Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #751
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Rachel, will the carb up make you look more bloated on your pics?? I am planning on doing a couple weeks of LC before my photo shoot on May 3rd. I want to look as cut as possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #752
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/145.4/135
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2014
Jami, the carb up is supposed to make my muscles stand out for my photos. My consultant works with people who do fitness shows, so I'm just going to accept his advice on faith. I'm only going to sip water past 5 pm, too. Also his advice. He said he'll have me lift some weights before he takes my photos. I'm new to all of this, but I did some research online about how people prepare for shows, and this is all in line with what I have read!!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #753
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
I'm so excited to live vicariously through all these fitness show ladies... can't wait to see pics!

Time to change and head to the gym. Not sure if I'm going to do UB or LB yet. I'll see what areas of the gym are available when I get there.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #754
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LouieLouie2007
Stats: 250+/181.8/160 or 23% body fat 5'6" 34 yrs
WOE: Atkins all the way baby!
Start Date: April 2003/Start again April 06 post 2nd child
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Good Morning everyone!

OZ, glad to see that you survived the weekend!! You are such a busy girl! I dont know how you find time for everything, AND squeezing in your workouts.

I was down again a little bit more in weight this morning. 141.2, yesterday was 141.8. It will do that until it gets to 139.8, then it will jump back up to 142.2, then it starts all over again. I have been seeing that trend for 6 months now,, its pretty pathetic how monotinous it is..
Anyways, just ate some breakfast, off to a later start with that so I wont get to the gym at my normal time.. Headache and ick feeling today..
Mine does that too. 188 at the start of the week , only to get to about 184-185 by Saturday only to have it be 188 again by Monday.

Although it did dip all the way down to 181.8 on Thanksgiving morning. I just can't get it to go down anymore. Hoping changing up the food helps.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #755
Blabbermouth!!!

Had beef strips and quinoa leftovers for breakfast this morning and my usual coffee.

Workout-wise, will do some push-ups today along with housecleaning (kids are gone with grandma today). Then off to Home Depot to grab garden soil so I will be hoisting heavy bags. Gonna dust off the weight set here also and do some biceps and triceps.

And then yoga tonight.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #756

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
Rachel - may I ask who your trainer is? Your results have been amazing! Are you going to post before/after pics?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #757
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Rachel and Jami - you are doing photos for the competitions? Is that mandatory to enter a show? What fitness competitions are you doing? Figure, Fitness, or Bodybuilding?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #758
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
Rachel and Jami - you are doing photos for the competitions? Is that mandatory to enter a show? What fitness competitions are you doing? Figure, Fitness, or Bodybuilding?
I am actually just doing Body For Life right now. I have to take pre and post pics, and I take pics every 2 weeks to compare. There could be prize money at the end so I have my eyes on the prize!
My biggest goal is to do a Figure comp... That would be amazing. Right now I am far away from that, but the BFL challenge Im using to get me headed in the right direction. Right now I need to work twice as hard to get to comp. level. I have been doing a lot of research on this, and when I get closer to the time of feeling like Im 3 months to comp. I'll get a trainer that specializes in that.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #759
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Jami, the carb up is supposed to make my muscles stand out for my photos. My consultant works with people who do fitness shows, so I'm just going to accept his advice on faith. I'm only going to sip water past 5 pm, too. Also his advice. He said he'll have me lift some weights before he takes my photos. I'm new to all of this, but I did some research online about how people prepare for shows, and this is all in line with what I have read!!
WOW, Good to know! I'll was just reading about pre contest preps.. and those women only eat fish, veggies and water a week out from contest... maybe its different with pics..
Old 03-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #760
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you

Quote:
I am actually just doing Body For Life right now. I have to take pre and post pics, and I take pics every 2 weeks to compare. There could be prize money at the end so I have my eyes on the prize!
My biggest goal is to do a Figure comp... That would be amazing. Right now I am far away from that, but the BFL challenge Im using to get me headed in the right direction. Right now I need to work twice as hard to get to comp. level. I have been doing a lot of research on this, and when I get closer to the time of feeling like Im 3 months to comp. I'll get a trainer that specializes in that.
Yes I have been doing research too and comparing myself to the girls. I am faaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrr away from comp status too. I was thinking the same thing: get a trainer when I feel I am close to comp status.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #761
Blabbermouth!!!

