Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #991
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
Mornin' everyone, just catching up & checking in. Went early to bellydancing last night as we were supposed to be practising routines for a performance on Sunday. Unfortunately I'm working Sunday so can't be in the performance but thought I'd do the training anyway - good practise & exercise .

Well noone else turned up early so I practised on my own for an hr ! Then did the class where we ended up going over all the choreography anyway.

Didn't get up this morning for a workout, still tired and really just want to sleep today. Trying to take my body's ques a bit as I don't want to burn out with my work, dancing & work-out committments.

Ankle seems all better, no problems dancing last night. Also my body seems to have decided it's going to let go of some fat again. I'm down another 600g this morning - yay! Hope the trend continues, I guess I will just keep doing what I'm doing.

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #992
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Sorry, but... what
It wasnt a critism..

I was trying to figure out if you were doing more MIIT (moderate) normally, when doing hiit, you are 'dying' and cant do more..

when we do hiit, unless specified.. it's all out intense.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #993
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 6, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
Does this break down into sets? are you following a vid or a set plan?
Yes, I do sets. I just post my total number of reps because it's easier for me that way. I'm following Venuto's Body Fat Solution book for my workouts.

ETA: I've had to swap some stuff around lately due to my tender knee which is better but not normal, yet.

Darlene! Another Alabama girl, huh? May I send you a big ROLL TIDE???

Last edited by Mayberryfan; 03-23-2010 at 05:23 PM..
Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #994
Major LCF Poster!

Updating my menu totals from earlier to include dinner. I made mock crab cakes using tuna, celery, onion, bell pepper, parmesan, 2 T. of colby jack, 1/4 cup egg substitute and some cajun seasoning. Was yummy!

calories: 1590 - fat 86g - 46g carb - 6g fiber - 138g protein

Fat was a bit too high. I usually don't eat whole eggs at breakfast, but my protein was more on target. Overall calories were at a decent level. I usually eat 1300-1400 and am pretty satisfied. I'm thinking I need to feed my muscles more like I did today and back off the fat just a bit.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #995

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/143.4/135
WOE: OKL
Start Date: October 2014
Hi all, back from the gym.

Today was chest press, machine chest press, lateral shoulder raises, cable cross overs (for shoulders, I think that is the right name), and assisted dips. Followed by 30 minutes of low intensity cardio: 5 minutes elliptical, 5 minutes bike, 5 minutes treadmill, repeat.

Good to get back to the gym!!

Darlene, rice and potatoes are fat free gluten free items that could work well in a refeed. Oatmeal is also usually gluten free (unless it's cross contaminated.) Corn chips and corn tortillas can be gluten free as well. Just some examples in case you want to explore a gluten free approach on a future refeed day.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #996
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
I did my bodyfat test last night with a trainer, Vince. He is not my trainer (don't have one) but he did it for me anyways - nice.

Anyways, it came out 21% bodyfat. I asked him about the accuracy and he said it is "give or take a few percents". He said the most accurate is the "water one". I think it is hydrostatic underwater something or another. I will do that one much later.

But this is good b/c I will be checking it every 2 weeks to watch it go down a little at a time. I want to be in the teens!!!! :blush:

So my goal for now is 19% bodyfat. We will see how long that takes me. It will be all about my diet.
This is so wonderful! I'm excited for you. I really hope my numbers drop since the last time I was tested I was told I was 30% body fat. So sad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbglasgow View Post
21% is not bad... great job and you look great!! I too want to be in the teens ... around 17%... it may take a long time and lots of hardwork but I WILL DO IT.
Why can't I imagine a 'teens' number for myself? I'm going to be watching and learning from you gals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
21% is excellent. I can tell that you're lean in your avatar photos.

I like this guy's opinions about women and different body fat percentages. I know it's not about the number...it's all about the look. And we all have different body types so our percentages are going to look different on each of us. But as someone who has never been "lean" before, this helps me visualize where I personally want to be (which may change as I get closer to what I currently think is my ideal!)

Heidi Montag Syndrome: Do You Know When To Stop? - Lose Stubborn Fat!

I think Jami has her water bf% test today, too. I'm really curious about it!!

As for me, I'm better, I'm eating again (I love my whole, unprocessed foods!), and I'm back at the gym tonight. Hooray!! I'll do my e-mail check-in with my consultant tomorrow--he's got me taking my measurements with a tape measure and sending in my scale weight once a week. So, that's how I'll be gauging my progress (and the mirror!) for the next twelve weeks.

Work hard; eat well!

Rachel
Thanks for the link. I'm looking forward to the read.

Quote:
Speaking of body fat testing. The girl who is going to do the hydrostatic under water weighing said that the center is closed today, and the rest of the week. I have it rescheduled for next Tuesday at noon..
I'm sooo disappointed... Don't know why I care so much, but I was looking forward to your read, especially after the 21%!!!

