Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #631
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Celeste, you are wise to take it easy on your ankle. Healing is very important!

Jami, I have friends who hold water weight when they take pain relievers. I wonder if that is why your scale was up a bit? Your pictures obviously reflect a lean body, so you're doing everything right! Thank you for always being so supportive.

Louie, I'm glad that you're cleared for some activity, but I'm sorry to hear about your triathalon. ((hugs))

Oz, you are strong. I can barely lift 20's on the dumbbell chest press.

Siggie, I've heard good things about that program. My trainer even says it's a good one!

Hi to everyone! Hope you all have a good Thursday!
Rachel. Your right. Maybe that did add some water weight. I forgot about that. I think that there are a couple other factors in the mix as well
Your welcome btw!! I think you are doing excellent! You are very motivating to me. What a wonderful thread! Isn't it funny how you find yourself in new places. I remember stumbling in here one day.. Then all of a sudden I was hooked! This is a very positive thread, and with all the Hecklers in life I need to surround my self with positive people, who are goal oriented like me!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #632
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks86 View Post
body fat has went down 4%.
Oh my gosh Snooks!!! Good job! That is a huge decrease!!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #633
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Siggy - I didn't get a chance to do that floor workout I was telling you about, but am doing it today. I'll be sure to do a write up of it for you and post it here. I hope it'll be a help to you while your ankle heals.

Oz - I'm so sorry. I was so busy trying to get myself back on track that I totally missed that you were too! I think your new rotation looks great, and agree that trying to do a strength workout the morning after an evening workout isn't the best idea. WTG also with those heavy weights!

Rachel - congrats on your scale victory! You sound like you've got a great plan going until Tuesday. You sound so excited about your pics, and rightfully so!

Jami - you can do pull ups? OMG, how many? I'd love to be able to do those, but am not even close. I still do the weeny horizontal pull ups. ITA with you about not focusing on the number on the scale - no one else can see it, so why fret about it? Especially when we all can see the difference in your body from the before pics that you posted!

Celeste - yeah, you better baby that knee! The last thing you want to do is really injure it.

Louie - I'm glad to hear that you've been cleared for some exercise, but so sad that hear that you won't be able to do your triathlon.

Snooks - WOW!!! THat's awesome!

Okay, with the great advice you all have given me, here's my new plan of attack:
  • bringing back my beloved weight training - I'm so psyched about this!
  • doing my Firm workouts first thing in the morning (before eating) to amp up my fat burning
  • doing my BBL workout in the afternoon for the spark effect
  • I'm upping my calories a bit - I guess 1200 is just too low for me now
  • incorporating calorie cycling (1500 on strength training days [MWF], 1400 on cardio days [TTS], & 1300 on rest days [S])
  • doing a once weekly carb refeed on Mondays
If I want to look like a fitness model, it stands to reason that I need to eat and train like one. Man, I really hope this works, as I am just so over busting my butt and not getting any results from it.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #634
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Laura!! Today I only did 3, but it was after I worked out.. When I used to do pull ups as part of my routine I would do 3 sets. 6,4,3. I have always had a lot of upper body strength, when I was in kindergarten my dad bought me a pull up bar and I have been doing them ever since. LOL What are horizontal pull ups?? palms facing you?? body weight or with a machine, like Pull downs?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #635
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Laura, It seems like you really have a great plan going on over there! I think you are going to get some great results!!
Thanks BTW for starting this Thread, GREAT IDEA!!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #636
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks86 View Post
body fat has went down 4%.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #637
Major LCF Poster!

Celeste - thanks so much for posting that link. I read through it all, and really liked it.

Ileen - I saw your pics and read your bio on the site. Both are very inspirational! How did you get hooked up with your coach? How long have you been training with him?

Wow, Jami, you do have a strong upper body! I wish I did. But alas, I am blessed - or cursed, depending on how you look at it - with a strong lower body. My aim is to gain strength in my upper body and lean out my lower body.

I really hope all these changes will bring me some results. As I said before, I was really getting discouraged doing what I thought was right, but not seing any results from all of that work.

Here's my menu for today - what do you guys think?

post workout: protein shake
breakfast: 1 oz cheese + .5 oz ham in a 1 LC tortilla
snack: protein shake
lunch: tuna salad lettuce wraps
dinner: 2 turkey burgers (1/4 lb each) + 1 cup broccoli

Per ******:
Calories 1,488
Fat 70.5
Carbohydrate 39.7
Protein 182.8
Fat (42%) Carbs (10%) Protein (48%)

I think I need to get that fat down some more, and add some more veggies...
Old 03-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #638

oh thank you!!

