Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #451
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 6, 2007
you guys! You're so positive and uplifting. I really appreciate that!

I'm trying something new and adjusting my workout schedule. When I first started lifting, I would feel exhausted after working out, but it seems like I bounced back quickly and made progress more quickly. But, after working out hard (too hard?) for the better part of a year, I'm not seeing my weight drop like it did, and I just have a general feeling that I need more rest.

So, I'm going to do the same basic workout schedule, but as I did yesterday, it's going to be done together. Weights, then cardio 3 days per week. The other days I'll rest or do something fun like hiking, playing with my dog, etc.

I've just started doing the refeed days and I'm also going to do one more carby meal on my workout days a short time before working out. Something like the old-fashioned oatmeal w/ whey mixed in. It's really good with cinnamon and even a few blueberries. Looks weird, but it's yummy.

I'm wondering if I've just stayed SO low carb, 20-30g per day consistently for almost 3 years now if the muscle I've gained needs a little more carb boost???

One really good thing...I'm now able to handle the extra carbs without going overboard and falling off the wagon. I can feel REAL progress in how my body handles good carbs. But, I still fear them a bit, mentally!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #452
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 8
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Celeste, I think your new plan is very well thought out. You may find that your workouts will be more effective by eating quality carbs before you work out. I like the idea that you're adding lots of "play" to your weeks. I'll be doing that, too, in maintenance.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #453

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Even in competion, no one is judged on a number.. it's by how ones body looks.

i wouldnt even put a number on a bf% .. most are completely unreliable in telling true bf. The BEST estimation is the reflection you see in the mirror.

Your doing awesome, keep it up!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #454
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberryfan View Post
you guys! You're so positive and uplifting. I really appreciate that!

I'm trying something new and adjusting my workout schedule. When I first started lifting, I would feel exhausted after working out, but it seems like I bounced back quickly and made progress more quickly. But, after working out hard (too hard?) for the better part of a year, I'm not seeing my weight drop like it did, and I just have a general feeling that I need more rest.

So, I'm going to do the same basic workout schedule, but as I did yesterday, it's going to be done together. Weights, then cardio 3 days per week. The other days I'll rest or do something fun like hiking, playing with my dog, etc.

I've just started doing the refeed days and I'm also going to do one more carby meal on my workout days a short time before working out. Something like the old-fashioned oatmeal w/ whey mixed in. It's really good with cinnamon and even a few blueberries. Looks weird, but it's yummy.

I'm wondering if I've just stayed SO low carb, 20-30g per day consistently for almost 3 years now if the muscle I've gained needs a little more carb boost???

One really good thing...I'm now able to handle the extra carbs without going overboard and falling off the wagon. I can feel REAL progress in how my body handles good carbs. But, I still fear them a bit, mentally!
Celeste~ I love protein oatmeal! It is so good! This morning I had protein Oatmeal with chocolate whey, and a TBLS of chopped pecans. It was delsih! I have really noticed that once I added in those carbs around my workout time my muscles REALLY started to get strong. With in 2 weeks of that my jeans started getting much looser. It was great. I think that adding in 1/2 cup cooked Protein oatmeal before and after your workout you will be very happy with the results! I know I was!! My tummy did get a little grumbly and bloated at first but it only took a couple days to get used to it. I did gain a little water weight, but thats all it is. I dont care if I weight 200 pounds as long as I look lean and lose fat..
Old 03-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #455
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Look how much this thread has grown! I'm so happy I stumbled in here! There is so much support and guidance. I have learned a lot about how to feed my body the RIGHT way. I always thought I knew how to eat "healthy". Now I know how to eat smart...
LOL Does that make sense?
Old 03-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #456

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
Even in competion, no one is judged on a number.. it's by how ones body looks.

i wouldnt even put a number on a bf% .. most are completely unreliable in telling true bf. The BEST estimation is the reflection you see in the mirror.

Your doing awesome, keep it up!
This is so true. I am focused on 19-20 because I have seen other women in that range and would like to have that level of body fat. And I have never been lean before, so I don't have an idea of what it will look like. That's why I kind of use that as a goal. Also, it helps me to adjust my workouts and see my progress when I know that I have gained muscle versus gained fat.

Ultimately, it will be the what I see when I look in the mirror that determines where I want to maintain. Very good reminder!
Old 03-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
I dont care if I weight 200 pounds as long as I look lean and lose fat..
Me TOO!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #458
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
mornin' everyone

So I didn't do any exercise yesterday (Tuesday), even piked out of bellydance class! But I got up this morning and did an UB weights workout + cardio & yoga/streches. I put on the new weight plates and upped my weights, actually upped them each set for chest & tris (bicep/shoulders not ready to go up any time soon).

So next workout I will stick with the ~26lbs I ended up with for chest & tris as I could just manage 6 reps of these on my 3rd set . Gonna try out the barbells for my LB workout tomorrow. Thinking this will be better to add weights to as I don't have to hold onto really heavy dumbbells. The only problem might be fitting enough weight plates onto the barbells to increase my LW weights much as these plates are quite thick and there seems to only be enough room on the barbells for probably 2 plates which would be 20pounds which is less than I'm currently lifting . Will have a play this afternoon.