Quote:
congrats to you!!!!!!!

most accurate is an autopsy.. then dexa, then hyrdo.... anything else can be off as much as 3-5 or more percent ...depending on the trainer, experience or conditions.
I'll be sure to have that put on my headstone... "Yep, she's dead, but she made it to ____% bodyfat!"

Anyway... found a new exercise today and am feeling it tonight. Yeah! I like a little soreness, since in my mind it means I actually moved something!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:39 AM   #997
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Quote:
It wasnt a critism..

I was trying to figure out if you were doing more MIIT (moderate) normally, when doing hiit, you are 'dying' and cant do more..

when we do hiit, unless specified.. it's all out intense.
Oh... Sorry Dear, I know it wasn't a criticism !! I just didn't know what you were talking about LOL I didn't know what 20MAS meant..
Yes, I am exhausted. I have my HIIT defined in my bfl thread I have read that some people do circuits during a HIIT, Should I be doing this?? If you see something to add to it, will ya tell me??
Old 03-24-2010, 05:44 AM   #998
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Karla, ME TOO! Thanks!! I was bummed out! I guess I'll just have something to look forward to for next week. LOL

Good morning everyone! Drinkin' my coffee right now, going to eat, and then go to the gym at 840am.... Today is upperbody workout day.
I have been changing things up a little bit. I have a food scale, and I have always measured my food in ounces, and measuring cups. Yesterday I started measuring in grams and I can't believe how it effects my portions, a 1500 calorie day, is more like 1700 calories.. GEEZ! Measuring in grams from now on! maybe this has been my problem! Plus I have to find a new workout. I am totally stalled...
Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #999
Senior LCF Member

Location: Belize, Central America but I am from Helena, Alabama
Gallery: dbglasgow
Stats: 170/165/145 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb/Yeast Free/Clean eating
Start Date: July 2009/re-start July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberryfan View Post
Yes, I do sets. I just post my total number of reps because it's easier for me that way. I'm following Venuto's Body Fat Solution book for my workouts.

ETA: I've had to swap some stuff around lately due to my tender knee which is better but not normal, yet.

Darlene! Another Alabama girl, huh? May I send you a big ROLL TIDE???
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!! Yes, we are HUGE Bama fans. My Maltese is named "Bama".. our Rottie is named "Saban"..lol.

Also, we are big Andy Griffith fans.. we have all 8 episodes on DVD... we do not have cable TV where we live... we only got Internet access a little over a year ago... so we have lots of DVD's.. all our favorite shows.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:49 AM   #1000
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love Andy Griffith.. That theme song has been stuck in my head for 15 years!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #1001
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi all, back from the gym.

Today was chest press, machine chest press, lateral shoulder raises, cable cross overs (for shoulders, I think that is the right name), and assisted dips. Followed by 30 minutes of low intensity cardio: 5 minutes elliptical, 5 minutes bike, 5 minutes treadmill, repeat.

Good to get back to the gym!!

Darlene, rice and potatoes are fat free gluten free items that could work well in a refeed. Oatmeal is also usually gluten free (unless it's cross contaminated.) Corn chips and corn tortillas can be gluten free as well. Just some examples in case you want to explore a gluten free approach on a future refeed day.
Thanks, we live in Belize and there are lots of "corn" products.... all of it is made from fresh corn.... chips, tortillas, etc.... I can even buy the fresh masa and make my own if I want so I guess that is an option. However, I know that I can't tolerate much of it because of my diabetes.... also, these items are made locally and none of it has nutritional info on it so I don't know how to count the calories/fat, etc..... any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:22 AM   #1002
Senior LCF Member

I would like to hear a little about the "debate" on "Cardio". I know that I've heard many say that too much cardio can keep you from gaining muscle or even cause loss of muscle. I was doing moderate level cardio daily and I'm now doing the highest level I can do every other day... I walk for my cardio and I keep a constant pace of about 3 3/4 mph for 30 minutes. This gets my breathing to a point where I can still talk but it would be difficult to carry on a conversation. I'm giving all this info to give an idea of "intensity".

My goal is first to lose body fat... I still have some real problem areas (soft belly and flabby inner thighs) but I also want lean muscle. BFFM recommends daily cardio for fat burning. Am I doing enough? too much? Would I benefit more from increasing the intensity of my lifting instead?

This is what my last workout looked like. Remember, I am using resistant bands so I do not know exact weight and I use only body weight for some exercises. I also may not be using the correct name for the exercise. I work until very close to failure on most of these.

