Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 06:52 AM   #601
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
I decided to take more pics. I wasn't seeing the mirror image change, so I decided to take more picutures.
Here are my stats for week 4
no changes in weight, which is fine by me. The inches are coming off. I am looking leaner.Attachment 28797

Attachment 28798

Attachment 28799
fixed that for ya..

You ARE looking leaner!!

nice!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #602
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LouieLouie2007
Stats: 250+/181.8/160 or 23% body fat 5'6" 34 yrs
WOE: Atkins all the way baby!
Start Date: April 2003/Start again April 06 post 2nd child
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggie View Post
No bruising. Heard and felt the pop. I have a visible knot. My ankle is more stiff than painful. Doesn't hurt to walk on it. Does hurt if I push it.
If you felt a pop and had swelling, then DEFINITELY no impact right now. You tore a ligament a little bit. The pop is a classic telltale sign. Bruising may take up to a week to show, mine did and then it was horrible.

Was it on the inside or outside of the ankle?

Walgreens makes a really nice brace I have. It has lightly rigid inserts in the material and straps that criss cross over your foot, providing good stability. It was $15.99 and it has been worth every penny.

Right now, you are in the acute phase of the injury so its standard RICE treatment right now. 3 times per day. Your primary goal right now will be to get the swelling down. I am 4 weeks in and I am still swollen around the ankle bone and have major weakness going up on my toes. I however made the mistake the first few days after of being too active. I even finshed my workout after the initial hurt. Treat yourself kindly right now. Upper body, core work are all a go, but avoid all lower body and even the bike for about a week to two weeks. If you are still having problems 10 days in, see your dr.

Last edited by LouieLouie2007; 03-10-2010 at 08:03 AM..
Old 03-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #603
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
fixed that for ya..

You ARE looking leaner!!

nice!!
Thank You Ileen!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #604
Blabbermouth!!!

Hiya everyone!

Doing good here. Never di make it to the gym. Financial brainstorming took precedence. Dont think I am going to make it today either. Hubby and I have a lunch date with leftovers at the house. Although I have physical therapy tonight.

Food is good. I added in some carbs yesterday and was rewarded with scale loss during a OMS week. Weird. But I think it helped with the after dinner snacking. I have been practically pacing after dinner lately looking for "something else" w/o really knowing what it is I want. 1/4 cup of brown rice w/ my dinner last night and Poof! No pacing. Don't know if there is a link or not, but I was grateful for it.

So today:

B: 2 fried eggs, 1.5 slices bacon
L: leftover chicken breast w/bacon and cheese, broccoli and brown rice
D: not sure yet

Have a great day!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #605
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Louie, I have been doing that after dinner too.. Pacing is a good term to use.. I wish I could find the thing that makes it go "Poof", LOL I usually drink that celestial seasoning tea and it helps with my cravings.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #606
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Louie, I have been doing that after dinner too.. Pacing is a good term to use.. I wish I could find the thing that makes it go "Poof", LOL I usually drink that celestial seasoning tea and it helps with my cravings.
I will try that. I have more tea in the house than you can shake a tea ball at!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #607
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieLouie2007 View Post
I will try that. I have more tea in the house than you can shake a tea ball at!
Steep them up girl! LOL
Old 03-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #608

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 8
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Back from my consultant. No change this week in bf% or scale weight. One week left until my "after" photos. I'm doing a crazy "competition" diet to see how far I can get and to look good for my photos. I'm also getting a spray tan. Low fat, low carb, low calorie this week, with an hour of low intensity cardio each day and three heavy weight training sessions! Let's see what happens!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #609
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Okay, what do you all think of the following changes I'm incorporating immediately:
  • I'm going back to strength training. I've missed it, and am tired of not doing something that I enjoy, and that I know is good for me. I did The Firm's Total Muscle Shaping yesterday, and it felt great! It's an AWT workout, so I also got my heartrate up and my sweat on.
  • I'm going back to working out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I was reading in my new Muscle & Fitness Hers magazine that new research concludes that the fat burn is higher when you do cardio on an empty stomach. That's how I used to work out, so I'm going back to that. I can even do my strength workouts that way, provided that I do them first thing in the morning. If I wait too long, then I have issues.
  • I think I want to try calorie cycling, using my number and your number as my minimums and maximums. I'll make sure that I get 1500 calories in when I'm doing my strength training days (3 per week), and restrict them a little on non-strength days (3 per week). The only day I'll go as low as 1200 calories will be my rest day.
  • I also want to try doing refeeds, but honestly, don't know enough about them yet. I was thinking of doing one a week, on Mondays (which are my official weigh in days), and also a strength day. Since I'll be exercising before I eat, will it hurt me to have say the protein oatmeal after I work out? At what other meal should I add in a good carb? I was thinking lunch instead of dinner to give me more time to burn them off. Is that right?

