Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #931
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,037
Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Thanks for the responses on the 5x5 question. I have a lot to learn.

I'm feeling a little frazzled. It seems that the more I improve my body, the less satisfied I get. On all accounts I should be happy. I have a lower body fat, can lift more, and overall look better than I did when I was 18. Now I just obsess about my flaws and weaknesses.

I guess I'm just overwhelmed trying to look for the "perfect" program and even more overwhelmed trying to figure out what my "perfect" body should look like.
yorick is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #932
Way too much time on my hands!
 
inatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alpharetta,Ga.
Posts: 17,854
Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
LOL you have been bitten by the bug....

Patience.. it takes time. I've been working at it for yrs.. not so much to reach perfection to be find what my potential is.. no hurry either...

It's all fun.. Keep it that way
inatic is offline  
Old 03-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #933
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,037
Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
It's all fun.. Keep it that way
So true. I'm starting to remember some of the reasons I ever stopped my gym memberships in the past. The ultra-competitive perfectionist in me always seems to try to take the fun out of things.
yorick is offline  
Old 03-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #934
Blabbermouth!!!
 
afuentes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 5,099
Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Rachel - how exciting. I love starting something new. Hope you get to your goals.

Keep lifting everyone! I will check in w/my body fat results later.
afuentes is offline  
Old 03-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #935
Major LCF Poster!
 
Firm Hottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,830
Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Hey guys!

I'm in the midst of doing my clean refeed today, and think I've been doing pretty well with it. Keeping my ratios right about 20F/40P/40C. I'll post my menu and breakdown tomorrow.

I am exhausted today from yet another bad night's sleep. I haven't worked out yet, but really want to. Hopefully I'll have enough energy after dinner to do so.
Firm Hottie is offline  
Old 03-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #936
Senior LCF Member
 
dbglasgow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Belize, Central America but I am from Helena, Alabama
Posts: 849
Gallery: dbglasgow
Stats: 170/165/145 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb/Yeast Free/Clean eating
Start Date: July 2009/re-start July 2012
Hello everyone... I had a great total body workout this morning... 1 hr. pretty intense.

My energy level has greatly increased with the new nutrition program. I'm eating 5 small meals a day.. spaced about 3 hrs. a part. My ratios looked much better today.. calories were 1575.. fat was low.. only 20% and I was able to get plenty of protein.. 173g.

Tomorrow is my "refeed" or higher calorie day. I'm doing every 4th day at higher calories.

I enjoy reading all the posts... there is always lots of great info on this thread.
dbglasgow is offline  
Old 03-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #937
Major LCF Poster!
 
ozdancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,880
Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
Mornin' everyone. Thanks for the well wishes. My ankle is getting much better, don't need the brace today & survived dance class pretty well last night. Luckily I dance in jazz boots so my ankle is much better supported than heals.

Did my UB weights workout this morning . Didn't push the cardio, just warm up/cool down no extra cardio (resting the ankle ). Spent a little extra time stretching as the hamstring on the injured side is tight. Enjoying lifting at this weight, really challenging to keep form but I'm doing it. My weights & reps this morning:-

Chest Fly - 3 sets of 7 reps @ 15kg (33lbs)
Chest Press - 3 sets of 6 reps @15kg (33lbs)
Skull Breakers - 3 sets of 6 reps (just) @ 15kg (33lbs)
Chest Pull to Tricep Extension - 2 sets of 6 reps @ 15kg (33lbs) + 1 set of 8 reps @ 13kg (28.5lbs)
Bicep Curl to Shoulder Press - 2 sets of 4-6 reps @ 13kg (28.5lbs) + 1 set of 4 reps @ 12kg (26.5lbs)
With this one I am stronger on my right side and can do 6 reps, but only manage 4 reps with the left arm!

As usual I do 1 set of each exercise, circuit style with 2min on the elliptical between circuits. Today did 5min warm up & ~3min cool down on the elliptical, missing the 20min steady state cardio after lifting I would usually do. Then did my yoga sequence & stretching, about 30min today.

I'm pretty sure I'll be holding at these weights for UB for a little while. The only one I'm doing higher reps in is the chest fly which as I get stronger at this weight I can take out wider anyway so there is room for growth/strength at this weigh anyway.

