Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #811
Senior LCF Member

Location: Belize, Central America but I am from Helena, Alabama
Gallery: dbglasgow
Stats: 170/165/145 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb/Yeast Free/Clean eating
Start Date: July 2009/re-start July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Thank you so much for all of your supportive and kind comments. I appreciate every single one of them! I really didn't realize how much I'd changed until I saw my before and after photos side by side.

I start my next 12 week cycle tomorrow. My consultant has a very affordable maintenance program, and I will work with him via e-mail every week. I will take my measurements with a tape measure and fill out a questionnaire each week. He will help me adjust my workouts and nutrition accordingly. My next goal is to simply keep getting leaner and to get more definition.

Tonight is my free meal.

I'm going to go back and catch up on all the posts. Thanks again for all of your kind and supportive comments!! You are an inspiring group, and I love posting here with all of you.
Rachael, I saw your pics... it's absolutely amazing! I would love to have that kind of success. I have a lot to learn about how to eat while working out.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #812
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Welcome, Darlene. You've done great. Have you checked on Youtube for exercise videos? I found one about squats that was very helpful. Taught me how to do them without hurting my knees.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #813
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
Rachel - You look amazing! I agree about the new hair color too. It's a perfect compliment to your skin tone.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #814
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Siggie
Still wrapping the ankle. 3/90- P90 and additional weight lower body training 30 minutes on ellip at intervals.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #815
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lisa46
Stats: 164/117/128 -- 5'4"
WOE: LC with balance
Start Date: Recommitted 4-18-06
Holy Shmit, Rachel...you did good, girl!!! I'm so inspired by you!
Old 03-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #816
Senior LCF Member

4/90 and trainer later today.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:44 AM   #817

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
welcome Darlene..

Rest those injuries people.. trying to train thru them is only going to make them worse.. Eating in a deficit is hard enough on your body to repair.

rachel enjoy your free meal! So you are doing maintaince for 12 weeks then more fat loss?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:03 AM   #818
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome everyone... and the suggestions on finding "exercises" for home workouts. I've done pretty good at finding ways to workout at home so far.

I really need more understanding about how to eat and what to eat. I've been on VLC and I'm diabetic but I know I need to make some changes now that I'm working out everyday.

What program are most of you following? What is meant by "free day" or "refeed"? What would be a typical "high carb" meal day?.. how many carbs do you consider "high carb"? What are some foods that I should add to my plan to help with the work out program?

Sorry for all the questions... but I'm anxious to learn more about how you all have been so successful.

July 2012: 170 lbs.
Current: 160/sz 10
Goal: 145/ sz 6
Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 AM   #819
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Hi Darlene!! Welcome! Nice to see you over here! You are looking great girl!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:39 AM   #820
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Darlene, a refeed day, or free day can be done ina number of ways... I normally do a controlled refeed. This is a day where you restore your Leptin, and glycogen levels so your body is no longer depleted. You do gain water weight, but, if done properly you should be below your baseline after you water weight is gone.
Everyone is different.. On my refeed days I normally get my calories to Maintanence level. While keeping my fat very low, 20% or lower, I would consume about 220-250 grams of carboyhtrates. Some people go higher. I read that one guy got up to 1100grams!! LOL thats about 1080 over your typical levels! LOL
All of my carbs are good for you carbs, no junk... Cheerios, pretzels, oatmeal, fruit, bagels, etc...
I eat 6 meals a day,, so all those carbs I would consume in my first 4 meals, the last 2 would be low carb.

Since you are VLC maybe a smaller increase of 100 grams a day would be best for you?? Don't quote me on this, but if I remember correctly your carb levels are about 15-30 a day right?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #821

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Wow, thank you again for all of your positive comments! I really appreciate every word!
A guy I used to date saw me and said I inspired him...so now he's signed up for a twelve week program of his own. It makes me so happy to think that I could inspire someone else to know that fitness is really possible at any age. I'm 43, and I've never been this fit before. Now I am looking forward to getting leaner.

inatic, I will maintain for about twelve weeks and maybe get a little bit leaner. Then I will hit it hard again this summer. I turn 44 on October 1, and I'd like to have some pretty definition at that time.

