Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stackdiesel
Stats: 238/196/Unknown
WOE: Low Carb
Thanks Jami. You won't see test or DHT (dihydroxytestosterone) on the label as those are the actual hormones and are controlled substances. But some of these cocktails contain legal (for now) pro-hormone precursors that convert to, or mimic, those male hormones (DHT is what causes hair loss). I'm pretty supplement savvy, but can't find a particular suspect in that laundry list of ingredients. Must be some synergistic effect. I was just asking out of curiosity, not questioning your decision to stop taking it, which is obviously a good call.

Also, your workouts are money. You can't go wrong starting an upper-body workout with Dips and Pull-Ups.

-Stack

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: theoverman
Stats: 145/205/190?
WOE: Atkins (hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jjl View Post
YEA I WANT A BRAZILIAN BUTT TOO!!! PLEASE SHARE!!!!
I noticed the most glute hypertropy when I did heavy barbell back squats multiple times a week (as soreness allowed). I ripped the a out of 2 pair of work pants just bending over.

As for those brazilians, they seem to just carry their subcutaneous adipose differently than europeans.

mmmmm subcutaneous adipose....
Old 01-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 6, 2007
Just scanning right now, so I may've missed something. But, hairloss can be stress or losing weight too quickly. I did that when I first started LC'ing. My hair fell out in clumps because I was eating so little. (I know - STUPID - but I know better now!) Anyway, I started taking biotin and lecithin and my hair came back and is thicker now than when I was in high school. I get compliments on it all the time.

HTH!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Stack, I know you weren't questioning me I appreciate your inquiry though. It's nice to have some help. I am just wondering if most Creatine Pre workout drinks could do this to me. I better just drink Whey pre workout instead. I wont get the rush as I do with the N.O. Have you ever heard to Xtend?? Its a BCAA that I ordered. I thought I'd drink it before and during my workouts. I was just wondering if that would have the same side effects that shotgun had. Since you said you were supplement savy, you know Im going to show you the label. LOL

1 Serving Refreshing Watermelon
Supplement Facts
Serving Size1Packet
Servings Per Container1
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Vitamin B6(as Pyridoxine HCL) 10mg 500%
L-Leucine 3.5g †
L-Glutamine 2.5g †
L-Isoleucine 1.75g †
L-Valine 1.75g †
Citrulline Malate 1g †
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
† Daily Value not established
Other Ingredients
L-Leucine, L-Glutamine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine, Citrulline Malate, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Potassium Citrate, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Pyridoxine HCL
thanks btw in regards to my workouts! I love it. I got some good ideas from a body building web site.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoverman View Post
I noticed the most glute hypertropy when I did heavy barbell back squats multiple times a week (as soreness allowed). I ripped the a out of 2 pair of work pants just bending over.

As for those brazilians, they seem to just carry their subcutaneous adipose differently than europeans.

mmmmm subcutaneous adipose....

Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Celeste. Thanks! I have been LCing for about 4 months now. I didn't have an significant weight loss for a while. I just noticed it right when I started implementing the NO shotgun. I did buy some biotin today though! How much do you take??
Old 01-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Stack, I know you weren't questioning me I appreciate your inquiry though. It's nice to have some help. I am just wondering if most Creatine Pre workout drinks could do this to me. I better just drink Whey pre workout instead. I wont get the rush as I do with the N.O. Have you ever heard to Xtend?? Its a BCAA that I ordered. I thought I'd drink it before and during my workouts. I was just wondering if that would have the same side effects that shotgun had. Since you said you were supplement savy, you know Im going to show you the label. LOL

1 Serving Refreshing Watermelon
Supplement Facts
Serving Size1Packet
Servings Per Container1
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Vitamin B6(as Pyridoxine HCL) 10mg 500%
L-Leucine 3.5g †
L-Glutamine 2.5g †
L-Isoleucine 1.75g †
L-Valine 1.75g †
Citrulline Malate 1g †
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
† Daily Value not established
Other Ingredients
L-Leucine, L-Glutamine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine, Citrulline Malate, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Potassium Citrate, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Pyridoxine HCL
thanks btw in regards to my workouts! I love it. I got some good ideas from a body building web site.
I have tried the Xtend-didn't care for it. You have to use a lot of it and it gets expensive, doesn't fully dissolve and got no boost for my workouts from it. It is supposed to help with muscle soreness afterwards-many on a bodybuilding forum I post on claim this but I didn't notice it helping. I get more of a boost from a cup of coffee b4 I workout.