Chugging along with my nutrition, although really needing to cut the sugar substitutes out of my diet. I have a major sweet tooth and try to avoid artificial sweeteners, however the natural sweeteners (Xylitol, Erythritol, Stevia) all give me terrible gas which really isn't a good look when you are in front of a dance class . Had to make sure I was standing under a fan as much as possible last night!! So the plan is to have diet jello (no aspartame), berries & cream (not necessarily all together) to satisfy the sweet tooth.

I still have most of a double batch of Dobie muffins (orange & poppyseed flavor) but I think I used liquid surcalose & stevia in that batch so might not be so bad. Will try & leave them for on the run snacks when I'm working bar jobs as I have limited space to carry & store food at these jobs. I have 60g fresh blueberries with 1tbls HWC for snack today @ work .
__________________
Luv & Happiness Always, Ozdancer

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
ozdancer is offline  
Old 03-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #938
Senior LCF Member
 
Siggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 842
Gallery: Siggie
8/90, trainer, ellip machine! didn't make it to the spin class
Siggie is offline  
Old 03-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #939
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 7,168
Gallery: LouieLouie2007
Stats: 250+/181.8/160 or 23% body fat 5'6" 34 yrs
WOE: Atkins all the way baby!
Start Date: April 2003/Start again April 06 post 2nd child
PT got kicked up a notch. Lots of balance stuff, increased sets and increased weights. I was actually breaking a sweat. My therapist said six more visits and I should be done. Of course its going to cost me as much if not more than my personal trainer so that has to go on hold for a while.

Had a very low carb day to start making up for the carby weekend. B: steak and scrambled eggs, lunch was steak and broccoli and asparagus with hollandaise sauce. Dinner was roast and broccoli with butter.
LouieLouie2007 is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 03:30 AM   #940
Senior LCF Member
 
dbglasgow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Belize, Central America but I am from Helena, Alabama
Posts: 849
Gallery: dbglasgow
Stats: 170/165/145 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb/Yeast Free/Clean eating
Start Date: July 2009/re-start July 2012
I did a little more info on Pre and post workout meals... I'm reading BFFM but haven't finished the book yet. Just want to make sure I'm eating to get the best benefits. This is a sample pre/post menu for what I've been doing.

Pre: oatmeal/ egg whites/ fruit
Post: smaller portion of oatmeal/ more egg whites
dbglasgow is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #941
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,743
Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Good morning everyone! Im just getting up and around. I slept in today which was weird for me. Usually I am early to rise... Today I slept in until 7am.. Felt so good.
Today is HIIT day and the gym will be packed. It usually is on Wednesday... I cant wait for the New Years resolutions to start wearing off! LOL That sounds bad doesn't it! LOL The fitness center is small, and I just want people out. HEHE..
jamistar77 is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #942
Major LCF Poster!
 
Jenn_in_NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Tampa
Posts: 2,593
Gallery: Jenn_in_NJ
Stats: 267/142/135
WOE: JUDDD/IF
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
Hey guys!

I'm in the midst of doing my clean refeed today, and think I've been doing pretty well with it. Keeping my ratios right about 20F/40P/40C. I'll post my menu and breakdown tomorrow.

I am exhausted today from yet another bad night's sleep. I haven't worked out yet, but really want to. Hopefully I'll have enough energy after dinner to do so.
Laura

Do you take anything for your sleep issues? Do you have a problem falling asleep or staying asleep? I can't function if I don't sleep.
Jenn_in_NJ is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #943
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,037
Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Good morning everyone! Im just getting up and around. I slept in today which was weird for me. Usually I am early to rise... Today I slept in until 7am.. Felt so good.
I slept in today too. I work twelve hour shifts, and get up at 04:20 on work days. I went to bed like 9 PM and didn't wake up until 7:45 AM. I don't really feel good though. It seems I feel worse a lot of times when I "catch up" on sleep. It takes a lot more coffee to get my mojo going.
yorick is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #944
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,743
Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Matt, That is too funny. That's the time I get up on work days too! LOl Luckily its only for 3 days.. What do you do?? I am an MRI tech.. I work 3 12's fri-sun. I love my bed time! Especially at the end of my 3rd day! I hear ya about the coffee!!
jamistar77 is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #945
Major LCF Poster!
 
