Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
Carb Refeeds - how frequent?

I have been interested in weight training since I was very young. I have this book on bodybuilding nutrition which describes a carb cycling plan for effective fat loss and muscle gain... basically you restrict to almost induction levels of carbs (20-30g a day) for 5 days a week, then on 2 days you "carb up" by eating pretty much whatever you want, all the while working hard with weights. I understand why they advocate this, but the "5 on 2 off" cycle doesn't make sense since it takes 3 days just to get into induction... that means you're only burning fat for 2 days! maybe it's different for a muscle-bound male who has been working out consistently, but for a fat female with less muscle, it might not be a great plan.

I was doing really well with my strength training program when I started at the beginning of 2008, but I kept eating badly, so I didn't lose any weight. I ended up stopping because I found it so difficult to lift while on Induction. that's why I think the carb refeeds might be a good idea. I know I have to work my butt off for it to even work. I am wary of the "5 on 2 off" thing though... maybe a ten day cycle is better? like 9 on, 1 off? I've also read that it might work with a carb refeed every 3 weeks. can anyone with Atkins experience shed some light on this? anyone have any ideas or anecdotes to share?
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: amiga74
Stats: 167(1997)/147/
WOE: moderation/good stuff
2 days of carb refeeds are a bit much, imho, and not necessary for the majority of people. There are shorter time periods of refeeds that are also effective. For example, a 5 hour period. An 8 hour period, or a 12 hour period.

Are you training consistently now?
it won't help to do a refeed if you are not training consistently.
I would wait 10 days then do the refeed. After the first refeed,i might schedule the next 6-7 days later and keep it to that schedule. The 9 days low carb and 1 day high carb is another good option. As you get closer to goal, you could move it to every 6-7 days.
It is very important that the refeed be very low to no fat.

it is essentially a ketogenic program. there is a link for this program in the "other plans" area

best of luck
amiga74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
unless you are stickly following that plan, i owuldnt incorporate refeeds. Chose a plan and stick with it.

As amiga mentioned the other plans thread has the keto plan which some of the atkids folk like to follow. There is also a plan where you just target carbs around your eating and then lower carb it...

They all work... sticking to it is what gives results.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
thanks for the help! I'll go check out the other threads.
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:36 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahdenmark
Hi
I know this is a rather old thread. But I was recently searching Google for "refeeds", and it got me to this link.
I would like to hear any suggestions of how often I should be having refeed-days in my diet.

My diet is from 1000-1400 cals a day. Besides that, I'm running 4-5 times a week, each time 30-40 mins. I make sure to mix between low-high intensity.

However, I find myself in the need of "carbing-up" or having cravings rather often. Some time ago, I used to have a refeed-day about every 9th or 10th day. This was working quite nice.
Now, it suddently seems like I cant focus on anything else than food! And its so frustrating that I almost cant wait 9-10 days... Last week, i had a refeed on Tuesday and a smaller one Sunday. And already yesterday (Tuesday) I hit the carbs again... in the night before going to bed! (
My intakes on a typical refeed is about 1000-1500 cals more than my diet-intakes. (So its typical around max 3000 cals TOTALLY for a day.)
But yesterday my refeed wasnt "too big" though. I was feeling hungry in the evening, and I couldnt hold myself back. So I ate A LOT of Cheerios cereals with skimmed milk, a little bowl of oatmeal with skimmed milk, about 300 grams of low-fat nonsugared youghurt, 1 little piece of wholegrain bread with sugarfree jam and a half banana. I didnt count the calories much, but I think that my total intake of that day was around 2200 cals.

Will this cause me to gain weight? I mean, if I continue having frequent refeeds?
Or will it actually help my diet?
Honestly, I'm starting to get completely nuts, and cant keep my mind off from food, if there isn't a refeed-day in sight, lol. My energy level also seems to drop if I wait too long..
sarahdenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:02 AM   #6

hey!

how much do you weigh that you are only taking in 1000-1400 cals?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I'm a little tiny thing.. about 78 pounds.. ) Not tall either.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #8

How old are you?

so why are you dieting??
Old 06-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Books such as the TNT Diet offer an option for a carb refeed after every workout if desired, saying that the insulin helps drive nutrients into the muscles.

One of the Eades books, I forget if it was The Slow Burn Fitness Revolution or the Six Week Cure seemed to indicate studies showed that carb refeeds did help in that manner for younger (say 35 or less I think it was), but for older folks the carb refeeds didn't work as well.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #10

im older.. 48 to be exact and carb refeeds work quite well. you have to know how and when to use them..

I however feel the OP is likely not needing a diet/refeed but to eat..
Old 06-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

48, wow, as from what I can see in your photos, you keep yourself incredible fit!
I'm 27. Height 5'1. Weight 78 pounds. I know its not much. But I have a lean figure with small bones.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

And for now, I want to maintain my weight.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:49 AM   #13

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdenmark View Post
Hi

My diet is from 1000-1400 cals a day. Besides that, I'm running 4-5 times a week, each time 30-40 mins. I make sure to mix between low-high intensity.

However, I find myself in the need of "carbing-up" or having cravings rather often.

Your problem may simply be a matter of finding balance in your daily menus to keep up with your current activity level and give your body the fuel it needs for those things as well.

The Goldilocks Approach:

For instance, adding extra clean, complex carbs in the earlier meals of the day, balanced with each of those meals, not too low in fat, then taper your carbs the remaining meals and up protein and fat. Tweak and experiment for a while, tracking your food and keeping notes on how if affects you, etc., should help. Being in tune with your body.

