Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Hmm....I enjoyed talking to Fred on the cruise. He's a real sweetheart.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/137.8/135-139
Metqa, you sound enthused again after reading Stackdiesel's post, which by the way is excellent advice.

Stackdiesel

What a detailed and informative post you've offered!!!

Oh, a bit OT, but where in Philly are you? It's my hometown from many years ago.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stackdiesel
Stats: 238/196/Unknown
WOE: Low Carb
Sazzie,

I'm actually up in Yardley, Bucks County, about 35 minutes north of Philly. I just use Philly as a convenient reference point.

Regards,
Stack
Stackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #274
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Khewes
Hi Stack, I'm waving at you from my post in West Chester, PA.

Now I can go back and read the thread from the beginning..
Khewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #275
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I got Fred's DVDs, which are excellent, excellent. I think I'm stronger than I thought I was..Started with 5 pounds yesterday and think I might have to move up to 8 pounds.
I tried one at the gym today and think this will be okay..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #276
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/137.8/135-139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackdiesel View Post
Sazzie,

I'm actually up in Yardley, Bucks County, about 35 minutes north of Philly. I just use Philly as a convenient reference point.

Regards,
Stack
Been a while since I've been on the computer, so am sorry that I'm responding so late.

I used to live in Montgomery County......Huntingdon Valley, then NE Philly before moving to Va., then to Florida.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #277

Gosh, I used my 8 pound weights and did this with a friend and I'm still shaking..This is a good thing..My old muscles have never been that taxed before.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #278

Mel: I asked Fred this question on the LC Cruise and he said it wasn't the best device because of the tension wasn't even. But, it would okay if you didn't have anything else.

I switched to 5 pound weights on those "flys"..but my 8's on other exercises.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #279
Deb

Gallery: Deb
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Mel: I asked Fred this question on the LC Cruise and he said it wasn't the best device .

he needs to talk to my muscles

i have gotten alot of neg feed back on the SB thang so i will stick to what works for me
Deb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #280

I have one at my gym, too..I am just using the free weights.. Absolutely stick what works for you..
Old 07-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #281
DB
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DB
WOE: Low Carb w/ 14 Day Cycling
Start Date: 2002/2011
Around 2002, I learned about Super Slow and found a trainer in the Atlanta area. But in 2004, I moved from the area and life became very hectic. I would like to begin again but was surprised to find that I can no longer locate the website that listed the certified trainers by state (it appears to have been replaced by another URL, another "owner" and a very different type of access). I have found it impossible to locate local or near local resources for this type of weight training (west metro Atlanta). Can anyone point me in the right direction? It would be very much appreciated!
DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #282

Dr.B...I would order Fred's DVD's and do this at home. Honestly, his second DVD is fabulous to use a workout..Get some handweights and a towel..that is all you need.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #283
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/159/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Bumping this thread!! I'm a slow burn fan myself!! I am excited to see this thread! Hope you're all doing well w. the plan!! I love the efficiency of it!!

Stack-I'm from the Phila area myself. Love Yardley-the river is so pretty! Fall there is my favorite!! Enjoy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzie View Post
Been a while since I've been on the computer, so am sorry that I'm responding so late.

I used to live in Montgomery County......Huntingdon Valley, then NE Philly before moving to Va., then to Florida.
I grew up in Huntingdon Valley-off Hungtindon Pike by Rydal Elementary school And Abington too . I'm in AZ now and love the sunshine!! I do miss it in the Fall.
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #284

Julie..

I love this plan so much..My ds25 is doing it at his apartment..The first day his legs were sore and he was in good shape.

I would love my dh to do it...

Since starting this program in late May, I have lost 3 stubborn pounds and I am thrilled and my pants are looser..It's a miracle.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #285
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Daytona!
WOE: Ketogenic Paleo
I love Slow Burn! I started it a year ago when I realized that tennis and running were doing a number on my blood sugar. It would cause such crazy spikes and lows that I would be near bed-ridden... But for some reason I can handle a 20 minute session 2x a week without too much downtime afterwards with only 1-2 hours of feeling like ****.

When I first started I could barely lift 10 lbs and had no clue what "lifting to failure" meant. I did it by myself for about 4 months and then found a gym near my house that does a very similar routine with a different name (The Exercise Coach).

Once I started working with them my strength gains increased dramatically. I now leg press 400 lbs and on some of the arm exercises can do over 100lbs. Never lost any weight doing this, in fact I gained 10 lbs... but I'm hoping it's muscle instead of more chub.
Daytona! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #286

Yikes...I'm sure it is muscle..
Old 08-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #287

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Julie..

I love this plan so much..My ds25 is doing it at his apartment..The first day his legs were sore and he was in good shape.

I would love my dh to do it...

Since starting this program in late May, I have lost 3 stubborn pounds and I am thrilled and my pants are looser..It's a miracle.
That's great.
I'm so frustrated, I have my weights, but I still haven't done it consistantly. I can't wait for life to slow down so I can continue an actual routine rather than stop and start. it's great that feeling of fatigue that goes away leaving you feeling stronger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona! View Post
I love Slow Burn! I started it a year ago when I realized that tennis and running were doing a number on my blood sugar. It would cause such crazy spikes and lows that I would be near bed-ridden... But for some reason I can handle a 20 minute session 2x a week without too much downtime afterwards with only 1-2 hours of feeling like ****.

When I first started I could barely lift 10 lbs and had no clue what "lifting to failure" meant. I did it by myself for about 4 months and then found a gym near my house that does a very similar routine with a different name (The Exercise Coach).

Once I started working with them my strength gains increased dramatically. I now leg press 400 lbs and on some of the arm exercises can do over 100lbs. Never lost any weight doing this, in fact I gained 10 lbs... but I'm hoping it's muscle instead of more chub.
That's awesome, I"m sure it's muscle and you are so much stronger.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm moving house and realizing how weak I am. I started singing a song
"I'm super weak! Super weak. I'm super Weaky, Yow!" I think I need this realization to force me to make a routine and stick to it...After I finish moving. I like doing the slow burn, alot, I just don't have it as part of my life routine since things have gotten super crazy and out of control and stuff. But I wanna get stronger so I'm glad to read others stories about slow burn to help me not forget what I want for myself.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #288

Fred is going to interviewed by Jimmy tomorrow night.. Should be great.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:08 AM   #289
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BuzzB
I need to start resistance training and this method sounds good. Before I get the book, let me ask this question:

Instead of hand weights, would using adjustable resistance bands work? I have a set that allows me to adjust the tension. I travel and this fits in my bag. Hand weights don't nor do I belong to a gym.
BuzzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #290
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
I've never used resistance bands, but I think most if not all of the moves would be adaptable to them. Some of the movies just use body weight. The ones where I use free weights or ankle weights are: side-lying leg lift, single leg curl, lateral arm lifts (for shoulders), single arm rows, and bicep curls. Hmmm, I hope that's everything. Could you use bands for those?
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #291
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BuzzB
Yes, I can modify the bands for all of those exercises.

Thanks.
BuzzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #292

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
oKAY, starting again. Today I did a full routine. I'm going to plan to do another 5 days from now. The book says the ideal interval is 5 days for maximum benefit, though you may choose to do it two or even three times a week to expedite learning... I think I've "learned" that starting too gung ho on any exercise routine is what leads me to hurt myself and quit before I start. I think I will wait the 5 days, and I know it's my day off so I have no excuse not to do it then.
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote