Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #691
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Laura.. Glad to see that those extra cals aren't causing you gains!! Good job! I am always nervous about changing things in my diet. When I went off Atkins, to do BFL I was going to have a nervous break down! Finally I started "seeing" all the good that the food was doing for me.. and it was fine after that.
When I do a refeed. I aim for Maintanence calories 2200, and my % are 40p/40c/20f. At those percents, I just divide 2200 by 10 and that is how I get my grams for carbs and protein.. but only if you are going by the 40/40/20 plan..220g, protein 220, and fat is low... 50ish grams.
If you have been in a caloiric deficit for a week, I would do the refeed on schedule tomorrow. It will let your body not get accustomed to that deficit.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #692
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Laura, Your calories are the same as mine! LOL

Louie, Sounds like you had a lot of fun! I love Renaissance Festivals! I havent been to one in a long time! It sounds like you are making great progress with your ankle. I cant wait until you are able to get back to the gym full force! I am planning on Competing, for now I just want to win that BFL challenge and I want to give it all I can give. That means I really have to change my body composition. Figure competitions is something that I have always wanted to do too, so this is just part of my journey to get there. When I get closer to that time I'll get a trainer who can get me more prepared for it.

Don't you all just love that article that Ileen posted! It sure hit the spot!!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #693
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Laura.. Glad to see that those extra cals aren't causing you gains!! Good job! I am always nervous about changing things in my diet. When I went off Atkins, to do BFL I was going to have a nervous break down! Finally I started "seeing" all the good that the food was doing for me.. and it was fine after that.
When I do a refeed. I aim for Maintanence calories 2200, and my % are 40p/40c/20f. At those percents, I just divide 2200 by 10 and that is how I get my grams for carbs and protein.. but only if you are going by the 40/40/20 plan..220g, protein 220, and fat is low... 50ish grams.
If you have been in a caloiric deficit for a week, I would do the refeed on schedule tomorrow. It will let your body not get accustomed to that deficit.
I know, me too - on both counts!

I've been keeping my calories too low - about 1200 for the last month, and just upped them to around 1500 (I'm cycling between 1300-1500) this week. That's why I wondered if I should wait another week and let my body get used to the change in calories first before doing a refeed, or just go ahead and do one tomorrow.

Maintanence for us would be 2200 calories? I struggled to get in the 1550 I had yesterday - I can't imagine trying to shovel 2200 into my mouth!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #694
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

YEAH! LOL 2200.... I think that my body is so used to the deficit I put it in, that I would probably gain at that now... But, I still shoot for it. It's easier than you think. Just have little increases with you meals through out the day. I try to keep mine between 1300-1500 too. Depends on how I feel that day, and what my body needs. When I do heavy lifting days, I'll eat a little bit more, cardio days I drop my carbs a little bit because I get so hungry from running, and that heps with hunger.
Ileen told me to multiply your weight X 15 and that gives you an estimate of your maintanence cals
Old 03-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #695
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OH, And If your calories have been low for a while I would deffinetly do the refeed.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #696
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the advice! Okay, now to plan said refeed...

Oh, and I've been wanting to post this as a reminder for all of us here.

It'd make a great avatar!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diet1.jpg (6.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 03-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #697
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post

LOL LOVE IT!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #698
Major LCF Poster!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #699
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LouieLouie2007
Stats: 250+/181.8/160 or 23% body fat 5'6" 34 yrs
WOE: Atkins all the way baby!
Start Date: April 2003/Start again April 06 post 2nd child
Quote:

Love it!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #700
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Laura, Your calories are the same as mine! LOL

Louie, Sounds like you had a lot of fun! I love Renaissance Festivals! I havent been to one in a long time! It sounds like you are making great progress with your ankle. I cant wait until you are able to get back to the gym full force! I am planning on Competing, for now I just want to win that BFL challenge and I want to give it all I can give. That means I really have to change my body composition. Figure competitions is something that I have always wanted to do too, so this is just part of my journey to get there. When I get closer to that time I'll get a trainer who can get me more prepared for it.

Don't you all just love that article that Ileen posted! It sure hit the spot!!

That article rawked!

Now, I understand, you ARE working to get to competition level. My bad.

