Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #481
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
YUM!

I like to make protein 'brownies' and smear pb (when i have it in that meal) on it. some brands are better than others for that.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #482
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
You're welcome.

Okay, I was just curious. You have crazy awesome definition. I gotta pick the brains of those that I want to emulate.

Keep up the great work.
ditto!! that website she mentions is great! Check it out!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:29 AM   #483

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/im...1v2MC0430.jpeg

OK, This girl is my height, 5'7" 121 pounds.... She has been working on her progress for a couple years now, her before pics look great to begin with. I dont know why my body resists going under 140 ...I'm not sure what else I need to do...
Here's what you HAVEN'T done. Staying power. Disciplined resilience. A change of focus.

All of your focus is on a number staring at your from a scale, a fluctuating machine that gives false impressions. If you need a REMINDER, a measure of your progress, you should either take your measurements, and/or, find a pair of pants or jeans that are too snug. Try them on daily. Clothes don't lie. What you see in the mirror wearing those clothes is the "black n white," it's what other people see.

The numbers will come together eventually, if you'll STAY WITH YOUR PROGRAM -- your training, your nutrition, your determination, your attitude, your resilience.

Winners never quit. They take their program ONE DAY AT A TIME.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:38 AM   #484

Quote:
OK, This girl is my height, 5'7" 121 pounds.... She has been working on her progress for a couple years now, her before pics look great to begin with. I dont know why my body resists going under 140. I'm not sure what else I need to do...
Here's what you HAVEN'T done. Staying power. Disciplined resilience. A change of focus.

All of your focus is on a number staring at your from a scale, a fluctuating machine that gives false impressions. If you need a REMINDER, a measure of your progress, you should either take your measurements, and/or, find a pair of pants or jeans that are too snug. Try them on daily. Clothes don't lie. What you see in the mirror wearing those clothes is the "black n white," it's what other people see.

The numbers will come together eventually, if you'll STAY WITH YOUR PROGRAM -- your training, your nutrition, your determination, your attitude, your resilience.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post

great post twyla!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #486
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Girls! I am staying with the program LOL . When I said "I'm not sure what else I need to do..." I meant in the terms of calories and all that. I'm not going to quit exercising, or my plan. Promise! I have sworn to this challenge and I don't give up.
Everyone now and then I have a "blow up" of frustration. Take it with a grain of salt... seriously. LOL

Yesterday was a great day at the gym. LBWO! I love that workout! Although I feel like I do okay.. I think I am going to borrow one of our Free Trainers that we have. I know I can do better I just need some guidance.

Yesterday I increased my Carbs to 200 total and reached close to Maintenance level cals, I figured it would be a great day to do this since I worked out such a large muscle group. Today is low/moderate carbs, 80 total and 1300 cals..
Old 03-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #487
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Is there a chart somewhere that helps understand body fat percentages for women? Jami has in her sidebar that she'd like 13% body fat. I don't understand a lot about those percentages.

I would think that low a number was for the very serious (not to say you aren't, Jami!) type who is in the muscle/fitness magazines. What about the 50 year old something who wants to look better, feel stronger and maybe show a little tone?

Suggested reading? Anything? Thanks!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #488
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Karla, I think that a healthy BF% range for a woman is 18-22%, from the things I have seen and read in magazines.
My goal is to LOOK like the women in the muscle/fitness magazines!! This is something that I would love to do someday..
Old 03-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #489
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 6, 2007
Jami,

I think you look great now. Twyla is right-on. Don't define yourself by a number on the scale. What's right for one person's body isn't right for anothers. Ask yourself this - what if the goal you seek isn't healthy for you?

By all measurements I've ever seen, I have a large frame. I'm NEVER going to be size 4. I honestly think the most I could hope for would be a size 8. I was a 10 in high school and maybe 10 lbs overweight. For me to have a goal for myself of being a size 4 would be unhealthy and most likely, impossible! So my goal is to be healthier, and lose the excess fat. Not a certain number on the scale or a certain size. But, that's just me!