Firm Hottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,830
Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn_in_NJ View Post
Laura

Do you take anything for your sleep issues? Do you have a problem falling asleep or staying asleep? I can't function if I don't sleep.
No, but I'm starting to think that I need to. I just hate taking medicine of any kind. I won't even take a Tylenol for a headache unless I feel like I'm dying. I have problems both falling aslepp and staying asleep. Part of the problem is that I'm a SAHM with no real regular schedule. My son is old enough to get up and get ready for school on his own, so there's no need for me to get up at 6:15 every morning, KWIM? I need to get on a regular schedule though, as that may help with my sleeping issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
I slept in today too. I work twelve hour shifts, and get up at 04:20 on work days. I went to bed like 9 PM and didn't wake up until 7:45 AM. I don't really feel good though. It seems I feel worse a lot of times when I "catch up" on sleep. It takes a lot more coffee to get my mojo going.
I hate that feeling too! I'd almost rather be sleep deprived than feel like that. I hope you're feeling better now.

Yesterday was my refeed, and I think I totally over did it with the carbs:

B - .5 cup oatmeal + 1 scoop EAS protein powder
S - Carmaster yogurt
L - 1 packet tuna + .5 cup Dreamfield's pasta + 4 tbsp FF Italian dressing + .5 cup (total) onion, celery & green pepper)
D - 6 ozs lean ham + large sweet potato + .5 cup English peas
S - 3 cups airpopped popcorn

Per ******:
Calories: 1,479
Fat: 30.2
Carbohydrate: 148.3
Dietary Fiber: 29.5
Protein:129.3

F (20%) C (43%) P (37%)

Not the best refeed in the world, but not bad for my first real shot, right? I know I would have been better off dropping the popcorn in lieu of another CarbMaster yogurt for the extra protein. Lesson learned.

Today is definitely low carb - I've gotta get this extra water weight off. I'm hating how bloated I'm feeling. Ugh.
Firm Hottie is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #946
Senior LCF Member
 
dbglasgow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Belize, Central America but I am from Helena, Alabama
Posts: 849
Gallery: dbglasgow
Stats: 170/165/145 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb/Yeast Free/Clean eating
Start Date: July 2009/re-start July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
No, but I'm starting to think that I need to. I just hate taking medicine of any kind. I won't even take a Tylenol for a headache unless I feel like I'm dying. I have problems both falling aslepp and staying asleep. Part of the problem is that I'm a SAHM with no real regular schedule. My son is old enough to get up and get ready for school on his own, so there's no need for me to get up at 6:15 every morning, KWIM? I need to get on a regular schedule though, as that may help with my sleeping issues.



I hate that feeling too! I'd almost rather be sleep deprived than feel like that. I hope you're feeling better now.

Yesterday was my refeed, and I think I totally over did it with the carbs:

B - .5 cup oatmeal + 1 scoop EAS protein powder
S - Carmaster yogurt
L - 1 packet tuna + .5 cup Dreamfield's pasta + 4 tbsp FF Italian dressing + .5 cup (total) onion, celery & green pepper)
D - 6 ozs lean ham + large sweet potato + .5 cup English peas
S - 3 cups airpopped popcorn

Per ******:
Calories: 1,479
Fat: 30.2
Carbohydrate: 148.3
Dietary Fiber: 29.5
Protein:129.3

F (20%) C (43%) P (37%)

Not the best refeed in the world, but not bad for my first real shot, right? I know I would have been better off dropping the popcorn in lieu of another CarbMaster yogurt for the extra protein. Lesson learned.

Today is definitely low carb - I've gotta get this extra water weight off. I'm hating how bloated I'm feeling. Ugh.
Hottie, how many calories do you eat on LC days? Your calories for yesterday were around the range I eat on my lowest days. I'm new to this cycling carbs too... today is my 2nd time to do a refeed... my ratios are much like yours but my calories and actual carb and protein grams are higher.
dbglasgow is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #947
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,037
Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Matt, That is too funny. That's the time I get up on work days too! LOl Luckily its only for 3 days.. What do you do?? I am an MRI tech.. I work 3 12's fri-sun. I love my bed time! Especially at the end of my 3rd day! I hear ya about the coffee!!
I work in the oil industry. Nothing too glorious, so I won't bore you with the details. I work 3 days, off 2, then work 2, then off 3. I love the schedule. It comes out to 48 hours one week and 36 the next.

My 3 days in a row is pretty tough sometimes, but not too bad. I'm usually in bed by 8:30 PM to 9PM, with a good book. Once I wind down with some good reading, I'm out like a light.
yorick is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #948
Major LCF Poster!
 