4 x 8 jumping squats (no ex. weight)
4 x 6 push-ups (reg. on my toes)
4 x 10 crunches
4 x 10 pelvic lifts (not sure of official name)
4 x 10 tricep dips
4 x 10 reg. squats (body weight only)
4 x 10 over head tricep ext.)
4 x 10 Bicep reg. curls
4 x 10 Hammer curls
4 x 10 calf raises
2 x 20 close hand (diamond) wall push offs

30 sec. rest between sets; 1 to 1.5 minute rest between each exercise

This was my Monday workout, I did cardio yesterday. I am still pretty sore in several areas today. Should I take it easy on sore muscles or work through it?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm the type person that I don't do anything "blindly".. I research and ask questions and then I test it. My hubby says I'm a person of extremes... what he means is that I'm "passionate"... I don't do anything half-way.. if I commit to it then I give it all I've got.

July 2012: 170 lbs.
Current: 160/sz 10
Goal: 145/ sz 6
Old 03-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #1003
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Good Morning group.

Darlene, I don't think I've mentioned that your new pic is nice!

I need to figure out how to put up a pic... well, first I have to have my daughter take one!

Dealing with a headache today. Migraine started last night and it's choosing to be a 'left over' this morning. I've had two fried eggs so that I can put some meds in my stomach and then I think it's back to bed. Don't know if I'll resolve this to work out today or not. But if I don't make it to the gym I did well yesterday. Have the soreness to prove it so if I have to count this as rest day I'll be OK with that.

Looking forward to the thoughts on the cardio question Darlene posted. I know I have fat to loose and not sure of the best way to approach it since I don't want to loose any muscle. I know I did when I lost weight 2 years ago.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #1004
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Darlene. On the cardio issue, I would range your intensities on a scale of 1-10, 1 is standing still and 10 is "all out, I cant do anymore!!" LOl I would range your cardio in spirts, from levels 5-10. A constant steady state cardio just doesn't cut the mustard... when it comes to burning fat.. One thing I have learned to, is to never do cardio before lifting weights, always after.. for you I would do level 5 for 3 minutes, level 9 for 1 minute, and repeat the cycle for 20-25 minutes..Then on your last cycle increase the highest level to a 10... After you start building up endurance than you can start changing your speeds and timing..
Old 03-24-2010, 07:18 AM   #1005
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Karla, So sorry about your migraine! Those are a killer! Luckily you are off today
Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #1006
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Good morning!

OMG, I was so hungry yesterday! I just kept eating, and eating, and eating!

Tuesday, March 23rd:
B - 4 slices of bacon + 2 eggs + 2 cups of coffee with DaVinci's + half & half
S - Carbmaster Yogurt
L - ground beef, Rotel & cheese casserole
S - ham & cheese quesadilla (used a LC tortilla)
D - tuna atop a large green salad with FF Italian dressing
S - protein shake
W - 1 gallon
E - Complete Body Sculpting (used 8, 11.5 & 14# DBs)

Per ******:
Calories 1,739
Fat 107.3
Carbohydrate 40.8
Dietary Fiber 10.4
Protein 146.8

Fat (56%) Carbs (9%) Protein (35%)

My fat was too high, but I had to get rid of the leftover ground beef, rotel & cheese casserole, so that is to be expected. I won't be making that stuff again anytime soon, because it's really addictive. Maybe I can get away with making it with ground chicken or turkey, or even shredded chicken breast.

I upped my weights a bit, and could really feel the difference in my workout. Complete Body Sculpting is an AWT (aerobic weight training) workout, and moves pretty quickly, so I won't be able to go super heavy with it. That's okay, as I really want to focus on burning fat right now. Heavy lifting - and the muscle that comes with it - can come later.

All in all, I had a pretty good day, and am feeling really positive about the changes that I've made. Hopefully some good results will come as a result.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #1007
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Laura~ I'm so jealous! LOL I wanna eat! I used to love that hamburger rotel cheese casserole! That was my fav Atkins treat!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #1008
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just got home from the gym.
chest/back/abs today, 15 minutes steady state cardio, half before, half after. Boring.. I hate rainy days.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #1009

Quote:
Laura~ I'm so jealous! LOL I wanna eat! I used to love that hamburger rotel cheese casserole! That was my fav Atkins treat!
you can do a burger or some meat with a wee of cheese and rotel in a small dish.. just do it 'leaner' i have meals with lean beef cheese and do something like that.. yesterday I used rutabagas and made 'cheese fries with a wee bit of lf cheese, lean beef, rutabagas and diced jalepenos.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #1010
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
you can do a burger or some meat with a wee of cheese and rotel in a small dish.. just do it 'leaner' i have meals with lean beef cheese and do something like that.. yesterday I used rutabagas and made 'cheese fries with a wee bit of lf cheese, lean beef, rutabagas and diced jalepenos.
Oh my gosh, that sound wonderful! I think you and I like things spicy!!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #1011

i LOVE spicy things
Old 03-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #1012
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Me too! I think I put salsa, jalapenos and Louisiana sauce on everything anymore. Sooo good, and I think it is supposed to be more satiating too.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #1013
Major LCF Poster!