Now I really understand the frustration. Mine is coming right now from trying to just lose size at this point. At 5'6", 35% body fat and a size 12. I have lost some "size" but not nearly what I would have thought I was do at this juncture. I have awesome LBM, but the fat just wont leave and no I am not gaining LBM at any crazy rate either. In 2 1/2 years, Iv'e lost maybe 7 lbs. But I have dropped two sizes. So progress? Definitely, but the rate is just SO DAMN SLOW that I want to scream most days.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #701
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Louie! I feel ya sistah! But then again, look at where you started! Great cats! I didn't realize that you had lost so much... GOOD JOB! LOL The closer you get the harder it is.... I really hate that last sentence... LOL True though..
What makes me mad, is "dieting" down, and the scale goes the oposite direction. Women cannot gain pounds of muscle fast.. unless they are taking testostrone or steroids. So I know that isn't the case for me. I am losing inches though so, like you said. PROGRESS!! It has taken me a long time to lose too...
I really started a few years back. I was at 175, not bad really, but it just kept increasing. Finally I started exercising, and graduated from college, then I have lost about 7 pounds a year... I did get to 135, and now for the life of me I cannot get back to that! I can get to 139, then, like clock work, I bounce up to 142.2 the next day. I'll even bet money on that exact number! Weird..
Anyway, you girls are so much fun! I have to get back to work.. Only 5.5 more hours left and Im off for my "weekend"!!! YEAH!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #702
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
laura you cant make too many changes, you wont know what to evaluate.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #703
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 6, 2007
Laura ~

Hate to admit it, but I haven't really set range for my refeed days. I just try to add a little extra carb. The Lyle McDonald book that Ileen recommended just said to eat your regular diet, and add in some starchy carbs - like have a piece or two of bread with dinner, have some oatmeal or toast with breakfast, or a slice or two of pizza with a salad. The only other thing is to try to keep your fats a little lower on those refeed days.

I totally agree that it's SCARY to add those carbs back in. BUT, if you make them healthy (oatmeal, sweet potatoes, brown rice, some extra fruit, etc.) then it shouldn't cause you to fall off the wagon. If you plan it for just ONE DAY a week, then it's part of your program and you've proven that you can definitely stick to a program, right?

I'm actually very pleased with how this is working for me. No big results yet, but I feel fantastic! And, making this a planned thing helps me stick to it and not go overboard. At the holidays, I had a bit of a hard time because there was just so much illegal stuff everywhere! But, as a planned thing, I either go out and get one meal of something I'm craving or make myself one serving of a higher carb dish and then that's it! I'm not baking a whole batch of cookies or getting a big thing of garlic bread and tempting myself.

Make a plan and go for it! We're with you!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #704
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 6, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieLouie2007 View Post
That article rawked!

Now, I understand, you ARE working to get to competition level. My bad.

Now I really understand the frustration. Mine is coming right now from trying to just lose size at this point. At 5'6", 35% body fat and a size 12. I have lost some "size" but not nearly what I would have thought I was do at this juncture. I have awesome LBM, but the fat just wont leave and no I am not gaining LBM at any crazy rate either. In 2 1/2 years, Iv'e lost maybe 7 lbs. But I have dropped two sizes. So progress? Definitely, but the rate is just SO DAMN SLOW that I want to scream most days.
SAME story for me!! My abs are SO hard under the layers of fat over them! Seriously, I can poke my oblique area and it's HARD. I have hip bones and my ribs are beginning to show, yet I still have a belly.

All we can do is keep working, keep learning, keep tweaking. Eventually, we will make it.

Or, maybe we will win a huge lottery, have a tummy tuck and say "THAT was easy"......
Old 03-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #705
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:

and remember, after adding carbs for your refeed.. you are going to gain WATER wt!
It will come back off in a few days.. k..
Dont freak out.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #706
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
laura you cant make too many changes, you wont know what to evaluate.
I know, that's why I was wondering if I should just give the higher cals and current ratios another week or two before I go changing something else up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberryfan View Post
SAME story for me!! My abs are SO hard under the layers of fat over them! Seriously, I can poke my oblique area and it's HARD. I have hip bones and my ribs are beginning to show, yet I still have a belly.

All we can do is keep working, keep learning, keep tweaking. Eventually, we will make it.

