Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #1111
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Today is cardio and abs.

Starting tomorrow, my new line up will be
legs/abs/cardio,
then chest/tris/shoulders/abs/cardio,
then back/biceps/abs/cardio,
and I will end the week with legs/abs/cardio.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #1112
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
Hi everyone, just catching up & popping my head in. No weight training for me just been busy/tired. I did a HIIT + steady state cardio + yoga/streching workout Saturday morning. First full cardio with HIIT workout I've done in ages and it felt great. Must be doing something right ATM as the scale is cooperating down to 154lbs (70.0kg) this morning and back within 10# of my goal.

Planning an UB weights workout this afternoon and I have dance class tonight. Hoping to see something in the 60kgs on the scale before I leave for our vacation on Friday.

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
Old 03-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #1113
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 8
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Hi everyone,

Rest day today...just took a short hike with my daughter and enjoyed some sunshine! We fly out to Las Vegas tomorrow. My plan is lots of walking and eating low carb when I am there. I'll resume my workouts next Friday night.

I won't have internet access while I'm gone...making this a computer free vacation. Have a great week, and I'll see you next weekend!

Rachel
Old 03-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #1114
Major LCF Poster!

have a wonderful vacation Rachel.

I'm leaving for 2 weeks vacation on Friday, also not likely to have internet access although hubby is taking his laptop. Luckily the appartment resort has a gym (no real luck, it was a prerequisit for me ) and a pool which DD (6) will want to spend most waking moments in so should be pretty active for me too .
Old 03-29-2010, 06:00 AM   #1115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
If you want to check out a sick website (sick in a good way), look at Gym Jones:

Gym Jones - Power, Speed, Endurance, Suffering and Salvation

I hope this link is okay - I don't think there is anything on there that competes with Netrition.

This is Mark Twight's site. He's the one that trained the cast and stuntmen for the 300 movie.
WOW, that man on that pic looks like ME when Im at the gym!!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:07 AM   #1116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanu2 View Post
Hi everyone- I just love this thread! I began my weight loss journey last may and to date have lost 55 lbs. which I reached in September. I have always found that training heavy was the quickest road for fat loss. In September I started to add carbs back into my diet (brown rice, oatmeal, sprouted bread) and I plateaued. I was thinking of doing an atkins induction diet for two weeks and see what happens. I have 20 lbs. to lose to get to my goal weight. I'm lifting 4-5 x's week. My cardio consists of at least 2 1 hr spin classes/wk, 1 boot camp style workout and 2 5k runs. Every trainer I talk to says I need the carbs but I just don't think that works for me. I even followed the BFFM program for a month (NOTHING).

Any suggestions or advice????
Itanu2, You plateaued when adding in complex carbs, when you took those back out did you start losing again? How recent did you start lifting heavy? When you start getting closer to your goal weigh, you will need to modify your calorie in take to compensate for lower body weight, and also, since you are THAT much closer to goals the speed to goal will be slower than it was in the beginning.
All I agree with all those trainers that you talk to.. Those complex carbs like Oats, brown rices, etc, will help you with weight training. You need to feed your muscle to get muscle, and you cant feed your muscle without carbs. I found that adding in the carbs only around my workout times, and then eating low carb the rest of the time really helps.. My physique has really changed once I went off the Atkins wagon. HUGE difference!!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #1117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning everyone!! It was such a busy, fast, weekend. We had so much fun. I danced so much Saturday night in my 3 inch stilettos, I have blisters, and my feet were so sore the next day I could barely walk, which means they must have looked great! LOL I did drink a little too much... I didn't realize how MUCH until after the music stopped... yowza!!
Anyways. Im back, and Im getting ready to head off the the gym for a much needed LBWO. 3 days off from the gym! That is the most Ive taken off in so long.. I can really tell too! I feel yucky!
Louie~ I was reading about your 300 workout. That workout sounds great! I was looking up Craig Ballentines workouts like that and they are really good.. I was thinking about incorporating that somewhere into the mix... I wish that my job was to workout! My normal job is really getting in the way! I need a better gym too, with extended hours..
Old 03-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #1118
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 6, 2007
Popping in to leave a quick hello. Major spring cleaning going on this morning and this afternoon I'm headed out for an afternoon in the park with my sweetie!

