Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
Boy I'm feeling those increased UB weights from yesterday! Struggled with LB weights this morning partly due to tiredness and I think partly muscle fatigue to hold the dumbbells.

I've found 2nd hand barbells & weights that I'll be picking up on Saturday. So I can keep upping my weights and probably use the barbells for some of my LB weights work instead of dumbbells.

Jami, I've only ever done max of 15 HIIT intervals (apparently that's the magic number). So my HIIT sessions have consisted of 5min warm up, upto 15 intervals (30sec flat out, 30sec recovery, increased recently to 60/30 although I'm not up to 15 of these yet). I can finish there, but usually I do 20min steady state cardio then yoga/streching afterwards. The whole idea of HIIT is you get better fitness & weight-loss results in far less time than steady state cardio.

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #392
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozdancer View Post

Jami, I've only ever done max of 15 HIIT intervals (apparently that's the magic number). So my HIIT sessions have consisted of 5min warm up, upto 15 intervals (30sec flat out, 30sec recovery, increased recently to 60/30 although I'm not up to 15 of these yet). I can finish there, but usually I do 20min steady state cardio then yoga/streching afterwards. The whole idea of HIIT is you get better fitness & weight-loss results in far less time than steady state cardio.
It sure is great!! I have been thinking of doing Turbo Jam on my non-HIIT days. I always get great abs and a nice tushy when I do turbo jam LOL
Old 02-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #393
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
I've hit a plateau. My trainer wants me to take a rest week from the gym.

My diet this week will include no caffeine, no wheat, no dairy. I will be eating lean protein, nuts, fruits, and vegetables. The no caffeine will be hard, but I'm good on the rest of it.

I was upset about no workouts this week, but I realize that my body needs a break...and the next week, I get to train really hard, which I love.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #394
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 6, 2007
I'm taking a light week, too, Rachel. I haven't worked out the past two days!

It's been a while since I skipped two days in a row!

Anyway, I did the Crunch cardio Pilates DVD today. Tomorrow I'm teaching all day and then am going to try to make it to a funeral, so I won't have a chance to workout.

Friday and Saturday?? Who knows? Got a hot date Saturday so I may need to work out to calm my nerves!
Old 02-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #395
Major LCF Poster!

must be the week for it!

Although I can't say I've reduced my workout load just changed it up. I've increased my UB weights and changed to a 4 day Upper/Lower body split. So today (Thursday) I'm taking a DOR, although I have dance class tonight so will still get some cardio in today. Will do UB tomorrow & LB Saturday with another DOR on Sunday (with dance training in the afternoon).

Next week I'll do the splits Mon/Tues & Thur/Fri instead which will be the routine for the moment. Still planning on doing something Wed & Sat, maybe HIIT, maybe Pilates/Yoga DVD, maybe bellydance training depending how I feel. I'm picking up 2nd hand weights & barbell on Saturday so have the opporutnity to do some different exercises with the barbell and increase my LB weights as well .
Old 02-25-2010, 05:42 AM   #396
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
I learn something new everyday. I posted a little about this in another thread, but Stack posted something about "Greasing the groove" for working out. I did a quick Google search and learned quite a bit.

I'm going to start adding multiple one rep pullups between exercises, and during the day at home and work, to try to increase my maximum reps for pullups. I've been struggling to keep my back strength in check with the rest of my body, and this seems to be a good tool to use to possibly meet my goals.

Also, hopefully somebody can learn from my mistakes... I caught myself holding my breath a couple of times recently while doing my standing military presses. I am going to lower my weights on this exercise and re-focus on technique so I don't build that problem into a dangerous habit.

I noticed some people are going to take it lighter or have a rest week. Sometimes it is difficult mentally to do that, but the payoffs can be big. I had an unplanned rest week recently after being sick, and I did notice some huge improvements in my gym performance after the time off. It's good to listen to our bodies, or if needed, to listen to the trainer, and take some time off once in awhile.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:57 AM   #397
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oz, I was trying to increase my weights for my deadlifts and squats yesterday. I received my wrist hook straps, which I dont like, and I was using them yesterday. I think my back got most of the work out. I still had to hold the weight up with my fingers so they wouldn't slip out, I focused on that instead of form. I have to figure something out... anyways,
Today is HIIT! I love HIIT I might do a dvd ab workout later today as well.
Have a great day!
Lets get those plateaus broken!!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:04 AM   #398

Good morning all!

Second day of my rest week! People don't exactly get it when I tell them. They think I'm cheating or something...probably because I've been so driven in my first fifteen weeks. Oh well, people think I'm weird for not eating treats at the office every day, too. ROFL

My new meal plan for the week is easy except for the no caffeine...that's the one that is going to be a bit tough..

