Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2003, 08:47 AM   #1
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bellibean
Nutrition: Recipe and Meal Ideas

I've been asked to combine the nutrition stickies into one so that people don't have to scroll through so many stickies to get down the page.

There's really no way to keep the new recipes/meal ideas sectioned off; so please try to label each one that you submit as to which nutrition plan it fits in best with. So many of them are interchangeable with minor adjustments, anyhow, so maybe we can list some good ideas without confusing too many people.

Here Goes:

BFL Recipe and Meal Ideas:

~BFL Apple "Pie"~
Cut a medium apple up and nuke for approx. 2 minutes
add cinnamon, splenda and salt
add a serving of cottage cheese on top
Most Atkids can have this with green apples

~BFL Chili ~

1 lb chicken breasts, cooked and diced (you could use extra lean ground beef)
{For carbs you could use beans or corn or brown rice, etc. - your choice}
1 can hot chili beans
1 lg can of tomato sauce
1 can chopped rotel tomatoes
1 large onion
1/2 c chopped celery
1 can chopped spinach
garlic, seasoned salt, chili powder, cayenne pepper, pepper to taste depending on how spicy you like it
sometimes I also add jalepenos and hot sauce
Divide into seven servings (count includes beans):
240cal/3.6g fat/27.6 g carbs/26.4g protein

~Pronut Butter - You can vary the amounts for different ratios, but, basically -
1 T peanut butter
1.5 scoops protein powder
1 tsp sugar-free syrup
You can eat this on whole-wheat toast with low-carb jelly

~Berries with cottage cheese~
1 c frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries, etc. or you can mix them) - nuked for a minute and a half, then drained
stir in a packet of splenda
top with a serving of cottage cheese (2/3 c 1% CC for nutritional breakdown listed)
187 cal/3 g fat/23 g carbs(4g fiber)/19g protein

~Veggie Soup~
lean, drained ground beef or chicken
1 big can of tomato sauce + one big can of water
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 large onion
green veggies of choice - celery, broccoli, cut-up brussel sprouts (spaceballs ), cabbage - I usually only pick a couple at a time, too many can be pretty overwhelming
For carbs - you can use corn, barley, a potato, brown rice, etc. - your choice
salt, pepper, cayenne pepper for taste

~BFL - Baked potato with cottage cheese~
Nuke one medium potato, slice open and eat with one cup cottage cheese on top - Yum!!

~BFL - Proatmeal
cook serving of oatmeal - I used 1/3 c with salt
when the oatmeal is done, put 1 tsp of sugar-free syrup, 1 packet of splenda, 1-2tsp cinnamon and 1.5 scoops of protein powder on top
Stir and eat!

~BFL Cottage Oatmeal~
Cook serving of oatmeal, stir in splenda and cinnamon
eat with a serving of cottage cheese on top. Sounds gross, but tastes pretty good.

******Low-Carb for Bodybuilders Recipes and Meal Ideas******

The change for Atkin's people will be to concentrate on getting six servings of protein a day - 20 to 30 grams/3-4 oz per meal, depending on your size and calorie level goals. Otherwise, you can do Atkin's as you have been. There's a great recipe room you can get to by clicking the tab at the top of the page.

Here are some ideas - typical Atkin's/low-carb meals -

~eggs (2 or 3) with a slice of cheese, a small tomato and a sausage patty

~3 or 4 oz of some kind of meat (roast, chicken, meatloaf, fish, whatever I have cooked up) with some kind of green veggie plus a small amount of some kind of low-carb gravy or a bit of cheese

~taco salad (meat, cheese, lettuce, guacamole, hot sauce, a bit of ranch or sour cream, green onions)

~sometimes for one of the meals, I'll have just protein, or protein and fat, especially later in the day, though I try to include veggies as often as possible - if I don't have the veggie, I'll have some kind of fiber supplement with the meal

~if I have "treats" (low-carb pumpkin cheesecake comes to mind), I'll have a serving of protein with it and count it as a meal

~I keep an easy-to-grab protein supplement around (I like Isopure whey protein, but protein powder for making shakes would be the same)

~Stirfry

~Low-carb Pumpkin "Pie" -
1/2 c canned 100% pumpkin mixed with a tsp. pumpkin pie spice, one packet of splenda and a little salt
Nuke this for about 35 seconds
Eat with a serving of cottage cheese (I use about one cup 1% CC)
Low-carbers can have a bit of whipped cream on the top
Counts (without the whipped cream and using 1 c cottage cheese) - 205 cal/3g fat/6 g net carbs(10g fiber)/29 g protein

~Low-carb Chili ~

2 lbs lean ground beef
1 lg can of tomato sauce
1 can chopped rotel tomatoes
1 large onion
1/2 c chopped celery
1 can chopped spinach
garlic, seasoned salt, chili powder, cayenne pepper, pepper to taste depending on how spicy you like it
sometimes I also add jalepenos and hot sauce
Divided into 12 servings/Per Serving - 194cal/10.5g fat/7g carbs/18g protein
Entire Recipe - 2324 cal/125g fat/84g carbs/213g protein