Last edited by lisabinil; 01-21-2010 at 11:24 AM..
Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #38

Quote:
Celeste. Thanks! I have been LCing for about 4 months now. I didn't have an significant weight loss for a while. I just noticed it right when I started implementing the NO shotgun. I did buy some biotin today though! How much do you take??

Many women report no loss after starting creatine. There's a lot of articles about creatine and water weight gain in women.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lisabinil~ Darn! LOL I bought the Shotgun, (failure), I bought xtend, although I haven't received this yet, I was hoping that I got a good supplement here. Oh well, I dont want to waste it. I'll just use it or give it to DH. The scales has been reading 140.0 for the last 4 days in a row. Maybe I am losing, but holding on to water from the creatine. I am definitely quitting it anyways, so maybe the threshold will break and i'll be down in a couple days.
Do you use any supplements for your workout??
Old 01-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Many women report no loss after starting creatine. There's a lot of articles about creatine and water weight gain in women.
We were talking about NO shotgun making my hair fall out. LOL I was saying I haven't lost a lot of weight to make my hair fall out, so it must have been the shotgun crap.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #41

Quote:
Lisabinil~ Darn! LOL I bought the Shotgun, (failure), I bought xtend, although I haven't received this yet, I was hoping that I got a good supplement here. Oh well, I dont want to waste it. I'll just use it or give it to DH. The scales has been reading 140.0 for the last 4 days in a row. Maybe I am losing, but holding on to water from the creatine. I am definitely quitting it anyways, so maybe the threshold will break and i'll be down in a couple days.
Do you use any supplements for your workout??

I just have a protein shake with Green Magma Plus afterwards. I seriously get the best energy from a simple cup of coffee and my dose of sublingual liquid B complex vitamin lol so I stopped buying the expensive preworkout supps. You might like the Xtend give it a shot. I even whizzed the stuff up in my Magic Bullett but it has white particles that never fully dissolve.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lisa, those white particles I think are mandatory in all liquid supplements! LOL I can never drink the last drink of anything. There is usually a gang of them on the bottom of my glass.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Jami,

I don't see anything in there that would cause hair loss to my knowledge. I've never heard of creatine having that effect and feel confident ruling creatine out as a possible cause.

A big part of creatine's job is muscle cell volumization, which it accomplishes by drawing and holding water into and in the cells. Which, of course, does increase scale weight, as lisabinil stated. You seem body composition-oriented, so this may not bother you.

Creatine is not a stimulant and does not cause a pre-workout energy surge. Rather, it accretes over the course of repeated doses and does its job of cell volumization and ATP recycling. Because it assists in the resynthesis of ATP - the body's fuel of choice for short-duration intense muscular contractions - it enhances that energy system. But not in the sense that a stimulant asserts its immediate effects on the body.

As lisabinil points out, good old caffeine really is king when it comes to a pre-workout stimulant.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Stack!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Hey guys!

Wednesday, January 20th

B - bacon & eggs
L - tuna salad with celery sticks & cauliflower with 2 tbs jalapeno ranch dressing (OMG this is SO good!)
S - 5 chicken wings and celery sticks with 2 tbs blue cheese dressing
D - grilled chicken salad with 2 tbs ranch dressing
W - 1 gallon
E - No More trouble Zones with 3# DBs

It never fails to amaze me how out of breath and sweaty Jillian can make me with just 3# DBs! This is really an awesome workout. For those of you with On Demand, you can check it out.

I double dog dare you!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
Morning everyone & TGIF! Seeing as I have my elliptical machine back in working order I could finally do a HIIT workout (replaced the broken resistance belt yesterday, it's been out of action for over 2 weeks waiting for this part). So no weight training for me today, cardio only . Planning another LB weights workout for the morning though.

