Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 06:19 AM   #841
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Darlene, There is a pretty easy formula for calories, Your body weight x 15 for maint. and your body weight x 12 for losing. OR you can take the weight x 15, and subtract 20% for you deficit for losing. either way.. I like the 20% rule myself...

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #842
Senior LCF Member

Location: Belize, Central America but I am from Helena, Alabama
Gallery: dbglasgow
Stats: 170/165/145 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb/Yeast Free/Clean eating
Start Date: July 2009/re-start July 2012
Thanks Jami... I remember using this formula before but couldn't remember what it was. My numbers come out the same either way .. whether I multiply by 15 or subtract 20%...it comes out to 1704 calories.

I'm carbing up today... I've not felt well this week and workouts have been hard.. I'm not recovering well after. I've been working out consistently for 4 or 5 weeks now and eating an avg. of 50 to 100g of carbs daily.... so maybe that's the problem. I will be checking my BSL regularly to see if the extra carbs has much of an effect... then maybe after today.. I will have some idea of what carbs I can eat and how much.

I know that I've not been doing this exactly right.. for one thing, I'm not really taking any rest days from weight training but the intensity of my workouts are usually "moderate"... I did something wrong yesterday (poor form, I'm sure) but I've strained a muscle in my upper back so not lifting today but I will do some power walking.

July 2012: 170 lbs.
Current: 160/sz 10
Goal: 145/ sz 6
Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #843
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Darlene, There is a pretty easy formula for calories, Your body weight x 15 for maint. and your body weight x 12 for losing. OR you can take the weight x 15, and subtract 20% for you deficit for losing. either way.. I like the 20% rule myself...
just remember to use your body as a guide.. those are approx # not a one size fit all..

and Darlene REST!! you arent going to be doing your body any good if you dont rest. It severly compromises recovery if you dont.. I hope your back feels better.

Afuentes.. have you trhought about using TKD for your training/dieting. Lyle Mcdonald has some GREAT info Comparing the Diets: Part 4 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
Here's a snip from that great article..
Quote:
The TKD allows varying amounts (usually 25-50 grams) of high GI carbohydrates before, during or after training with carbohydrates being severely restricted the rest of the day. This accomplishes a few things. First, it allows dieters to eat some of the diet breaker foods, but under controlled circumstances. This helps deal with some of the psychological issues involved with dieting. Second, it goes a long way towards sustaining exercise performance by providing carbs around training. Third, since insulin resistance isn’t much of a problem right around training, the high GI stuff that everybody likes to eat can be eaten fairly ’safely’ (from a blood glucose/insulin release point of view).

Even extremely insulin resistant/pre-diabetic individuals can usually eat carbs right after an intense workout without problems, as exercise elevates insulin sensitivity to high levels temporarily (there is also insulin indepdendent glucose uptake during exercise so the body can utilize glucose without having to increase insulin levels).

Last edited by inatic; 03-19-2010 at 07:43 AM..
Old 03-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #844

I wanted to add that the TKD is basically what Venuto does too with his tapering.. carbs with and around training and then cut back. It can be aplied to BFL as well but realize then you arent following bfl eating plan.

when you cut back, take out the starches and add veggies and fat to make up the cals you might have had using carbs.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #845
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Ileen... I'm really trying to watch everything right now until I learn what works best for my body.... so far over the past 6 weeks, I've been please to see that my muscles really do have "memory".. and they are responding quickly to the workouts... however, you are right, I've not been resting nor eating to fuel my muscles and I know better because as I said before... I'm not new to lifting. I did the BFL program about 8 years ago with great results.

The other area that I am pleased about is being able to up my carbs and add foods that I've avoided over the past several months without any spike in BSL.

Actually, my back is feeling much better than when I first got out of bed... once I started moving around and stretching.. I felt much better.