Have a great Monday everyone!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #1119
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Hey y'all!

I hope everyone had a great weekend. It was a busy one for us. Besides feeling like I was having to eat all. day. long , we got a lot done.

Saturday, DH and I took our dog to hike Kennesaw Mountain, then ran errands the rest of the day. Sunday morning, we ran to Home Depot to get the rest of the things we needed to get started on our fireplace remodeling project. We spent the afternoon removing the mantle, then breaking and removing the tile that was on the hearth. That's when we found the problem - the idiot contractors didn't use concret backerboard for the tiles on the wall. They put the tile right on the sheetrock, which is a big no-no. Needless to say, we now have another step in our project - to replace part of the sheet rock that was damaged.

In other news, I should be getting my info from Erik by Wednesday, so that I can start his plan on Thursday the 1st. I can't wait to see what he's got in store for me.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #1120
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LouieLouie2007
Stats: 250+/181.8/160 or 23% body fat 5'6" 34 yrs
WOE: Atkins all the way baby!
Start Date: April 2003/Start again April 06 post 2nd child
I got to run today!

The physical therapist put me on the treadmill today and let me run. Oh man I certainly feel it now, but man, it was almost exhilarating! Now my balance was crap today, but I'll take than run any day of the week.

I see the Dr. Wednesday. I so hope he clears me.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #1121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Siggie
YEAH for you Louie. Sounds like your sprain was way worse than mine.

I went to my trainer today. He is concentrating on my form and having me feel as well as see when it is right. I love that he explains what I am working and why.

15/90
Old 03-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #1122
Major LCF Poster!

Louie, hope you get the all clear from the Dr.

Didn't find the motivation Monday afternoon to workout. I had a dentist appointment and don't remember having local anesthetic in my face before. It was a really wierd feeling and I think because they are students they use a lot of anesthetic (went to the dental school as I'm eligable for free dental care there and can't afford it otherwise). Was worried I'd be unable to eat dinner as I literally couldn't feel my top front teeth, top lip and nose . But it wore off enough that I could eat something before dance class.

Ended up doing my UB weights workout this morning, so haven't missed anything so far this week. Bellydancing tonight which is the last class of term and my last class for 3 weeks due to being on vacation when the new term starts in 2 weeks.

Kept my weights the same as last week's UB workout and concentrated on better form. Still weaker on my left side for bicep curl to shoulder press. My right hamstring has been really tight lately too so I think I might have a problem in my back affecting both. While I am on vacation I'll get a massage & adjustment from Dad to hopefully fix the problem .

Only 3 sleeps till vacation!!! Probably won't be online while I'm away, but there is a gym & pool at the apartments so I plan on keeping up my exercise routine. Will be interesting to use a weights machine instead of free weights for a few weeks; also they have treadmill & exercise bike I think so again different cardio machines for a few weeks.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #1123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
As the work weekend is over and Monday has come to a close I have nothing major to report. I did have dance class this evening and all the bending to the knees and back up again... goodness I wish my ballet teacher would realize I'm old enough to be her mother! Why does she think my knees work like hers???

Anyway... I've got a tight hamstring on the right so tomorrow is upper body and cardio.

I've decided to try some of this oatmeal meals y'all write about. When you say you add protein powder what are you using? A flavored powder? Vanilla or chocolate oatmeal??? Doesn't really sound too good to me, but I'm willing to try.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:10 AM   #1124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Karla, I use chocolate whey. Make sure you add your protein to the oatmeal AFTER it has cooled a little bit, cooked protein powder is yucky!!!

Laura, I bet you ARE so excited about your new plan!! I would be.. I cant believe the "contractor" messed up the fireplace job. I watch that "Holmes on Homes" on HGTV and some of those people really get screwed up with their remodeling jobs.. About 5 years ago I bought some land in a housing development, I am so glad i decided not to build. I think it would have been a nightmare..