Darlene, your back and arms are beautiful! My consultant played with my program quite a bit, but one strategy he used with me was for me to eat more carbs around my weight workouts. We wound up cutting out all processed carbs at the end of my program, and that's when I really started dropping scale pounds. An example of a menu on a lifting day might have been something like this:

breakfast: two egg whites, oatmeal, grapefruit
snack: apple, peanut butter
lunch: chicken, veggies, and brown rice
snack: cottage cheese, orange
workout
post workout: workout shake with protein and carbs
dinner: chicken, broccoli
snack: low carb yogurt
before bed: low carb protein shake

You can see how my carbs would be higher in the day and lower after dinner. We'd take out the workout shake on my non-workout days. That was about 200 calories.

NeGa, I just wanted to say that I think it's great that you are going to the gym and that consistenly trying is what's most important. I have struggled with more than one exercise, lol. People at the gym will respect you when they see you there on a regular basis and know that you are working hard.

I'm at work...have to run for now!
Old 03-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #822
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Friends. Well, the one leg squat thing yesterday was a killer! This morning my quads are pretty unhappy with me! Think I'm going to make today a big cardio day with hill climbing on the treadmill and lots of stretching.

Rachel, I do plan to keep trying new things. I'm a firm believer in that idea of muscle confusion, or whatever it's called when you keep changing your workout. I know I look funny most of the time... I get sooo red in the face when I work out hard... (middle age is sooo flattering!) The other day another middled-aged soul (a man) walked past me in the gym and said, 'hey lady, don't over do it!' I just smiled and kept going.

Boot camp starts in a couple of weeks. I only get one day a week, but that, in its self, should be a show! LOL...
Old 03-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #823
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 6, 2007
Hey everyone and a BIG to those joining in. If you are lurking...we don't bite! Get in here!!

Rachel Amazing results. I'm SO happy for you! I'll bet your feet aren't touching the ground!

NEGa Confession time: I am THE most uncoordinated person in the world. That's one thing that keeps me home doing my workouts with dvd's. Don't feel bad about having trouble keeping up. Everyone there had that experience at some point. Just keep at it. YOU WILL get there!

Okay, busy, BUSY the last several days. Taught school yesterday and then came home and did rebounding for 30 minutes - steady state. My abs were still really sore from my last weight session and I just didn't feel that I'd have a quality weight lifting workout. May try to get one in today. Not sure yet.

I made the most delicious chicken fajitas last night for dinner. I marinated my chicken in ACV, worchestershire, salsa, garlic, cumin and fajitas seasoning about 1 hour before grilling. Seared some peppers and onion in a hot iron skillet and at the shredded chicken with some shredded lettuce, p/o, a little shredded monterey jack, sour cream and salsa. SO GOOD! My 12-yr-old niece was staying with me and she said it tasted just like a mexican restaurant. Yum!

Tonight my sweetie is taking me for BBQ, so I should be able to just eat that and some slaw...just keep me away from those hush puppies!
Old 03-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #824
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone! I am so proud of all you for keeping up with your workouts!!

NeGa, that soreness is bitter sweet huh! I am so sore today from my leg day yesterday. I needed the change up.. My calves are screaming from the jump squats I did, yowww!

Rachel, wow, ex dater was inspired by you. Good job! Makes all the hard work worth it!!

Darlene, When I started adding my complex carbs in, I would put them in around my workout time.. I would eat oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder 1.5 hours before workout, then my post workout would be the same. YUM. I look foreward to these 2 meals. The rest of my day afer that would be low carb. Each of those meals would have 1/2 cup dry oatmeal, and a heaping scoop of protein stirred in after I cooked the oatmeal..

Siggie, I agree with Ileen, rest... It sux, but you want that to heal so you can hit it hard again!!