~Low-carb Lasagna (this is a spicy version!)~
1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb Zesty Sausage
1 can rotel or diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 pkg shredded part-skim mozzarella
1/2 pkg shredded reduced fat cheddar
1/2 C parmesan
1 C cottage cheese
Several cabbage leaves
Canned chopped spinach or fresh baby spinach leaves
Any or all of the following - Portabello mushrooms, zucchini, sliced or diced green, red and/or yellow peppers, canned chopped artichokes, etc. - whatever you like or have on hand - I generally use a combination
1 medium onion
garlic, basil, italian seasoning, cayenne pepper, seasoned sauce

Brown and drain the meats. Cook the onion (and peppers if you like) in a bit of coconut or other oil and add it to the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes along with the cooked meat. Season the sauce with the garlic, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper, italian seasoning and basil. Layer the lasagna as you usually would, except use the veggies where the noodles would go . Sauce on the bottom, then cabbage and a bit of spinach, then the cheeses, then more sauce, another layer of veggies, then sauce, then cheeses. Cover with foil and bake for an hour to an hour and a half at 350 degrees.
Divided into 12 servings:
234 cal/12.9g fat/8.4 net carbs(2.1g fiber)/20g protein
Entire Recipe: 2805 cal/155g fat/101.13g net carbs(25 g fiber)/235g protein

~Meatloaf - Low-carb version - I use RyKrisp crackers and eggs for filler

~Pronut Butter - You can vary the amounts for different ratios, but, basically -
1 T peanut butter
1.5 scoops protein powder
1 tsp sugar-free syrup
*If you can afford the carbs, you can have this on a piece of low-carb toast or on a RyKrisp or Wasa cracker

~Berries with cottage cheese~
1/2 c frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries, etc. or you can mix them) - nuked for a minute and a half, then drained
stir in a packet of splenda
top with 2/3 c cottage cheese
148cal/2g fat/11g carbs(2g fiber)/19 g protein
(I eat 2/3 c berries, because I don't mind the carbs and the calories are low for this meal. You could add whipped cream if you wanted to up the calories, but not the carbs)

~Veggie Soup~
1 lb of ground beef
1 big can of tomato sauce + one big can of water
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 large onion
green veggies of choice - celery, broccoli, cut-up brussel sprouts (spaceballs ), cabbage - I usually only pick a couple at a time, too many can be pretty overwhelming
salt, pepper, cayenne pepper for taste

~Tuna patties~
1 can of tuna
1 egg
1 T chopped onion
1 T chopped green pepper
1/2 crushed RyKrisp cracker
salt, pepper, garlic, thyme to taste

Mix ingredients together, form into patties and fry in heated coconut or other oil. Brown on both sides. Good with mustard or low-carb tartar sauce

~~ Peanut Butter-Coconut Cookies~~

1 C Almond Flour
3/4 C Coconut
26 packets Splenda
1 C Natural Peanut Butter
1 scoop protein powder
2 Jumbo Eggs
1/4 C Ground Flax Seed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
Mix ingredients together. Form into 24 balls on a baking sheet. Use a fork to press into cookie shape. Bake for 8 minutes.

Makes 24
Nutritional breakdown per cookie:
120 cal/9.3g fat/2.6 net carbs/5.2 g protein
(1.6 g fiber per cookie)
You could have 4 of these for a meal, but the calorie count would be on the high side for one meal - 480 cal. - 2 cookies with 10 grams of protein from another source would be better (like a serving of cottage cheese)

Here's a link to a great thread on the main board about make-ahead items for Atkin's peeps :
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...727#post552727

Last edited by Bellibean; 01-05-2003 at 10:37 AM..
Bellibean is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2003, 04:01 AM   #2
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
These are BFL/BRx nutrition though some especially the [COLOR=green]Green Bean Chili[/COLOR], may be suitable for LC as well.

This is a great original recipe from AHM (Heather). Try this once and you'll be hooked!

Buffalo Black Soybean Chili

This is VERY easy and takes no more than an hour or so to cook. Have things chopped and ready though, as to be ready to throw them in when needed. Also, it freezes and travels well. I love taking it to parties and announcing what's in it after it's gone! No one ever can believe it's buffalo and soybeans!

2 tbl. olive oil
2 cups chopped onions (vidalia or red are good)
1 tbl. chopped garlic
1 pound ground buffalo (or beef if you can't find buffalo)
1 tbl. cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano (preferably mexican)
2 tbl. (or to taste) red chile powder (I use new mexican chimayo, sometimes ancho, but you can use whatever kind you like)
2 cups chopped tomatoes (either fresh or canned are fine)
1 can Eden black soy beans
2-5 chipotle chile en adobo with some of the sauce, chopped (to taste!)
2 cups chicken stock (or to taste just enough to provide a little extra liquid)

In a 2 quart saucepan, saute onions in olive oil until wilted down, add in garlic and saute a couple minutes. Add in ground buffalo, breaking up with a spoon. When buffalo is almost cooked through, add in tomatoes, chipotles, and spices and simmer a few minutes. Add in beans. Simmer a few more minutes and then pour in chicken stock (or substitute beef stock or water). The longer you simmer, the more blended the flavor would be, so, depending on time you can use more or less stock but you will need to cook it down until there is just a little extra liquid. Add in salt to taste in the middle of the simmering process.