Does everyone use protein/whey powder drinks in combination with lifting? I've never used these as shake. Last time I was on Atkins I could buy unsweetend vanilla whey protein isolate which I used to coat chicken as you can't get the flour subsitutes (excep soy ) in Australia. This time around I bought a vanilla whey protein isolate, but it is too sweet to use as a coating. I have finally found a use for it in yogurt now I've gotten up to that rung on OWL (75g full-fat greek yogurt, 1 scoop WPI, 2tbs HWC & 50g Raspberries). I only have this for breakfast 2-3 times a week so at that rate I'll take about 2 years to go through my huge tube of WPI .

There is a body-builder at my work who makes & sells his own protein powder which is LC, sweetened with suralose & chocolate flavour. I'd like to get some of this when I can afford it too - would make a nice alternative yogurt I think. What are the direct advantages of using a shake before/after a workout? I do my weights workout mostly first thing in the morning (fasted, which I prefer) and then have breakfast not long afterwards. I'm going to make sure I am having eggs and/or bacon for breakfast on lifting days and leave the yogurt for cardio mornings seeing as the carbs are much higher.

Feel like I'm rambling now so will leave it there for now, I'm sure I'll have more questions.

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
Old 01-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Jami - I take 5000 mcg of biotin per day and 250mg lecithin. I told one of the janitors (older lady) at a school I teach at frequently who was losing hair due to age and major stress. I told her last spring. This past fall the first day I taught there, she came to me to tearfully thank me for helping her. Her hair had thickened up nicely and looks even better now. (Saw her today!) Anyway, it's no overnight cure, but you will start to notice lots of baby hairs sprouting out in 6-8 weeks. I absolutely LOVE this. I took Nioxin one time to help my hair and all it did was lighten my wallet. Biotin and lecithin work great for me and they are very affordable.

Good luck!

P.S. Hey Stack - I just read about BCAA's. Are they really the bomb??
Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Quick look at my day.

I taught Kindergarten today, so I wasn't in the mood to workout when I got home. However, I couldn't let the day slide. So, I did a core set and lower body set, intermediate level, on the exercise ball. Some of those exercises are SO difficult!

I'm too dead now to post my menu. Maybe tomorrow!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rls1321
Stats: 58.6 LOST!! 5'9" - 25 yrs old
WOE: Atkins ('97)
Start Date: 1/3/09
Friday -

Workout: Stage #1, workout #6 of NROLW (about to leave for the gym!)
2 sets 12 deadlifts, 70#

2 sets 12 overhead shoulder press, 15# db
alt with
2 sets 12 wide grip lat pulldown, 75#

2 sets 12 lunges w/20# db
alt with
2 sets 10 swiss ball crunches

Food:
B - Quiche
S - HB egg, cottage cheese
L - Bunless burger w/side salad
D - Chicken and veggies

Have a great day guys
Old 01-22-2010, 03:31 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozdancer View Post

Does everyone use protein/whey powder drinks in combination with lifting? I've never used these as shake. Last time I was on Atkins I could buy unsweetend vanilla whey protein isolate which I used to coat chicken as you can't get the flour subsitutes (excep soy ) in Australia. This time around I bought a vanilla whey protein isolate, but it is too sweet to use as a coating. I have finally found a use for it in yogurt now I've gotten up to that rung on OWL (75g full-fat greek yogurt, 1 scoop WPI, 2tbs HWC & 50g Raspberries). I only have this for breakfast 2-3 times a week so at that rate I'll take about 2 years to go through my huge tube of WPI .
Oz. I use whey everyday. Especially after a workout, without fail, within 30 minutes . My favorite brands are Syntrax Nectar ( zero carb) and, Natures best Isopure which also comes in zero carb flavors. I make a shake for breakfast as soon as I get home from the gym. These shakes are around 5g total carbs and 250-300 calories. They are delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberryfan View Post
Jami - I take 5000 mcg of biotin per day and 250mg lecithin. I told one of the janitors (older lady) at a school I teach at frequently who was losing hair due to age and major stress. I told her last spring. This past fall the first day I taught there, she came to me to tearfully thank me for helping her. Her hair had thickened up nicely and looks even better now. (Saw her today!) Anyway, it's no overnight cure, but you will start to notice lots of baby hairs sprouting out in 6-8 weeks. I absolutely LOVE this. I took Nioxin one time to help my hair and all it did was lighten my wallet. Biotin and lecithin work great for me and they are very affordable.

Good luck!

