Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #541
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
Twyla - Really? 1500 calories. Not to be arguementative, because I'm really not (just trying to understand), but how do I explain that I started out at 200 lbs in 2003, did this same exact plan with 1200 calories, and lost so much weight back then? Why would it work then, but not now?
Laura, Venuto explains it well.

Quote:
METABOLIC SLOWDOWN

Metabolic slowdown is well documented. When calories are restricted, your metabolism decreases by at least 20-30%. With severe calorie restriction, some studies have shown that resting metabolism can become depressed by as much as 45%! That’s the equivalent of having your daily energy expenditure drop from 3000 calories per day to only 1650 calories per day! This is why, after prolonged low calorie dieting, you can eat very little food and still not lose weight. This also explains why it is so difficult to lose those last 10 or 20 pounds.

2. Very low calorie diets make you lose muscle

The most devastating effect of the low calorie diet is the loss of muscle tissue. Once the starvation alarm is triggered, your body begins looking for ways to conserve energy. Muscle is metabolically active tissue. Getting rid of it is the body’s way of decreasing energy expenditure. It’s easy for your body to use muscle for energy. This process is known Gluconeogenesis – converting muscle into glucose. This includes skeletal muscles, and internal organs, even your heart muscle! Study after study has shown that very low calorie diets without exercise will always cause 40 - 50% of the weight loss to come from lean tissue. Many diets, especiallythose that are low in carbohydrates, cause large losses in water weight. Between the loss of water, glycogen and muscle, fully 75% of the weight you lose on such plans is not fat! The initial weight loss on most diets is very deceiving, giving you only the illusion of success. Even with exercise, if a diet is too restrictive, much of the weight loss will still be lean tissue.

3. Very low calorie diets increase activity of fat-storing enzymes and decrease the activity of fat burning enzymes

The chief fat storing enzyme is called Lipoprotein Lipase (LPL). When you drop
your calories too low, your body will produce more LPL and less fat burning enzymes. In other words, when you don’t eat enough, your body changes its chemistry to make it easier to store fat in the future.

4. Very low calorie diets decrease output of thyroid hormone.

The Thyroid gland is largely responsible for the regulation of your basal metabolic rate (the rate at which you burn calories at rest). When your body senses a severe reduction in calories, there is a corresponding reduction in the output of active thyroid hormone (T3). The result is a decrease in your metabolic rate and fewer calories burned.

5. Very Low calorie dieting increases the chance of rebound weight gain

This lack of continued results, combined with gnawing hunger pangs and
insatiable craving, usually causes people to give up out of sheer frustration. They go off their diet, the weight creeps back on and their body fat ends up back where they started - only now they have less muscle and a slower metabolism. With a slower metabolism, what used to be a maintenance level now becomes a surplus, and the weight comes right back on. Most people gain back all the weight they lost– and some gain back even more, leaving them fatter than when they started. This up and down pattern of weight loss and weight re-gain is commonly known as the “yo-yo cycle”, and it often continues for years or even for an entire lifetime. With each repeated bout of dieting, your metabolism becomes less and less efficient and you can actually become progressively fatter while eating less food.

6. Very low calorie diets increase appetite and cravings.

When your body goes into starvation mode, this triggers increased appetite and cravings in an attempt to get you to eat more food. The hunger and cravings can be so strong that you become ravenous. It’s virtually impossible stay on a diet when you are voraciously hungry and all you can think about is food. Few people have that much willpower.

7. Very low calorie diets decrease your energy and work capacity

Low calorie diets leave you tired, lethargic and unable to sustain high levels of activity or intense workouts. Dr. Lawrence Lamb, author of “The Weighting Game: The truth about weight control” points out that “The first sign of under nutrition is the loss of energy and the inability to sustain prolonged physical work. There is a direct relationship between calories consumed and the physical work a person can do.” If you have no energy to work out, you’re going to feel lousy and seriously compromise your results. The ability to train hard aerobically and with weights is critical for your long-term success at fat loss.

Tom Venuto -- Burn the Fat, Feed The Muscle

------------------

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #542
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
Having 'fun' catching up in here this morning. Lots of great info, may have to read a few times to digest it.

Only did one UB workout last week, ended up being sick . Had 15hrs sleep Friday afternoon/night and a relatively quiet weekend and seem to be 100% today . Did an UB weights workout this morning with HIIT afterwards. First time I've done HIIT after weights in a while, usually I do steady-state cardio. Decided this morning I had the energy and really needed to as I had a carbage weekend.