Btw - feeling great today after my hard workout yesterday!! But, I have a question for the fitness experts here: I understand that it's a good idea to lift until failure. However, at the beginning of my w/o, say I'm doing two different lower body exercises like squats and dead lifts - if I work to failure on the first...how do I do the 2nd? Is it okay to rest for a few minutes in between until you feel capable of continuing? TIA!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #490

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/143.4/135
WOE: OKL
Start Date: October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeGA View Post
Is there a chart somewhere that helps understand body fat percentages for women? Jami has in her sidebar that she'd like 13% body fat. I don't understand a lot about those percentages.

I would think that low a number was for the very serious (not to say you aren't, Jami!) type who is in the muscle/fitness magazines. What about the 50 year old something who wants to look better, feel stronger and maybe show a little tone?

Suggested reading? Anything? Thanks!
Here's the numbers my consultant gave me:
32%+ overfat/obese
28-32 average American woman
23-27 desirable, healthy
18-22 lean
under 18, very lean
15-16 fitness model
13-14 female body builder
12 essential fat
Old 03-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #491
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Celeste. I have always lifted to failure. It seems easier to me to do it with my upper body. I usually wait 2 minutes in between sets and then Im ready for another
Great job by the way with your dedication and motivation to working out! Your attitude is contagious!
Thank you for your post in regards to my freak out rant, LOL I have a medium frame and I think that the goal weight I picked would be good for a skinny fat person, like I was when I used to weigh that. I keep getting that old mind set back, and I have to find a way to not let that haunt me...
I'm doing better though, mentally.. if you can believe it! LOL It's just a slow steady journey.

I have been curious about hydrostatic underwater weighing.. I heard that it is a great way to determine body composition. I called MWSU here in town to inquire if they offered that. A professor from the Physical Education department called me back and his class is actually looking for people to participate in their class to be the guinea pig for the hydrostatic weighing! LOL Its free! Usually they cost about $40 a pop. This is exciting! I have always wanted to have this done. Now I can get an accurate reading, and know where I stand. Then when I am done with BFL challenge I could get it done again.
yeah....
Old 03-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #492

That's exciting, Jaeme! If I lived close, I would go with you. Not that the number matters (I know, I know) but it would be cool to do it. Do you have an appointment already?

My goal is to be lean. Maybe very lean at some point in the future. I know the numbers don't really matter...they are just one way to gauge progress. One of the best signs of progress that I've had is that my muffin top is gone. I love it that I can wear jeans with a t-shirt now!!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #493

you should NOT be consistently lifting to failure! Unless you are doing as specific test of a 1r max.. ALWAYS leave a rep or two in the hole.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #494

jami you are placing Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much importance on body fat!!! It really isnt important or realistic to judge yourself by it.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #495
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lancer1977
Stats: 297/More healthy/Very healthy
WOE: Atkins 72ish
Start Date: 9/23/2011
So it wouldnt be pertinent to ask what a reliable at home method of measuring this is I take it? Was JUST about to ask lol. My scale is really being mean to me on the LBs and the % numbers these past 2 weeks.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #496

use a tape measure, clothes and the mirror.

does it REALLY matter what your bf is?
Old 03-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #497
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lancer1977
Stats: 297/More healthy/Very healthy
WOE: Atkins 72ish
Start Date: 9/23/2011
Normally I like the LBs. Since those have been going up and not down Ifigured maybe the BF% would be nicer. It fluctuates wildly on my scale... so since they are horribly unreliable it seems no. I haven't had any downward inch movement either. My chest went up 2 inches. Theoretically a good thing?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #498
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stackdiesel
Stats: 238/196/Unknown
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
you should NOT be consistently lifting to failure! Unless you are doing as specific test of a 1r max.. ALWAYS leave a rep or two in the hole.
Right on the mark, as usual. As Louie Simmons, owner of one of the strongest gyms in the world and a revolutionary in U.S. strength training theory, famously stated: "Training to failure is training to fail."
Old 03-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #499
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the input! Trying to learn as much as I can. I think I used to use my ignorance of properly working out as an excuse not to. I'd think - why put all that effort into something I'm not sure is going to help anyway?