P.S. Hey Stack - I just read about BCAA's. Are they really the bomb??
Thanks! I did start taking the biotin yesterday. I cant wait for my hair to come back! LOL I hope that it stops falling out now. It wasnt as bad this morning in the shower and I hope by Monday it stops falling out completely.
I bought Xtend BCAA. I havent started taking it yet, but I will on Monday. I have heard good and so-so comments about it.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:27 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Morning, fellow lifters!

Thursday, January 21st

B - scrambled eggs with ham, cheese, onions & peppers
L - large green salad with jalepeno ranch dressing + 5 chicken wings
D - baked chicken breast, broccoli and cheese
W - 1 gallon
E - Shred # 1 & #2 with 3# DBs

Had another good day! Eating was on track, and I got my workout in even though I was tired to the bone yesterday. I'm almost done with week three of this rotation, and I haven't missed a single workout yet.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:39 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozdancer View Post
Morning everyone & TGIF! Seeing as I have my elliptical machine back in working order I could finally do a HIIT workout (replaced the broken resistance belt yesterday, it's been out of action for over 2 weeks waiting for this part). So no weight training for me today, cardio only . Planning another LB weights workout for the morning though.

There is a body-builder at my work who makes & sells his own protein powder which is LC, sweetened with suralose & chocolate flavour. I'd like to get some of this when I can afford it too - would make a nice alternative yogurt I think. What are the direct advantages of using a shake before/after a workout? I do my weights workout mostly first thing in the morning (fasted, which I prefer) and then have breakfast not long afterwards. I'm going to make sure I am having eggs and/or bacon for breakfast on lifting days and leave the yogurt for cardio mornings seeing as the carbs are much higher.

Feel like I'm rambling now so will leave it there for now, I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Here's some good info about workout nutrition.

Around Workout Nutrition While Dieting – Q&A | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
Old 01-22-2010, 06:00 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Hi Celeste,

BCAA's are very effective in promoting anabolism. Bracketing BCAA's pre, during, and post-workout does decrease protein degradation and enhance recovery.

That being said, a good quality whey isolate has all the BCAA's 99% of us need and can benefit from, so if you are consuming a whey shake pre and post-workout, there's really no need to supplement with additional BCAA's. Also, BCAA's, especially leucine, are converted to glucose more rapidly than other amino acids, so in a carb-depleted state they will almost certainly be used as an energy source during an intense workout as opposed to cellular repair.

What's the upshot? BCAA's are great and are the real deal, but BCAA supplementation has been overhyped by the supplement industry. A good quality whey isolate will give you more bang for your buck. If you're not consuming whey in a pre and post-workout ritual, you will likely benefit from BCAA supplementation around your workouts.

-Stack
Old 01-22-2010, 06:08 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nice post Stack!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackdiesel View Post
Hi Celeste,

BCAA's are very effective in promoting anabolism. Bracketing BCAA's pre, during, and post-workout does decrease protein degradation and enhance recovery.

That being said, a good quality whey isolate has all the BCAA's 99% of us need and can benefit from, so if you are consuming a whey shake pre and post-workout, there's really no need to supplement with additional BCAA's. Also, BCAA's, especially leucine, are converted to glucose more rapidly than other amino acids, so in a carb-depleted state they will almost certainly be used as an energy source during an intense workout as opposed to cellular repair.

What's the upshot? BCAA's are great and are the real deal, but BCAA supplementation has been overhyped by the supplement industry. A good quality whey isolate will give you more bang for your buck. If you're not consuming whey in a pre and post-workout ritual, you will likely benefit from BCAA supplementation around your workouts.

-Stack
Exactly-save your $$ for a quality pp if you use one.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:24 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Exactly-save your $$ for a quality pp if you use one.
UGH! Lesson learned. I just got my Xtend delivered last night. LOL I usually dont use PP prior to work out, so this'll be usefull in the mean time.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks guys! I usually do have a whey shake before or after my workout, but not both. If I drink a shake before lifting, then afterwards I usually have some cheese or a hard-boiled egg. But, I will have to check the whey I use and see what it contains. I love the stuff and it's so convenient, so I may have to enjoy it more!
Old 01-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

DaVinci's SF Kaluha flavored syrup with chocolate PP is amazingly good!

Just sayin'.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Laura, That does sound good!
Old 01-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!