Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #661
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Rachel. Yep, Im getting blonde highlights.. maybe caramel because my hair is so dark. I used to have heavily highlighted hair about 10 years ago and I was almost blonde. I think I do like my hair dark better than light... I have been on the fence about this.. We'll see. LOL
Laura, Thank you!! IF I do highlight it I will post the pics. LOL

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #662
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Siggie
Went to the gym and lifted weights upper body. Also did pushups and crunches. Ankle still swollen and stiff.

I am going ot do crunches tomorrow and floor excercise for my lower body.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:18 AM   #663
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
laura, strength traiing in the am, lower body pm.. ?? what did you do am? arent they the same?

Erik was my birthday present
Old 03-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #664
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
laura, strength traiing in the am, lower body pm.. ?? what did you do am? arent they the same?

Erik was my birthday present
I did an AWT (aerobic strength training) workout by the Firm in the morning, and only used 3/5/8# DBs. Trust me, it's more a cardio workout than anything else for me right now. Just with weights. Then, I did butt focused (but with some leg) floorwork in the afternoon, with no weights. This is in an effort to slim my lower body because I'm a dreaded pear!

You lucky dog! Since my birhtday's come and gone this year, I'll have to settle for Mother's Day if I don't see some results by then.

I think I did better with my food yesterday. Look, mom, no shakes!

Friday, March 12th:
  • LC yogurt
  • 4 slices bacon + 2 eggs
  • tuna salad with 2 tbsp mayo + 10 thick cucumbers slices
  • 1/4 pound turkey burger with 2 tbsp mustard
  • 6 ozs London Broil + sauteed zucchini & onion
  • LC yogurt
  • 1 gallon water

Per ******:
Calories 1,397
Fat 77.8 = 51 %
Carbohydrate 20.8 = 6 %
Protein 146.7 = 44 %

I know I need to get more veggies in. I just wasn't in much of a veggie mood yesterday. I was totally focusing on getting my protein in, then worried about everything else.

AM workout = Express Cardio (30 minute Firm Step workout)
PM workout = High & Tight (30 minute BBL floor workout)
Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #665
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ileen.. Nice Birthday present! Its a gift that keeps on giving

Laura~ Great menu, and workouts! Feels good doesn't it!

I am taking Sat and Sun off of working out. I had a crappy LCWO last night. I was mad when I got to the fitness center and it was hard to stay focused. There were large people all around me, where the free weights are, visiting, laughing, goofing around. That is the only place where there are free weights. I had to grab my heavy dumbbells, move around them, "excuse me, excuse me" , then go around them again to put them back. In the mean time they are all googgling me, and giving me strange looks. How Dare I! I was in their visit group... Silly me. LOL Alright, enough sarcasm.

Today I am trying to figure out what I can do to get faster results.. I should have been losing SOME weight being in a deficit... I need to win me some prize money!!!!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #666

jami if you are continually losing inches and/or leaning out, dont worry on the scale! you might be gaining some muscle.. that's called the 'sweet spot'

laura.. got ya.. that works..I often split my workout or do a metobolic one later in the day too.

mothers day and my bday are one and the same.. May 12th is my bday. And yes, this has been THE best gift ever.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #667
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You'd think after 2 months of exersizing, some fat loss would show measurably on the scale though?? Right?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #668

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
You'd think after 2 months of exersizing, some fat loss would show measurably on the scale though?? Right?
Jami you want FAT LOSS, not wt loss .. that is what matters!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #669

revisit this:

Quote:
By Erik Ledin

Why does bodyweight matter so much to 'you'?

This is going to turn into more of a rant I think.

What does bodyweight tell you? It tells you what you WEIGH!! Who knows what you weigh? You. Who cares what you weigh? No one else. What are your goals when it comes to training and nutrition? In most cases, at some point, it will be fat loss ... or is it just weight loss?
Do you care where your weight loss comes from? Or is the only thing that matters is seeing a lower number on the scale. What if you looked the same? Just a smaller version of your current self? Would that matter? Ok, so I'll assume and answer for you - you care about FAT loss, not weight loss. I mean, if you didn't care where it came from, then you're perfectly fine with your weight loss coming from a combination of fat AND muscle right? It's all good as long as that stupid scale comes down right? Come on.

What does the scale tell you? I'm waiting ... Yes, the answer is that easy. It tells you what you WEIGH!!!

It doesn't tell you anything about what the composition of that weight is. It says nothing about bodyfat, muscle mass, fat, or anything else. It tells you what you weigh. Why is it such an important number to you? Other people don't know what you weigh; they see what you look like.