Picked up the barbells & weights I got 2nd hand but they won't help me long term as they are too fat to fit enough of them on my dumbbells (5lbs each) and you can only fit 2 weights on each end of the barbells which is less weight than I was doing with my dumbbells ! I will have to go buy proper metal plates for my dumbbells which I should be able to use on the barbells as well so at least I can get something out of them .

Staying off the scale for the next week, hopefully I can undo the weekends damage by next Monday - at least I'll try to.

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
Old 03-08-2010, 04:59 AM   #543
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Good Morning Everyone!

Twyla~ thank you for posting that! Explains a lot...

oz~Weights and HIIT in one day! Geez girl! that 15 hours of sleep worked wonders for you!!

I was actually down this AM 139.8. Usually it hovers around the 142 mark... Every time I hit the 130's I'll have a big gain the next day for some reason. So tomorrow I bet I'll be around 143ish... I really dont care, but its just a trend I've noticed. Although, yesterday I could barely keep my scrub pants on at work. I was pulling them up all day, and my t shirt was huge on me as well...

Getting ready for the gym. LBWO day!! Yeah... Planning on doing some SS cardio as well, shooting for 20 minutes, but I know I'll be really fatigued at about 15.. I'll need to push.
Yesterday was LC day.. 36 total... Today a little bit higher since I'm doing LB.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #544
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LouieLouie2007
Stats: 250+/181.8/160 or 23% body fat 5'6" 34 yrs
WOE: Atkins all the way baby!
Start Date: April 2003/Start again April 06 post 2nd child
Hi!

No WO today other than PT for my ankle, I usually go at lunch but since I have PT that is nixed. However, if I get the chance I may sneak off to the gym tonight instead I will make the most of it.

Down 1/2 a lb this week. I'll take it. I lose so darn slow.

Food today is kinda lousy. Lunch is a catch as catch can as I had no leftovers and no money.

B: 3 eggs, 1.5 slices bacon, coffee w/1/2 and 1/2 and HWC. 1/4th apple
L: 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 3 ozs summer sausage, 2 oz raw milk cheddar cheese. 1 apple
D: shredded beef machaca (4ozs) w/ sour cream, bell peppers and onions, and salsa.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #545
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Siggie
I fell and hurt my ankle. UGH. It is a little sore today. I am going to try to do just upper body today while sitting.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #546
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Happy Monday everyone.

Since I am a 'weekend only' worker (get my 32 hours in two days) I LOVE Mondays. Now I sleep until noon to get over the weekend... but hey... I get half a Monday in and that's enough.

Mondays are a 2 hour ballet class for me as exercise so I have that to look forward to. Working on a better plan for my weigh lifting. Since I only have 4 days (Tues - Fri) to hit the gym any suggestions on combos?

Should I just go upper/lower/upper/lower and fit core/back into that? What about cardio? Maybe heavy upper/chest Mon; heavy cardio/abs Tues; upper/lower combo Wed; heavy cardio/abs Thurs; then lower body Fri?

My cardio is a climbing routine on the 'mill and a reverse drill on the ellipical so my legs get something each time.

What do y'all think?

Thanks,
Old 03-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #547
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shoo
Stats: 239/170/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2004
I am in Vancouver for the weekend,staying at the Coast Coal Harbour. Their gym is pretty good for a hotel so had a great workout this morning. Today was the fourth day,so 2nd one one the B workout. Hanging in there!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #548
Major LCF Poster!

Karla, I'm sure some of the more experienced will come in to help you with your weight plan. I've just changed to a 4 day upper/lower split - so I am supposed to do upper body Monday & Thursday; lower body Tuesday & Friday with cardio Wednesday & Saturday; DOR on Sunday. Haven't managed a full week of this yet due to my busy schedule and illness.

Skipped this morning's workout in lieu of much needed extra sleep. Have already requested time after work to do this instead (really just letting hubby know what my plans are and that he needs to supervise DD). Hopefully he will have assembled the trampoline that was delivered yesterday and DD will spend the ~1 hr I'm working out bouncing.