I just got home from the gym not that long ago. Today was HIIT. I am still able to increase my speeds which I love.. It makes me feel powerful..
Speaking of cycling carbs, I think I am going to go lower in that for a few days, then resume my normal on Monday..
I am also trying to get my calories to Maintanence level, which will be lower than what it should be... I have read to do that for 2 weeks, then take a deficit again. I think this will help me lose more fat, and rid of the slowed metabolism.. I might do this after the weekend of the 27th. I want to look good in my new dress that I'm going to wear to that wedding.
Makes me nervous though. The end of my BFL challenge is May 3rd, and I dont want to gain any weight, but I have to change something up. I wish that I would have started BFL later, I could have done some better prep for it... blah, blah. LOL
Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #825
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
I know I need to do more research but what I have done has shown me that eating low carb and weight lifting go great together. I don't see why I would need to go over 100 grams of carbs if I am getting enough calories. ???????
Old 03-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #826
Senior LCF Member

Home from the gym. Just did the cardio hills and stretching. Working out the soreness feels good. Thinking I'll do the new workout again tomorrow and then recover over the weekend at work.

Thanks to everyone who posts their menus and the conversation about the 'refeed'. My daughter was a chubby child and is now a very slender teen. She is always worried about what she eats and thankfully having these posts about what y'all are doing is helping me discuss her diet with her. Appreciate the help!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #827
Senior LCF Member

Okay, so I just wanted to experiment. I have not had any grain based carbs in 3 weeks. The carbs in my diet have come from veggies, fruits or nuts. Today I tried one cup of whole wheat spaghetti cooked el dente so that the glycemic index numbers don't rise.

I'm terrified! Will I go back to cravings? Will my weight explode upward? Only time will tell...
Old 03-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #828

I'd stay away from grains if you chose to do so. The least processed the better.. That said if you are fearful, eat it PRE workout and then train.. or post workout with some protein.

The glycemic index isnt a good judge.. I'd not pay mind to it but how YOU respond.

AFuentes.. If LC and training is working for you and you have no issues then continue it. You dont have to change it up. Some people find with more intense wt training that they need some carbs.. how you feel best will determine how many should you chose to go that route.

IF you feel you need or want to try some, perhaps PRE workout and then go back to your normal menu.. IF chosing to go higher, try some post workout. Those times are the least likely to affect you blood sugar wise.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #829
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
AFuentes.. If LC and training is working for you and you have no issues then continue it. You dont have to change it up. Some people find with more intense wt training that they need some carbs.. how you feel best will determine how many should you chose to go that route.

IF you feel you need or want to try some, perhaps PRE workout and then go back to your normal menu.. IF chosing to go higher, try some post workout. Those times are the least likely to affect you blood sugar wise.
Totally agree!! I have had a huge benefit by doing this! It really changed my physique and now I get excellent results from my workouts and with fat loss..
Old 03-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #830
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeGA View Post
Home from the gym. Just did the cardio hills and stretching. Working out the soreness feels good. Thinking I'll do the new workout again tomorrow and then recover over the weekend at work.
It does feel good!!
Thanks to everyone who posts their menus and the conversation about the 'refeed'. My daughter was a chubby child and is now a very slender teen. She is always worried about what she eats and thankfully having these posts about what y'all are doing is helping me discuss her diet with her. Appreciate the help!
Thanks for the reminder! I try to do this everyday, but I forget sometimes..

stats from Wednesday
Pre workout
M1 Proatmeal
LBWO
M2 proatmeal
M3 EFT pancakes
M4 LC tuna salad wrap
M5 cottage cheese apple
M6 ground turkey salad
A little obsessed about the oatmeal today... LOL
Cals 1606
fat 41g 22%
carbs 175g 41% LIttle high doncha think!! Yowza!
protein 155 37%
fiber 32g

I went to JC Penney, they had a sale on there workout clothes and I got some of the cutest outfits for the gym! Girly, but not foo foo... I usually a baggy t shirt kind of gal, but since my body is changing a little I wanted to get cuter things.
Xersion is line of workout clothes that I love...
Old 03-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #831
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you Ileen and Jami!
Old 03-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #832
Senior LCF Member

Rachael and Jami: thanks for posting your menus... that gives me an idea of what foods you include in your plan.