What are people's perception of what you look like based on? The composition of your bodyweight - muscle, fat, bodyfat, etc and NOT the number on the scale. People know if you're in shape or out of shape, if you look good or don't look good based on well, what you look like ... obviously. Not based on the tshirt you have to wear every day that gives a daily update of your bodyweight.

Let's say you dropped 5 lbs of fat. That's good. Let's say, you happened to gain 5 lbs of muscle. That's really good. Uh oh, problem. It would appear to me that if the above were true, you'd register no change on the scale. You weigh the same. You're a failure.
Or are you?

That might not register as weight loss on the scale, but that represents a 10lb change in the look of your body. Is that not why you're training? To LOOK better? Your waist is smaller, your hips are smaller, your legs are smaller, your clothes fit better, friends and family are commenting on your 'weight loss' and asking you what you're doing ... and yet? Your weight hasn't changed much. Failure. You realize because of the stupid number your scale spits out ... that you've made no progress. Come on! Is this resonating yet? Of course you've made progress. Plenty of it.

If your measurements have come down, you're smaller. If you're smaller, you're losing fat. Fat is weight. If you're losing fat you're losing weight (that is associated with the lost fat) If the scale says you're not losing weight in light of the above, well something's happening. Something is being added to your body to counterbalance the loss of fat weight. Guess what? This isn't a bad thing. Chances are you're in the SWEET SPOT of simultaneous fat loss ... and muscle gain, which is not easy to do, so if you're there, be happy and enjoy it! So the addition of muscle (weight) is counterbalancing the loss of fat (weight). Is this not a great thing? What improves how your body looks? Fat loss and muscle gains. NOT just weight loss for the sake of seeing a smaller number on the scale.

Now, get over the scale already, and start paying attention to the signs that your body is improving - measurements, skin fold readings (maybe), how your clothes fit, comments from others, etc. Got it? Good.

Last edited by inatic; 03-13-2010 at 09:08 AM..
Old 03-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #670
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Jami you want FAT LOSS, not wt loss .. that is what matters!
I know,... But then I think, that fat has to weigh something.... and when it starts to go away a scale should detect it.. even in a couple ounces..
Old 03-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #671
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Ileen, of course the article is absolutely correct... BUT... we are all so human. And in today's age we are a microwave society... instant results. It will take a lot of time to retrain thinking to use a tape measure to gauge our progress and not the bathroom scale.

I'm sorry I didn't take more exact measurements when I began. I weighed and I measured my waist. I won't loose/change a whole lot in my waist. I should have done my upper arms, my hips, my thighs...

It's like getting people to STOP saying, "muscle weighs more than fat"...
Old 03-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #672

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 8
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
133 this morning. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think I look leaner; sometimes I don't, lol. I have been looking at my before photos quite a bit. I didn't get a good side shot, but I did get an accidental up close of my belly. I know I've changed there.

Original weight goal set with my consultant was 131. However, I would take a higher weight for better body composition any day!

I am focused on Wednesday...but I also need to start thinking about what happens after Wednesday. I think my consultant will give me a maintenance plan to use, but I'm not quite ready for maintenance.

I want to keep getting leander, and I'm going to need to commit to a (self-guided) program to get there. I want to do a three-day split, and I'm going to stay off the grains and slowly reintroduce some dairy, mostly greek yogurt.

Jami, you HAVE had great results. I know because I've seen your pictures. Keep doing what you're doing, and you will continue to lean out. Eat clean, work hard, be consistent. (I understand that it's hard not to see the number go down, but seriously, you've had very positive changes in your photos, and I'm not just saying that.)

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 03-13-2010 at 09:39 AM..
Old 03-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #673
Major LCF Poster!

Jami, I know you're frustrated, but I really think you just need to step away from the scale for a bit and look hard at where you're at. You weigh about 142 and are 5'7" - that's awesome! You're only a few pounds away from your goal - does it really matter if you hit it as long as the way your body looks - and feels - continues to improve? You've clearly leaned out a good bit, so you have lost fat. Please, focus on what you have accomplished instead of what you think you haven't, okay? You've found what works for you, and even said yourself that you're loving your results so far. Focus on that!

Ileen, I what you posted! Erik's right on the money, and I love how brash he is about it. Totally no nonsense. Me likey!