Mark, I agree with you. I think I'm going to go back an be ready to hit it hard again.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #399
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenn_in_NJ
Stats: 267/142/135
WOE: JUDDD/IF
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Oz, I was trying to increase my weights for my deadlifts and squats yesterday. I received my wrist hook straps, which I dont like, and I was using them yesterday. I think my back got most of the work out. I still had to hold the weight up with my fingers so they wouldn't slip out, I focused on that instead of form. I have to figure something out... anyways,
Today is HIIT! I love HIIT I might do a dvd ab workout later today as well.
Have a great day!
Lets get those plateaus broken!!
What weight are you using now for the deadlift? How are you holding weight with your fingers?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenn_in_NJ
Stats: 267/142/135
WOE: JUDDD/IF
Start Date: 2001
If you are doing conventional deadlifts from the floor and you aren't using the 45's on the bar you probably need to get the bar off the floor so that the bar is closer to shin height. You can use the risers from the aerobic steppers to lift it up.

If you don't like the hooks try a reverse grip. one hand goes over, other hand goes under so on one side the bar rests in your palm and you see your fingers and the other hand is back of the hand up.

Also, when you set your grip take your thumb and press against your middle finger hard. You might have a tendency to point that thumb out, don't. Press it against that middle finger and that will help you hold onto the bar
Old 02-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #401
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Siggie
Completed 3/90 yesterday in exercise.

I actually started with the eating plan on Sunday and with the exercise program on Monday. So I am using monday as my day 1 so as not to confuse myself.

Day 4/90 with Power 90- HIIT day. Doing tape P90 tape. Taking a Kick boxing class for hour at 10:30. Working out at the gym for another hour later in the evening.

Jami- I have the turbo jam tapes somewhere. I need to find them. UGH. I don't want to have to re order them.

Talked to my trainer about my 90 day goals. He is amazing. He knows that I am doing low carb is okay with that. He is also okay with working in conjunction with my P90 and other beachbody tapes. He thinks that beachbody products are great and has used them in the past.

In the last couple of months I have not lost much weight but have continued to lose inches. I am hoping this routine will increase the inch loss and increase the weight loss and make me extra toned.

I can do and will do this. I am really motivated and this board helps me keep focused.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #402
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn_in_NJ View Post
If you are doing conventional deadlifts from the floor and you aren't using the 45's on the bar you probably need to get the bar off the floor so that the bar is closer to shin height. You can use the risers from the aerobic steppers to lift it up.

If you don't like the hooks try a reverse grip. one hand goes over, other hand goes under so on one side the bar rests in your palm and you see your fingers and the other hand is back of the hand up.

Also, when you set your grip take your thumb and press against your middle finger hard. You might have a tendency to point that thumb out, don't. Press it against that middle finger and that will help you hold onto the bar
Jenn, thanks. The fitness center I go to does not have bars! I think its ridiculous, the fitness center is at the hospital I work at and it isn't geared towards people who are conditioning like me, but towards people who are just starting out... but anyways, its free . All that being said LOL,, I use dumbbells, my last heaviest weight set is with using 50lb dumbbells. I use the hook straps, but the dumbbells feel like they are are going to roll out, so I have to press the weight in with my fingers.
I'll ditch the hooks and just try the middle finger thumb trick, it should work with the dumbbells. When I grab the weight it is off the rack so I dont have to take it up from the floor. Good Ideas though!!
Also we have a cable machine with a bar that can be attatched. I was thinking that I could try that next time for my "bar".
Old 02-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #403
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rachel. That's tough.... no caffeine! I would miss my coffee. LOL But, its for the sake of your workout routine, so its worth it! I get a lot of slack at work too for not eating all the crap that gets brought it in. There are some very derogatory comments that I would LOVE to say to them in return, but I bite my tongue, and I'll do the same right now. LOL I bet you are just itching to get back to working out.. It just doesn't FEEL right does it.
I am trying to retrain my brain... I have an obsession and addiction to food which gets me in trouble if I dont carefully watch it. This is one of the things I am trying to change about myself through this challenge.

Siggie, I love this board too!! I love the beach body workout dvds. They are great. I think that during the weekend when I work, and the fitness center's hours don't agree with my schedule, I am going to do the turbo jam for my HIIT day. I hope you can find yours. My body resists this current weight I am at. I have been stalled at this weight for several months now. Since I started BFL on the 8th of feb, I have lost some inches. A pair of jeans that were too tight then, are very loose now. When I measure myself with the tape all the numbers say the same which is weird... Hmmm. LOL GOOD job with all your Success!!! Keep it up, YOU are doing great!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #404
Major LCF Poster!