Serve with lowfat cheddar, avocado, chopped tomatoes, onions, fat free sour cream as you wish.

*Note - the more chile, the hotter it is, so add to taste. After years in New Mexico, we like it pretty hot.

Also, you could use regular black beans if you'd rather (my GI system prefers these though!). However, if you are using dried and not canned, add the soaked beans prior to the salt, chipotles or tomatoes - the beans WILL NOT SOFTEN otherwise (neat trick, huh?) Obviously it isn't a problem with canned. Also, it will take longer to cook until the beans are soft and you will need more stock. I have also added fresh corn kernals which is REALLY excellent!

This is an authorized BFL recipe that I got from a BFL party my trainer had a while back. It is very good!

White Chili

This recipe is perfect for those nights when you want a healthy meal but you aren't in the mood to cook.

4 servings

2 lbs. chicken
48 oz.-1 jar white beans
16 oz.-2 jars medium salsa
2 T cumin

Steam the chicken, then cut into small cubes. Place in a saucepan and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir together over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Serve with a salad.

This one sounds awful, IMHO, but I had it at a friend's home several years ago and was sold on it! It's been a regular for me ever since! I think it's great for BRx cycle 3 when your yellow carbs are low!

[COLOR=green]Green Bean Chili[/COLOR]

BRxers, this is perfect for Cycle 3! It may sound a bit strange but it tastes great!

Ingredients:

1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey breast *
1 large onion, chopped
1 large can (28 oz.) tomatoes
2 14. 5 oz. cans green beans
2 cans sliced mushrooms
1 t each salt, pepper and chili powder or to taste
1 T garlic powder

Brown meat in dutch oven, drain. Add onion, then remaining ingredients. Simmer for about 20 minutes. This always tastes even better the next day! I've used both fresh and canned veggies for this.

* If you use turkey breast, try adding 1 cup of beef broth or bouillon.

Serves 6, aproximately 1 1/3 cups per serving.

Per Serving:

Calories: 165

Total Fat: 4.2g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Carbohydrates: 22g
Fiber: 6g
Protein: 19g

[COLOR=orangered]Orange Sweet Potatoes[/COLOR]

Peel 4 large sweet potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes. Place in a large saucepan and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10-12 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain. Add the zest and juice from 1 orange, 2 tablespoons butter (we can sub Butter Buds), and a dash of salt. Beat with an electric mixer until the potatoes are light & fluffy.

This is another authorized BFL recipe that I got from a BFL party I attended. It's the favorite breakfast of Bill Phillips!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Proatmeal

1 serving

2/3 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup water
1 teaspoon natural peanut butter
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
1 serving sugar-free, fat-free hot cocoa mix
1/8 cup skim milk

Combine oats with water in a microwave-safe bowl (use a big enough bowl so it doesn't overflow when it boils). Cook on High for 4 minutes. Add peanut butter, stirring until the peanut butter "melts" and appears smooth. Add protein powder, cocoa mix & skim milk. Stir & enjoy!

From Maybellene, this one is wonderful!!!

Baked Chicken With Stuffing

Stuffing

3C Quick Oats or Old Fashioned Oats
1C chopped onion
1/2C chopped celery
1/2C green bell pepper
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (undiluted) try one of the flavored ones. I used the herbed...
1C chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp ground sage
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 taspoon ground black pepper, optional

Chicken

1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tablespoon seasoned salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper, optional
3 pounds chicken pieces.

Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. IN a alarge bowl, combine oats, onion, celery, green pepper, soup, chicken broth, sage, garlic powder, salt and pepper; mix well. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinke garlic power, salt and pepper on chicken pieces. Place chicken on top of oat mixture; cover tightly with foil. Bake 1 hour or until chicken juisces run clear. Remove foil; bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is golden brown.

Serves 8

I (Maybellene) opted for pork loin on this. I can't believe I found this very normal recipe and its BFL OK!!! YUM YUM!!! eat the grub...

Stuffing: calories 107, fat 3.25, carbs 16, protein 4

Chicken: calories 157, fat 3.1, carbs 1, protein 29.5

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 04-06-2003 at 01:49 PM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 04:26 AM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Gwyneth
Stats: 146/126/126
WOE: Moderate carbs
Start Date: 04/01/2001
My mother gave me this wonderful (Body Rx)recipe:

1 (or 2 or 3) onion, 1 clove of garlic, 1 can of tuna, 2 or 3 eggs, tomato sauce (optional), green beans (optional).