NeGA, I agree with you, but also think that we need to stop thinking that way. Non of gained this weight in two or three weeks, so it's unfair of us to expect to lose in that short a timeframe. It takes time to change our bodies, and we need to expect and respect that. Trying to do too much too soon can lead to injury, burnout, and damaged metabolisms. And then where would we be? Right back where we started.

Rachel - I bet that you'll do just great on your own. You have all of the tools you need to get to your ultimat goal. You must be so excited for Wednesday to come!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #674
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Girls,
I just see others on exercize and nutrition plans and they are all losing, even though they are all close to their goals. I'm frustrated because I have been trying to lose weight for 6 months now and nothing is happening, except for the small amount of 1/2inch that I've lost, when I started working out again 2 months ago.
Thank you all for you kind words though. I just get frustrated.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #675

Quote:
I know,... But then I think, that fat has to weigh something.... and when it starts to go away a scale should detect it.. even in a couple ounces..
did you not read fat loss /muscle gain SWEET SPOT??= NO wt lost..
Old 03-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #676
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Laura, I totally agree that a mind switch is in order. Not only does the number on the scale not give us any real information but clothing sizes are a joke as well. I'm 5'10" and married at age 19. I weighed 136 lbs. and my wedding dress was a 10! Now, 32 years later, I weigh 165 and my present jean size is a 10... no way they are the same...

My only point was that culturally we aren't patient. NOW is good and yesterday is better when we want something. So many folks give up on their health changes because they don't see results in what they consider a 'timely fashion'. Media feeds that with all the magazine headlines that tout, "Loss 15 lbs. by next week!"

I started weight lifting because I finally learned I can't change anything over night and to finally start looking at the long term.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #677
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Girls,
I just see others on exercize and nutrition plans and they are all losing, even though they are all close to their goals. I'm frustrated because I have been trying to lose weight for 6 months now and nothing is happening, except for the small amount of 1/2inch that I've lost, when I started working out again 2 months ago.
Hey, it could be worse - you could have been busting your butt all this time and had absolutely NO results like I have! No weight lost, no inches lost, and jeans just as tight as they were when I started.

You have had results, sweetie, so focus on that. And yes, you're lucky, in that you're able to lose fat while building muscle!

Quote:
did you not read fat loss /muscle gain SWEET SPOT??= NO wt lost..
I want to be in the sweet spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeGA View Post
Laura, I totally agree that a mind switch is in order. Not only does the number on the scale not give us any real information but clothing sizes are a joke as well. I'm 5'10" and married at age 19. I weighed 136 lbs. and my wedding dress was a 10! Now, 32 years later, I weigh 165 and my present jean size is a 10... no way they are the same...

My only point was that culturally we aren't patient. NOW is good and yesterday is better when we want something. So many folks give up on their health changes because they don't see results in what they consider a 'timely fashion'. Media feeds that with all the magazine headlines that tout, "Loss 15 lbs. by next week!"

I started weight lifting because I finally learned I can't change anything over night and to finally start looking at the long term.
I agree with you, and was only pointing out that we, as a society, needs to stop expecting everything immediately. Patience is a good thing in that I think it makes one appreciate what they received (weight loss, a gift, whatever) when they do recieve it. If it comes too easy, it's usually not appreciated as much IMO.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #678
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Laura~ Really?? No results? It took me forever to see a change too. Once I got my nutrition right, that is when I started seeing some movement. I guess some people may take longer than others... right?? I just read something a little while ago about how some women may not see any changes for at least 6 weeks after starting a program. thats probably why people give up so easily..

Ileen~ Sweet Spot... I like that! LOL Thanks!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #679
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

QUOTE from Ileens post "That might not register as weight loss on the scale, but that represents a 10lb change in the look of your body. Is that not why you're training? To LOOK better? Your waist is smaller, your hips are smaller, your legs are smaller, your clothes fit better, friends and family are commenting on your 'weight loss' and asking you what you're doing ... and yet? Your weight hasn't changed much. Failure. You realize because of the stupid number your scale spits out ... that you've made no progress. Come on! Is this resonating yet? Of course you've made progress. Plenty of it."

I am at work and didn't have time to read all that. I just had the chance. This makes me feel so much better!! My dad called me today at work and asked me to please give him a copy of the plan that I am doing because he was amazed by the results... I showed him my pics... with that being said, it is hard to look in the mirror, and then look at the scale and then notice the progress after...
I just need to keep pushing foreward... RIGHT LAURA Give it some patients and the then we'll reap the rewards.. This being said after my vent! LOL
Old 03-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #680
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Laura~ Really?? No results? It took me forever to see a change too. Once I got my nutrition right, that is when I started seeing some movement. I guess some people may take longer than others... right?? I just read something a little while ago about how some women may not see any changes for at least 6 weeks after starting a program. thats probably why people give up so easily..