Shoo, we are going away in April to stay in an appartment hotel (I won a holiday) and I made sure we were going somewhere with a gym. Will be interesting to see what they have, pretty much guaranteed they have more than I do at home so my routine will get a 2 week shake up with different equipment + all the swimming we'll be doing (hard to keep DD out of the pool).
Old 03-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #549
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Capt. Carnivore
Stats: M / 5' 11" / 185 lbs.
WOE: VLC
Start Date: November 11, 2008
Hi everyone,

I browsed several of the pages and posts in this thread and I feel it necessary to join in. A lot of my questions have been answered but I'm sure I'll have more - not too mention the needed support you all offer.

I have reached a plateau in my weight loss and really am stumped on where to go from here. Over the past 15 months, I have been 100% cheat free eating VLC -I have also gone through various phases of exercise plans along the way with a 6 week break due to a shoulder injury. For most of the last 15 months, I would go 12 weeks (mostly low intensity) cardio and calisthenics - then take a week off - then 12 weeks of lifting... Rinse and repeat. As a result I have lost a total of 132 pounds and am a completely different person.

I have decided that weight lifting is the key to my success and my goals.

Today at the gym, in addition to a one hour stretching / floor exercise session, I started lifting again with a 30 min circuit training routine at half max capacity and hitting all major muscle groups. Basically, I am warming up my muscles for the remainder of the month and plan on hitting the iron hard and heavy starting in April with a 4 day split routine.

Okay... now with my diet. I'm just so confused. I understand the nutritional biochemistry behind the VLC Standard Ketogenic Diet and quiet frankly, the science behind it frightens me to try any type of carb load, CKD, TKD, etc... type plan. I've read about what you all suggest with "the good carbs" and how some of you even managed to overcome your skepticism or fears of giving it a go.

For now, I'm going to continue eating as I always have and give it at least 12 weeks from the beginning of April (when I start lifting heavy) before I can see the results and decide if I do, in fact, need to explore other options with my diet.

Ultimately, my goal is not a number on the scale. I couldn't care less what the scale reads... my goal is to burn the fat and build the lean mass. Size wise, a 32" waist is my final destination - whatever the scale says when I get there is fine with me.

SO... I will continue following this thread, post my updates, ask my questions and reach my successes with you guys

Beef fundamentalist

Started at 360 miserable lbs. in November 2008 - Lost 175 lbs. - Now maintaining a solid 185 lbs. for life!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #550
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh man. PT did a number on my ankle today. They decided it was time to increase the workouts.

Throbbing afterwards. And working late sucks. So the gym is skipped tonight and I will do weights at lunch tomorrow and yoga tomorrow night.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #551
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Greg, good luck sounds like an awsome plan to me (the novice ).
Old 03-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #552
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
Start Date: June 6, 2007
Ace!

I recently started doing refeed days after being VLC for a LONG time, and guess what?? My too tight jeans are loosening and FAR more comfortable than the last time I wore them. As Illene suggested, I got Lyle McDonald's book which explained the science behind doing refeeds. Yes, I found it scary. BUT, it's not a license to scarf down a pizza or half a bakery. It is adding in a few extra carbs for one day a week. So, I might eat oatmeal or a biscuit with my normal breakfast. Protein shake for lunch. Then a normal LC meal for dinner with a little bread or maybe a salad and a couple of slices of pizza. The next day right back on the VLC wagon. I'm also having protein oatmeal - 1 serving of old fashioned oats cooked with a scoop of whey powder at least one day per week about an hour before lifting weights.

As McDonald explains, it resets your leptin, ghrelin and insulin levels and kicks your metabolism into gear. You can google leptin and ghrelin for more info. So far, I'm not having trouble adding in these extras on a planned, structured basis. As long as my jeans keep getting looser...I'm gonna keep working this! Good luck!

Btw ~ my cousin called me "skinny" today. She's gained a lot lately and asks me what I'm doing only to throw up her hands and declare she "can't do" LC. One of these days, I'm hoping she'll come around.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:30 AM   #553
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace-of-Steak View Post

I have decided that weight lifting is the key to my success and my goals.

Today at the gym, in addition to a one hour stretching / floor exercise session, I started lifting again with a 30 min circuit training routine at half max capacity and hitting all major muscle groups. Basically, I am warming up my muscles for the remainder of the month and plan on hitting the iron hard and heavy starting in April with a 4 day split routine.

For now, I'm going to continue eating as I always have and give it at least 12 weeks from the beginning of April (when I start lifting heavy) before I can see the results and decide if I do, in fact, need to explore other options with my diet.