Okay another question

I am going to ask this quickly before I have to go back to work. hehehe

Right now I am very low carb b/c I need to lose at least 15lbs. I also love love love eating low carb and realize I have horrible reactions to starch/sugar.

When I start gaining muscle near the summer, I know I need to add protein but, in your opinion, do I need to add starches???? I believe I just need fuel and that can come in the form of protein/fat and carbs from vegetable maybe beans and sweet potatoes once in a while.

Agree or not from your experience?

I love weight lifting (fountain of youth) and enjoy a low carb lifestyle.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #762
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Afuentes. I was doing VLC (10 -20 total carbs a day) and not getting any results with weight training or weight loss. I was terrified to come off the the VLC rhelm because I didn't want to gain wieght. Once I started adding in those Complex carbs, my muscles popped up out of no where, and the inches started coming off. It was amazing. IMO Complex carbs are one of the Keys to unlocking a powerful physique. I am so happy that I switched. My ratios usued to be 60f/30p/20c... Now it is more like 40c/40p/20f This way agrees with me much better. My moderate carb levels range anywhere from 100-150, depending on my calories that day. Protein I try to always eat 1 gram per body weight, or more...

Last edited by jamistar77; 03-16-2010 at 12:32 PM..
Old 03-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #763

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/145.4/135
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2014
Purrgirl, my consultant is Mike Butler with Total Health and Fitness. His office is in Sandy, Utah, but he does phone consultations. PM me if you want his contact information.

A., I am wrapping up an eighteen week fitness program. I'm having after photos taken by my consultant tomorrow, just as another way to gauge my progress. I'm not really cut yet, but I am leaner than when I started.

I don't know that I'll ever decide to compete, especially since I've hated this hard week of dieting. If I did, I'd want to compete in the bikini category, but I'm probably another twelve-eighteen weeks out from looking like a competitor.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #764
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Hey!

I've been sick the past two days (yucky stomache bug ), and am just now starting to feel better. I haven't been able to eat much, and certainly have not had the energy to work out. I really hope to be back on track tomorrow.

Rachel - OMG, your hair is absolutely stunning! It looks just how I pictured it in my head - it makes your eyes pop and goes so well with your skin tone. I it! You must be so excited about your photography session tomorrow - hope everything goes well.

Jami - do I have to pull out my "Screw the scale" picture again? Don't sweat those pounds, girl - you know you're leaning out, and as Ileen pointed out - you're in the sweet spot!

Afuentes - Hope you find this thread as educational, movtivational, and supportive as we all do.

Louie - have fun playing in the dirt!

Oz - girl, you are always so busy! I get tired just reading about what you do in your posts! Glad your new workout rotation is working for you.

Celeste - I know just how you feel, trying to get your food ratios in line. I did really well one day, and just haven't been able to match that day again. I really need to make up some flash cards to help me out. Either that, or just start eating the same thing almost every day!

Ileen -

Siggie - How's your ankle feeling? Hope it's feeling better.

Twyla - I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #765
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for your responses Rachel and Jami.

When it is time for me to start really adding the muscle I will definitely consider the complex carb situation.

Until then I will enjoy my low carb WOE (under 50 grams).
Old 03-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #766
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you Laura.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #767
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
Jami - do I have to pull out my "Screw the scale" picture again? Don't sweat those pounds, girl - you know you're leaning out, and as Ileen pointed out - you're in the sweet spot!

:
NO way! LOL I'm doing fine! Promise!! I just like to weigh in. I know the numbers dont mean much, but I still like to check on it. I have to have something to use as a measurment to see how Im doing.

I'm glad you are feeling better! Those yucky tummy bugs... ugh! I have been pretty fortunate this year by not getting sick. I think working in a hospital my immune system is pretty good..
I did wake up this morning with a killer headache and neck pain. I don't think i had my pillows quite right last night.

What do you all think of this. I have read some things today about pear shaped women, like me We have a tendency to have a hard time losing fat off our hips, legs and butt. They recommened doing an extra LBWO during the week. I think I could go for it. I'd have to do it on a HIIT day, but lately I am having lots of energy and I think I could squeeze it in...
Old 03-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #768
Major LCF Poster!

Afuentes - have you read about refeeds? That might be something you could try now to help you blast away that little bit of weight you're trying to lose. Something to think about...