Really - no results at all! And this was after 6 weeks of doing my rotation and eating the way that I did when I lost all that weight back in 2003. In hindsight, I realize that the rotation was way too easy for me, so I wasn't pushing myself at all. Helloooo, how can one expect change when they're not pushing the envelope? Complete D'OH! moment for me! As for my eating, I'm really hoping that this WOE will work for me.

Quote:
QUOTE from Ileens post "That might not register as weight loss on the scale, but that represents a 10lb change in the look of your body. Is that not why you're training? To LOOK better? Your waist is smaller, your hips are smaller, your legs are smaller, your clothes fit better, friends and family are commenting on your 'weight loss' and asking you what you're doing ... and yet? Your weight hasn't changed much. Failure. You realize because of the stupid number your scale spits out ... that you've made no progress. Come on! Is this resonating yet? Of course you've made progress. Plenty of it."

I am at work and didn't have time to read all that. I just had the chance. This makes me feel so much better!! My dad called me today at work and asked me to please give him a copy of the plan that I am doing because he was amazed by the results... I showed him my pics... with that being said, it is hard to look in the mirror, and then look at the scale and then notice the progress after...
I just need to keep pushing foreward... RIGHT LAURA Give it some patients and the then we'll reap the rewards.. This being said after my vent! LOL
I kept wondering why you didn't say anything about it, as profound as the information was. I'm glad that you got a chance to read it and that it struck a chord with you. That's awesome about your dad!
Old 03-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #681
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
Really - no results at all! And this was after 6 weeks of doing my rotation and eating the way that I did when I lost all that weight back in 2003. In hindsight, I realize that the rotation was way too easy for me, so I wasn't pushing myself at all. Helloooo, how can one expect change when they're not pushing the envelope? Complete D'OH! moment for me! As for my eating, I'm really hoping that this WOE will work for me.

I kept wondering why you didn't say anything about it, as profound as the information was. I'm glad that you got a chance to read it and that it struck a chord with you. That's awesome about your dad!
Awww, Man! Im sorry. I hope that your WOE will work. That is so tough. You think that you are doing everything right... and then... nothing. I started Atkins in September, and I lost about 10 pounds right away. Then after that I didn't lose anything. I still kept with it, thinking it was that post induction stall thingy and then I'll have that whoosh that every one talks about.. Finally, with some convincing from my muscle matters friends, I changed my WOE and then I started to notice my body changing. I still had to find a structured plan though. I can never just "wing it", or I would get lost in it.

That WAS a great post that Ileen linked for us. I have visited that website quite a few times and he has some great articles. I should just read those when Im feeling frustrated instead of venting off my steam all the time.
My dad weighs over 400 pounds. I really wish that he could find something that would work for him. I think he is still waiting for the magic pill that will make him 220 pounds again. I try to help him though. I have set up a work out routine for him at home that he has been doing everyday. Treadmill for 15 minutes, body weight push ups, squats, free weights. He said that he is starting to feel better which makes me feel really fullfilled.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #682

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 8
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Jami, it's so sweet that you are helping your dad. That's one of the best things in the world. I remember when I first discovered low carb...years ago...and my brother was getting really overweight, despite exercising on a regular basis. I got him started on the Sugarbusters diet, and it *really* helped him out. Then my dad started doing it, and he got healthy.

Well, I did it! I got my spray tan (fun!) and changed my hair to dark with blonde highlights. It's really fun. I also got my leg workout in at Gold's and went and restocked up on chicken, eggs, and green veggies.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #683
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 6, 2007
Quick update: Will catch up on the thread later.

Refeed & workout day.
5-6 minutes low impact cardio to warm-up
25 Dead lifts @ 62lbs
40 Bird dogs
20 Shoulder press @40lbs
20 planks @ 10 counts each
30 Reverse crunch
20 bench press @ 40lbs
40 arrowheads (butt lifts)

Did not do too well on refeeding today. I just didn't want to eat off plan?.... I had a normal breakfast:
minute muffin w/ butter, sausage, & 2 lg coffees w/ splenda & half&half
lunch:
1/3 cup old fashioned oatmeal, 1 scoop whey, 2T half&half, cinnamon & splenda & 2 pats butter
dinner:
1/2 container of hunan chicken (white meat, celery, onion, carrots & brocolli)
1/3 cup white rice
2 large 1/2 caf coffees w/ splenda & half&half
& a large ghirardelli chocolate chip cookie - that was about my only significant carbage for the day.