Firm Hottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,830
Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Hey Darlene.

I'm still trying to get my calories up to where they should be: around 1500-1600. I was doing the super-low 1200/day, so my metabolism's a mess. It's so hard for me to get in enough calories on LC days unless I eat a pound of hamburger, but I'm trying.

I think my ratios were pretty decent for a refeed, but again, I know that the foods that I ate weren't optimal. I need to work on that. There's a great thread here on the MM board that you should check out - "What'cha Eating?" It's old, but has some great menu ideas. I just found it, so I haven't had a chance to read through it yet, but most certainly will be doing so. I have no problems at all copying people who have met the goal I'm trying to meet!

Yes, Ileen, I'm talking about you - and Twyla too!
Firm Hottie is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #949
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,037
Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Question for Stack

Stack,

I'll ask this here instead of the BCC thread since it pertains more to lifting.

Do you think the Trap bar is a pretty acceptable alternative to traditional dead lifts? I mean, I know you use it, but I'm wondering if it is too much of a "cheat" if I'm following a program that requires dead lifts.

I worked on my deadlifting (light weight - elevated on blocks to bring it up higher) with a regular bar today, and I just don't feel really comfortable with it.
I think my technique is "okay", but I really wish I had somebody experienced to evaluate me. I haven't had anybody really show me the ropes of any exercise since highschool. I would rather use the trap bar since I'm more comfortable with the safety of my technique with that.

Sometime soon I might lift with a co-worker that does powerlifting so he can evaluate my technique on deadlift (and squat).

Anybody else on here that wants to chime in - I'll welcome all advice and suggestions.
__________________
Matt

Last edited by yorick; 03-23-2010 at 09:51 AM..
yorick is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #950
Blabbermouth!!!
 
afuentes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 5,099
Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
I have my results

I did my bodyfat test last night with a trainer, Vince. He is not my trainer (don't have one) but he did it for me anyways - nice.

Anyways, it came out 21% bodyfat. I asked him about the accuracy and he said it is "give or take a few percents". He said the most accurate is the "water one". I think it is hydrostatic underwater something or another. I will do that one much later.

But this is good b/c I will be checking it every 2 weeks to watch it go down a little at a time. I want to be in the teens!!!! :blush:

So my goal for now is 19% bodyfat. We will see how long that takes me. It will be all about my diet.
__________________
***Avatar - I'm in the red ***

I love weight lifting (fountain of youth) and enjoy a low carb lifestyle.
afuentes is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #951
Senior LCF Member
 
dbglasgow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Belize, Central America but I am from Helena, Alabama
Posts: 849
Gallery: dbglasgow
Stats: 170/165/145 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb/Yeast Free/Clean eating
Start Date: July 2009/re-start July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
Hey Darlene.

I'm still trying to get my calories up to where they should be: around 1500-1600. I was doing the super-low 1200/day, so my metabolism's a mess. It's so hard for me to get in enough calories on LC days unless I eat a pound of hamburger, but I'm trying.

I think my ratios were pretty decent for a refeed, but again, I know that the foods that I ate weren't optimal. I need to work on that. There's a great thread here on the MM board that you should check out - "What'cha Eating?" It's old, but has some great menu ideas. I just found it, so I haven't had a chance to read through it yet, but most certainly will be doing so. I have no problems at all copying people who have met the goal I'm trying to meet!

Yes, Ileen, I'm talking about you - and Twyla too!
Thanks, I'll check it out.... I' right there with you girl... still trying to get it figured out and find out exactly what works best for me. I agree... I take notes from the "experts" like Ileen and Twyla as well.... and I read a lot and then keep what works for me and toss the rest. Looks like you are doing great so far...
dbglasgow is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #952
Blabbermouth!!!
 
afuentes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 5,099
Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Do you have the protein shakes at the gym?

I usually don't b/c I like mine and they are lower in calories. Last night I got one b/c I was literally starving-stomach growling.....anyways, it was called PB&Jelly protein shake. It had 40 grams of protein, make w/choc. whey protein powder, nonfat yogurt, nonfat milk, jelly (don't know if it was sugar free) and peanut butter.

It was soooooooooooooo good but I was scared that it was alot of calories so I drank only 1/3 of it and gave the rest to my hubby. I am just so weary of those gym shakes.