I know...crazy! Anyway, I'm dedicated, determined and driven now to keep going and learn as I go along.

So far, so good!

P.S. I usually lift until I think 'I reaaaaaaaaaaallly want to put this down now' and it seems to be working.

Last edited by Mayberryfan; 03-04-2010 at 03:18 PM..
Old 03-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #500
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stackdiesel
Stats: 238/196/Unknown
WOE: Low Carb
The problem, however, is that many people confuse Not Training To Failure with Not Training Hard And Smart and/or Not Implementing Consistent Progression Over Time, continue to do 3 sets of 10 reps at the same weight for years on end, and wonder why they make no progress in appearance or strength.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackdiesel View Post
The problem, however, is that many people confuse Not Training To Failure with Not Training Hard And Smart and/or Not Implementing Consistent Progression Over Time, continue to do 3 sets of 10 reps at the same weight for years on end, and wonder why they make no progress in appearance or strength.
and they are clueless that there are some many ways to 'move' the weight implements different rep ranges and tempos..

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting change..
Old 03-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #502

Quote:
Thanks Girls! I am staying with the program LOL . When I said "I'm not sure what else I need to do..." I meant in the terms of calories and all that. I'm not going to quit exercising, or my plan. Promise! I have sworn to this challenge and I don't give up.
Everyone now and then I have a "blow up" of frustration. Take it with a grain of salt... seriously. LOL
Jamie, just "for the record," I did not intend to post my comments TWICE ... not sure how that ended up a double post. Sorry about that.

So anyway........ you were saying....?

Oh, yes. "I don't give up."
Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #503

I am having after pictures taken on March 17! I am going to start looking for a bikini. I have been peeking at some of my before pictures, and I can't wait to see the afters.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #504
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Rachel, thank you for the numbers. I asked because I thought body fat percentage was a better indicator of progress than the scale. I have been low on the scale before but with not an ounce of muscle (or at least it felt that way!) and since I'm wanting to reduce body fat but build muscle I was hoping to see a shift there.

I've been told I was 30 percent fat (HOW depressing is that?!?!?!) and my first goal is to get to 25%. I'd like to get a BodPod reading vs. a scale or hand held device, but it seems the closest place for me is a 4 hour drive???? Well, not really there are places in Atlanta but they only do it on Saturdays (as far as I can find out) and I work weekends and can't take time off for that.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeGA View Post
Rachel, thank you for the numbers. I asked because I thought body fat percentage was a better indicator of progress than the scale. I have been low on the scale before but with not an ounce of muscle (or at least it felt that way!) and since I'm wanting to reduce body fat but build muscle I was hoping to see a shift there.

I've been told I was 30 percent fat (HOW depressing is that?!?!?!) and my first goal is to get to 25%. I'd like to get a BodPod reading vs. a scale or hand held device, but it seems the closest place for me is a 4 hour drive???? Well, not really there are places in Atlanta but they only do it on Saturdays (as far as I can find out) and I work weekends and can't take time off for that.
You are welcome. That's a wonderful goal. I started at almost 35% body fat. I'm one of those women who was wearing a small size (a size 6) but was technically considered "obese." I averaged about 5% body fat lost every two months, so if you work hard, be consistent, and eat well, you will be there before you know it.

I know there's been quite a bit of discussion about body fat % and does it matter? It's the criteria that my consultant started me with, so I have used it to measure my progress over the last few months. I agree that a tape measure is another good "measuring device" as are a pair of jeans. As you get leaner, you will start to notice your jeans getting looser. I've already lost two sizes in jeans, plus my muffin top is gone.

I hope you'll keep posting here with us!