I find that BALANCE is what keeps my cravings at bay and keeps me satiated in the long run, whether dieting OR trying to maintain.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:49 AM   #14

thank you! : ) it's been a journey i've throughly enjoyed.

I know gals 4'11 that dont weigh or ever get that low and are small boned.. they worked with my trainer, so i know they did it correctly...

It really makes me wonder if perhaps you could use some 'meat' on ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdenmark View Post
And for now, I want to maintain my weight.
that sounds major under wt , even for small bones.. see above...

I hope you dont find it rude of me to ask but can you share a picture?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
thank you! : ) it's been a journey i've throughly enjoyed.

I know gals 4'11 that dont weigh or ever get that low and are small boned.. they worked with my trainer, so i know they did it correctly...

It really makes me wonder if perhaps you could use some 'meat' on ya.

that sounds major under wt , even for small bones.. see above...

I hope you dont find it rude of me to ask but can you share a picture?
I uploadet a webcam photo. But it doesnt seem like its showing here some how..
What am I doing wrong? The file isnt too big, so this shouldnt be a problem..
Anyway, I have never really tried working out with weight-lifting and that kind of stuff. I always chose the "quick solution", if I wanted to shape-up. And for me, this was/is a mix between running, swimming and dieting. Do I build up muscles by doing these activites only, allthough I'm dieting meanwhile?
I make sure to eat loads of protein, hereby whey-proteinshakes. I'm in very good shape, and can do some sprinting as well. (but not for a very long distance, lol.)
But it might be a good idea with some weight-lifting too, in order not to loose muscles when I'm dieting..
I always admired women like you, who look really fit and toned!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post

Your problem may simply be a matter of finding balance in your daily menus to keep up with your current activity level and give your body the fuel it needs for those things as well.

The Goldilocks Approach:

For instance, adding extra clean, complex carbs in the earlier meals of the day, balanced with each of those meals, not too low in fat, then taper your carbs the remaining meals and up protein and fat. Tweak and experiment for a while, tracking your food and keeping notes on how if affects you, etc., should help. Being in tune with your body.

I find that BALANCE is what keeps my cravings at bay and keeps me satiated in the long run, whether dieting OR trying to maintain.
Thank you very much for your advice! I will try it out and adjust some things in my diet. Just a little scared of the "fat" word, lol.. Typical me.. when I'm dieting, I am soooo afraid of letting fat also be a part of my intake. Ridicilous, I know. I get a bit of fat from the oatmeal and low-fat yoghurt I'm eating, though.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Oh by the way.. is it possible that you have too much protein in a diet? Or is it not a big matter (as long as you're keeping an overall calorie deficit) ?
Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #18

oy! you should not be fat or carb phobic...

<speech>
you need fat in your diet if you want healthy hormones! hormones are produced from FATS, especially in younger people like yourself.. Im 48 and my hormones are already failing but still.. you need EFA(essential fatty acids)

I STILL dont think you should need to be dieting or in a deficit at 78lbs..

one should get approximately 1-1.5g of protein per lb of bw wt..anything more that than, given you are eating fats and carbs are just wasted and not really necessary. set your protein, get your fat/carbs and you should be set
Old 06-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
Hi guys, can you help me explain why we need a refeed day like this???? I still cannot understand
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #20

per my coach:

Quote:
Refeeds generally are higher carb/lower fat periods of eating, ranging anywhere from 5-6 hours up to a day, even two days.

They're used to help with continuing fat loss by attempting to elevate (transiently) leptin levels.

Carbs don't have to be low GI, and I'd argue it's far better off if they're not. You're after insulin. The higher GI, lower fiber carbs makes it much easier to meet your carb goals for your refeed without getting too bloated, full, etc.
read more if you are interested from lyle mcdonald
Old 06-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: globehoppergal
Stats: 183/173/165
WOE: thin for good
Start Date: April 2010
I offer a few thoughts and my back story is that I'm a 49year old woman, former pro athlete, still majorly devoted athlete dabbling in bodybuilding, yoga, and off season distance running, though I may give that up, just getting too hard on the bones. Through a decade and a half of dietary excuses and denial combined with being in really good fitness I pretty much ignored the weight creep untill major surgeries landed me in a wheelchair for a year during which time I put on some weight. I now adhere to a bodybuilding program and find that it took several weeks on the low carb/near induction level to find energy to really lift, but I did it anyway and I am surprised at how powering through the slumps resulted in a drastic increase in my outcomes and abilities with the weights. I find a carby meal every now and then (maybe every 7-10 days) a good thing, but I don't get drastic and consider a carby meal to include berries, bread, maybe a small serving pasta, beer, and when I eat the carby meal I don't also involve the protein. It seems to work very well for me. One thing I notice is that my weight loss will slow if I don't drink enough water and that sore muscles are very thirsty creatures also causing water retention post workouts but I shake that with a periodic sauna. My view is that you just have to hang in there with it, sometimes rapid results will happen, other times when it seems no results are comming it is possible your resolve and disciplin are building. I was a fitness trainer for universities, businesses, private gyms and pro and amateur athletes and I learned that everyone has to learn what they can manage in terms of their steps toward their goals, and that if you can't manage the steps, finding different ones are surely a good idea. If something seems to work, or not work, that is a clue but overall it does take a fairly long period (perhaps a few years) of consistant training and correct for you eating to get your body to it's athletic best- which is again different than just being slim.
globehoppergal is offline   Reply With Quote