Jami, wow 50lbs for deadlifts . I have all the weight plates I currently own on my dumbbells and it's only 22lbs!! Looks like I'm picking up 2nd hand barbells & a stack of weight plates tomorrow so I can finally increase my LB weights seeing as I'm doing the same weights for chest & arms now.

Might have to figure out how to adjust my squat/deadlift combo using barbells. I've changed to a legs together d.lift/squat, then legs apart d.lift/squat to one direction for 3 'sets' then back in the opposite direction for another 3 'sets'. Not sure this will work with barbells, but I can put higher weight on my dumbbells and keep with what I'm doing. Might use the barbells for calf raises though as I think it'll help with my balance. I do these on a raised concrete drain at present and am always falling backwards off the darn thing. Might have to look at buying an aerobics step, actually I should dig out DDs old plastic step (in with the gardening stuff atm).

So I did my UB weights workout this morning using the ball again and @ 22lbs. Was much easier than Tuesday although the number of reps I could do was about the same. Will see tomorrow how sore I am I guess. Found today that I had more trouble with bicep curls than I've had before, not sure why maybe just a bad day .

Probably won't be on-line over the weekend I am extremely busy again this weekend. Not sure when I'll get a relatively quiet weekend, next Saturday is busy (+ my wedding anniversary); will probably try catching up on some home stuff Sunday between grocery shopping in the morning & dance training in the afternoon!

Have a good one everyone.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:31 AM   #405

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
I've hit a plateau. My trainer wants me to take a rest week from the gym.

My diet this week will include no caffeine, no wheat, no dairy. I will be eating lean protein, nuts, fruits, and vegetables. The no caffeine will be hard, but I'm good on the rest of it.

I was upset about no workouts this week, but I realize that my body needs a break...and the next week, I get to train really hard, which I love.
Is this a diet break or a training break OR both?
how long did you diet before the this rest period. Did he raise your cals up to maintenance as well? Rest period/break should contain carbs for recovery.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:14 AM   #406

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
Is this a diet break or a training break OR both?
how long did you diet before the this rest period. Did he raise your cals up to maintenance as well? Rest period/break should contain carbs for recovery.

It's a training break.
I started working out in November and just finished my 15th week.
My calories were 1700/2100 for two weeks.
Then 1400/1600 last week.

I am at a steady 1500 calories this week. I'm eating lots of fruit and vegetables, plus nuts, so it's about 100 carbs a day (and lean protein and good fats). Just eliminating grains and dairy for this week to see if it helps with my water retention.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #407
Senior LCF Member

Just received The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I am going to start reading it this weekend.

5/90 finished, Trainer at 3:30 , Spin class at 7 and then I am doing interval walking for 30 minutes and ellip for 30 minutes.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #408
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OZ~ I wish that I had some free weights at home. I am thinking about buying those adjustable weight sets... I'd love to do some things at home, especially when the weather is bad outside. It sounds like you have a good LB workout going on.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #409
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Do you all ever have those days where you could eat your own leg off! It's now noon and I have already eaten 4 times! I just feel RAVENOUS!! LOL
Old 02-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #410
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Quote:
Do you all ever have those days where you could eat your own leg off! It's now noon and I have already eaten 4 times! I just feel RAVENOUS!! LOL
Yeah, I've been like that a lot lately, on workout days especially. I typically eat 4 times a day anyway, but lately it has been a real challenge to really gauge what my portion sizes should be.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:20 AM   #411

Quote:
try adding more 'volume' to your meals.. veggies or salad..
Old 02-27-2010, 05:26 AM   #412

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:

Go with it. This means your metabolism is CRANKING, girl. Eat clean, but eat more. It will regulate accordingly.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #413
Senior LCF Member

Finished first week of Power90.

Going to the gym later. Circuit training with trainer and lots of cardio.

Have a great day all.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #414
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone! I thought I'd come here to ask for some advice. Since I changed my WOE, Low fat, moderate carb/protein, I have been much hungrier. Some days, are like I said before, "ravenous" LOL When my WOE was Atkins, I wasn't hungry at all, but, I wasn't noticing any changes in my physique with my workouts. So I changed my WOE and started adding in Complex carbs, lowering my consumed fat to about 20%, then, in just a matter of a couple weeks, my muscles were popping out and I started looking much leaner.
I guess what I am getting at, is there anything I can do to appease my appetite and cravings? Should I increase my fat?? I have always read about body builders and they say, low fat. How low is low?? How much is to high? I thought about adding in more fat by using heavy cream in my coffee, and using full fat salad dressings again, BUT, I dont want to hinder my fat loss or muscle gains... What to do!?