Yikes, that's a lot of changes! I'm skeered!

Nah, I'm actually excited, because I have hope that I can now start seeing the fruits of my labor. It's been so frustrating to be doing what I thought was right and getting nothing in the way of results.

Thanks again for your help - I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Firm Hottie; 03-10-2010 at 09:03 AM..
Old 03-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #610
Major LCF Poster!

D'oh, I forgot to post what I ate yesterday! Keep in mind that I know this isn't perfect, because I didn't have oatmeal, and am just trying this, but here you go:

B - LC yogurt (pre-workout)
L - 1/3 lb ground turkey + 1/3 can rotel + 1 oz cheese + 1 serving Dreamfield's pasta (post-workout)
S - 4 oz baked chicken + 2 cups lettuce + 1 oz cheese + 1/4 cup salsa + 4 tbsp sour cream
D - 10 chicken wings + celery sticks + 2 tbsp ranch dressing
W - 1 gallon
W - Total Muscle Shaping (only used 3/5/8# DBs)

I haven't popped that into ****** yet, but will. Man, I hope it's not a lot more than 1500 calories!

OMG, that "turkey helper" dish I had for lunch was excellent! Is Dreamfield's okay to have on refeeds, or should I have done wheat pasta or no pasta at all?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #611
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Capt. Carnivore
Stats: M / 5' 11" / 185 lbs.
WOE: VLC
Start Date: November 11, 2008
Hi guys,

Just got back from the gym and put in an hours worth of stretching and floor exercises - then did the 30 minute circuit at half max, hitting all major muscle groups. I'm going to continue with this plan 3x per week for the remainder of the month. Starting in April, I'm going to a 4 day split heavy lifting program. Still eating VLC - SKD and plan on continuing this until the end of June at which time I'll see how where I've progressed to and decide if I need to incorporate and type of carb cycle.

FOOD:

1. Cup of decaf coffee w/ cream, 1 oz. of macadamia nuts & 1 oz. of cheddar cheese
GYM
2. Grilled chicken breast w/ full fat Greek Yogurt sauce for dipping and a side of sauteed peppers, zucchini and mushrooms
3. Chicken salad melt w/ swiss cheese
4. NY strip steak

Hope you all have a smooth and successful day!

Beef fundamentalist

Started at 360 miserable lbs. in November 2008 - Lost 175 lbs. - Now maintaining a solid 185 lbs. for life!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #612
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 6, 2007
Laura,

Your plan sounds good, but your calories may still be a bit low? If you go to the link I posted last night for Erik Ledin's site, you can sign up for a free newsletter and get a free report about the top 10 not so obvious fat loss mistakes. It's a 22 page pdf file that's loaded with good info. It busts some of the myths about losing, gives brief explanation of refeeds, and talks about how best to workout. As Stack pointed out yesterday, it's very difficult to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. This pdf talks about that very thing. Good luck. I think you're on the right track!

Ilene & Twyla ~ Thanks! I know calorie burn estimates from working out are usually bogus. I WISH jumping on the rebounder burned as much as they say. I'd be a TOOTHPICK by now if it did. (not that I actually want to be a toothpick!)
Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #613

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackdiesel View Post
Thanks for the props, Jami and Twyla.
add me to the 'fan club'

looking good!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #614
Major LCF Poster!

Nope, Celeste, they were a tad too high!

Per ******:
Calories 1,672
Fat 86.8
Carbohydrate 65.6
Protein 154.0
Fat (46%) Carbs (15%) Protein (38%)

Oops! O'well, I'm not going to sweat those extra calories. If nothing else, they'll really help confuse the heck out of my body after eating at so low a caloric level for so long.

I know I need to up my protein and lower my fat. The wings just kind of happened - we were at a bar playing Team Trivia, and suddenly I was starving (must have been the strength training I did earlier). The wings looked like the best option on the menu, so I went with them.

I will definitely check that out, Celeste. Thanks for posting that info.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #615
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Siggie
Thanks Louie.