Karla ~ SO sorry!! I can totally sympathize with your migraines. I used to get them ALL the time, especially when my allergies were bad. After taking TONS of Immitrex and Zomig, I figured out if I took calcium, magnesium and potassium every day I could control them. Have not had a migraine nor taken prescriptions for them in 5-6 years now. I'm not a doctor and my headaches were not connect to my cycle like many women, so you may want to ask your doctor if it's ok to try this. It works like a MIRACLE for me. Hope you feel better!!!

Darlene ~ Roll Tide and a BIG shazam!!! When I'm really stressed out, watching Andy makes me feel better. I laugh no matter how many times I've seen them! Don't care too much for the color episodes, though. But the B/W ones are CLASSIC!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #1014

magnesium was a huge help with my heads as well. My SIL doesnt get them anymore either since adding them.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #1015

Hi all!

Still feeling good. Got my new workout from my consultant. I'm doing a 4 day split this week and next, and my calories are at about 1600 per day, with a free meal once a week.

29% 121 grams of protein
30% 127 grams of carbs
40% 75 grams of fat
Old 03-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #1016

Quote:
Hi all!

Still feeling good. Got my new workout from my consultant. I'm doing a 4 day split this week and next, and my calories are at about 1600 per day, with a free meal once a week.

29% 121 grams of protein
30% 127 grams of carbs
40% 75 grams of fat
this is maintenance plan.. meaning not gaining or losing? how much do you weigh
Old 03-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #1017

Ileen, I still want to lose a little bit in this round, so my calories are still set for fat loss.

I weigh 134.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #1018
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rachel. I am excited to see your next challenge play out! I can't wait until I can hire the person who I have in mind! I think he will help me out tremendously!! There is still something amiss in my plan.... and I just can't figure it out! I have to have someone tell me.. "Jami, eat this, lift like this, run like that!" LOL It'll take some time...

I AM going to push myself to my dream body.. One day I really want to compete..
Lest discuss, non supportive people,,, LOL

I was at work last weekend, and my coworker and I were looking at pics of these figure/fitness competitors, who I think look so amazing!! I was just showing her what my goals were and where I want to be... soon She was saying things like "UGH, EWW,, Ohmygaa...,,ugh ". She knew this is what I have for my goal, and it really ticked me off how she was acting... not surprised coming from here though.. although I really don't expect or care if anyone is supportive or not.. It doesn't hinder my success or ambition.. but, gimmie a break... Seriously... its THAT bad! LOL
Enough of that rant...

If today wasn't so rainy and yucky out I would spring clean. Wash my windows, drapes and blinds...
Old 03-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #1019
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That's what the plan is - to use leaner meat with the rotel and cheese. Like I said, I bet it'd be really good with shredded chicken breast too.

Quote:
Me too! I think I put salsa, jalapenos and Louisiana sauce on everything anymore. Sooo good, and I think it is supposed to be more satiating too.
OMG, that does it - I need to make some nachos tonight! Between Ileen's talk of loving them, and your talk of salsa & jalapenos, I must have some!

*runs off to see about making them LC and somewhat LF*
Old 03-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #1020
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Rachel. I am excited to see your next challenge play out! I can't wait until I can hire the person who I have in mind! I think he will help me out tremendously!! There is still something amiss in my plan.... and I just can't figure it out! I have to have someone tell me.. "Jami, eat this, lift like this, run like that!" LOL It'll take some time...

I AM going to push myself to my dream body.. One day I really want to compete..
Lest discuss, non supportive people,,, LOL

I was at work last weekend, and my coworker and I were looking at pics of these figure/fitness competitors, who I think look so amazing!! I was just showing her what my goals were and where I want to be... soon She was saying things like "UGH, EWW,, Ohmygaa...,,ugh ". She knew this is what I have for my goal, and it really ticked me off how she was acting... not surprised coming from here though.. although I really don't expect or care if anyone is supportive or not.. It doesn't hinder my success or ambition.. but, gimmie a break... Seriously... its THAT bad! LOL
Enough of that rant...

If today wasn't so rainy and yucky out I would spring clean. Wash my windows, drapes and blinds...
That's what I get for not refreshing the page before I post...

I hated it when I used to show an old "friend" (found out she wasn't much of one, so I divorced her) pics in my Muscle & Fitness Hers magazines. All of the women looked so good IMO - very healthy, strong, but not over the top muscle-bound, and she'd do the same thing, "Ewwww, that's gross!" Meanwhile she was the opitome of an apple who ate nothing but empty processed carbs and processed fat-free foods. Not sure how she thought she looked better, but somehow she did.
Closed Thread