Ultimately, my goal is not a number on the scale. I couldn't care less what the scale reads... my goal is to burn the fat and build the lean mass. Size wise, a 32" waist is my final destination - whatever the scale says when I get there is fine with me.

SO... I will continue following this thread, post my updates, ask my questions and reach my successes with you guys
Congratulations on your success, Greg. That is some amazing and commendable progress.

I wish you the best as you begin weight training. It will make ALL the difference in the world in your body composition, your strength, your endurance, your overall health.

This is a great thread for support in that respect, and you'll likely get some very good guidance as you progress along, both with training AND with nutrition concerns.

The best to you.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:06 AM   #554
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: snooks86
Stats: 6 ft, Past 270/Present 230/Goal 175 lbs
WOE: Atkins Induction
I lift weights 4x a week and do cardio 5x a week:
-chest and back
-arms and shoulders
-legs & butt (2x a week)

I want to get my body fat measured, but I've been doing it myself by just pinching it on the side and it's getting less and less.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:01 AM   #555
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my gosh. At some point yesterday I hurt my mid back. I cant raise my arms over my head, I can turn my shoulders, bend twist... I have idea what happened.. DARN it! It feels like a muscle pull. I haven't done Upper body since Friday so I have no idea how I did this.

Cardio day! Lately I have been starving again! The scale said 139.8 yesterday which made me 2.2 pounds lighter since Thursday... May that water weight whoosh made my body freak and want food.
Today will be a Lower carb day to get some control. Amazing how that works!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #556
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Laura, Venuto explains it well.
Twyla, I know that you're going to think that I'm being a total PITA who does not appreciate the fact that you're trying to help me, but please know that nothing could be further from the truth. I appreciate it all very, very much. I'm just debating a couple of things with you in regards to the Venuto info you posted, okay, so please humor me the way you might a small child.

ITA agree that very low calorie dieting does all of the things that Venuto states. But what does he constitute as very low calorie? Everything I've ever heard about regarding the absolute lows in calories for women is 1200. I'm not arguing with you at all, just wondering if there is new info out there that is now setting that bar higher.

For me personally, I know that my 1200 calorie plan worked wonders in helping me lose 70 pounds pretty darn quickly back in 2003. I was only doing cardio back then, as I wasn't allowed to do strength training per the plan I was on (Metabolic Research). I know now why - because I was losing muscle along with the fat! It made for some wonderful losses on the scale, but left me a smaller version of my flabby self. It wasn't until I integrated strength training that I really started noticing a big change in my body. I only lost about 8 more pounds, but dropped down two more sizes! Clearly, strength training makes all the difference.

I can honestly say that I don't get hungry on my 1200 calorie plan, and don't have any problems getting through my workouts. I just wonder if maybe I have a slower metabolism then many, and just don't need as many calories?

With all that said, what I'm doing right now is clearly not working for me. It worked great back in 2003, but it's not 2003 anymore - it's 2010, and I'm not going to be an idiot and continue to do what's not working! So, in spite of the fact that I am scared to death, I am going to just dive right in here, up my calories a bit, try some refeeds, and get back to strength training!

I love the AWT (aerobic weight training) Firm workout model, and plan on incorporating 3 AWT workouts along with 3 steady-state cardio workouts per week. I'm not going to go heavy on the weights just yet, but start out light (3/5/8#) and work my way up. I'll probably do this until the beginning of May, then switch things up by doing a Cathe rotation - I've got her 4 Day Split set that I've never done and would like to try. Hopefully by then, I'll have lost some of this extra flab, and will be ready for some heavier weights.

Thank you so very much for your help. It is very much appreciated!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #557
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace-of-Steak View Post
Hi everyone,

Greg!

You seem to be in the same boat I'm in - what used to work for you just doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore. I think that strength training will make a huge difference for you, and think you're smart to start out lighter to get those muscles ready for some serious strength training.

As for your diet, you may need to mix it up. There are a lot of people that were on LC or VLC that stalled out and didn't see results until they started mixing things up. It makes sense that our bodies would get used to the LC/VLC, and adapt to that, and slow initial losses down to nothing.

But I think you're smart in changing only one thing at a time. continue to do your strength training the rest of this month and see if that makes a difference. If it does, great - you've figured out what you need to be doing. If it doesn't, then you know that refeeds may be what you need to shock your body out of its LC/VLC "coma".