Question about cardio... what do you all recommend? I do not have a bike or treadmill, etc... so I use walking as my cardio. I have been walking at a fast pace 3.5 to 4 miles an hour (based on my calculations)... I do this for 30 to 35 minutes and then a 5 min. cool down. I am doing 3 days a week.. too much?, too little?

Also, I prefer to do total body workouts rather than split and rest a day between workouts or do cardio on the off days. I usually do a 30 to 45 minute workout but I change things each day.. I change the order I do the exercises and I don't do the same exercises each time. I've been doing 2 different exercises for each muscle group... I begin with large muscles first.

How does this sound?
Old 03-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #846
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
As always, thank you for answering my questions. Body building seriously is new to me and I have a lot to learn.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #847
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
I wanted to add that the TKD is basically what Venuto does too with his tapering.. carbs with and around training and then cut back. It can be aplied to BFL as well but realize then you arent following bfl eating plan.

when you cut back, take out the starches and add veggies and fat to make up the cals you might have had using carbs.
Thank you - I will read up on this.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:40 PM   #848
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LouieLouie2007
Stats: 250+/181.8/160 or 23% body fat 5'6" 34 yrs
WOE: Atkins all the way baby!
Start Date: April 2003/Start again April 06 post 2nd child
Hiya!

Sounds like everyone is doing good. Keep an eye on those backs and ankles. Icing mine right now as I type.

Well, I went to the gym, did 1 mile on the elliptical (hurt just a bit anklewise) for warm up then did a upper body workout 12 reps, then 10 then 8 at progessively higher weights. Seated dip, chest press, shoulder raise, lat pull and bicep and tricep.

Then my friend sucked me into an hour pilates class. So two hours later, I am back at home and I feel great. Ate something carby before I went and I feel I really did much better as a result. Came home and had my rib and an apple and some peanut butter afterward.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #849
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Louie, Dang girl! You are a hard worker!!

Im so happy!! Im in the final count down until I'm off work!! I still have to work this weekend of course.. but at least I have one 12 hour shift out of the way.. Planning on doing upper body when I get off.. Im excited to wear my new outfit I had my pre workout meal (proatmeal) about 1/2 hour ago, timing should be about right.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #850
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Siggie
About to R.I.C.E. my ankle.

OMG my body feels like it is starting over exercise wise. I am lil sore.

I am getting in the pool this weekend.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #851
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Hey guys!

I've been busy resting up this week, and focusing on getting my calories back up. I've been doing low carb since Tuesday, and am within a pound of my pre-refeed weight, even though I haven't been watching my sodium intake like I usually try to. I'm hopeful that come Monday, I'll be below that number. If not though, I'm not going to sweat it.

I'm looking forward to working out again next week - I've missed it.

Have a great weekend, everyone.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:13 PM   #852
Senior LCF Member

Ok, I did my first "refeed" today. I hope this really helps refuel because other than just getting to eat some items that I don't usually have.... I really did not enjoy it. I now feel bloated and uncomfortable. Eating this much food, especially carbs was not easy.

I took a rest from workouts today but did do a 30 minute cardio workout.

My stats from today's refeed:

Calories:1842
Carbs: 238g (52%)
Proteins: 101g (22%)
Fat: 51g (25%)

I ate oatmeal, banana, and a boiled egg; apple with peanut butter; whole wheat pasta; light yogurt grilled chicken breast and broccoli. I had basically 6 small meals and ate all the higher carb stuff during the first 5 or 6 hrs of the day. I had the chicken and broccoli for dinner.

How often do most of you "refeed"? Do you do it weekly, bi-weekly or only when you feel your body needs it? I hope I did this right?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #853
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
Hey guys!

I've been busy resting up this week, and focusing on getting my calories back up. I've been doing low carb since Tuesday, and am within a pound of my pre-refeed weight, even though I haven't been watching my sodium intake like I usually try to. I'm hopeful that come Monday, I'll be below that number. If not though, I'm not going to sweat it.

I'm looking forward to working out again next week - I've missed it.

Have a great weekend, everyone.
I did my first refeed today... after 5 weeks of weight training on low carb... I needed it.

