Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #781
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LouieLouie2007
Stats: 250+/181.8/160 or 23% body fat 5'6" 34 yrs
WOE: Atkins all the way baby!
Start Date: April 2003/Start again April 06 post 2nd child
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggie View Post
Ankle is still swollen. I wrapped it up and met with the trainer today. He took it kinda easy on me but I am still feeling it. I also did the ellip machine.
2/90
Getting back into the swing of things is not EASY!
Take it easy on that ankle. If you are still swollen, that's bad news.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #782
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
I found it! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Jami, I began with Atkins and transitioned to BFFM.

One of the most relevant things in his book -- for me at least -- was understanding how "good carbs" can be our friend in fat loss, and how cycling them (which is what I do currently) can be very effective:

Quote:
Carbohydrate cycling also prevents your body from becoming inefficient at using carbohydrates for energy. When you cut your carbohydrates out for a long time, your body begins depending on fat for fuel and it learns how to use fat for fuel more efficiently. You often hear low carbohydrate diet proponents say that the low carbohydrate diet turns you into a “fat burner” while a high carbohydrate dieter turns you into a “sugar burner.” This may be true, but there’s a huge downside to staying on low carbohydrates all the time and becoming an exclusive “fat burner:” Your body becomes lazy and inefficient at burning carbohydrates. When you eat them again after a long absence, your body doesn’t know what to do with them. This is one of the reasons you will simply blow up overnight and gain weight back the minute you re-introduce carbohydrates after a long absence. Unless you plan on never eating a carbohydrate ever again, you’d better think twice about long-term carbohydrate restriction. Low carbohydrate diets are NOT “lifestyle” programs.

What’s the alternative? Carbohydrate load every fourth day. When you carbohydrate load a depleted muscle, the carbohydrates are quickly soaked up by the muscle on that fourth day because the muscles are “hungry” for carbohydrates. By repeated cycles of depletion and re-loading, your muscles become extremely efficient at storing carbohydrates as muscle glycogen rather than partitioning them to body fat.

-- Tom Venuto
There's lots more talk about refeeding here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/mu...om-venuto.html
Old 03-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #783
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozdancer View Post
Mornin' ladies, did my LB weights + cardio/yoga workout this morning. Getting the hang of using the barbell I think although I have a heck of a hard time getting it off my shoulders at the end of my circuit set!!

Loved my scale this morning - it obviously needs a new battery as it weighed me at 53kgs / ~117lbs; which would mean I'd lost 40lbs since Saturday !!! Seeing as I haven't lost a limb pretty safe to say I need a new battery for it!

Nothing new to report otherwise, just keepin' on keepin' on.
How much do you want for that scale, Oz?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #784
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
How much do you want for that scale, Oz?

If I could guarantee repeated results my Credit Card debt would be history!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:55 AM   #785
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Ileen can fill you in better than I can, but the short & sweet version is this: anytime you do anything to your body for a period of time, it adapts to it. This adaptation can actually slow one's progress, whether it's with their food intake and/or their training regamin. So, in the case of one's food intake, you'd up your carbs (while lowering your fats) for one meal, or one day, to shake your body up. Confuse it, so it no longer knows what to expect. Yes, you'll probably have a higher scale reading the next day, but many people find that they're able to break through plateaus doing this, and will be lower than they were originally before the refeed.

Ileen, Jami, Celeste, and Twyla can all tell you about what they do with their refeeds, but what I've seen is something like this: oatmeal (non-sweetened) mixed with protein powder or eggs pre-workout, then something like a sweet potato with a lean protein post workout. Finish the day off with some good lower carb veggies and more protein for dinner, and a few good snacks, and you've got yourself a refeed.

You can do refeeds weekly, biweekly, monthly, or just whenever you see that your weight loss seems to be stalling out on you. Twyla posted something really profound somewhere about carbs - when I find it, I'll repost it here.
i've done many different refeeds..
someitmes a 5hr one, i currently have a full day one(6 meals) at set amt of carbs per meal. and I have had an ulimited one where i can literal EAT all day , what ever I want.. (like BFL).. I have to be VERY lean for that one.

We can eat ANY LF carby/starchy choice with protein. Since i have no carb phobia(s) the sky is the limit. Fat stays on the low(est) end for refeed time.

