Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Muscle Matters! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/muscle-matters/)
-   -   Anyone else feel nauseous after weight lifting? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/muscle-matters/608238-anyone-else-feel-nauseous-after-weight-lifting.html)

WildflowerMama 03-13-2009 11:37 AM

Anyone else feel nauseous after weight lifting?

Does anyone else get a nauseous feeling after weight training?

It happens to me every time. For about an hour after I'm done, I just feel so sick. During the workout, I'm fine. It's after I stop. Within about 5 minutes I start feeling so sick to my stomach.

I googled and some think it might be low blood sugar but, I've had low blood sugar before and this isn't it. It isn't a sick, shakey feeling. It's actual nausea. And, I eat before workouts - plain yogurt and blueberries generally so, I'm pretty sure it's not low blood sugar.

Just wondering if this happens to anyone else and if you've found anything that helps?

KevetS 03-13-2009 01:00 PM

Sometimes, but only if I am starting a new program or really pushing myself hard. I think you may need to work on your pre and post workout diets. Maybe a snack before and/or after and lots of water would help?

Jenn_in_NJ 03-13-2009 06:13 PM

How soon after you eat are you working out? Is it every single workout? Do you ever actually puke? Have you tried changing what you eat, like oatmeal, preworkout?

NikisMom 03-14-2009 08:02 AM

I feel like that when the intensity is high but it usually is right after the set and can linger for awhile afterward. Marine Corps trainers say if you don't feel like your going to puke you didn't do it right :D

It is funny because as soon as the nausea goes away I am starving.

WildflowerMama 03-14-2009 09:15 AM

It's every single workout and I'm eating about 30 - 60 minutes before I workout. I have tried changing what I eat pre-workout but, it doesn't matter what I eat. I always get a sick feeling. I've even tried not eating and it still happens.

It really stinks!

BrianSCohen 03-14-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikisMom (Post 11696582)
I feel like that when the intensity is high but it usually is right after the set and can linger for awhile afterward. Marine Corps trainers say if you don't feel like your going to puke you didn't do it right :D

It is funny because as soon as the nausea goes away I am starving.

After a heavy set of squats or deadlifts, I sometimes feel lightheaded, nauseous and just need to sit for a few minutes. Some people report throwing up or laying down on the ground. Certainly heavy exertion coupled with poor breathing can cause a spike in blood pressure and this can be one source of problems. But you need to remember that extreme levels of exertion scream to your body to call on every last reserve and this triggers hormone surges. This is a natural way that your body responds to emergencies and unfortunately this can leaving you feeling just like described.

Make sure you breath right and remember, throwing up after a heavy set of squats is a badge of courage. When people see you bringing over the trashcan when you squat, they will give you some serious respect in the gym.

NikisMom 03-14-2009 09:33 AM

Thanks Brian :D

You made a very good point about breathing, the tendency is to hold your breath when the exertion is really high...I have to really concentrate so that I don't do this.

Jenn_in_NJ 03-14-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildflowerMama (Post 11696870)
It's every single workout and I'm eating about 30 - 60 minutes before I workout. I have tried changing what I eat pre-workout but, it doesn't matter what I eat. I always get a sick feeling. I've even tried not eating and it still happens.

It really stinks!

Yes, that would really deter me from exercising.

Do you take any kinds of medications, blood pressure, diuretics, etc?

I don't know if I've ever gotten nauseous so I can only recommend experimenting.

Don't change everything at once or you'll never figure it out.

Try the breathing like Brian suggested. Also, make sure you are well hydrated.

You can also try eating 1-2 hours prior to your workout.

I forget the specifics but during digestion your blood goes to your stomach area to help in the digestive process. If you aren't giving it enough time, or you digest slowly maybe you aren't giving your body enough time to get the blood back to flowing.

Keep us posted, I'd like to know what works for you.

Jenn_in_NJ 03-14-2009 10:05 AM

I was researching a little more and someone mentioned lactic acid buildup. Might be worth a google.

NikisMom 03-14-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildflowerMama (Post 11693640)
Does anyone else get a nauseous feeling after weight training?

It happens to me every time. For about an hour after I'm done, I just feel so sick. During the workout, I'm fine. It's after I stop. Within about 5 minutes I start feeling so sick to my stomach.

I googled and some think it might be low blood sugar but, I've had low blood sugar before and this isn't it. It isn't a sick, shakey feeling. It's actual nausea. And, I eat before workouts - plain yogurt and blueberries generally so, I'm pretty sure it's not low blood sugar.

Just wondering if this happens to anyone else and if you've found anything that helps?

It is odd that you feel fine during your workout, my experience with this is that is happens immediately following a set and then lingers. I would very strongly recommend that you talk to your doctor about this and get it checked out.

BrianSCohen 03-14-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildflowerMama (Post 11696870)

It really stinks!

You know as I reread what you said, I realized. You don't say you are eating after workout. I always eat after workout and consider more important than eating before the workout. I actually try to get a protein serving or two (20-40g) as well as measure of carbs (20-40g) within thirty minutes after workout. If you have not been taking a postworkout (PWO) meal, give it a try.

KajunDC 03-16-2009 04:55 PM

Ditch the yogurt and just go with the berries. The yogurt may be sitting in your stomach too long and can make you feel nauseated after a workout. Right before and after a workout, you want things that digest fast, not sit on your stomach.

It may not be this but this is what I would try first. Also I agree with Brian, eat post-workout - preferably a shake or something else that digests fast.

WildflowerMama 03-21-2009 09:30 AM

Thank you all for your thoughts!

Whatever was going on hasn't happened the last two workouts. Not sure what it was but, hopefully, it's resolved itself.

One thing I have been doing after workouts is going for a long walk - that seems to completely keep the nausea at bay.

farvahgc 05-23-2013 04:32 PM

i know this is an old thread but i have this exact same problem. For me, the remedy is salt. if you sweat a lot and don't eat enough salt (as well as other electrolytes) you will get nauseous. ive actually puked hours after lifting, felt awful, then drank some salty water and felt better almost immediately.

avid 05-26-2013 09:47 AM

I have nothing to contribute to this thread.
I just want to say that I'm glad it was posted, and will remember the tips.
Breathing and salt....good stuff, I can forget to do either satisfactorily.
I get light headed some times, but fortunately cannot ever recall
being nauseous or throwing up.
Guess I'll never get my "badge of courage" LOL,
but at 63 years old, just being there is badge enough.