In May, i've been working with Erik for 4yrs! Wow time has flown by.

I was posting on another LC site and the mod at the time suggested i was spinning my wheels and busting my bum with a local trainer with not enough results. She suggested Erik. So my training partner and I switched to working with him.. It's been an awesome experience!

Laura, why so many shakes? Food is actually more thermogenic.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #639

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/145.4/135
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2014
Laura, have you ever cut out protein shakes and the LC tortilla before? I'm only asking because my consultant had me cut out all grains, all dairy, all protein shakes, all processed foods...and that's when I broke my plateau. You could give it a try for a week, if it's something you haven't tried already.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #640
Major LCF Poster!

Ileen, I'm drinking the shakes because I'm really not sure what else I can be eating that will give me the smal1 amount of protein with as little fat and carbs. I'd totally eat tuna all day, but worry about the mercury. Do you mind posting a typical day's worth of food?

So, you work with Erik online? That's so cool!

Rachel - I did when I was doing pure Atkins. I had pretty good results, then fizzled out. Again, I'm just not sure what to replace the protein shakes with. I'm all for doing that if I can figure that part out. Would you mind posting your menu too?
Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #641

Yes my work with Erik is all on line. He sets (by my choice) my training and diet.. ) but you can chose just training or just diet.. I like the i think about nothing and excute plan. Online training is much less expensive than in person training.

As for Low cal/low carb protein choices.. goodness TONS
eggwhites are low in cals as is
cottage cheese 1%
greek yogurt 0%
chicken
turkey
lean fish
lean beef

I eat all those daily.

Look at the BFL protein choice list for some ideas.
i eat all those items daily.. and then depending carbs or fats..

set your protein intake first , then fat and carbs (around your training). More carbs on training days and more fats on non training days or how you feel comfy.

i dont eat process carbs but eat things like oats, swt tators, white tators, beans and br rice.. I ate eat white rice or white tators.. sometimes, if i chose post workout, i eat grains or even junk.. as long as it fits my carb allowance and cals.. but mostly i dont eat junk at all except for a free meal (how often depends on current goals/plan) and other times it's refeeds instead of free meals.

Last edited by inatic; 03-11-2010 at 01:35 PM..
Old 03-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #642

Laura, my menu this week is weird. It's not a good example to share. But, instead of protein shakes, I would do celery with almond butter or shrimp with cucumbers or scrambled egg whites (or even regular scrambled eggs.)

I do work full-time, and I've found that eggs are very portable, as are the other options I mentioned. Depending on your tolerance for fruit, an apple with almond butter could be another good choice. Oh, and nut are very portable...non salted pistachios or walnuts are another easy snack. Another option would be beef jerky (but you'd want the low sodium kind.)

Oh, and sorry if you've already said, but how are you calculating your protein requirements?

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 03-11-2010 at 01:39 PM..
Old 03-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #643
Major LCF Poster!

Ileen, I can see why you have Erik train you for both - it must be nice to not have to plan what you need to eat! Do you mind sharing what your fat/protein/carb ratios normally are?

Rachel - I do like eggs, and honestly am not sure why I didn't plan on having any today. I also love nuts, and would be more than happy to add some of those in!

I'll go back and tinker with today's menu some more...
Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #644

He doesnt set menus via ratios or percentages.... Pecentages mean nuthing. He has an article or two on his site based on that.

and i have no clue what they are because i dont enter my menus to see.. I couldnt care less ..
my menu says eat xx amt of xx food ..that is why he does it all. I dont want to punch a number, plan a plan etc.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #645
Major LCF Poster!

Okay. I thought perhaps he had that info available to you along with your meal plans, or kept you on a certain set of ratios. Thanks anyway, as the other info you posted is a big help.

Hmmm...maybe I need to get in touch with Erik!
Old 03-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #646

i know where my cals are just not the exact breakdown. It's not important for me... That is an option if i chose to ask for it..*I* dont care, someone else might.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #647
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Oh, and sorry if you've already said, but how are you calculating your protein requirements?
Sorry, I missed this the first time around, Rachel. I'm going with what Twyla suggested: 1 to 1.5 times my body weight (146 right now) = 146 to 219. What are your thoughts on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
i know where my cals are just not the exact breakdown. It's not important for me... That is an option if i chose to ask for it..*I* dont care, someone else might.
I can see why you'd feel that way, Ileen - what Erik's got you doing is clearly working for you, so why sweat the details?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #648

One of things I've liked about working with my consultant is having him give me a meal plan. I don't have to count anything or worry about any ratios. Such a relief! I'm not a numbers person and calculations drive me crazy. I really am going to just eat off a food list when I start on my own. I've got a pretty good feel for what the right amount of food is for me and will adjust my carbs around my workouts.