Last night I went to a nice Mexican restaurant & only ate maybe 5 chips with salsa. Just not that tempted!!!

Great Sunday everyone!
Old 03-14-2010, 03:43 AM   #684
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rachel. Thanks.. LOL My dad is forever trying new diets.. He was always an Atkins kind of dude, and it has worked for him in the past. He just cant stick to anything. I try to act supportive, but I know he wont stick to it. OH well, at least he *trys*
Fun day yesterday for you!! Spray tan, hair and workout!! I cant wait to see your pics! I bet you look so good!! I need a spray tan as well. I am so white, and *see through* all my veins are really showing through my skin, so you see these dark blueish lines streak my arms and chest... I look like a vampire...

Celeste~ Good job for resisting the chips! if I went to a Mexican restaurant I would be fueling up on Margaritas and Chips.. Those are my favorite junk foods. You are doing such a great job! Who cares about your refeed day! If you were feeling good and didn't feel like you needed it, than your body probably didn't.. did you say large ghirardelli chocolate chip cookie.... mmmmm cooooookiesssss

Have a wonderful day everyone! I was completely OP yesterday. Some days I tend to have a little bit of this or that... I know, not very good. Its never anything to really add up that much, but it still isn't according to plan.

OFF to work! Last day and I'm off. Im just so excited that I actually remembered to change my clocks ahead. That means it will feel like I get out of work earlier.... right?? If not dont tell me. I'll just keep saying that to myself.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:56 AM   #685
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday, Planned meals for today..
M1 2 Eggs, Scrambled Quaker Oats Plain Oatmeal Packet
M2 Eas 100% Whey protein, Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
M3 Broccoli Steamed Grilled Skinless Chicken Breast 1/2 potato
M4 Land O Lakes 2% Lowfat Cottage Cheese, AE (Anderson Erickson) Yo Lite Blueberry Yogurt
M5 Cauliflower, Tyson Chicken Breast, Cucumber Lettuce Bolthouse Farms Yogart Blue Cheese Dressing
M6 Land O Lakes 2% Lowfat Cottage Cheese Banana, medium, Log Cabin Sugar Free Syrup

Percentages 42p/38c/20f
Totals cals 1,343.20 carbs 135.83g, fat 30.16g, Protein 138.49g, fiber 22.49g
Old 03-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #686
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning!

Jami - That's good that your dad's trying to lose weight and get in shape. That's got to be frustrating to you though that he won't stick with what clearly works well for him.

Rachel - You did go darker with blonde highlights! I can't wait to see your hair! Okay, and the rest of you too.

Celeste - It looks like you got in a decent amount of carbs. How many grams do you aim to get in on a refeed? I'm so nervous about doing my first refeed!

Okay, quick question for you all - I've got close to a week of eating at higher cals under me, and I'm happy to report that 1) I'm not gaining (I was so worried about that!), and 2) I'm actually down a little bit! (My official weigh-ins are Monday, so I won't be recording anything until then.) Okay, here's my question: should I go ahead and do a refeed tomorrow (as I had originally planned) or maybe wait another week and give my body a chance to get used to the higher amount of calories?

Recap from Sunday, March 14th:
B - 4 slices bacon + 2 eggs
S - CarbMaster yogurt
L - 1/4 lb turkey burger + mustard + 1 oz cheese + 2/3 cup edamame
S - 1 serving Smokehouse almonds (28)
D - baked Cordon Blue (8 oz chicken breast + 1 oz cheese + 1/2 oz ham) + 2 servings stir-fry veggies
W - 1 gallon

Per ******:
Calories 1,546
Fat 79.9
Carbohydrate 32.6
Protein 163.4
Fat (47%) Carbs (9%) Protein (44%)

AM Workout - No More Trouble Zones. They use a 5# kettlebell in it, and I normally use my 7# bell for this workout. But today, I pushed the envelope a bit and used my 10#er. Wow, what a difference! I also completed the bonus ab workout on NMTZ with the 10#er.

PM Workout - 5 minutes on my Gazelle + 25 kettlebell swings (20# bell) x 4 = 20 minutes on the Gazelle and 100 kettlebell swings
Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #687
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LouieLouie2007
Stats: 250+/181.8/160 or 23% body fat 5'6" 34 yrs
WOE: Atkins all the way baby!
Start Date: April 2003/Start again April 06 post 2nd child
Morning!