Slice the onion(s) and crush the garlic into some olive oil or coconut oil, fry a bit, then add tuna, mix altoghether, beat eggs together and poor over tuna mixture. Let it harden a bit, then scramble it all up, add beans and tomato sauce if you like. It's yummy and so green!!

Instead of garlic you can also add chilli paste or curry powder.
Enjoy!!

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face…
You must do the thing you cannot do."
— Eleanor Roosevelt

My C1, C2, C3 and maintenance pictures
Gwyneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:06 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: liteweight
Start Date: 8/31/2004
LiteCakes or LiteWaffles

LiteCakes (protein pancakes)

4 egg whites
1/2 cup oats
tbsp of CC (cottage cheese)
tsp of cinnamon (I love cinnamon!)
optional: 1/2 banana, walnuts, or cocoa instead of cinnamon if you want choc pancakes

Whip it all up in a blender (put your egg whites in first!)
Make pancakes like normal from this batter. You can spray with the spray-butter, and if you like use SF syrup (log cabin, vermont, or other versions--can't believe I forgot the name of my favorite one--but I usually just eat them dry now).

Variation - make protein waffles instead:

4 egg whites
1/2 cup oats
1 scoop protein powder (or 20g protein)
1/4 cup CC
cinnamon or cocoa
walnuts
1 small banana

Spray a single waffle-iron maker with Pam, pour in 1/2 cup of batter, light turns green when done. These tear into 4 triangles at the seams and make a great snack or portable meal. This above recipe makes at least 4 waffles and 2 is a serving. These are great dry (better than the pan/lite cakes), but you can still use syrup and spray butter if you must.
liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 09:13 AM   #5

Ways to Liven Up Protein Shakes!

Plain shakes can be so boring...Here's a few flavorful ideas..add any of the following to a serving of protein powder, water, ice & sweetener to taste, then blend. If you like them a bit thicker, add a tiny bit of xanthan after you've blended the other ingredients. Use too much and you'll end up with glue! BTW, these ideas are taken from recipes at www.eatprotein.com that made me a shake addict long before I dreamed of bodybuilding!

[COLOR=orangered] Pumpkin:[/COLOR]

2 blocks of frozen pumpkin (ice cube size)
1/4 t pumpkin pie spice
1 t sugar free maple syrup or maple extract to taste
pinch of salt.

[COLOR=chocolate]Butterfinger:[/COLOR]

1 T cocoa powder
2 T natural peanut butter

[COLOR=green]York Peppermint Patty: [/COLOR]

1 T cocoa powder
Peppermint extract to taste (usually 1/8-1/4t)

This has got to be my all-time favorite flavor for anything using protein powder!

[COLOR=firebrick]Mounds:[/COLOR]

1 T cocoa powder
Coconut extract to taste

[COLOR=chocolate]Chocolate-[/COLOR][COLOR=sandybrown]Banana[/COLOR]

1 T cocoa powder
1/2 t banana or banana extract or to taste

[COLOR=blue]Blueberry:[/COLOR]

1/2 cup blueberries
Lemon or coconut extract to taste (I always use the coconut)

[COLOR=red]Egg[/COLOR][COLOR=green]nog:[/COLOR]

1 tsp. Rum extract
pinch of salt
You may want to add additional sweetner
top with nutmeg

You may not want to wait for the holidays to try this one!

[COLOR=red]Strawberry-[/COLOR][COLOR=coral]Peach: [/COLOR]

1/2 - 3/4 cup fruit (combo of strawberries & peaches, frozen or fresh)
1/4-1/2 t almond extract
1 1/2 T dried mint (fresh would work, too)

This one is so good I can't begin to describe it! Try it once and you'll be addicted!
Old 05-03-2003, 03:20 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BFL Chick
Stats: 2001:192 2008:132
Start Date: 1/01 Atkins
Tuna with Homemade salsa

I chop up lots of tomatoes, onions, parsley, jalepenos....I add some lemon juice to the mix too. I add this to tuna instead of Mayo to make BFL and BRx authorized tuna salad....Yummmm
BFL Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:11 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
SHanny Cakes

Very much like Litecakes but has a variation for muffins that are DELICOUS!!

Originally Posted by kinook180 on 08-19-2003 09:16 AM:

Shannycakes -This batter makes one meal on Body For Life for a woman.
4 egg whites
1/4 C cottage cheese
1/2 C oats
four packets of Splenda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Blend in a blender until cottage cheese is smooth. Cook on a Pam-sprayed skillet like pancakes and enjoy! You can also make these into muffins by pouring batter halfway into cups of a muffin tin and baking at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Variations:
Banana Shannycakes: Add a 1/2 banana and cut the oatmeal to 1/3 C.
Chocolate Almond Shannycakes: Omit cinnamon and add 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa, two extra packets of Splenda, and 1 tsp almond extract. Increase vanilla by 1/2 tsp.
Apple Pie Shannycakes: Cut oats to 1/3 C, add 1/2 jar of pureed apples (baby food) and add 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
Pumpkin Shannycakes: Add 1/4 C canned pumpkin, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp of ginger and 1/8 tsp of cloves.
Lemon Poppyseed Shannycakes: Add 1 tsp lemon extract and 1 1/2 tsp of poppyseeds. Decrease cinnamon to a dash.
Strawberry Shannycakes: Add 3 Tbsp of nonfat sugar free strawberry jam to batter.