Some of my favorites are: nachos, quesedillas,(often use brown rice tortilla) bagels, pasta,(will use white) mashed tators with breaded chicken , (oven baked) , LF ice cream , brownies (no pudge brownies are pretty darn good!)
OR add more swt tators, br rice or oatmeal..

I tend to keep it fun though.

Last edited by inatic; 03-17-2010 at 01:56 AM..
Old 03-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #786
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Quote:
Ileen, Jami, Celeste, and Twyla can all tell you about what they do with their refeeds, but what I've seen is something like this: oatmeal (non-sweetened) mixed with protein powder or eggs pre-workout, then something like a sweet potato with a lean protein post workout. Finish the day off with some good lower carb veggies and more protein for dinner, and a few good snacks, and you've got yourself a refeed.

You can do refeeds weekly, biweekly, monthly, or just whenever you see that your weight loss seems to be stalling out on you. Twyla posted something really profound somewhere about carbs - when I find it, I'll repost it here.

Jami, I absolutely Brazilian Butt Lift! It really is a nice program, and for someone like you who doesn't have much to lose, it'd be great. Bum Bum & High & Tight are the workhorses of this program - Bum Bum is a good standing LBWO that uses no weights at all, but still manages to get your heartrate up there. High & Tight has three sections - standing with a toner band, floorwork with the toner band, and then floorwork with ankle weights. If you don't want to get involved in all of that, Squeeze Stronger is just as good - just different - IMO. That's an 80 minute workout divided into UB and LB workouts. The LBWO is a killer, even with no weights at all. Workouts like that are perfect IMO for adding in on non-weight days. If you want to know where to get these, PM me, and I'll hook you up.

Kind of, but not really. I was really yesterday, and didn't eat all day long. Finally, about 9 p.m., I was a bit hungry, so I had a couple pieces of pizza that DH ordered for him and DS, and ate a bunch of that instant chicken noodle soup. Total crap, and full of sodium, but I just didn't have it in me to cook for myself, and DH never offered. Of course I was up this morning from the carbs and sodium, but I'm not worried. I'm drinking tons of water to flush that sodium bloat out, and focusing on keeping my calories up where they need to be. My real refeed will be next Sunday or Monday to coincide with lifting. I'll be doing the oatmeal and sweet potato, and I'm excited about it! Who knew the high point of one's day could be oatmeal and a sweet potato?
I knew you were sick! Duh... You said that you didn't eat much! LOL When I am not working I never think of the time or day.. I'm FREE!!!!
I am going to buy the Brazillian butt lift. I can do those workouts on the weekend when I dont have access to the gym... I really wish we had a 24 hour fitness here in town The other Anytime fitness is about the size of my living room.... its packed all the time... I cant wait for DH to be done with school so we can move.

In regards to my refeed. I only do it during my first 4 meals. My last 2 meals are LC, lean meats a veggies.
I usually only eat Maintanence level calories that day, 2200, and I keep my maco percentages 40/40/20, so my carbs and protein will be 220g and my fat is kept really low. Food choices are:
Oatmeal, potatos (sweet and regular), air popped corn, sushi, fruit, veggies, yogurt, applesauce... I dont go all out like what BFL calls for, I try to keep it healthy, so I FEEL good. There is nothing as gross as a food hangover
Old 03-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #787
Major LCF Poster!

I took it easy again yesterday, and think it's probably be a good idea to just take this week off from working out. I think my body could really use the rest. I'm going to focus on getting my calories back up (got in right about 1500 yesterday ), and getting my sleep schedule back on track. I think my sleep deprivation has had a lot to do with me not seeing any results. Well, that along with not eating enough calories, and not lifting...

At least I know what I should be doing now, so that I can actually do it. Better that, than the wallowing around I was doing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
i've done many different refeeds..
someitmes a 5hr one, i currently have a full day one(6 meals) at set amt of carbs per meal. and I have had an ulimited one where i can literal EAT all day , what ever I want.. (like BFL).. I have to be VERY lean for that one.

We can eat ANY LF carby/starchy choice with protein. Since i have no carb phobia(s) the sky is the limit. Fat stays on the low(est) end for refeed time.