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberryfan View Post
Ace!

I recently started doing refeed days after being VLC for a LONG time, and guess what?? My too tight jeans are loosening and FAR more comfortable than the last time I wore them. As Illene suggested, I got Lyle McDonald's book which explained the science behind doing refeeds. Yes, I found it scary. BUT, it's not a license to scarf down a pizza or half a bakery. It is adding in a few extra carbs for one day a week. So, I might eat oatmeal or a biscuit with my normal breakfast. Protein shake for lunch. Then a normal LC meal for dinner with a little bread or maybe a salad and a couple of slices of pizza. The next day right back on the VLC wagon. I'm also having protein oatmeal - 1 serving of old fashioned oats cooked with a scoop of whey powder at least one day per week about an hour before lifting weights.

As McDonald explains, it resets your leptin, ghrelin and insulin levels and kicks your metabolism into gear. You can google leptin and ghrelin for more info. So far, I'm not having trouble adding in these extras on a planned, structured basis. As long as my jeans keep getting looser...I'm gonna keep working this! Good luck!

Btw ~ my cousin called me "skinny" today. She's gained a lot lately and asks me what I'm doing only to throw up her hands and declare she "can't do" LC. One of these days, I'm hoping she'll come around.
That's awesome, Mayberry!

How often are you doing your refeeds, and do you match them up with strength training days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Oh my gosh. At some point yesterday I hurt my mid back. I cant raise my arms over my head, I can turn my shoulders, bend twist... I have idea what happened.. DARN it! It feels like a muscle pull. I haven't done Upper body since Friday so I have no idea how I did this.

Cardio day! Lately I have been starving again! The scale said 139.8 yesterday which made me 2.2 pounds lighter since Thursday... May that water weight whoosh made my body freak and want food.
Today will be a Lower carb day to get some control. Amazing how that works!
I'm sorry that you hurt your back, Jami. That's weird how that seemed to come out of nowhere. I hope it feels better soon.

on your scale victory! I read where you said that the lower numbers always seem to bump you right back up, but it looks like that didn't happen this time.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:24 AM   #558
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Siggie
Still nursing my ankle. UGH.

I think I am going to try the abducter and adducter machines. Maybe some floor exercises just lifting my legs. Don't know what else I can do for lower body exercises that won't aggravate my ankle. Any suggestions?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:42 AM   #559
Major LCF Poster!

Siggie, old school floorwork is great for when you can't do any weight-bearing lower body exercises. The stuff that I'm doing seems harder to me than doing the normal squats, lunges, etc with weights.

I have a couple of good workout DVDs that I use for my floorwork. They include leg lifts while lying on your side, clamshells, and corkscrews. You can also do a number of things on your hands and knees - straight legs lifts out to the side, to the rear, at a 45 degree angle, bent leg lifts at different angles, etc.

I'll be doing my floorwork DVD today, so I'll write all of the exercises down and post them here for you if you'd like.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #560
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post

I'm sorry that you hurt your back, Jami. That's weird how that seemed to come out of nowhere. I hope it feels better soon.

on your scale victory! I read where you said that the lower numbers always seem to bump you right back up, but it looks like that didn't happen this time.
IT DID bump me back up Darn it! LOL I weighed after I posted morning. Back up to 142.2! LOL This has happened so many times.. I just cant believe how predictable it is!
OH, well. I know it's not fat weight. This is just what my body likes to do..

It sounds like you are getting back into things pretty easily! You are coming up with some good plans. I think that is the most important. I see lots of women go to the gym and walk around, look at the equipment, maybe do a set... visit and then leave... LOL I think if you have a plan you'll work hard and see results!

Last edited by jamistar77; 03-09-2010 at 07:44 AM..
Old 03-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #561
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just got back from the gym. My back didn't influence my HIIT at all so Im very happy. In fact. I did my HIIT for 25 minutes followed by a 15 minute steady state jog.
40 minutes, 4.5 miles. Cardio.
Tomorrow is UPWO day. I think I'll swap my lifting pyramids and start with heavy short sets, 6,8,10,12, and go from heavy weights to light. I think this will help me increase my weights on sets. I have been trying to increase to 45 lb dumbbell flat bench presses, and by the time I get to my 4th set, my muscles are fatigued, and I can only do 2-3 reps... If it starts getting easy, increase weight right?
Any advice or suggestions?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #562
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggie View Post
Still nursing my ankle. UGH.