Ileens notes: GREAT as muffins. I used 2 tsp of Davinci's SF vanilla syrup in place of the splenda and vanilla.

1tsp of baking powder to make them rise nice and high

I also used paper muffin cups. I SUGGEST you spray them as well because mine stuck to the papper. The recipe makes 6 muffins. IF you ONLY make the 1 serving then be sure to fill the EMPTY muffin tins 1/2 each with water. It aids in the baking of the others.

Last edited by inatic; 09-14-2003 at 07:13 PM..
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:22 PM   #8

Never eat more than you can lift. ~ Miss Piggy

These recipes are from the week of August 16 Tickle Your Tastebuds Challenge. Some are LC, others are more BFL-friendly and some can be tweaked either way. A little reminder: If you're counting calories, grams, carbs, etc., please do your own calculations using your own ingredients because different brands can vary enough to make a difference. Please check ingredients before buying new things. You don't want to be in the middle of making something and realize it contains something you're trying to avoid.

Posted by Marebear:

When I first started back again eating healthily this summer I was making at least 1 new recipe a week. I need variety or I get bored. My goal now is to find new and easy crock pot recipes that I can get ready in 5 min or so in the morning and then I will have supper ready after I get done lifting after work. So I'll look for a good crock pot recipe.

I am making one of the new recipes I found this summer today. It is rather high in fat, but since it is my free day I'm going to treat myself. I found the recipe somewhere online. It is really, really good I think. I made it for my sister and she wasn't too impressed, she thought it was too spicy. But if you like it hot, this is for you Also, the first time I made them I ate them for supper and sweated all night while I slept LOL so now I eat them for lunch. I figure all the sweating and heat has gotta burn some calories!!

[COLOR=blue]LC Poppers[/COLOR]

10 jalapeno peppers
8 oz cream cheese (could use lite)
10 strips bacon cut in 1/2 (prolly could use turkey bacon)

Cut peppers in half and clean out seeds. (Hint - Now I wear gloves and don't use water until the very end. The water seems to do something to the peppers that and makes me have a crazy allergic reaction and my nose runs and I can't breath so I use the water just at the end to rinse them off) Fill the pepper halves with cream cheese and wrap with the bacon strip. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350.

Posted by inatic:

I LOVE zuchini noodles. Just had them last night.

I had it with a recipe from my mom for chicken cacciatore.Very easy recipe too so I'll share. Could probably be done in the crock but have not tried it yet.

[COLOR=blue]Chicken Cacciatore [/COLOR]

1 frying chicken cut up into pieces.
1 clove of garlic(i use more)
1/2 can of tomato paste
1 onion diced
1/2 dry vermouth(i used one from the supermarket or use chicken broth.)
salt and pepper
1/2 lb mushrooms(Optional) sliced
water as needed

Saute onions,garlic and chicken.(if using musrooms saute separate )Remove chicken from the pan
add vermouth and reduce till almost dry. add tomato paste,salt and pepper. Return chicken to the pan . Cover and Simmer until tender. about 30-35 minutes.**If there is not enough liquid add a bit(1/4 c) of water while simmering. Do not thin too much. Add mushrooms just long enough to heat.

Can be served with brown rice,pasta or zuchinni noodles or spaghetti squash is great as well.

Alfredo Sauce (with fettuccine) From cookinglight.com

We used half-and-half instead of whipping cream and decreased the amount of butter and cheese ever so slightly to lower the fat by about 10 grams per serving. Atkins folks this is perfect!

**of course us low carbers are going to nix the pasta and maybe use the zuchs or spaghetti squash instead

[COLOR=blue]Alfredo Sauce[/COLOR] (with fettuccine) From cookinglight.com

[COLOR=red]INGREDIENTS:[/COLOR]

1 pound uncooked fettuccine
1 tablespoon butter
1-1/4 cups half-and-half(***could try to use some skim milk to bring down the fat some more.
3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

[COLOR=red]INSTRUCTIONS:[/COLOR]

1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half-and-half, cheese, salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; add pasta, tossing gently to coat.

[COLOR=red]NUTRITIONAL INFO:[/COLOR]

CALORIES 427 (31% from fat); FAT 14.6g (sat 7.8g, mono 4.2g, poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 17.2g; CARB 56.5g; FIBER 2.1g; CHOL 105mg; IRON 3.6mg; SODIUM 479mg; CALC 245mg

[COLOR=red]YIELD:[/COLOR]

6 servings (serving size: 1-1/2 cups)

© Copyright Southern Progress Corporation, 2000. All rights reserved. Privacy policy

this one was posted in Dana carpenders lowcarbezine. I think I would really like to try this one.. Maybe today!!!