What about you?
afuentes is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #953
Senior LCF Member
 
dbglasgow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Belize, Central America but I am from Helena, Alabama
Posts: 849
Gallery: dbglasgow
Stats: 170/165/145 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb/Yeast Free/Clean eating
Start Date: July 2009/re-start July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
I did my bodyfat test last night with a trainer, Vince. He is not my trainer (don't have one) but he did it for me anyways - nice.

Anyways, it came out 21% bodyfat. I asked him about the accuracy and he said it is "give or take a few percents". He said the most accurate is the "water one". I think it is hydrostatic underwater something or another. I will do that one much later.

But this is good b/c I will be checking it every 2 weeks to watch it go down a little at a time. I want to be in the teens!!!! :blush:

So my goal for now is 19% bodyfat. We will see how long that takes me. It will be all about my diet.

21% is not bad... great job and you look great!! I too want to be in the teens ... around 17%... it may take a long time and lots of hardwork but I WILL DO IT.
dbglasgow is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #954
Major LCF Poster!
 
Firm Hottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,830
Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
Stack,

I'll ask this here instead of the BCC thread since it pertains more to lifting.

Do you think the Trap bar is a pretty acceptable alternative to traditional dead lifts? I mean, I know you use it, but I'm wondering if it is too much of a "cheat" if I'm following a program that requires dead lifts.

I worked on my deadlifting (light weight - elevated on blocks to bring it up higher) with a regular bar today, and I just don't feel really comfortable with it.
I think my technique is "okay", but I really wish I had somebody experienced to evaluate me. I haven't had anybody really show me the ropes of any exercise since highschool. I would rather use the trap bar since I'm more comfortable with the safety of my technique with that.

Sometime soon I might lift with a co-worker that does powerlifting so he can evaluate my technique on deadlift (and squat).

Anybody else on here that wants to chime in - I'll welcome all advice and suggestions.
Matt, personally, I don't think anything can replace deadlifts. I love how they hit the back, glutes and hamstrings, and makes me feel stretched out after doing them. Yes, good form makes all the difference here. I've always been told that you need to keep your BB or DBs close to your legs and your back flat when going down, and that you need to really concentrate on your glutes and hams when bringing the weight back up, again keeping the weight close and your back flat. I also like doing them on a raised bench as I'm pretty flexible, and don't feel challenged if I'm doing them on the floor.

As for squats, you always need to make sure that your weight is in your heels, and that your knees do not extend past your toes. When you're doing squats properly, you should almost feel like you're going to tip over backwards.

Be careful getting form pointers from anyone but certified trainers, because of people have bad form - even the guys at the gym who look like experts. I've found that I get a lot of bang for my buck by using workout videos - workouts like the Firm and Chalene Extreme give great form pointers. But you can always pay a trainer for one session to go over and correct your form.

Hope that helps.
Firm Hottie is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #955
Blabbermouth!!!
 
afuentes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 5,099
Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Yes you will

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbglasgow View Post
21% is not bad... great job and you look great!! I too want to be in the teens ... around 17%... it may take a long time and lots of hardwork but I WILL DO IT.
The trainer told me (as we know) it will be mostly diet - clean eating - as he put it. So if that is what it takes, I am ready. I haven't been 21% bodyfat since I was in college so I am excited.
afuentes is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #956
Major LCF Poster!
 
Firm Hottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,830
Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
Stack,

I'll ask this here instead of the BCC thread since it pertains more to lifting.

Do you think the Trap bar is a pretty acceptable alternative to traditional dead lifts? I mean, I know you use it, but I'm wondering if it is too much of a "cheat" if I'm following a program that requires dead lifts.

I worked on my deadlifting (light weight - elevated on blocks to bring it up higher) with a regular bar today, and I just don't feel really comfortable with it.
I think my technique is "okay", but I really wish I had somebody experienced to evaluate me. I haven't had anybody really show me the ropes of any exercise since highschool. I would rather use the trap bar since I'm more comfortable with the safety of my technique with that.

Sometime soon I might lift with a co-worker that does powerlifting so he can evaluate my technique on deadlift (and squat).

Anybody else on here that wants to chime in - I'll welcome all advice and suggestions.
Matt, I just wrote out a long post answering you, stuck in a link to a site that showed good form, hit post, and got a message saying that my post had to be approved before it'd show up. Ugh, stupid me - I keep forgetting that some links aren't allowed here! Google "what muscles do deadlifts work", and you should find some good info..