Or, maybe we will win a huge lottery, have a tummy tuck and say "THAT was easy"......
My abs are hard too, and are definitely not my problem spot thanks to the tummy tuck I had almost 5 years ago. I really needed it after losing 70 pounds - I had so much extra skin in my abdominal region! I didn't need any lipo, just muscle repair and getting rid of all that extra skin. It was definitely worth the money and discomfort, because there was no way that extra skin was going away on it's own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
and remember, after adding carbs for your refeed.. you are going to gain WATER wt!
It will come back off in a few days.. k..
Dont freak out.
Oh, I know all about the carb bloat!
Old 03-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #707
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yah, Carb bloat does suck.
Like Celeste said, if you get your extra carbs from the good complex carbs, the carb bloat isn't bad. Last time I didn't gain any weight after my refeed.
But, If I have a cheat meal like french fries or chips and salsa, I'll be a coupe pounds up the next day.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #708
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Quote:
My abs are hard too, and are definitely not my problem spot thanks to the tummy tuck I had almost 5 years ago. I really needed it after losing 70 pounds - I had so much extra skin in my abdominal region! I didn't need any lipo, just muscle repair and getting rid of all that extra skin. It was definitely worth the money and discomfort, because there was no way that extra skin was going away on it's own...
Please don't tell me that excess skin won't resolve. My trainer says it does if you get your BF percentages low enough and I can't afford to have saggy skin cut off. The entire reason I started to lift was in the hopes that reducing body fat was going to 'heal' the saggy skin.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #709
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Same issues with my... ahHim. Ladies... LOL although, I dont have much hardness under them yet! LOL
Old 03-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #710
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Like Celeste said, if you get your extra carbs from the good complex carbs, the carb bloat isn't bad. Last time I didn't gain any weight after my refeed.
But, If I have a cheat meal like french fries or chips and salsa, I'll be a coupe pounds up the next day.
I was definitely planning on only eating comples carb earlier in the day (I was thinking of oatmeal with breakfast, an orange for AM snack, and then Dreamfield's pasta with lunch, then only fiborous carbs after lunch. That sound good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeGA View Post
Please don't tell me that excess skin won't resolve. My trainer says it does if you get your BF percentages low enough and I can't afford to have saggy skin cut off. The entire reason I started to lift was in the hopes that reducing body fat was going to 'heal' the saggy skin.
It didn't with me. But I'm only 5'3", once weighed 200 lbs, and had a kid. My skin everywhere else tightened up nicely, but not so much with my tummy. I wasn't going to wait for years to see if it'd tighten up on it's own. I looked great everywhere else, and wanted to finally feel good about myself. It was the right decision for me, but I obviously can't speak for anyone else.

Have you tried dry skin brushing and firming lotion? That can help quite a bit.

Quote:
Same issues with my... ahHim. Ladies... LOL although, I dont have much hardness under them yet! LOL
Me too, that's why I just filled those babies back up the same time I got my TT! I used to say that I was a 34C in a bra, and a 34 long out of one!

Again, dry skin brushing and firming lotion can make a big difference - it totally saved me from having to have a breast lift.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #711
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
The carb thing still askeers me, but I am trying to get over it.

I need some definite help in the nutrition department. I mean I know what I NEED to do, its just getting over the whole carb thing w/o wanting to eat everything else in sight is still an issue.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #712
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeGA View Post
My skin has improved dramatically. That has been the one benefit of really sloooooooow weight loss.

But I am not going to kid myself, if the skin is badly stretchmarked, it isn't going all the way back. That's just fact. And after 100 lbs of weight gain and loss and two kids, I have enough stretch marks that if I lined them up end to end they would run from Phoenix to Flagstaff.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #713
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I wanna fill mine up!! No fair!! Thanks for the advice on dry brushing. LOL Just use a loofa for that?

In regards to your refeed plan. That is pretty much what I do! I taper off through out the day. Good plan
Old 03-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #714
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieLouie2007 View Post
The carb thing still askeers me, but I am trying to get over it.

I need some definite help in the nutrition department. I mean I know what I NEED to do, its just getting over the whole carb thing w/o wanting to eat everything else in sight is still an issue.
Ileen and Rachel really helped me out on this one! They got me over the carb-a-phobic thing. Once I switched over to the rhelm of complex carb eating, I had tummy bloat and some ick for a couple days, 2 days tops, after that it was smooth sailing and now my muscles are thanking me! Once I started to eat differently my reflection really started to change.
Here is a sample of what i eat everyday

Preworkout,,.. 1.5 hours before.
M1- 1/2 cup dry oatmeal cooked, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 T natural peanut butter.(protein oatmeal.)
after workout
M2- Protein pancakes or lite cakes, EFT pancakes... 3 egg whites, 1/3 cup oat bran, or 1/3 cup oatmeal, 1/3 cup cottage cheese, cinnamon splenda, blend in blender and pour on pre heated griddle.. SF maple syrup, MY FAV!
M3- Chopped veggie salad, low fat dressing, grilled chicken breast, baked LC tortilla, cut up in wedges like chips.
M4- 1/2 cup LF cottage cheese, 1 granny smith apple chopped with cinnamon and splenda
M5- grilled chicken, sweet potato with cinnamon and splenda
M6- yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup cottage cheese.
Anyways, I thought it helped me to start off slow. Increase you carbs around workout times.
Looking at the meal plans in the thread called, "Whatja eating" in the muscle matters section helped me too. I am a copy cat, and I need that guidance. I was clue less too. Now I have a fist sized carb and a palm sized protein with every meal, and a double open hand serving of veggies.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #715
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I found this thread a while back. This was a post from Wendy, and it helped me start out as well. I'm all about the research!! LOL

" 1. If you are scared of increasing carbs, begin by adding carbs before and after your workouts. Your body will thank you and they will not be stored as fat. Some great starchy carbs to start with are oatmeal, brown rice, and sweetpotatoes.