Here's a neat little side dish to serve with virtually anything grilled, especially something with a South American or Caribbean influence.

[COLOR=blue]Sao Paolo "Rice"[/COLOR]

3 slices bacon
1/3 cup diced red onion
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 head cauliflower
2 tablespoons raisins
1/2 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

First chop the bacon into small bits and start it frying over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet -- or better yet, just snip it straight into the skillet with a good kitchen shears. While the bacon starts frying, cut up your onion and pepper, and crush your garlic. When a little fat has cooked out of the bacon, add the cut up vegetables, stir them around, and let them start sauteing with the bacon.

Next, whack your cauliflower into chunks that will fit your food processor's feed chute -- don't bother to core it first, just trim off the leaves, and shred up the core. Run the cauliflower through the shredding blade. When the pepper and onion have been cooking for 5 or 6 minutes, add the shredded cauliflower to the skillet and stir it in.

Now, using your kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut each raisin in 2 pieces -- I know, this seems tedious, but the raisins are by far the highest carb ingredient, so I've kept the quantity quite small. To distribute them through the dish, you should really cut them up. Stir the raisins into the dish, add the butter, and continue to cook the whole thing, stirring every few minutes and covering between stirrings, for 7 or 8 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender-crisp. Don't let the cauliflower get mushy, or you'll lose all illusion of rice! Salt and pepper to taste, stir in the parsley, and serve.

4-5 servings. Assuming 5, each serving will have 6 grams of carbohydrate and 1 gram of fiber, for a usable carb count of 5 grams. 2 grams of protein.

**If you'd like to increase the raisins to 3 tablespoons, you'll add 2 grams of carb per serving, for a total of 7 grams of usable carb, assuming 5 servings.

Posted by DiamondDeb:

From the cookbook Stella's Kitchen by Stella Juarez www.stellaskitchen.com

This isn't a "low carb" recipe, per say-just check out that low fat content-but it is low in carbs.

I had Stella's E-Z Italian Chicken Stew for lunch. It's good, but it sure is WHITE! There's 14 oz of stewed tomato's in it but it could use another can, maybe of diced tomatos. It needed to have water added to it. Maybe it wouldn't with the extra tomato. I'll make it again but with the tweak. And, yes, it is easy.

Stella calls this a 30-minute meal & says you can make it with fresh or frozen chicken. Just allow a bit more time if using frozen chicken. As the chicken cooks, you'll be able to easily pull it apart into bite-sized pieces with a knife or fork & a pair of tongs or move it to a cutting board for cubing.

[COLOR=red]E-Z Italian Chicken Stew[/COLOR]

12 servings

[COLOR=blue]Ingredients[/COLOR]

3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubrd
1 14 oz. can stewed tomatoes
3 T powdered, salt-free chicken bouillon (available at health food stores)
1 carrot, peeled, cut in bite-size pieces
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped

[COLOR=blue]Directions[/COLOR]

Bring tomatoes, bouillon, Italian seasoning & chicken to a boil in a large pot. Reduce heat & simmer while preparing remaining vegetables. Add vegetables & simmer until chicken is no longer pink and potatoes & carrots are soft.

[COLOR=blue]Nutritiional Info
per serving[/COLOR]

Calories: 153
Carbs: 7.9g
Fiber: 1.2g
Protein: 27.2g
Fat: 1.4g

Also from Stella's Kitchen:

[COLOR=red] Chocolate Protein Pudding Pops AKA [/COLOR] [COLOR=sienna]FUDGSICLES![/COLOR]

Next to find someone around your house is creating ice cream, try this recipe for chocolate pudding pops. Yes, these really to taste like Fudgsicles! My Popsicle container only makes 4 so I filled an ice cube tray with the rest. They're just the right size for a quick treat! But next time I'm going to spray the inside of the mold with Pam. I broke one handle trying to unmold it!

[COLOR=blue]8 servings

Ingredients:
[/COLOR]

1 box sugar-free chocolate pudding mix
2 cups skim milk*
2 scoops chocolate protein powder**
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

[color=blue] Directions: [/color]

Make pudding with skim milk in accordance with producer's directions. Once pudding begins to set, stir in the protein powder and blend well. Spoon mixture into homemade Popsicle containers and freeze. For handy, bite-sized treats, use ice trays to freeze these iced protein pops.

[Color=blue] Nutritional Info:
per serving for added ingredients [/color]

Calories: 59
Carbohydrates: 7.6 g
Protein: 6.5 g
Fat: .4 g
Fiber: trace

*I don't drink milk & didn't want to any so I made some with the powdered milk I bought for the protein bars.

**The brand of protein used in this recipe contains 200 calories, 4 g carbs, 44 g protein, 2 g fat and 2 g fiber. (this is not what I used)

Posted by Kingschild:

Oooo..la..la....

I made the peanut butter recipe that Ilene suggested, but instead of syrup, I added 1/2 and 1/2. Oh my goodness! It was like a creamy, rich pudding. Yummmm....