Sorry I havent been around. Really busy. Made it to therapy Friday. They have raised my threshholds, which is really nice. Can start showing them what I am really capable of. My range of motion in my ankle has improved mightily, but it still reminds me of my limitations. Like last night when walking on it all day long finally made it say "Enough!"

We went to the Renaissance Festival yesterday. Had a blast. I actually did good foodwise, since they actually do have real food. Probably a little too much salt, but I was totally chugging the fluids as it was pretty warm.

Had a turkey leg for breakfast, roasted chicken breast with red skinned potatoes and split fresh strawberries and chocolate with the hubby for lunch, had a scotch egg (boiled egg wrapped in sausage) and a little bit of hubby's turkey leg at the end of the day for dinner. And snacked on some brie and raw milk swiss when we got home.

The only workout was all day walking and a heck of a lot of laughter.

Today will be cleaning and organizing the house. Back to the gym and PT on Monday.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #688
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
revisit this:

By Erik Ledin

Why does bodyweight matter so much to 'you'?

This is going to turn into more of a rant I think.

What does bodyweight tell you? It tells you what you WEIGH!! Who knows what you weigh? You. Who cares what you weigh? No one else. What are your goals when it comes to training and nutrition? In most cases, at some point, it will be fat loss ... or is it just weight loss?
Do you care where your weight loss comes from? Or is the only thing that matters is seeing a lower number on the scale. What if you looked the same? Just a smaller version of your current self? Would that matter? Ok, so I'll assume and answer for you - you care about FAT loss, not weight loss. I mean, if you didn't care where it came from, then you're perfectly fine with your weight loss coming from a combination of fat AND muscle right? It's all good as long as that stupid scale comes down right? Come on.

What does the scale tell you? I'm waiting ... Yes, the answer is that easy. It tells you what you WEIGH!!!

It doesn't tell you anything about what the composition of that weight is. It says nothing about bodyfat, muscle mass, fat, or anything else. It tells you what you weigh. Why is it such an important number to you? Other people don't know what you weigh; they see what you look like.

What are people's perception of what you look like based on? The composition of your bodyweight - muscle, fat, bodyfat, etc and NOT the number on the scale. People know if you're in shape or out of shape, if you look good or don't look good based on well, what you look like ... obviously. Not based on the tshirt you have to wear every day that gives a daily update of your bodyweight.

Let's say you dropped 5 lbs of fat. That's good. Let's say, you happened to gain 5 lbs of muscle. That's really good. Uh oh, problem. It would appear to me that if the above were true, you'd register no change on the scale. You weigh the same. You're a failure.
Or are you?

That might not register as weight loss on the scale, but that represents a 10lb change in the look of your body. Is that not why you're training? To LOOK better? Your waist is smaller, your hips are smaller, your legs are smaller, your clothes fit better, friends and family are commenting on your 'weight loss' and asking you what you're doing ... and yet? Your weight hasn't changed much. Failure. You realize because of the stupid number your scale spits out ... that you've made no progress. Come on! Is this resonating yet? Of course you've made progress. Plenty of it.

If your measurements have come down, you're smaller. If you're smaller, you're losing fat. Fat is weight. If you're losing fat you're losing weight (that is associated with the lost fat) If the scale says you're not losing weight in light of the above, well something's happening. Something is being added to your body to counterbalance the loss of fat weight. Guess what? This isn't a bad thing. Chances are you're in the SWEET SPOT of simultaneous fat loss ... and muscle gain, which is not easy to do, so if you're there, be happy and enjoy it! So the addition of muscle (weight) is counterbalancing the loss of fat (weight). Is this not a great thing? What improves how your body looks? Fat loss and muscle gains. NOT just weight loss for the sake of seeing a smaller number on the scale.

Now, get over the scale already, and start paying attention to the signs that your body is improving - measurements, skin fold readings (maybe), how your clothes fit, comments from others, etc. Got it? Good.

Love it!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #689
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks Girls,
I understand the frustration, but at your height, your weight AND your body fat percentage, your body likely IS going to fight you. You are already so "normal" your body is probably going "WTH? She wants to lose MORE?" At some point, you have to decide what you can settle for. a goal of 15% is a really tough one to achieve. And unless you are competing, may not be a fabulous idea anyway. You stop menstruating usually below 18% and that has all other kinds of ramifications.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #690
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Yeah, I really need to work on my nutrition.
Closed Thread