2. Eat 5-6 meals per day. I had a hard time with this at first. I just didn't feel like eating. Once your metabolism kicks in, you'll find yourself very hungry every 2-3 hours; this is a good thing!

3. Slowly increase your carbs and calories each week. For your height, I would think you would want to shoot for at least 1500 calories per day minimum. Your body needs this fuel to workout and to show it that you are not starving and it will start to let go of the fat.

Once you start increasing your carbs and exercising heavily, you may want to avoid the scale for a couple weeks b/c your muscles will initially take on some extra water. This is NOT fat!!

During your carbier meals, use minimal fat.

4. Start taking measurements so that you can see those inches melt away!! "
Old 03-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #716
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
I don't have stretch marks and the main skin I'm worried about is the upper arms, the thighs and then a little in the trunk area (both back and belly). I lost 60 lbs. pretty quickly and that was what did it to me. Now, 18 months later, I'm still 'jiggly' in the skin and want that gone. I'm really hoping for the weight thing/BF loss will improve the skin tone.

I have heard of dry brushing, but I've never made the investment. I should look into it more seriously I suppose.

Had 'the girls' done 4 years ago. A lift is a marvelous thing! and mine was a lift/fill so while I wish I'd done more (I'm really tall with really broad shoulders and I think a little more up front would balance me better in my clothes) I'm very grateful to have had that done when I did.

Now, for the question:

How long to you suggest a certain eating pattern before you make a change? For example, if you are at XX carbs/fats/calories and you want to change to YY carbs/fats/calories should you give it 2 weeks, a month, etc. to really chart a pattern before you change?

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #717
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good question..... LOL I dont know the answer to that one.. I'm not very nutrition savvy...
I think that, when you are working out, building muscle and losing fat, your nutrition needs are going to change, and your body will let you know..
If you start out at 173 pounds , and you were eating 2076 calories to lose weight, now if you are at 165 calories, thos carlories will be to high for you, so now you'll have to change it to 1980 calories to continue to lose... You can also determine your calorie need by your LBM. My weight hasn't really changed, but my LBM has. So If you get an accurate BF% reading, you can take your LBM and figure out your caloric needs as well.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #718
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Ileen and Rachel really helped me out on this one! They got me over the carb-a-phobic thing. Once I switched over to the rhelm of complex carb eating, I had tummy bloat and some ick for a couple days, 2 days tops, after that it was smooth sailing and now my muscles are thanking me! Once I started to eat differently my reflection really started to change.
Here is a sample of what i eat everyday

Preworkout,,.. 1.5 hours before.
M1- 1/2 cup dry oatmeal cooked, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 T natural peanut butter.(protein oatmeal.)
after workout
M2- Protein pancakes or lite cakes, EFT pancakes... 3 egg whites, 1/3 cup oat bran, or 1/3 cup oatmeal, 1/3 cup cottage cheese, cinnamon splenda, blend in blender and pour on pre heated griddle.. SF maple syrup, MY FAV!
M3- Chopped veggie salad, low fat dressing, grilled chicken breast, baked LC tortilla, cut up in wedges like chips.
M4- 1/2 cup LF cottage cheese, 1 granny smith apple chopped with cinnamon and splenda
M5- grilled chicken, sweet potato with cinnamon and splenda
M6- yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup cottage cheese.
Anyways, I thought it helped me to start off slow. Increase you carbs around workout times.
Looking at the meal plans in the thread called, "Whatja eating" in the muscle matters section helped me too. I am a copy cat, and I need that guidance. I was clue less too. Now I have a fist sized carb and a palm sized protein with every meal, and a double open hand serving of veggies.
That's sounds workable, kinda like the Zone meal plan the trainer has been trying to get me to work with. Stubborn me.

Plus I have wheat intolerance issues and this sounds pretty wheat free. And I have had some good luck with brown rice and sweet potatoes. I havent added in any oatmeal, but I was afraid of it causing cravings.

I also have issues with eating so often I really like having only 3 meals, but I know I have to get out of that mindframe.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #719
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Louie, One thing that I will say is that cravings are more so than they were before. It does make it easy since I can eat 6 times a day. LOL I usually quite comfortable, unless I really worked out hard and my body is saying "FEED ME" LOL
I think it is a great plan. I started it slowly and did 50p/30c/20f... then I slowly worked my way to the 40/40/20... Meals numbers, start with 4 and work your way up. If I do get cravings I just adjust a little and then Im good to go. Its work, and I still feel like I dont know what Im doing... SO I copy menus, and ask tons of questions..
Old 03-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #720
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, The Zone and BFl are really similar!! I have heard great things about Zone. I like the little meals through out the day. I dont get full and tired, I feel like I am constantly fueled and energetic. It maybe due to exercize too since it makes us feel better. Once I switched my WOE I felt great! I thought I felt good on Atkins, but now, I REALLY feel good. Workouts rock and the results are coming faster than before..
Closed Thread