I have the brace. It certainly helps.

I am so about not being able to do my P90 tapes completely. I had/have a goal for my 1 year change of lifestyle anniversity and now it looks kinda bleak that I am going to make it. Trying to be positive but...

I just started my P90 challange and was really getting into it. On top of that my exercise routine is just way off, I didn't go to the trainers last week or this week. I tried the bike thing but laid off it because I felt it in my ankle (my right outside ankle and it is still swollen). I am going to just continue to do M-W-F upper body weights, push up (on my knees) and leg exercises. I'll work on my core everyday sit ups. Maybe will try to get in the pool and walk up and down the pool.

Just trying to remain focused. In the meantime, I am going to just be stricter with my food and water.

Last edited by Siggie; 03-10-2010 at 10:45 AM..
Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #616
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have always wanted to try the P90X dvd's. Are they pretty good? It seems like the challengers had some great results!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #617
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Siggie
I have both the original P90 and the newer P90X. My goal is to do the original and then start on P90X. They are good and do work. There is a thread on here for those already doing P90x.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #618
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks Louie.

I have the brace. It certainly helps.

I am so about not being able to do my P90 tapes completely. I had/have a goal for my 1 year change of lifestyle anniversity and now it looks kinda bleak that I am going to make it. Trying to be positive but...

I just started my P90 challange and was really getting into it. On top of that my exercise routine is just way off, I didn't go to the trainers last week or this week. I tried the bike thing but laid off it because I felt it in my ankle (my right outside ankle and it is still swollen). I am going to just continue to do M-W-F upper body weights, push up (on my knees) and leg exercises. I'll work on my core everyday sit ups. Maybe will try to get in the pool and walk up and down the pool.

Just trying to remain focused. In the meantime, I am going to just be stricter with my food and water.

Same ankle, same side as me.

I'm 4 weeks out from my injury, 7 weeks into an 8 week gym weight loss challenge, and 3 weeks into a 12 weeks work weight loss challenge. And on top of that all, I was triathlon training for a tri I already paid for....

I so feel ya!

I'm seriously frustrated. The Dr told me 3-12 WEEKS to be healed! Due to the level of damage I accomplished. Still going to PT, still aching, still no strength when I point.

I think you have a good plan. The pool is good, but dont swim! I tried and OW OW OW!!! I have managed to maintain and even lose a little despite being laid up just doing weights and core work.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #619
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I have both the original P90 and the newer P90X. My goal is to do the original and then start on P90X. They are good and do work. There is a thread on here for those already doing P90x.
WOW! I'll have to find it.. and be a thread stalker!
Old 03-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #620
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had a fantastic workout today... I split my UBWO sessions to two days instead of one. In the BFL plan it says to do, chest, back, shoulder, biceps and tricps all in one workout! Geez, By the time I got down to the last 2 muscle groups I was to fatigued to lift like I wanted to. So Today I did chest, back and abs. 2 exercises for each group. I also flipped my pyramid and did my short/heavy reps first and I was able to lift much heavier, and I got such a great workout! All this followed by 15 minutes of stationary bike..
Meals for the day.
M1~ protein oatmeal
M2~ protein shake
M3~ grilled chicken, sweet potato, steamed broccoli
M4~ cottage cheese, raspberries, and SF peaches... Yum
M5~ planning on having a Grilled chicken salad w/ LF yogurt dressing
M6~ planning on having cottage cheese and yogurt.
I did have a meal plan for the day and it did change a little bit as the day progressed.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #621
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
no feedback on my change of routine from the previous page . Oh well going well with it so far anyway .

Did an UB weights + s/s cardio, yoga & streches this morning. Managed 11kgs (~24lbs) per dumbbell for chest fly, chest press, skull breakers & chest pull/tricep extensions. Still only doing 10kg (22lbs) per dumbbell for bicep curl/shoulder press and I think that'll stay there for some time particularly with my left arm bicep curl. Still sore in my upper back from the barbell yesterday I think, but good workout type sore. These are definitely muscles that have been missing out before.

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
Old 03-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #622

Counting down the days until my after pictures!

Saw a new low on the scale this morning...133.8. The original scale goal I sent with my trainer back in November was 131, so I'm pretty close.

My calories are low this week, but I can handle it for one week. Low carb, low calorie, low fat...until Tuesday night when I will eat carbs and Wednesday morning when I will eat carbs. He told me that will make my muscles look for pumped for my photos.