Planning to do a cardio session this afternoon to make up some for doing nothing yesterday as I also ate WAY too much (carbs & calories) yesterday. Actually ate until I was stuffed, which I haven't done in a very long time and I'm feeling sick today (tummy ache, nauseous, gas, etc. ).

Couldn't stomach breakfast this morning, but am looking forward to my lunch today. For a change I don't have salad. I have 1 extra large piece of almond meal/flax bread, ham, cheese & tomato for an open sandwich plus fresh blueberries & strawberries with double cream.

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
Old 03-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #459
Major LCF Poster!

I gotta say if I looked like some of the people on this thread, I don't think I'd have the motivation to workout so hard.

There are some IMPRESSIVE ladies here!

Ya'll already know I think the men here are hot. They just don't show up enough!!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #460
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
LOL Celeste, I understand where you are coming from too. Although I'm not looking for a fitness model physic myself and am pretty happy mostly with things the way they are (tummy not withstanding).
Old 03-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #461
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Protein Oatmeal? Do I understand properly... I use good old fashion oatmeal (not quick cook or instant) and I can add my protein powder to it?

I guess this is a 'duh' question... but all I've ever used protein powder for was cold items. It's OK hot or warmed?

Fat(g) Carbs(g) Prot(g) KCals
66.36 118.33 89.80 1397

And above is what I ate today. Still working out the whole diet thing put felt good before/during/after my workout.

Thanks,

Last edited by NeGA; 03-02-2010 at 08:32 PM..
Old 03-03-2010, 05:18 AM   #462
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeGA View Post
Protein Oatmeal? Do I understand properly... I use good old fashion oatmeal (not quick cook or instant) and I can add my protein powder to it?

I guess this is a 'duh' question... but all I've ever used protein powder for was cold items. It's OK hot or warmed?
Yes!! I used Quaker old fashion oats, 1/2 cup prepared with a scoop of Chocolate protein powder and a little bit of unsweetened soy milk or almond breeze. This morining for my pre workout I mixed in 2 tbls dried cranberries, 1T chopped pecan with it. It was great!! Im doing a lower body workout in a little bit so I need some energy. Yup, hot or cold. There are lots of baked recipes that call for protein powder.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:27 AM   #463
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone!! Celeste you are right! These women around here look great! Some of them are at where I want to be! I think that if I looked like a fitness model right now I would be so excited!! The determination would be 150% at that point because I wouldn't want to lose it. With the amount of lifting I have been doing I was expecting to see more results. I know it takes women more time to gain muscle, but I still want it now!

This morning I finally weighed in and it was at 142.0. Not bad considering that I came off Atkins WOE in one day.. LOL I know I said that the scale number doesn't bother me, but I was expecting to see at least 140. In fact I was assuming it was going to say 139 point something, since the day before I started body for life I was at 140.0. I am smaller than what I was 3 weeks ago which is great. In fact the inches were melting off once I changed my WOE, now I've been at a stand still for the last week or two. I'll give it some more time before I consider changing anything..
Old 03-03-2010, 05:31 AM   #464
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oz, Way to go girl on increasing your weights!! Im in the process of doing that with my upper body as well. My lower body has been able to handle more weight, but my dang tris and biceps are the same way! They just aren't ready yet...
Speaking of tummy issues, the things that you mentioned... ME TOO!!! I'm trying to figure out how to combat this... Beano, gasX, embarrassed..... LOL
Old 03-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #465
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeGA View Post

Fat(g) Carbs(g) Prot(g) KCals
66.36 118.33 89.80 1397

And above is what I ate today. Still working out the whole diet thing put felt good before/during/after my workout.

Thanks,
I'd just add one thing to what Jami said. Make sure to mix your whey powder into the liquid well before heating or you will get a lumpy mess! What I do is measure the amount of water for one serving of old-fashioned oats, then stir in one scoop of whey and whisk it to dissolve. Then I stir in my raw oats and add butter, cinnamon and maybe a pk of splenda, then microwave for about 3or 4 minutes. I don't like my oatmeal cooked as much as the package calls for. I like it to have some texture. Play around with some ingredients you like and see what you can come up with. It REALLY sticks with you and fills you up. This dish does not leave me feeling hungry again in a couple of hours!!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #466
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
I saw people mentioning eating oatmeal... I don't eat oatmeal, but I have in the past.

Something I kinda liked was to take raw oats, nuts, dried berries - whatever, and throw it in a baggie and eat it like a trailmix. Raw oatmeal is actually pretty decent (in my opinion). I'm guessing it will be lower glycemic index that way too.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #467
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I always cook my oatmeal first, then I add the protein powder and 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or soy milk, then it mixes well. I tried to mix the powder oats and water all together, then cook it and I didn't like the texture as well. Oatmeal is so versatile. I love it.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #468
Major LCF Poster!