Louie, sounds like you are making some progress Slow and steady... that really stinks!! LOL At least you are able to do somethings. How is your ankle today, did it swell or anything??

Rachel and OZ, hope you girls have a great vacation!

HI, Ileen, Siggie, Afuentes, Matt, Stack, Darlene... anyone else!!??
Old 03-30-2010, 05:11 AM   #1125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh yeah, I am supposed to do that hydrostatic weigh thing today at noon.. Im curious to see how those numbers are different than the one they use at the gym.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #1126
Senior LCF Member

Jami, I can't wait to hear about your body analysis. Just sooo curious. And thanks for telling me to cool the oatmeal a little before adding the protein powder. I'm going to try it today. In my mind it's gross... I hope my taste buds feel differently!

Have to get it together early today (at least early for me!) and go to the gym. Check back later!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:51 AM   #1127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HI Karla, I hope you like it! I love it! I also use Oat bran too, it tastes like chocolate malt o meal once its mixed with the choco protein powder.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #1128
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggie View Post
YEAH for you Louie. Sounds like your sprain was way worse than mine.

I went to my trainer today. He is concentrating on my form and having me feel as well as see when it is right. I love that he explains what I am working and why.

15/90
Yeah, I partially tore two ligaments and the peroneal tendon. I still have pain and swelling over 7 weeks in, and am just now getting enough stability to wear shoes other than my trainers and my Airwalks. It's completely aggravation. But on the plus side, I have managed not to gain any weight.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #1129
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Karla, I use chocolate whey. Make sure you add your protein to the oatmeal AFTER it has cooled a little bit, cooked protein powder is yucky!!!

Laura, I bet you ARE so excited about your new plan!! I would be.. I cant believe the "contractor" messed up the fireplace job. I watch that "Holmes on Homes" on HGTV and some of those people really get screwed up with their remodeling jobs.. About 5 years ago I bought some land in a housing development, I am so glad i decided not to build. I think it would have been a nightmare..

Louie, sounds like you are making some progress Slow and steady... that really stinks!! LOL At least you are able to do somethings. How is your ankle today, did it swell or anything??

Rachel and OZ, hope you girls have a great vacation!

HI, Ileen, Siggie, Afuentes, Matt, Stack, Darlene... anyone else!!??
Yeah, the little sucker hurts a bit this morning and there is a little more swelling than usual. . But just have to grit my teeth and remember the dr said 3-4 months recovery!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #1130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HI everyone. I just got back from the university/pool... The hydrostatic weighing thing was really cool. The students there offer all types of fitness test, etc.. I am going to sign up for more things to do, LOL The people who did my weighing are going to call me with the measurement..
The other thing I am going to sign up for is a test where you run on a treadmill and they measure your Vo2... there is more info, but its something you can re do every month to try and beat your last time.. I think it'll be fun..
Well, I need to eat before my muscles eat themselves up...
Old 03-31-2010, 12:31 AM   #1131
Major LCF Poster!

finally got hubby to get some photosoff the camera. I have no idea how to pose, but here's a pic of my guns!

Old 03-31-2010, 06:01 AM   #1132
Senior LCF Member

Oz, nice to 'see' you! I know nothing about 'posing' either, but I'd say the message comes across loud and clear!

Any advice on weight training AND stretching out for dance? After I do an intense LB workout I have a hard time getting my 'stretch' back. It's like I get everything all stretched out and then the weight training shrinks it all back up again.

And, I just went and looked at your Gallery pics... While you have always been a beautiful woman, your face really shows the confidence and pride of the new body it is attached to!

Last edited by NeGA; 03-31-2010 at 06:04 AM..
Old 03-31-2010, 06:03 AM   #1133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozdancer View Post
finally got hubby to get some photosoff the camera. I have no idea how to pose, but here's a pic of my guns!

