing will actually be used. DH just had to have it a few years ago, but he never uses it...

Hope everyone's doing well. I'll catch up with y'all later today.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #1197
Senior LCF Member

Congrats Laura. I know you are thrilled to have 'the plan'. I think I'm jealous...

Off to Google 'smith cage'... no idea what that thing is...
Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #1198

yay Laura!!

he's never had me use the smith machine for squatting but i've used it for rack pull ups and close grip presses..
Old 04-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #1199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeGA View Post
Jami, you really are a morning person, aren't you?

My low back is still so mad at me. I did upper body yesterday and some stretching, but I'm even having trouble finding a comfortable spot for sleeping. I was going to run today, but I'm afraid to and abs are out of the question.

I'm not sure what to do, but I'm going to the gym and do something.

My scale isn't moving at all. I need to check my measurements and see if there is even the slightest change. I know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Might be time to change something.
YES! I'd love to sleep in, but I have to eat 1.5 - 2 hours pre workout, and I like to workout early... well, after I drop DS off at school at 830.. hehe
be careful with that back business! If effects everything! I hurt my back last may, and I wasn't able to workout for 7 months! I tried a couple times, but my leg would go numb immediately, even a short walk to the cafeteria at work any my leg would tingle. We did an mri and there was no disc, but, there was some swelling around a nerve. Took forever to heal..

I have a tough time with the scale too! It's best not to even look at it! I only weigh once a week, just for the heck of it. If you are staying 90-100% with your nutrition and you are getting your workouts you'll be fine. When I started I weighed less than I do now, but I have lost 2 inches off each thigh, and 1 inch off my waist.. Scales dont show anything, but body weight. If you think you are stuck.. Maybe increase your weight you lift?? Its amazing how much more you can lift. I see women at the gym doing arm curls with 8lb dumbbells and it kills me and they have a trainer next to them!! Then they look at me like I'm a nut when I grab the 25lb dumbbells to do bicep curls. Which really isn't a lot, but they would never think of increasing their weight..
Old 04-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #1200
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LAURA~ Im so happy for you!!! I love my dig food scale! I weigh everything now! It funny how off those measuring cups, and scoops are! I was eating way over what I thought was 1500 cals! Then when I started measuring in grams it way eye opening!
Closed Thread