Maybe it's the kind of whey I use. I sometimes make hot coffee protein shakes and tried mixing the powder straight into the hot coffee and made a gross mess!! So, I will put a little coffee and half & half into the blender, whirl it a bit to cool, then blend in the whey. Pour it into a cup and then add the rest of the hot coffee. Yummy that way!!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #469

I have good news...I am only 4 pounds away from my (original) goal. I met with my consultant this morning, and even though it's TOM, I lost almost 5 pounds on the scale this week. Seriously, when I stepped on my home scale, I thought it said 139.3. Then I put my glasses on and it said 134.3.

Two sessions left means I need to lose 2 pounds a week. I can do it. I'm happy to get back to the gym, with interval training this week. And I will keep the same diet as last week because it served me really well.

I will be back later. I have another meeting in fifty minutes, and I need to eat before it starts.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #470
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good job Rachel! WOW!!

I would love to lose some poundage!! I am really starting to doubt that I can. I want to maintain my LBW, and lose about 5 pounds of fat.
With my efforts of clean eating and exercise you would think that something has to give eventually! There is so much more I want to say about this,.... but I wont.

Last edited by jamistar77; 03-03-2010 at 12:00 PM..
Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #471
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/im...1v2MC0430.jpeg

OK, This girl is my height, 5'7" 121 pounds.... She has been working on her progress for a couple years now, her before pics look great to begin with. I dont know why my body resists going under 140. I'm not sure what else I need to do...
Old 03-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #472
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shoo
Stats: 239/170/170
Start Date: June 2004
Just back from the gym,had a protein shake and a shower
THis was day 2 for me and spent 45 minutes in the gym,weights and HIIT.
How much time is everyone spending working out?
Old 03-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #473
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoo View Post
I spend about 45 minutes to an hour, 3 to 4 days a week.

I usually rest about 30 to 60 seconds between sets. Sometimes up to 90 seconds if a set kicked my butt.

I'm not saying what I do is ideal, but it is working for me.

Last edited by yorick; 03-03-2010 at 02:27 PM..
Old 03-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #474
Major LCF Poster!

Question for Ileen/Inatic

Ileen,

I just looked at your progress photos. All I can say is Amazing!

Do you have a link to any of your posts where you summarize what your workouts are? Reps, weights, specific exercises?
Old 03-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #475
Major LCF Poster!

Awesome, Rachel!!! KUTGW!

Had a fabulous w/o today. Eating protein oatmeal about 1/2 hour before really seemed to help. Tomorrow, rest or play.

Did 6-7 minutes of the Crunch Fat-Burning Pilates to warm-up
20 squats @ 62 lbs
50 birddogs
20 deadlifts @ 62 lbs
30 rows @ 20 lbs
30 bench press @ 40 lbs. (still having trouble getting back to the 62 lbs )
15 plank @ 10 counts each
25 toe raises @ 40 lbs
10 curls @ 30 lbs

Finished the dvd which was about 22 cardio and 15 minutes mat work after lifting!

In total my workout time was about 1:15. Can't wait to see how my new routine feels tomorrow. Right now, after a protein shake, I feel awesome!
Old 03-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
Ileen,

I just looked at your progress photos. All I can say is Amazing!

Do you have a link to any of your posts where you summarize what your workouts are? Reps, weights, specific exercises?
Awww.. thank you!

I dont have any summaries and im limited in what i can share. You can contact my coach though if your interested..Or view his info at leanbodies consulting.

My program changes out every 4-6weeks and is always goal dependant.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #477
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
Awww.. thank you!

I dont have any summaries and im limited in what i can share. You can contact my coach though if your interested..Or view his info at leanbodies consulting.

My program changes out every 4-6weeks and is always goal dependant.

You're welcome.

Okay, I was just curious. You have crazy awesome definition. I gotta pick the brains of those that I want to emulate.

Keep up the great work.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #478

i'll be glad to help if you have some specific questions.. i can try to answer them..

My program wont help you much because it was customized for me and my needs.

There are some really good reads on my coaches blog that might give you some ideas..
Old 03-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #479

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoo View Post
depends for me..goal dependant.

during a bulk might go over an hr training 5 days a week

during a cut, 4 days a week and up to one hr.. some cardio here in and there or some metobolic circuits instead of cardio.

jami the last pounds are the hardest to loose. The more fat you have to shed the easier it is to lose.

Congrats Rachel!!

Mayberry.. if you're coffee was hot, it cooked it.. it needs to be on the cooler side to work. I find some brands work better than others.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #480
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Mayberry.. if you're coffee was hot, it cooked it.. it needs to be on the cooler side to work. I find some brands work better than others.
I know!! NEVER made that mistake again. Anyway, as someone mentioned earlier, there are many recipes that use whey in place of flour and it gets cooked, but it doesn't seem to degrade it in any way. I sometime make cinnamon-swirl muffins with whey and they are SOOOOOO delicious they're DANGEROUS. Tempting enough to eat the whole batch which would be baaaad. May have to make a small batch soon, or make and freeze them so I limit my intake to a resonable amount.
Closed Thread