Oh my goodness!! Its you! LOL You look great OZ!!
Old 03-31-2010, 06:05 AM   #1134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Karla, You really shouldn't stretch before lifting... Just do a 5-10 min warm up on the treadmill, then lift. I never stretch on lifting days, only on cardio days... Why? I dont know the explanation for it, I have just heard many people say not to, so i dont LOL
Old 03-31-2010, 06:07 AM   #1135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Its quiet in here the last couple days. I guess everyone is on vacation... Well, Im still here, its just you girls (Karla and OZ) and me I guess..
I am getting ready to go to the gym in a little bit. I still have to eat... I slept in a little bit this morning.. DS is on spring break, wrestling is over, and I can be lazy!! YES!
Old 03-31-2010, 06:29 AM   #1136
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
OZ looking AWESOME!!

Quote:
Karla, You really shouldn't stretch before lifting... Just do a 5-10 min warm up on the treadmill, then lift. I never stretch on lifting days, only on cardio days... Why? I dont know the explanation for it, I have just heard many people say not to, so i dont LOL
Karla,You should be doing dynamic warms up PRE training and static stretching POST workout. maybe that will help..

Im heading to Destin for the week starting friday (possiblely thurs night) but will have acess

I handed in my biweekly and updated my pictures (see webshots last page) Leaning down nicely.. just working on some tough 'rear' spots.

Last edited by inatic; 03-31-2010 at 06:32 AM..
Old 03-31-2010, 06:40 AM   #1137
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Jami, I don't stretch before, I stretch after lifting. Usual routine is 10 to 15 of cardio (just enough to get warmed up) and then lift. Then after all the lifting (where it's upper or lower day) I stretch out for about 15 minutes. I'm mainly stretching torso/hips/legs. I dance ballet and I have to be able to stand up straight on one leg, grab the heel of the other leg and pull that leg out to the side. Weights tighten all that up!

And on another note... enjoy Spring break! We are at full swing... Dance recitals are only 6 weeks away and practices are coming fast and furious!
Old 03-31-2010, 08:13 AM   #1138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stackdiesel
Stats: 238/196/Unknown
WOE: Low Carb
OZ - Lookin' great! Check out those shoulders and traps! Great job.

Jami - Hi back to you from yesterday. And hi to everyone else.

Things are good on my end. Matt and I are on a 4-week VLC SKD run/ketoadaptation experiment. I am really starting to lean out. The first two weeks my training was low intensity, active recovery/deloading to give my shoulders, elbows, forearms, and wrists (and corresponding tendinitis) a break. Started ramping the intensity up last week, and so far, so good.

-Stack
Old 03-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #1139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Ileen! Dang girl!!! YOU look AMAZING!!! Geez! LOL I cant wait until I have progress like that!

I had a great compliment at the gym today. As I was leaving, one of the trainers, Brandon, Stopped me and said, dang! Your arms are Jacked! Apparently I got a great pump from my ubwo, LOL He asked me what I am doing, supplementing with, what my diet was like. I was caught off guard. I think All I said was AHHHHHH, LOL
Anyways, that is my feel good moment of the day

Hi Stack. Its so cool that you and Matt are working on that together.. I cant wait to see how everything turns out!

Karla, Oh, Im sorry, I misunderstood you I wish I was flexible like that, I stretch really good before and after my cardio, but, I can barely sit cross legged without falling back wards!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 AM   #1140
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Things have been busy here with our fireplace memodeling project - OMG, these things never seem to go as planned, do they? Meh, it'll be worth it in the end though, so I'm not going to sweat the small stuff. We're going from a plain and boring white mantle with plain and boring white tile to a cherry stained mantle with gorgeous travertine tile set diaginally. It'll be gorgeous when we're done with it! *drool*

I feel like a total pig eating all of these calories and carbs - and feel like a cow - but I know that this is the first - and most important - step in my journey, so I'm following Erik's orders. I'm hoping to get my plan from Erik today, and am so excited to get started.

Ileen - OMG, I want to be you when I grow up! You look awesome!

Jami - Your arms look fabulous - I can see why you got the compliment. See? You are making changes. WTG!

Oz - you look fabulous too! Your hard work is definitely paying off, girl!

Hello to everyone else!

Okay, time for my next feeding!
Closed Thread