I think I am going to try the abducter and adducter machines. Maybe some floor exercises just lifting my legs. Don't know what else I can do for lower body exercises that won't aggravate my ankle. Any suggestions?
Are you bruised? Did you feel any pops? If not, you will probably be okay in a week or two.

Ice and elevate, 3 times per day for 10-20 minutes, do not ice any longer than 20 minutes. Also 800 mg ibuprofen and a light compression brace will help as well.

I had a grade 2-3 ankle sprain a month ago and it is still healing. I am on no impact for at least another 2 weeks. I do quad extensions, hamstring curls and the outer thigh machine. ( I am not allowed to use the inner thigh machine right now as I am told they are overdeveloped and part of the reason I am in this mess) and the glute machine. I am now allowed to do body weight squats again too.

Last edited by LouieLouie2007; 03-09-2010 at 08:08 AM..
Old 03-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #563
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieLouie2007 View Post

Ice and elevate, times per day for 10-20 minutes, do not ice any longer than 20 minutes. Also 800 mg ibuprofen and a light compression brace will help as well.
Thanks for mentioning this. I need to start Ibuprofen therapy as well. Im getting tendinitis in my elbows. Its starting to effect my UPWO days...
Is your ankle getting better? Those injures are such a nuisance.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #564
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning!

Weight down on the scale again and I got an awesome compliment from one of the ladies who I haven't seen in a while.

Will be doing lower body at the gym today:

Warm up: bike 10 minutes, level 6
Leg press: 3 sets, 12 reps (off from my normal weight due to needing to monitor the ankle)
Quad extension: 75 lbs, 12 reps, 90 lbs 8 reps, 120 lbs 5 reps
Hamstring curls 60 12 reps, 75, 10 reps, 90 lbs 5 reps
outer thigh machine: 80 lbs 12 reps 100 lbs 8 reps 120 5 reps
Glute machine: will be first time using it so I am unsure as to what the weights will be.

Tonight will be yoga: 1 hour

Still hammering out food so far, the plan is:

B: one large apple, 3TBSP peanut butter, one slice bacon
L: leftover machaca and bell peppers and onions, 1 Babybel cheese
D: chicken breasts w/butter and broccoli w/cheese

Have a great day!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #565
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Capt. Carnivore
Stats: M / 5' 11" / 185 lbs.
WOE: VLC
Start Date: November 11, 2008
Hi and thanks for the welcomes, kind words and support everyone!

Today is a rest day for me at the gym - so it's just another busy day of regular life fueled by good ol LC'n.

Hope you're all having a great day and reach your daily goals with ease!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #566
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
Start Date: June 6, 2007
Hey Laura!

I'm doing one refeed day per week. NOT going crazy at all, just adding in a little extra carb. Mostly good ones like oatmeal and sweet potatoes and trying to watch my fat intake on those days. Went to a family potluck Saturday night which was my free day this past week and was SHOCKED at how little I wanted to eat with all that tempting stuff in front of me. I ate enough..too much. BUT, it was NOTHING like I used to eat!

As for training days, yes I'm adding some protein oatmeal to my regimine about an hour before working out. I feel like it's helping me make progress. This is a new thing for me, along with combining my weight lifting and cardio on the same days. I'm getting about the same amount of time working out per week, but I have more rest days to play or do whatever. It's a new way of doing things, but so far, so good.

Hope that helps!

@Jami ~ hope your back feels better soon!

Will post later about today's upcoming workout!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #567
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #568
Senior LCF Member

Today is the first gym day for the week. It will be a 'short' day due to time but I'm thinking 20 minutes of cardio (more as a warm up) and then I'll do upper body.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm trying to stay mentally positive with regard to the progress that I want. I'm such a 'microwave' type person... I need to realize my arms aren't going to be tone and fat free over night... so I'm looking for perseverance!

The scale continues to slowly move in a downward direction (always a good thing!)

Y'all have a blessed day.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #569
Senior LCF Member

Jami, I can certainly see the change! Congrats on those wonderful improvements and thanks for pointing out that the scale isn't showing what the pictures are.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #570
Blabbermouth!!!

Jami, you can really see a difference in your waistline. Looking good!
Closed Thread