Some of my favorites are: nachos, quesedillas,(often use brown rice tortilla) bagels, pasta,(will use white) mashed tators with breaded chicken , (oven baked) , LF ice cream , brownies (no pudge brownies are pretty darn good!)
OR add more swt tators, br rice or oatmeal..

I tend to keep it fun though.
*wishing yet again that I was Ileen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
I knew you were sick! Duh... You said that you didn't eat much! LOL When I am not working I never think of the time or day.. I'm FREE!!!!
I am going to buy the Brazillian butt lift. I can do those workouts on the weekend when I dont have access to the gym... I really wish we had a 24 hour fitness here in town The other Anytime fitness is about the size of my living room.... its packed all the time... I cant wait for DH to be done with school so we can move.
Like I said, I think that you'll like BBL, but also believe that you'd like Squeeze Stronger. BBL runs about $60, SS about $20. Either would be good for you as add-ons to what you're doing already.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #788

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Here's a couple of pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RachelTBefore (4).jpg (25.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Rachel After (18).jpg (24.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #789
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone!! Did Ileen mention *Nachos* mmmmm.....

Laura, Good job with increasing your cals!! I have been getting mine up slowly as well. Yesterday was probably 1800 ish... A little high for my liking... I try to stay around 1600 now.

I had a great workout today!! So excited! I hope I feel it tomorrow, dont you love that little bit of soreness...
today I did
LBWO
calves..
15x3 reps of jump squats
15x3 reps of step ups with 10lb weights
12,10,8,6 reps cable squats
10,8,6 laying cable hamsting curls
Straight leg cable kick backs for the BOOOOTTAAAAAH 4 sets..
I was lovin' the cable machine apparently. NO BARBELLS is which rediculous! Using the cables for my squats allowed me to lean back farther on my heels, which really made the butt burn...
Old 03-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #790
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Here's a couple of pics!
WHOA MAMA!! You look amazing Rachel! Knock out body, Hair, swim suit... its like a whole new woman! Look out! Here she comes!!
You look like your 23!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #791
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Thanks Laura!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #792

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
awesome progress Rachel!! You SHOULD be quite pleased.

Ya'll could do nachos even on reg plan.I do sometimes.. refeed i can have MORE though .

ground beef or finely chopped chicken. I use br rice tortillas and then some cheese.. (use what fits your daily cals)
Old 03-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #793

a couple of more...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RachelTBefore5.jpg (26.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg RachelAfter8 back.jpg (23.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #794

and just a couple more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RachelTBefore7.jpg (25.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg RachelAfter6 side.jpg (21.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #795

Thanks everyone. I was pleased to see these changes this morning! I didn't realize that I'd changed this much!

My consultant has a maintenance program, so I'll continue to work with him for another 12 weeks. Now that I've lost some fat, my goal is to continue to get leaner.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #796
Major LCF Poster!

OMG, Rachel, you look like a totally different person! I swear, I don't think I would have realized you were the same person in the before & after pics if you hadn't posted them together! WTG, girl!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #797
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Quote:
Here's a couple of pics!

Rachel,

Great job! I really respect all of the hard work that you put into making this transformation. I agree with all of the other positive comments on your photos.

Last edited by yorick; 03-17-2010 at 12:09 PM..
Old 03-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #798
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stackdiesel
Stats: 238/196/Unknown
WOE: Low Carb
Rachel,

I echo Matt's comments and everyone else's. Really, really great job! Your dedication and discipline paid off big time. Much respect.

-Stack
Old 03-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #799
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Rachel... it's already been said, but WOW... I'm so happy for you. Every angle shows so much change. And I'll say it again... your new hair color and your skin tone are such a perfect match. You look wonderful. Congrats!

Now, what beach are you planning to vacation on in that cute suit???
Old 03-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #800
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
New workout today. Almost embarrassing. Things that others made look so simple and I was struggling for proper position AND could not keep up with the reps.

Now I know it's important to change your work out and learn new things, but oh my... I felt like such a weakling!

My first one legged squat should have been filmed for America's Funniest Home Videos... I most assuredly would win some price money.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #801
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
a couple of more...
Frikin awesome girl!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #802
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
There's lots more talk about refeeding here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/mu...om-venuto.html
ok, this makes me feel better about some of the carb swings I've been doing over the last few days.:blush:
Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #803
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

NeGa, I'm sure you'll get the hang of your new workout. Some times a couple warm up reps will help you with control and form
Old 03-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #804
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeGA View Post
New workout today. Almost embarrassing. Things that others made look so simple and I was struggling for proper position AND could not keep up with the reps.