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 03-04-2010 at 09:03 PM..
Old 03-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #506
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer1977 View Post
Normally I like the LBs. Since those have been going up and not down Ifigured maybe the BF% would be nicer. It fluctuates wildly on my scale... so since they are horribly unreliable it seems no. I haven't had any downward inch movement either. My chest went up 2 inches. Theoretically a good thing?
I've been told that the bf% as measured on a body comp scale will change depending how hydrated you are as it works on water or something . I have a new body comp scale and every time I get on it the BF% changes. It's been as low as 19.4% and as high as the 30s. It seems that the best time to weight (1st thing after a BM) is the worst time to do your BF% as you are dehydrated.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #507
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackdiesel View Post
I hear what you're saying. But, that's not what I've been doing. I've moved up in weights several times and dropped my reps until I could easily do that number, then upped reps, etc. I've followed Venuto's protocol fairly well. But, I'm confused about the lack of progress, and even regression I've had lately and I think it's probably two things.

1- staying VLC for so long (20-25g max per day for almost 3 yrs)

2- working out hard every day with maybe one rest day per week and I am usually pretty active on that day anyway with household chores and such.

Now that I've had a few refeed days and I'm doing a good carb refeed meal before lifting (protein oatmeal) my too tight jeans are loosening. It's just a bit, but it's there. So, I hope I'm on the right track. Just know that I always appreciate the advice, tips, and pointers!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #508
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberryfan View Post
I hear what you're saying. But, that's not what I've been doing. I've moved up in weights several times and dropped my reps until I could easily do that number, then upped reps, etc. I've followed Venuto's protocol fairly well. But, I'm confused about the lack of progress, and even regression I've had lately and I think it's probably two things.

1- staying VLC for so long (20-25g max per day for almost 3 yrs)

2- working out hard every day with maybe one rest day per week and I am usually pretty active on that day anyway with household chores and such.

Now that I've had a few refeed days and I'm doing a good carb refeed meal before lifting (protein oatmeal) my too tight jeans are loosening. It's just a bit, but it's there. So, I hope I'm on the right track. Just know that I always appreciate the advice, tips, and pointers!!!
I would say #2 is definitely a possible factor. I personally couldn't imagine myself progressing if I was only having one rest day per week at the intensity that I workout.

I'm glad that the refeed meal seems to be helping you somewhat.

It looks like others on here have already given you some great advice. Keep on truckin'.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:35 AM   #509

Quote:
and they are clueless that there are some many ways to 'move' the weight implements different rep ranges and tempos..

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting change..
Agreed.

Adjusting form to recruit different/more muscle fibers, lifting at different angles, less rest time between sets, more rest time b/sets, incorporating circuit now and then, more rest overall.... the list goes on and on in how one can 'SWITCH IT UP' for noticeable progress.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #510
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
That's exciting, Jaeme! If I lived close, I would go with you. Not that the number matters (I know, I know) but it would be cool to do it. Do you have an appointment already?

My goal is to be lean. Maybe very lean at some point in the future. I know the numbers don't really matter...they are just one way to gauge progress. One of the best signs of progress that I've had is that my muffin top is gone. I love it that I can wear jeans with a t-shirt now!!
I dont have an appointment yet. I am waiting for a student to call me to schedule a time. I think it will be fun! It will give me an accurate reading at least, then when I'm done with the 12 week goal, I can check again. That would be fun if you went with me My goal is to wear a bikini and to walk "normal" with out carefully stepping to avoid all the jiggle! LOL I dont care if my butt does, but I dont want my thighs to wobble. LOL Hurray for no muffin top!! Good job!
Quote:
jami you are placing Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much importance on body fat!!! It really isnt important or realistic to judge yourself by it.
I know I know. I just want an accurate starting point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Jamie, just "for the record," I did not intend to post my comments TWICE ... not sure how that ended up a double post. Sorry about that.

So anyway........ you were saying....?

Oh, yes. "I don't give up."
I just thought you were trying to get your point accross. LOL It's done that to me before too... I'm not sure why it does that.

Lancer You have really lost some inches! Good job!

SO, today Im back to work. Not to busy. I am planning on doing UPWO tonight when I get off.
I was thinking about changing my workouts a little. I do the BFL workout guide now, 4 reps 12,10,8,6... light weight to heavy weight. I am thinking about flipping this and starting with 6,8,10,12 heavy to light. Any in-site on this?? Does it matter?? I'd like to increase my weights, and its hard when I get to that last set.
Closed Thread