Jami - ugh, don't you just hate being a pear? I do. I work my legs 6 days a week. Only three non-consectutive days with weights, but also non-weighted workouts (my Brazilian Butt Lift workouts) in the afternoons M - S. I've read that you can get away with it as long as you're still giving yourself 48 hours between weighted workouts. Have you thought about walking lunges? Those are great, as are unweighted squats, crab walkers, dips, and all the old school floorwork. Have you ever heard of Tracy Effinger and her Squeeze workouts? If not, Google. They're awesome!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #769
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Just checking in on this thread. It looks like almost everybody is doing fairly well.

Some of your workouts put me to shame though.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #770
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Today was 'short day' at the gym. Planned to just do LB, but there were people in my spot and I didn't have time to wait. So then I thought, well, I'll just do arms. Nope... there were people in my spot... so I ended up doing a little bit of everything - abs, arms, squats. I'm certainly not up to y'alls standards, but I'm always thankful for whatever movement I get.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #771
Blabbermouth!!!

Firm Hottie - what is a Refeed?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #772
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
[Jami - ugh, don't you just hate being a pear? I do. I work my legs 6 days a week. Only three non-consectutive days with weights, but also non-weighted workouts (my Brazilian Butt Lift workouts) in the afternoons M - S. I've read that you can get away with it as long as you're still giving yourself 48 hours between weighted workouts. Have you thought about walking lunges? Those are great, as are unweighted squats, crab walkers, dips, and all the old school floorwork. Have you ever heard of Tracy Effinger and her Squeeze workouts? If not, Google. They're awesome!
I was wanting to try that Brazilian Butt lift! LOL I do turbo jam sometimes.. It does give me a nice tushy, when I use it regularly..
I do Walking lunges with pulses, dead lifts, squats, standing cable leg curls, extentions... I know that I can hit them harder.. Tomorrow is LBWO day so I am planning on adding, step ups (its probably not the right term) with using a high bench... and then some light cardio after wards... Thanks for all the info! I think that adding new workouts is great. I'll google Tracy Effinger.. Squeeze... I want to integrate jump roping as well, its supposed to be great for busting cellulite. I can jump maybe 10 times, and then I screw up.. It pathetic.
Speaking of refeed, I need to do that again, just so I can get my cals to maintanence for a day.. Tomorrow sounds good since I'll be lifing heavy and working a big muscle group.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #773
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I forgot to post my menu this morning..
Stats for Monday.
exercise... Chest, Back, abs

M1~ Protein oatmeal
workout
M2~ protein oatmeal, banana
M3~ Chopped veggie salad, lean ground turkey, lf dressing, hot sauce, LC wrap toasted and cut into "chips"
M4~shake
M5~ LC turkey wrap "sandwhich", 1/2apple, 1T natural PB
M6~ cottage cheese, 1/2 apple

Calories 1572
Fat 46 g 25%
Carbs 149g 36%
Protein 157g 38%
fiber 30g

Meals look ok. Calories are good. Still trying to get them up to 1700... slowly
Old 03-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #774
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Afuentes - have you read about refeeds? That might be something you could try now to help you blast away that little bit of weight you're trying to lose. Something to think about...
Laura, Did you do your refeed the other day??
Old 03-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #775

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
not everyone does their load like that. My coach often uses some carbs but a fat load instead..
Old 03-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #776
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lisa46
Stats: 164/117/128 -- 5'4"
WOE: LC with balance
Start Date: Recommitted 4-18-06
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeGA View Post
Ok folks... advice time. I know y'all aren't doctors and you don't play one on TV, but I need advice about potassium. Before coming back to LC I ate lots and lots of fruit... several bananas a day. Now I'm having only a few berries and then not every day and the leg cramps are back. Like throw you out of bed in screaming pain.
Nega...parttime lurker on this thread here. I tried EVERYTHING to stop the leg cramps. I was getting them almost every night--the kind where you wake up from a dead sleep and jump out of bed and cry for 3 minutes, praying that the cramp unlocks your bent leg. And then leaves your calf muscle sore for 5 days or more. And trying to aleviate one cramp only leads to getting another one in another muscle. They were coming along my shin, bottoms of my feet, toes, hamstring...it was freakin' ridiculous. My husband wanted to call 911 one night, I honestly thought I was dying.

I added 1/2 tsp No Salt mixed in water around 6:30 each night and guess what? Cramps are GONE! I mean GONE! I am so excited! I am still pretty Low Carb and I hope that as I start to increase my carb level, the cramps subside on their own, but for now... I luvs my No Salt!!!