Quote:
I'm right there with you girl... still trying to get it figured out and find out exactly what works best for me. I agree... I take notes from the "experts" like Ileen and Twyla as well.... and I read a lot and then keep what works for me and toss the rest. Looks like you are doing great so far...
Not great, but better than I was doing! I think Ileen and Rachel were so smart in hiring trainers to take the "So, what the hell should I eat?" factor out of the equation. It'd be so nice to have someone tell me exactly what to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
Do you have the protein shakes at the gym?

I usually don't b/c I like mine and they are lower in calories. Last night I got one b/c I was literally starving-stomach growling.....anyways, it was called PB&Jelly protein shake. It had 40 grams of protein, make w/choc. whey protein powder, nonfat yogurt, nonfat milk, jelly (don't know if it was sugar free) and peanut butter.

It was soooooooooooooo good but I was scared that it was alot of calories so I drank only 1/3 of it and gave the rest to my hubby. I am just so weary of those gym shakes.

What about you?
No way in hell would I drink a shake that I couldn't see the nutrional info on! Some of those things are packed with as many carbs as a candy bar. Not bad when you're on a higher carb day, but bad when you're on a low carb one.
Firm Hottie is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #957
Blabbermouth!!!
 
afuentes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 5,099
Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
Matt, I just wrote out a long post answering you, stuck in a link to a site that showed good form, hit post, and got a message saying that my post had to be approved before it'd show up. Ugh, stupid me - I keep forgetting that some links aren't allowed here! Google "what muscles do deadlifts work", and you should find some good info..



Not great, but better than I was doing! I think Ileen and Rachel were so smart in hiring trainers to take the "So, what the hell should I eat?" factor out of the equation. It'd be so nice to have someone tell me exactly what to do!



No way in hell would I drink a shake that I couldn't see the nutrional info on! Some of those things are packed with as many carbs as a candy bar. Not bad when you're on a higher carb day, but bad when you're on a low carb one.
that is why I gave it to my husband. After a few sips of "this is too good to be true", I figured it was and stopped.
afuentes is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #958
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LowCarbRachel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Salt Lake Area
Posts: 18,367
Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 8
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
21% is excellent. I can tell that you're lean in your avatar photos.

I like this guy's opinions about women and different body fat percentages. I know it's not about the number...it's all about the look. And we all have different body types so our percentages are going to look different on each of us. But as someone who has never been "lean" before, this helps me visualize where I personally want to be (which may change as I get closer to what I currently think is my ideal!)

Heidi Montag Syndrome: Do You Know When To Stop? - Lose Stubborn Fat!

I think Jami has her water bf% test today, too. I'm really curious about it!!

As for me, I'm better, I'm eating again (I love my whole, unprocessed foods!), and I'm back at the gym tonight. Hooray!! I'll do my e-mail check-in with my consultant tomorrow--he's got me taking my measurements with a tape measure and sending in my scale weight once a week. So, that's how I'll be gauging my progress (and the mirror!) for the next twelve weeks.

Work hard; eat well!

Rachel
__________________
Gluten-free/grain-free.
LowCarbRachel is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #959
Blabbermouth!!!
 
afuentes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 5,099
Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Thanks Rachel - I will do measurements next time. This guy (vgresults.com) is not my trainer but he is being real helpful.

You will get there - I am glad you are feeling better.
afuentes is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #960
Senior LCF Member
 
dbglasgow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Belize, Central America but I am from Helena, Alabama
Posts: 849
Gallery: dbglasgow
Stats: 170/165/145 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb/Yeast Free/Clean eating
Start Date: July 2009/re-start July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
The trainer told me (as we know) it will be mostly diet - clean eating - as he put it. So if that is what it takes, I am ready. I haven't been 21% bodyfat since I was in college so I am excited.
BTW, Rachael mentioned how lean you look in your avatar photo... I looked at your other photos several days ago.... you do look lean, and you have a nice flat tummy. You are obviously doing it right... I was so happy about getting into a size 6.. I haven't been this size since HS which was 30 yrs ago... but I focused too much on losing "weight" instead of losing body fat so now I've got a lot of hard work ahead to burn off this fat to reveal the muscle. I've not had my body fat checked... but I'm pretty sure it's up around 24 - 25%.
__________________
Darlene

July 2012: 170 lbs.
Current: 160/sz 10
Goal: 145/ sz 6
dbglasgow is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.