Laura, I just know that my consultant was setting my protein at about 1g per pound of body weight. However, I know there is a wide range...I was just thinking that you could substitute things like eggs for a protein shake, but it is going to make your protein ratio go down. That's why I was asking.

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 03-11-2010 at 03:22 PM..
Old 03-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #649
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 6, 2007
Got through my workout with banging up my knee anymore..or so it seems now. We'll see how it feels tomorrow!

I seem to be having trouble getting in the amount of protein I should be eating. I'll keep trying. Today's menu so far looks like this:
B - 1 minute muffin, coffee w/ half & half and sausage
S - Atkins shake
S - 1 oz part-skim mozzarella
L - protein oatmeal w/ cinnamon and butter
S - peanut butter
D - should be chicken breast in a lt. sour cream sauce w/ onions, celery, bacon bits & a little parmesean served over fresh spinach (made this up and it's YUMMAY!) Dinner will be small, so I may end up having another protein shake in order to get more protein in.

Pre-dinner cals/fat/carb/fiber/protein: 1142/77g/48g/19g/77g

Workout ~
5 minutes of step-touch, grapevine and side stretches to warm up
15 dead lifts @ 62 lbs
10 sh. press @ 40 lbs
60 hip extentions
30 pullovers @ 30 lbs
40 reverse crunch
40 cross knee crunch
20 curls @ 30 lbs
15 tricep ext. @ 30 lbs
40 arrowheads

Ate my protein oatmeal after lifting, then did 20 minutes of hitt jogging in place. One minute jog, one minute step touch or grapevine.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #650
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
There is so much going on with this thread! Thank you to everyone who posts. I'm learning a lot.

Yesterday was all cardio and abs. Today was suppose to be LB but I broke a tooth at church brunch (I brought my own food and cracked a tooth on an almond) so the rest of the day has been at the dentist. $500 later I'm shot... oh well... just move the schedule and look forward to tomorrow.

Rachel, can't wait to see the photos!

Snooks - 4% down... Impressive... Thanks for sharing.

Ileen - You mentioned almost 4 years with your trainer. How long did it take before you really started to notice improvements?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #651

Almost immediately for *me*.. the change in training was so much more effective than what i was doing and the diet keyed in for me which i was having major trouble with..
Old 03-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #652

for example..
this was right before i started with him and this was within two months later.my back exploded!

Last edited by inatic; 03-11-2010 at 03:50 PM..
Old 03-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #653
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
Almost immediately for *me*.. the change in training was so much more effective than what i was doing and the diet keyed in for me which i was having major trouble with..
That nutrition really is where its at!!

HI Ileen!! Glad to see ya!

Last edited by jamistar77; 03-12-2010 at 09:06 AM..
Old 03-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #654
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone! Back to work today.. I have my meals packed in my little cooler, Planning on doing LBWO after I get off tonight.
Here are my stats from yesterday. I love adding those percents. Thanks for the idea Twyla!
Stats for Thursday: today was a lower carb day. I've had a couple higher days this week and I am looking puffy eyed and my rings are getting tight! LOL Calories were also a little low, but it was eat and run all day.. Very busy! Most of my meals this week have been 1700-1900 calories.
M1~ Protein shake (made with unsweetened almond breeze, cottage cheese, protein powder, flax seed, ice) Very good!
M2~ salad with ground hamburger, chopped veggies, lf dressing
M3~ cottage cheese yogurt
M4~ LC turkey deli meat wrap, with ff cheese, spicy musturd lettuce
M5~ LC soft taco, side salad w/ ff dressing
M6~ no sugar added applesauce, cottage cheese
1253 cals
46g fat 32%
74g carbs 23%
148g protein 45%
20g fiber
Old 03-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #655

Good morning, my fitness minded friends...

I am at 133.1 on the scale this morning.

