Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Lora
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 23, 2011 (Not a diet, a way of life!)
The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess

Anyone read/use this book?

Please share your thoughts.

I'm new to weight lifting but wanted to incorporate some into my routine.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I'm also interested in this book and have not had a chance to pick one up.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Lora
Start Date: October 23, 2011 (Not a diet, a way of life!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraJR72 View Post
I'm also interested in this book and have not had a chance to pick one up.
I borrowed it from the library, read it and am ready to begin but I don't know if it is a good starting program or if I'm biting off more than I can chew!!!
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:08 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
I LOVE this program. DO IT. You will not regret it. I just finished Stage 1 today, Monday I start Stage 2. Hubby does it with me, he loves it too. In an out of the gym in like 45 min, 3x a week, and I'm looking HAWT!

It is an EXCELLENT starting program, just do it. You will NOT be disappointed! Remember to lift as much as you can and continue to up your weights - this is not a barbie dumbbell workout! Build those muscles!
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: VGrace
Stats: 180/156.2/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 12/28/11
I just bought it yesterday,I am excited to read it
VGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenn_in_NJ
Stats: 267/142/135
WOE: JUDDD/IF
Start Date: 2001
The book is very well written. Nothing really new or earth shattering but everything you need to know in one place. The workouts are good, though they get a little monotonous at the end. I still can't do the body weight matrix all the way through.

I highly recommend it.
Jenn_in_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellyMarie38
Stats: 144.8-136.8-135.8-130 & tone-5'7" tall
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 07/2001
Is this something you can do at home with dumbbells? tia for any info
KellyMarie38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:47 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

You need a bench and probably a barbell too...I'll check my book and see if you can do it just with dumbells, but you definitely need an adjustable bench.

Just finished my first workout B of Stage 2. WOAH. Stage 2 really REALLY kicks it up. Ow.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clairtique
All I can say is that heavy weight training does it! I have been working out for over the last year at a place called Body by Burle in Queens, NY for only 2 days a week, for approximately 30 minutes each session. It is an intense, total body workout. I lift/press, extremely heavy weights. It is all nautalis machines..and for each session I work one on one with one of the personal trainers there. Now, that being said, I have been totally off low carb for over the last year and on a pasta/pizza, etc fest. If it weren't for weight training, I would be a complete mess. I was talking to one of the trainers the other day, and we were discussing how people are under the myth that you have spend all this time doing aroebics...well, he was telling me that I was in real good shape, and real strong...and I laughed...and told him what my diet was like and how uncomfortable I felt. He said, oh my lord...if you got your eating together, you have no idea what you would look like. The muscle form would be popping. And I know that he is right. My calves have definition in them like a professional runner. I'm carrying 'FAT" on me....but he's right....the muscles underneath are amazing. And I know that this form of excercise and low carbing will lean me down so much faster than any aerobic 2 hour work out woulde do.
clairtique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

The think I love about NROLFW is that it stresses the importance of not just using heavy weights but using barbells and dumbbells, because they work the whole body instead of targeted areas, like squats vs leg presses, pushups, standing rows (while balanced on one foot lol), weighted lunges, step ups, deadlifts...crazy stuff I would have NEVER done. There is NOTHING like doing a front squat (barbell in front of you) up onto your toes while doing an overhead press - WHEW! Plus he stresses that steady state cardio isn't the way to go, BUT Interval Training can help you out, but it's not often, just after Workout "B" so only every other workout day...so some weeks i do it 2x a week, some times just 1x.

If ya'll haven't bought the book yet, GET MOVING! And if you aren't USING it yet, GET GOING! You are only wasting your own time and your own muscles by not getting out there. Less than an hour, 2 to 3x a week. GO!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCPisces
I LOVE NRoL4W. I've been slacking, but before I moved I was on Stage 5 and love, love, love it. Anytime I do workout, it's always from that book.
LCPisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: VGrace
Stats: 180/156.2/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 12/28/11
I truly enjoyed reading it. I have always been a huge fan of lifting,a LOT more then aerobic type stuff. I don't have a gym membership and can't afford one any time soon. I have a good variety of dumbbells that I will have to make work for me in the mean time.
VGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clairtique
Where I go they stress...2 days of work out only, and and that it is essential, due to the high impact workout, to rest your body / muscles the rest of the days.
clairtique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellyMarie38
Stats: 144.8-136.8-135.8-130 & tone-5'7" tall
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 07/2001
So, I could use this at a gym?
KellyMarie38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:19 AM   #15

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
yes kelly.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: nikoroo
Stats: 229/225/120
Start Date: uhhh....which time?
Ive been reading NROL, and I am really interested. I know of some folks that have completed it and they love it. Its one of my mini-goals...to start (and finish!) the program.
nikoroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: alessa71
Stats: 120, 5'3"
Funny, I have seen a lot of posts here from people who liked this book. I did it for six months and was really not happy with the results. I may have gained some muscle but I lost no body fat during that time so I was just bigger. My legs were particularly swollen - perhaps from the intense workouts, but it did not feel good when my pants got too small. Then I switched to something along the lines of Making the Cut by J. Michaels. Not exactly, but I would compare it to that kind of workout where I was in the gym most days doing a fast-paced lifting workout, jumping from exercise to exercise and some cardio. I took a little from different books I had read and what seemed to work for me. However, I stopped doing intense cardio since I was not taking breaks much. I am leaner now and have much better definition. I still need to work on my legs which have always been toughest, but they're better than they have been. My eating is not all that different from then (generally high protein, restricted carb and fat though not low). Perhaps if I did NROLFW now I would like it more, but at the time it just made me feel puffy. So much of the wisdom out there is that intense cardio/interval is superior, but that has just not been my experience. Of course with women there are so often other factors at play, hormones, etc. so who knows.