Now I know it's important to change your work out and learn new things, but oh my... I felt like such a weakling!

My first one legged squat should have been filmed for America's Funniest Home Videos... I most assuredly would win some price money.

Awww, I'm sure it wasn't that bad.

But I know how you feel - sometimes I really struggle with balance moves. They're great for your core though, so I keep on keepin' on with them.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #805
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Siggie
Rachel you look awesome. Total new person. Way to go!
Old 03-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #806
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Rachel - fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #807
Major LCF Poster!

Rachel, you should be very proud of yourself! You've done a fabulous job in 18 weeks!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #808
Senior LCF Member

Location: Belize, Central America but I am from Helena, Alabama
Gallery: dbglasgow
Stats: 170/165/145 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb/Yeast Free/Clean eating
Start Date: July 2009/re-start July 2012
Hello all... I've been lurking here for a couple of days and wanted to introduce myself. I think that I can gain a lot of helpful insight from many of you from what I've read and what I've seen in some before/after pics.

I'm not new to "lifting" or to "low carb" but I only recently returned to both after about 7 years of letting myself go. In July 2009 I began eating VLC and by the end of Jan. 2010 I had lost 27 lbs.. went from 169.5 to 142... from a snug fitting sz 10 to a nice fitting sz 6... so I was happy with that. However, I did little or no real exercise during that time. Feb. 5th I began doing weight resistant exercises and started walking (walking up to 5.5 miles at a time).

My goal now is to get fit and tone... I do not need to look like a fitness model or body builder.. but just want to lose extra fat and flab and look tone and fit. My situation is different from most... I live in Belize, CA.. serve as a missionary... I do not have access to a gym, I do not own any home gym equipment. I use weight resistant bands, dumbbells and my own body weight. I am currently working out at least 5 days a week for 30 minutes.... doing high reps with moderate weight... I change things up daily, meaning that I do not do exactly the same workout.. but I do pretty much work the same muscle groups each time (biceps, triceps, chest ,shoulders, abs, glutes, legs) and I am seeing progress. I do have some problems with my knees so I basically do the walking.. not for distance but to also help build muscle and I use it as my cardio workout... I now do a 30 - 35 minute very fast walk at least 3 days a week.

I'm trying to make changes in my way of eating to help feed and build muscle but I am diabetic so I have to control my blood sugar as well. I have added more carbs.. mostly in the form of fruit and nuts and I eat the fruit before walking or working out... other than that, I eat moderate proteins and high fat on most days. Over the past week, I've noticed that my weight has gone up about 3 lbs... freaked me out a little but my measurements are exactly the same and my clothes fit the same... so no real gain.

Sorry to go on and on... any advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated... like I said, I want to maintain weight, but want to get fit and tone. I did advice on exercise and what foods to eat and when.

I'll post pics to show you my before and now.... and hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread.

This was back in July 2009
before.jpg

This was after reaching goal.. in a sz 6
IMG_1807.jpg

This was taken today.. I hope the next photos I take show muscle definition
swimsuit.jpg

July 2012: 170 lbs.
Current: 160/sz 10
Goal: 145/ sz 6
Old 03-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #809

Thank you so much for all of your supportive and kind comments. I appreciate every single one of them! I really didn't realize how much I'd changed until I saw my before and after photos side by side.

I start my next 12 week cycle tomorrow. My consultant has a very affordable maintenance program, and I will work with him via e-mail every week. I will take my measurements with a tape measure and fill out a questionnaire each week. He will help me adjust my workouts and nutrition accordingly. My next goal is to simply keep getting leaner and to get more definition.

Tonight is my free meal.

I'm going to go back and catch up on all the posts. Thanks again for all of your kind and supportive comments!! You are an inspiring group, and I love posting here with all of you.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #810
Major LCF Poster!

Darlene, I'm sure you will get lots of help/advise here. I work out at home, but I have adjustable dumbbells/barbell (for heavy lifting) and an elliptical machine. Have you searched online for bodyweight exercises? This might be a good place to start while the experts in this thread aren't around. Good luck.
Closed Thread