You mentioned that you are still a lb above your pre-refeed weight... how much water weight did you retain and how long does it last? I feel so bloated.. and I've not had to endure this feeling for more than 9 months.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:47 AM   #854

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbglasgow View Post
Ok, I did my first "refeed" today. I hope this really helps refuel because other than just getting to eat some items that I don't usually have.... I really did not enjoy it. I now feel bloated and uncomfortable. Eating this much food, especially carbs was not easy.

I took a rest from workouts today but did do a 30 minute cardio workout.

My stats from today's refeed:

Calories:1842
Carbs: 238g (52%)
Proteins: 101g (22%)
Fat: 51g (25%)

I ate oatmeal, banana, and a boiled egg; apple with peanut butter; whole wheat pasta; light yogurt grilled chicken breast and broccoli. I had basically 6 small meals and ate all the higher carb stuff during the first 5 or 6 hrs of the day. I had the chicken and broccoli for dinner.

How often do most of you "refeed"? Do you do it weekly, bi-weekly or only when you feel your body needs it? I hope I did this right?
did you eat protein with those carb meals?

On a refeed day, during the refeed, keep the fat down.

It is normal for you to feel full and bloated after a refeed. Some people handle that by chosing very dense carb foods and low fiber.. Fruit should be kept to a limit as well as veggies during that time.

The water wt is fun to watch as it goes up and then normally by day 4, comes down and often lower.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:17 AM   #855
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good job Darlene for taking that plunge! Dont freak out over the scale LOL It will go down. Most people get discouraged over the water gain (like I did), but it will go back down.. You'll get the hang of it after a while. Foods, timing all that jazz.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:43 AM   #856
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

It is normal for you to feel full and bloated after a refeed. Some people handle that by chosing very dense carb foods and low fiber.. Fruit should be kept to a limit as well as veggies during that time.

The water wt is fun to watch as it goes up and then normally by day 4, comes down and often lower.
Ileen, I did eat protein with each carb meal but a couple of times, it was a TBS of PB.. such as with the apple. I ate a boiled egg with the oatmeal.

I felt like my "fats" may have still been too high... but I usually eat around 65% to 70% fat... so this was low for me.

We can't find sweet potatoes here very often but I will get brown rice to have on hand next time. This time I ate whole wheat pasta.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:45 AM   #857
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good job Darlene for taking that plunge! Dont freak out over the scale LOL It will go down. Most people get discouraged over the water gain (like I did), but it will go back down.. You'll get the hang of it after a while. Foods, timing all that jazz.
The scales were only up 2/10 of a lb this morning.... I was expecting much more.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:47 AM   #858
Senior LCF Member

Are most of you doing the 3 - 4 days of lower carbs/calories and then a refeed? I've read that it should be done that way... but I've also read that many do it once a week or once every two weeks.

On a typical day, my carbs are between 50 to 75... is that considered very low carbs?
Old 03-20-2010, 05:59 AM   #859
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Darlene~ Not a bad gain!! I wonder if you could handle more??? LOL I was reading something about refeeds this morning, and I heard a trainer say to increase carbs 2x body weight in a 5-6 hour period.. That is a lot of food in only 5-6 hours. LOL
The 50-75 is considered Low carb Im at a moderate carb level at 100-130 a day...

Ileen... Is it that important to eat a protein with the carbs when you have a refeed? I heard to just worry about the carb intake by itself..
Old 03-20-2010, 06:33 AM   #860
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Quote:

It took me 5 days, but not only is all of my water weight is gone from my horrible Monday refeed (chicken noodle soup and pizza - I was sick, so that's all I ate that day), but I'm down an extra half a pound!

Quote:
The scales were only up 2/10 of a lb this morning.... I was expecting much more.
That's awesome, Darlene!
Old 03-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #861
Senior LCF Member

Ok, I guess then for the past 4 weeks, I've been eating low to moderate carbs. I eat between 50 - 100 carbs daily.