Here's what I did...

1 scoop EAS Whey Chocolate Protein mix
1 Tbs. peanut butter
1/4 cup 1/2 and 1/2

Mix it all together and enjoy!

7.5 carbs --- 25.5 protein

liteweight's tweak: If you want a lighter version (for those not doing atkin's style) of the protein/pb mix Mysti just referred to, you can use sugar-free soy milk or skim milk instead. (It's decent without the pb too--add a tsp of unsweeten cocoa too--like icing. ).

Posted by Michaela:

LOVE cooking Light.. my favorite magazine!!!
one of my favorite ideas from there is..

make a bed of salad, add canteloupe chunks, mandarin oranges, prosciutto ham thats been baked till crisp and cut into little pieces..toss in fat free raspberry vinegrette lots of fresh ground black pepper..and top with 1 cup grilled cajun spiced shrimp... its AWESOME!!
you can use other fruits.. any kind of berry or even bananas work..
this has become a favorite of mine..
I do BFL eating plan.

Posted by nl_schober:

[COLOR=blue]The BEST viniagrette[/COLOR]

1/2 cup oil (olive is good)
1T mustard (Dijon is good)
3 T vinegar or lemon juice
1/2 t salt & 1/4 t pepper

Posted by Marebear:

I made some low carb zucchini muffins. I wanted something I can take for a snack or have for breakfast that is quick. I can make these and freeze them. I used the recipe from the Atkin's site, but substituted whey protein powder for ground almonds (since I had some on hand). They were good, actually better than I thought they would be. I've tried other low carb baked recipes that were icky!! I plugged it all in ****** and came up with totals. The next time I make them I'm going to substitute sf applesauce for the oil. It will have 1/2 the calories (and only adds another 1 g carb) and I can eat 2.

[COLOR=blue]Zucchini Muffins[/COLOR]

1 cup (scant ) Atkins Bake Mix (I used CarbSense)
1 cup whey protein powder
1 1/2 cups granular sugar substitute
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup canola oil
4 eggs
1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Heat oven to 350º F. Grease mufin tins; set aside. In a large bowl whisk together Bake Mix, protein powder, sugar substitute, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. In a medium bowl, mix vegetable oil, eggs, zucchini, and vanilla extract.

2. Pour zucchini mixture into bake mix mixture. Mix well. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 15-18 min until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

Servings: 12
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake/Cook time: 15-18 min

Cals: 169
Carbohydrates: 2.6 g
Fat: 12 g
Protein: 13 g

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 08-23-2003 at 06:28 PM..
Old 09-09-2003, 07:41 PM   #9

Here's Stella's original protein bar recipe with my tweaks in bold. I am eating this for 2 meals a day right now while I'm on the computer in training class.

[COLOR=blue]Protein Nutrition Bar Recipe [/COLOR]

by Stella Juarez
Makes 10 bars

A nice little snack at a mere fraction of the cost of packaged protein bars and none of their glycerin, preservatives, or sugar, these low-fat bars are rich in fiber and taste great with a light spread of natural peanut butter across the top. Served with a protein drink, they make a well-balanced meal.

[COLOR=blue]Ingredients:[/COLOR]

3 1/2 cups quick oats old fashioned oats-less processed.
1 1/2 cups powdered non-fat milk
1 cup sugar-free (diabetic) pancake syrup (Cozy Cottage, Cary's or Howard's brand) SF Log Cabin or DaVinci's. Don't use one w/aspartame.
2 egg whites, beaten 1 whole egg. I have trouble getting enough fat.
1/4 cup orange juice water
1 tsp Vanilla
1/4 c. natural applesauce* 3/4 cup to make it moist
4 scoops chocolate or vanilla protein powder 7 scoops of 20g protein powder
1 tsp stevia powder

[COLOR=blue]Directions:[/COLOR]

Preheat oven to 325°. Mix all dry ingredients in bowl and blend well. In separate bowl, combine eggwhites, orange juice, applesauce, & the sugar-free syrup and blend well. Stir liquids into dry ingredients until blended. The consistency will be thick and similar to cookie dough. Spread batter on baking sheet coated with non-stick spray. Use a 9x12 baking dish if you want a thicker bar. Bake until edges are crisp and browned. Cut into 10 bars and store in airtight container or freeze.

*If you find you want a more moist consistency, add a little more applesauce to the recipe for softness.

**The brand of protein used in this recipe contained 200 calories, 4 g carb, 44 g protein, 2 g fat, and 2 g fiber.
The brand of protein used in Deb's recipe contained 110 calories, 3 g carb, 20 g protein, 2 g fat, and 1 g fiber

[COLOR=blue]Nutritional Information:

Per Serving:[/COLOR]
Calories- 140 241
Carbs- 23g 32g
Protein- 15g 21g
Fat- .5g 4g
Fiber- 4g 3g

I've also made this with vanilla protein powder & cocoa-not sure how much, til it looked good! I add extracts for extra flavor. I've tried peppermint, banana & coconut so far. Yum! Every batch gets tweaked a little more & it just keeps getting better!