Last edited by jamistar77; 02-28-2010 at 12:30 PM..
Old 02-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #415
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
try adding more 'volume' to your meals.. veggies or salad..
I have been doing this. Salads are my favorite meals. I get satisfied, but an hour later Im ready for another! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Go with it. This means your metabolism is CRANKING, girl. Eat clean, but eat more. It will regulate accordingly.
I'll try to increase my portion sizes as a start. Thanks
Old 02-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #416

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Hi everyone! I thought I'd come here to ask for some advice. Since I changed my WOE, Low fat, moderate carb/protein, I have been much hungrier. Some days, are like I said before, "ravenous" LOL When my WOE was Atkins, I wasn't hungry at all, but, I wasn't noticing any changes in my physique with my workouts. So I changed my WOE and started adding in Complex carbs, lowering my consumed fat to about 20%, then, in just a matter of a couple weeks, my muscles were popping out and I started looking much leaner.
I guess what I am getting at, is there anything I can do to appease my appetite and cravings? Should I increase my fat?? I have always read about body builders and they say, low fat. How low is low?? How much is to high? I thought about adding in more fat by using heavy cream in my coffee, and using full fat salad dressings again, BUT, I dont want to hinder my fat loss or muscle gains... What to do!?
Jami, for starters, 20% fat (if you mean generally, as in per meal) is not a lot of fat. The only time I go as low as 20% fat is on my high carb (or refeed, if you will) days. Throughout the week when doing low or moderate carb, my fat is higher.

Have you considered upping your fat to 25-30% on moderate carb days? That is still considered low fat, yet will provide you with a bit more satiety and balance. The key word here being BALANCE. That is a concept you need to be aware of with each meal and throughout the day.

Sometimes that balance can be achieved by adding a bit more protein, sometimes by adding a bit more fiber (per meal), and sometimes by adding a bit more fat.

If it's late at night, and I'm at my limit or close to my limit on cals, I'll eat lean protein to help fill up. Again, you also have to factor in how many cals you're eating. If you're working out regularly and rather intensely, you're gonna be able to eat more cals than you were used to eating.

Remember, with the additional training and while adding LBM, you can expect your metabolism to increase and that will affect hunger levels.

Feed your muscles while burning that fat. You won't be able to stick to ANY program if you can't find a balance that you can live with.

Does that help?
Old 02-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #417

yep Twyla!

i'd also consider tapering your carbs if need to and center them around training meals and then the later meals cut the carbs back and add the fat, perhaps that will help.
On rest days you can eat higher fat and less carbs and cals and feed those training days with a bit more cals.

are you hungrier on training days vs non training days?
Old 02-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #418
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Twyla, yep, it does help thanks. Right now, according to MyPlate, my percentages are about 50p/30c/20f. I keep my meals balanced with a carb and a protein. When talking about fat, I usually have about 2-5grams per meal. My total carbs for the day are regularly about 90-115. I am thinking that this level is moderate??? right? On your moderate carb days is your fat 25-30% then? How many carbs do you eat on moderate days? I'll have to play around with this and see what I can come up with. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #419
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
yep Twyla!

i'd also consider tapering your carbs if need to and center them around training meals and then the later meals cut the carbs back and add the fat, perhaps that will help.
On rest days you can eat higher fat and less carbs and cals and feed those training days with a bit more cals.

are you hungrier on training days vs non training days?
I do taper... I have my oats, and sweet potatoes for meals 1-3, then meals 4-6, my mainstays are veggies, lean meats, low fat cottage cheese and LC tortillas... My workouts are usually first thing in the morning. I am VERY hungry on days that I do cardio. Thats the day when I want to raid the fridge every hour. On lifting days, Im hungry, but its more manageable.
I was under the assumption that I had to have Low Fat all day if I was adding in complex carbs. So, as long as I dont mix the 2 at meals times its ok then?
Old 02-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #420

Quote:
So, as long as I dont mix the 2 at meals times its ok then?
if that were the case then my program woudl fail.. It's one way to do it.

you dont want (unless a bl sug issue) hi fat with carbs prior to training, because you want your body fast access to them for energy...
same with post workout..

Cardio makes a lot of people hungrier..

play with the cals on those days then.. go higher fat on cardio days and add the carbs/cals to your training day. That is what we do (it's just another option)

Last edited by inatic; 02-28-2010 at 01:24 PM..
Closed Thread