I'm reading the BFFM ebook... I managed to get a free copy. I like that he has a meal plan for low to moderate carbs... this makes it much easier to control my blood sugar. I've already planned my 5 meals for today. Well, time to get to workout before the temps here get too hot and humid.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #862

Quote:
Darlene~ Not a bad gain!! I wonder if you could handle more??? LOL I was reading something about refeeds this morning, and I heard a trainer say to increase carbs 2x body weight in a 5-6 hour period.. That is a lot of food in only 5-6 hours. LOL
The 50-75 is considered Low carb Im at a moderate carb level at 100-130 a day...

Ileen... Is it that important to eat a protein with the carbs when you have a refeed? I heard to just worry about the carb intake by itself..
you want to keep your protein steady. And protein helps with the bl sug issue in balancing it some vs eating a carbs alone. A meal without protein is ok but easier to get in 'pulsing' it for most vs huge meals, especially refeed day(s)
Old 03-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #863
Senior LCF Member

Finished my workout.. and I feel great! I had forgotten just how awesome it feels. It's been almost 8 years but I used to lift and it was so addictive for me and now I remember why.

I did a 45 minute total body HIIT workout today. I've started my new nutrition program based on the guidelines in the BFFM ebook. I'm following the low to moderate carb meal plan.

I'm glad I took the pics a few days ago because I can't wait to begin measuring progress.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #864
Blabbermouth!!!

Morning all!

Got back from the gym. Did an hour of yoga, and lower body weights, just 4 machines, took about 15 minutes.

Sounds like everyone did refeeds for the most part yesterday. I did yesterday as well(had to try out the homemade european style artisan breads I made), but I am having too many.

So today is a low carb day. Having scrambled eggs with some cheese and salsa right now.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #865
Senior LCF Member

I need input on my meal plan.... I've had 3 meals and still have 2 meals planned. I'm trying to follow the BFFM guidelines for the low - moderate carbs. My calories are still very low. I entered in all of my planned meals for the day so I can see if I need to make changes in the last two meals. I know I can't eat low calories like this for long periods but if I do a refeed every 4 or 5 days... then shouldn't it work out ok? My goal at this time is to still burn fat... my BF% is somewhere between 23% - 25%.

Calories: 1191
Protein: 43%
Carbs: 29%
Fat: 29%

I followed all the guidelines regarding eating a lean protein and carb with every meal. This is my first day on this nutrition program so I'm just wanting to work out the "problems" early on.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #866
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Siggie
P90 6/90 and a bootcamp this morning.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #867

Quote:
I need input on my meal plan.... I've had 3 meals and still have 2 meals planned. I'm trying to follow the BFFM guidelines for the low - moderate carbs. My calories are still very low. I entered in all of my planned meals for the day so I can see if I need to make changes in the last two meals. I know I can't eat low calories like this for long periods but if I do a refeed every 4 or 5 days... then shouldn't it work out ok? My goal at this time is to still burn fat... my BF% is somewhere between 23% - 25%.

Calories: 1191
Protein: 43%
Carbs: 29%
Fat: 29%

I followed all the guidelines regarding eating a lean protein and carb with every meal. This is my first day on this nutrition program so I'm just wanting to work out the "problems" early on.
how many grams of ea are you eating. precentages are worthless
Old 03-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #868
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
how many grams of ea are you eating. precentages are worthless
I actually changed my last two meals a little so I ended up with:

Calories: 1571
Carbs: 97.2g
Fat: 69.6g
Protein: 129.4
Fiber: 22.8

I think maybe the protein should be higher.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #869
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Darlene, recommened protein for you is 145-174 you said your average weight is 145, right?? Invest in some protein powder. I love mine. Cottage cheese has 15g per 1/2 cup.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #870
Blabbermouth!!!

Just finished my protein shake with almond milk and blueberries. Yum!

Currently icing the ankle. Noticed it is a bit swollen.
Closed Thread