Hope this helps!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:12 PM   #777
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
Firm Hottie - what is a Refeed?
Ileen can fill you in better than I can, but the short & sweet version is this: anytime you do anything to your body for a period of time, it adapts to it. This adaptation can actually slow one's progress, whether it's with their food intake and/or their training regamin. So, in the case of one's food intake, you'd up your carbs (while lowering your fats) for one meal, or one day, to shake your body up. Confuse it, so it no longer knows what to expect. Yes, you'll probably have a higher scale reading the next day, but many people find that they're able to break through plateaus doing this, and will be lower than they were originally before the refeed.

Ileen, Jami, Celeste, and Twyla can all tell you about what they do with their refeeds, but what I've seen is something like this: oatmeal (non-sweetened) mixed with protein powder or eggs pre-workout, then something like a sweet potato with a lean protein post workout. Finish the day off with some good lower carb veggies and more protein for dinner, and a few good snacks, and you've got yourself a refeed.

You can do refeeds weekly, biweekly, monthly, or just whenever you see that your weight loss seems to be stalling out on you. Twyla posted something really profound somewhere about carbs - when I find it, I'll repost it here.

Quote:
I was wanting to try that Brazilian Butt lift! LOL I do turbo jam sometimes.. It does give me a nice tushy, when I use it regularly..
I do Walking lunges with pulses, dead lifts, squats, standing cable leg curls, extentions... I know that I can hit them harder.. Tomorrow is LBWO day so I am planning on adding, step ups (its probably not the right term) with using a high bench... and then some light cardio after wards... Thanks for all the info! I think that adding new workouts is great. I'll google Tracy Effinger.. Squeeze... I want to integrate jump roping as well, its supposed to be great for busting cellulite. I can jump maybe 10 times, and then I screw up.. It pathetic.
Speaking of refeed, I need to do that again, just so I can get my cals to maintanence for a day.. Tomorrow sounds good since I'll be lifing heavy and working a big muscle group.
Jami, I absolutely Brazilian Butt Lift! It really is a nice program, and for someone like you who doesn't have much to lose, it'd be great. Bum Bum & High & Tight are the workhorses of this program - Bum Bum is a good standing LBWO that uses no weights at all, but still manages to get your heartrate up there. High & Tight has three sections - standing with a toner band, floorwork with the toner band, and then floorwork with ankle weights. If you don't want to get involved in all of that, Squeeze Stronger is just as good - just different - IMO. That's an 80 minute workout divided into UB and LB workouts. The LBWO is a killer, even with no weights at all. Workouts like that are perfect IMO for adding in on non-weight days. If you want to know where to get these, PM me, and I'll hook you up.

Quote:
Laura, Did you do your refeed the other day??
Kind of, but not really. I was really yesterday, and didn't eat all day long. Finally, about 9 p.m., I was a bit hungry, so I had a couple pieces of pizza that DH ordered for him and DS, and ate a bunch of that instant chicken noodle soup. Total crap, and full of sodium, but I just didn't have it in me to cook for myself, and DH never offered. Of course I was up this morning from the carbs and sodium, but I'm not worried. I'm drinking tons of water to flush that sodium bloat out, and focusing on keeping my calories up where they need to be. My real refeed will be next Sunday or Monday to coincide with lifting. I'll be doing the oatmeal and sweet potato, and I'm excited about it! Who knew the high point of one's day could be oatmeal and a sweet potato?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #778
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Siggie
Ankle is still swollen. I wrapped it up and met with the trainer today. He took it kinda easy on me but I am still feeling it. I also did the ellip machine.
2/90
Getting back into the swing of things is not EASY!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #779
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
Mornin' ladies, did my LB weights + cardio/yoga workout this morning. Getting the hang of using the barbell I think although I have a heck of a hard time getting it off my shoulders at the end of my circuit set!!

Loved my scale this morning - it obviously needs a new battery as it weighed me at 53kgs / ~117lbs; which would mean I'd lost 40lbs since Saturday !!! Seeing as I haven't lost a limb pretty safe to say I need a new battery for it!

Nothing new to report otherwise, just keepin' on keepin' on.

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
Old 03-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #780
Blabbermouth!!!

Man, my quads are aching!! Never tell your trainer you have been cleared for squats. He may just make you do squat press and leg press. And its only been 24 hours. Tomorrow may be worse.
Closed Thread