Doing an hour of low intensity cardio every day this week, plus heavy weight training on Friday, Saturday, and Tuesday, with photos on Wednesday morning.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #623
Blabbermouth!!!

Morning!

Dinner last night was 1 pork chop with cranberry/walnut/pear chutney and 1/4th of a large sweet potato and a green salad. Yummeh!

This morning was an experiment with a johnnycake recipe that turned out good. Used Walden Farm's maple syrup and butter to top the and had 2 of them with a piece of bacon.

Lunch will be last night's leftover's and dinner is not planned yet.

Going to the gym tonight for my weight routine and an hour of yoga.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #624
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Counting down the days until my after pictures!

Saw a new low on the scale this morning...133.8. The original scale goal I sent with my trainer back in November was 131, so I'm pretty close.

My calories are low this week, but I can handle it for one week. Low carb, low calorie, low fat...until Tuesday night when I will eat carbs and Wednesday morning when I will eat carbs. He told me that will make my muscles look for pumped for my photos.

Doing an hour of low intensity cardio every day this week, plus heavy weight training on Friday, Saturday, and Tuesday, with photos on Wednesday morning.
Great job Rachel!!! You have worked so hard for that!

Speaking of carbs. I have had a carb uppage over the last few days. The scale showed it this morning! I had a new HIGH of 143.4. Highest I have ever been since September. Some of it was intentional, LOL.
The rest of this week will be low to moderate, I need to reset myself and then go back to my moderate carb intake again.
My calories have been around the 1700-1900 range also. I'm sure my body is getting used to the calorie deficit, so I'm trying to reset that as well.
Today through Sunday is going to be low carb, and 1400 calories. I hope to see a nice number on the scale by Monday..

I had a great workout today! I split up my UBWO routine so yesterday I did chest, back, abs, Today I did HIIT, followed by a 20 minute Steady jog, then I did Biceps, triceps and shoulders. Lots of energy for lifting even though I ran before hand.. After my UPWO this morning, I finished with pullups

Last edited by jamistar77; 03-11-2010 at 07:38 AM..
Old 03-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #625
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 6, 2007
I've got to do some upper body and core stuff today and leave my VERY sore left knee to heal. I over did the weight lifting and cardio on Tuesday and woke up with a sore, SORE knee. From what I can gather online, it's probably tendonitis in the tendon that holds the knee cap in place. Sooooooo, wish me luck!

Rachel ~ Way to go girl!!

Jami ~ I like your attitude. Sometimes we have to change our thinking to make progress. Your acceptance of a little gain on the scale shows you have a calm and reasoned approach. Good for you!!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #626
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Celeste! I was a little peeved about it at first, but then I realized, its just a number that reflects EVERYTHING, not the numbers that I need to focus on... make sense??
I hope that your knee is getting better. Do you take ibuprofen for it? I started myself on Ibuprofen therapy for a couple days when I started getting tendinitis in my elbows. I didn't take any today just to see how it was, and ... no more pain.. I was worried, sometimes that tendinitis can be a real bugger.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #627
Blabbermouth!!!

Well I saw the podiatrist for my ankle. Almost 5 weeks in and now I am okay to add squats, elliptical and balance training. Says yoga is a good choice.

But he also let me know that I am 3-4 months out from full recovery

And no Tri in April.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #628
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Louie, Thank GOodness!! I bet you feel great knowing that you can start adding in more workouts.. You'll get there. Its hard not pushing your self. I hurt my back last May, and I wasn't able to start working out again until January, not even walk long distances. You'll get there, just be patient.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #629

Celeste, you are wise to take it easy on your ankle. Healing is very important!

Jami, I have friends who hold water weight when they take pain relievers. I wonder if that is why your scale was up a bit? Your pictures obviously reflect a lean body, so you're doing everything right! Thank you for always being so supportive.

Louie, I'm glad that you're cleared for some activity, but I'm sorry to hear about your triathalon. ((hugs))

Oz, you are strong. I can barely lift 20's on the dumbbell chest press.

Siggie, I've heard good things about that program. My trainer even says it's a good one!

Hi to everyone! Hope you all have a good Thursday!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #630
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: snooks86
Stats: 6 ft, Past 270/Present 230/Goal 175 lbs
WOE: Atkins Induction
body fat has went down 4%.
Closed Thread