A huge benefit to that program is that it allows for limited time at the gym and recovery time. But, I'm not mentally ready for that anyway. I could use the extra time given my hectic schedule but definitely (unfortunately) get something psychologically out of a little time in the gym almost every day.
alessa71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: meb2004
Stats: 146 / 135 5'9"
WOE: weston price / whole foods
Start Date: February 2004
i just got nrolfw after seeing all the praise around here. it looks like a fairly good book, I'm considering getting the original to see how they compare. I'm going to use it to help get back into more regular lifting and build up some strength (stopped from having zero energy from hypothyroid). I would like to point out that the book isn't necessarily for "fat loss", you need to mostly watch your diet for that aspect.

I feel like there still are some girly aspects to the workouts though - 15 rep sets / lunges (do guys do lunges??) , but the reps drop for later workouts. And one of the exercises has you balance on one leg, not sure about that one either.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #19

bulgarian split squats? practice near something with no wt to start

Yes men do lunges
Old 08-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post

Yes men do lunges

haha, maybe I just thought they didn't do them since I never saw any of that going on when I belonged to a gym And maybe also because I hate them
meb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

oh but the balancing on one leg workout in the book is not a bulgarian split squat, i'll have to look it up and post. it's more like balancing on one leg with the other extended behind you and maybe doing a bent-over row? i'll have to check. i'm pretty sure i'll hate that exercise too though
meb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #22

one leg rdl OR just an rdl without the wt..

We used to do them and i forgot what they are called..

Wonder where my NROL book is lol
Old 08-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenn_in_NJ
Stats: 267/142/135
WOE: JUDDD/IF
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by meb2004 View Post
oh but the balancing on one leg workout in the book is not a bulgarian split squat, i'll have to look it up and post. it's more like balancing on one leg with the other extended behind you and maybe doing a bent-over row? i'll have to check. i'm pretty sure i'll hate that exercise too though
I think that's a one point dumbbell row.
Jenn_in_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn_in_NJ View Post
I think that's a one point dumbbell row.
that that might be it when i looked in the book.

Nope, not done that one.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mogget
Stats: size 26/16/10
WOE: ICMYT/Exercise
Start Date: restarting Sep 1 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post

Yes men do lunges

My man does a murderous amount of bulgies with weights - it has done incredible things for his legs and behind!

I think I need to get this book...
Mogget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: delonewolf
Stats: 210+/195/145?
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: July 2009
Because of what I have been reading here and the ratings on Amazon, I ordered this book. Tomorrow I am going to the gym with my neighbor. It has been EONS since I belonged to a gym. I want to start out with a routine they set up for me and once I get the book, transition over the "goddess" routine. I used to follow bodybuilding years ago, back when Cory Everson was popular. I never WAS a bodybuilder, just admired it. Since I am turning 54 in September, I really want to lose the fat and flab for good. It is long overdue for me! Now that I'm older, it's not coming off as quickly, but it will eventually.
delonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RMisfit
i am not familiar with the book but I am familiar with working out like a man. I was fortunate when I started lifting, I belonged to a small independent gym that had a reputation for body building and was taught about the concept of intensity and working hard. Unfortunately I am built like a sock puppet so no matter how hard I lifted I did get tighter but never much in muscle size or definition, I did have great abs. I say did because 8 years of RA and 4-5 years of radiculopathy put a dent in your training routine.

So good luck to all those who can work hard and get results. Weight lifting is the best thing in the world!
RMisfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMisfit View Post
i am not familiar with the book but I am familiar with working out like a man. I was fortunate when I started lifting, I belonged to a small independent gym that had a reputation for body building and was taught about the concept of intensity and working hard. Unfortunately I am built like a sock puppet so no matter how hard I lifted I did get tighter but never much in muscle size or definition, I did have great abs. I say did because 8 years of RA and 4-5 years of radiculopathy put a dent in your training routine.

So good luck to all those who can work hard and get results. Weight lifting is the best thing in the world!
it is!

Other than being a newbie, if you dont not eat to grow (means over maintenance) , you arent going to grow. I've had to do a few bulks to put on muscle.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mogget
Stats: size 26/16/10
WOE: ICMYT/Exercise
Start Date: restarting Sep 1 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogget View Post
My man does a murderous amount of bulgies with weights - it has done incredible things for his legs and behind!

I think I need to get this book...

And I have now ordered the book!
Mogget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cleome
Stats: 230/184/130
WOE: Metformin+LowCarb/HypothyroidHealth
Start Date: September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
Anyone read/use this book?

Please share your thoughts.

I'm new to weight lifting but wanted to incorporate some into my routine.
BUMPing an old thread here, to see if anyone else is currently doing NROL4W ?

I'm a free weight newbie, but I have been using circuit machines for a couple years. I found the sentiment against wasting time with "Barbie 'bells" in NROL4W to be my inspiration.

My weight & inches have been on a 6-month plateau, so I decided to shake up my metabolism by training with heavy free weights. My current goal is to be strong and healthy, forget about the number on the scale. Still, getting myself to eat more calories and get enough g protein is a challenge after years of diets.

I'm real careful at the gym, starting with low weights and watching the mirror for good form for my squats or deadlift. But something about seeing an obese 40-something woman in the weightroom seems to get the trainers all nervous .

Anyone else got good experiences to share?
cleome is offline   Reply With Quote