I have big plans for the weekend...but my daughter is recovering from the stomach flu, so I'm not sure how things will go. Here's what I have planned:

-two weight workouts, one upper, one lower
-three low intensity cardio workouts, thirty minutes on the workout days, plus just a "fun" day on Sunday...like bowling or actively playing with my daughter at the park
-spray tan
-hair color...I have been wanting to go back to my darker blonde hair for some time. My hair went really blonde last year, and I didn't love it...but my boyfriend at the time did. So, I stayed blonde for him. I think this is a great time for me to change it back to what I want. Since this fitness journey has been about rediscovering myself as well as transforming my body.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #656
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rachel. SOunds like you are going to have a fun weekend!! I hope your daughter is feeling better, that stomach flu can be torturous!!
I think you look georgous on your avi pic Pretty hair, shiney and healthy.
I have an apt to get my hair highlighted as well, but it isnt for a couple weeks. The dress I have to wear to my friends wedding looks good with my dark hair, so I'm keeping it until after the wedding.. LOL I haven't highlighted my hair in ages, so Im curious to see how it will look.
WHen you mentioned fitness journey. I agree, it certainly gives you the chance to get to know your bodys needs.. Isn't it great to see how you ARE in charge of your body, and you can change it with the knowledge of proper diet and exercise!! It makes me so excited!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #657
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
I'm sure for most of the world it's TGIF... since it means I start work tomorrow I'm never very excited... but happy weekend to everyone else!

Y'all continue to be my inspiration so keep it up!

Rachel, about haircolor, I'm 51 and have been coloring my hair for decades. My husband married me as a light brown girl, but he suggested blonde and I've been playing with my hair every since. When I started working on me and my health and my fitness one of the first things I did was cut my hair short and grown out all the hair color. My hair is now totally my own and the gray isn't too bad! In fact it adds a nice highlight. So, congrats on decided to do what YOU want with YOUR hair. Still looking forward to pictures!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #658

Thank you, Jami! I have discovered many things about myself during my journey. Like, I can do hard things. I can commit to something. I can keep promises to myself. I can make goals and meet them. I can eat healthy, no problem. I am not afraid to "be different" and bring my own food to work and turn down junk food on a daily basis.

I like working out for the endorphins and for how it makes me feel. I feel like the journey has really helped *transform* me and helped me have the courage to deal with some issues I was having (a few financial problems that I was afraid to face...I have now faced them and solved them.) Oh! And I have lost fat and gained muscle along the way! It's the bonus!!

Are you going to get blonde highlights? I am going to have my stylist weave in dark blonde, so I won't be completely dark. Although, I have had my hair every color from very dark brown to platinum blonde, lol.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #659

Karla, thank you. I'm done doing my hair for men. I don't have a boyfriend right now. In the past, I've cut my hair for men. I've gotten extensions for men. I've gone really blonde (it was an accident, but he liked it, so I kept it.) Now I'm 43, and I'm doing what I want...growing my hair long and coloring it the way I want.

I will post photos Wednesday or Thursday, depending on how soon I get them from my consultant!
Old 03-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #660
Major LCF Poster!

OMG, ya'll have been posting like crazy! Me likey!

Rachel - I'm shooting for around 150 grams of protein today without using any protein shakes. I love what you're planning on doing to your hair, and think it'll look a lot better on you than the plain blonde. The darker color with the highlights will really make your beautiful blues pop, and will really compliment your skin tone. Can you tell I highlights?

Celeste - I see you're having the same problem that I was/am having re, getting enough calories. I'm finding that inputting my food into ****** is really helping me map out my food. Once I get some good combos, I think I'll make some flash cards, so that I can have my very own "Deal a Meal" system. Hopefully that'll make this easier.

NeGA - I'm sorry to hear about your tooth. I can't believe you broke it on an almond!

Ileen - OMG, what a transformation! Okay, that's it - if I don't see some major improvements by the end of April, I'm hiring Erik come hell or high water! Erik can be my Mother's Day present!

Jami - WTG, packing your meals! I think your hair looks so pretty dark, but I bet it'll also look fabulous highlighted. You will be sharing pics after you get it done, right?

I did pretty well yesterday. Did my strength training workout in the morning before breakfast and my lower body workout in the late afternoon. I also did pretty well with my eating, coming in at a little over 1500 calories. I still need to tinker with things a bit, but at least I got my calories in and kept my carbs low.

Per ******:
Calories 1,516
Fat 89.9
Carbohydrate 43.8
Dietary Fiber 20.5
Protein 147.3

Fat (52%) Carbs (11%) Protein (37%)
Closed Thread