Jami: Yes, I was staying under 10g of carbs for several months.. then started eating 20 to 30 and now I get 50 to 100g a day... usually around 50. The carbs I eat come from small amounts of fruit (bananas and apples), nuts, peanut butter and a veggies. I still do not eat any processed foods or junk.

I think from what I'm reading from all of you that I've been doing it right so far... I eat my carbs before workouts and then have protein after.

I am considering purchasing the BFFM e-book because I just need some guidelines on what and how to eat. Some have said that the e-book was only somewhat helpful and that there are other places to get the same info. I want to put together my menus and workout schedules... but I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Any input from you all is appreciated here.

Thanks... you all are a great inspiration!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #833
Blabbermouth!!!

Jami - the cuter the outfit to the gym the better. It will motivate you - it does me.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:01 PM   #834
Blabbermouth!!!

Question? Does the refeed (BFFM) really make you lose? It seems like it would be good for maintaining since you gain from the carb up days then you go back to normal after a few days of lower carb. It seems "back and forth" and never consistent loss.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #835

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
Question? Does the refeed (BFFM) really make you lose? It seems like it would be good for maintaining since you gain from the carb up days then you go back to normal after a few days of lower carb. It seems "back and forth" and never consistent loss.
That type of gain is ok, as it's expected.. you are gaining water wt, not fat. .. when chosing to add refeeds your daily caloric intake is a deficit.. the water wt WILL come off in about 3-4 days.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:33 AM   #836
Senior LCF Member

P90 5/90 and trainer and ellip later.

Doctor has given me the okay to as long as I wrap my ankle and also long as I am not in any pain.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:40 AM   #837
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Darlene, You'll learn a lot. Just look up refeeds on the internet. I wouldn't worry about purchasing any books...

Afuentes. Funny you say that about the workout outfits! LOL I am excited to workout tonight so I can wear my new clothes..
Like Ileen said about the refeeds. SInce you are dieting, and are in a caloric deficit, the refeeds are exactly what they are. a RE FEED... upping your calories to Maintanence levels and carbs. LOL It refeeds and fuels your body so your metabolism can keep going. Since you are in a deficit, you body will adjust accordingly and your metabolism will slow down. The refeed, re fuels your body for the hard work you put it though every day with workouts and life. Its a good thing.. Your muscles will thank you for it. Water gain is normal from it... you will lose the water weight in a few days and sometimes even dip below their baseline weight afterwards.. Some people like me, will just go back down to normal weight.. but still keep buring fat, just more effectively... SO if you are dieting the fat loss is consistant, the "back and forth" is just water weight and restoring your Leptin and Glycogens... Its a very effective tool. I think this a healthy way to incorporate a free day... Just fill up on good for you carbs, and not crap.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:41 AM   #838
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good job Siggie!! Glad to hear you have the OK!! I hate injuries..
Old 03-19-2010, 05:01 AM   #839
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats for Thursday
Lc day, 25 minute HIIT at gym
M1~ LC tortilla, 4 egg whites, 1 whole egg, FF cheese hot sauce
M2~ protein shake
M3~ cottage cheese, no sugar added applesauce
M4~ Ground lean turkey, salad with lettuce, chopped bell pepper, tomatos, cucumber, parm cheese, LF yogurt dressing,
M5~ Grilled chicken breast, salad with, lettuce, chopped bell pepper, tomatos, cucumber, parm cheese, LF yogurt dressing, hot sauce.
M6~SF, FF jello pudding snack with 1T natural peanut butter
I did not make my goal calorie goal for the day. A little low actually..

Calories. 1220
Fat 47g 32%
carbs 76g 24%
protein 143g 44%
fiber 20g
Old 03-19-2010, 05:26 AM   #840
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Jami... how do I know how many calories to shoot for... to continue losing fat... and what is maint. level calories? Is there a formula for figuring out the recommended about of calories?

I've been reading from training sites that were recommended and I think I'm ready to begin putting my workout and nutrition plan together... I have a better understanding now.... now, I just have to make the nutrition work with my Diabetes.
Closed Thread