I plan to tweak more & take some of the protein out for now while I do Physique Transformations. That will mean I don't need as much apple sauce either.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:54 AM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: tonil
Leenie Muffins Basic Recipe (makes 6):

Blender ingredients up (don't put oats in first) and then pour into lightly sprayed muffin tins. Bake at 350 for 10ish minutes.

5 egg whites 83cal/ 0F/2C/17P
.25 C 1% cottage cheese 41cal/ 1F/2C/7P
.5 C oats (not steel cut) 156cal/ 3F/27C/6P
1 tsp baking powder 2cal/ 0F/1C/0P
1-2 tbsp splenda granular 6cal/ 0F/2C/0P

For Lemon Poppies
2 tbsp lemon juice 15cal/ 0F/5C/0P
1tbsp poppy seeds 47cal/ 4F/2C/2P
1 tsp vanilla extract 12cal/ 0F/1C/0P
363cal 7F/41C/33P 40/40/20 ratios

For Banana Nut Muffins
Basic recipe plus
1 tsp banana extract
.5 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp chopped walnuts (stir in by hand)
347cal 8F/34C/33P 40/40/20 ratios

For BlueBerry Muffins
1 tsp vanilla extract
.5 C blueberries (add these by hand).
340 cal 3F/44C/31P 40/40/20 ratios

For Coconut Surprise Muffins
.5 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp sugar free DaVinci coconut flavouring
2 tbsp dried shredded coconut (unsweetened)
333 cal 6F/35C/31P 40/40/20 ratios

For Ham & Cheese Muffins
omit splenda
1 slice extra lean ham
1 oz reduced fat cheese (I like Trader Joes -- no funky stuff in them)
pepper to taste
351 cal 6F/33C/43P 50/30/20 ratios

Easy to reduce the calories by cutting egg whites to 4 and oats to .33 C.

Hope y'all enjoy the Leenie Muffin Experience as much as I have!

Last edited by tonil; 10-04-2003 at 12:31 PM..
tonil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 07:08 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Leenie
Stats: 238/213/155
WOE: Medifast
Start Date: July 26, 2011
I just used the muffin recipe and added

1 tsp orange extract

1/4 C Cranberries (adds 15 cals, 3.5 carbs, 1 gr fiber, 2.5 sugar)

Mix all ingredients then fold in coarsely chopped cranberries.

These are another delish dish
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 01:42 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Salmon with Fresh Pineapple Salsa

2 Cups coarsely chopped fresh pineapple
½ Cup chopped red sweet pepper
¼ Cup finely chopped red onion
3 Tbsp limejuice
1 Tbsp snipped fresh cilantro or chives
1 Tbsp honey
1 small fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 1-pound fresh skinless salmon fillet, 1 inch thick
¼ tsp ground cumin

1. For salsa, in a medium bowl combine pineapple, sweet pepper, onion, 2 Tbsp of the limejuice, the cilantro, honey, and jalapeno pepper. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours.

2. Lightly grease the rack of an indoor electric grill or lightly coat with cooking spray. Preheat grill. Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 4 serving size pieces. Brush both sides of fish with the remaining limejuice and sprinkle w/ cumin.

3. Place fish on the grill rack, tucking under any thin edges. If using a covered grill, close lid. Grill until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. (For a covered grill, allow 4 to 6 minutes. For uncovered grill, allow 8 to 12 minutes, gently turning once halfway through grilling.) Serve the fish with salsa. Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional info according to Better Homes and Gardens:

170 calories
4 g fat
1g saturated fat
20mg cholesterol
70mg sodium
17g carbohydrate
1g fiber
17g protein

Vitamin A - 16%
Vitamin C - 75%
Calcium - 1%
Iron - 9%

Tip: Consider making a double batch.

(When plugged into LifeForm, the above numbers were pretty close--slightly higher protein amount and slightly higher fat amounts than listed above.)
Old 10-09-2003, 03:53 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amelyah
Stats: 300/294/150
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 06/21/10
There is an Eating for Life Cookbook coming soon
All recipes have Bill's "seal of approval".
Here is a link that has 12 recipes previewed from the cookbook.

http://www.highpointmedia.com/conten...index.asp?id=4

Recipes
Santa Fe Soup
Chicken Parmesan
Asian Beef Stir-Fry
Salmon Salad
Chicken Pomodoro
Fish Tacos
Spaghetti & Meatballs
Zesty Italian Chicken
Cool Taco Salad
Tuna Salad
Chicken Salad
Chicken Pizza
Amelyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 11:34 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Protein Brownies

Protein Brownies

8 egg whites
1 C low fat cottage cheese
2 C oats
4 scoops protein powder (I used vanilla)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C Splenda
1/4 C unsweetened cocoa
1/2 C water

Blend all together in blender or with hand mixer. Spead in 9 x 12 cake pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 20 min.
Cut into 12 bars.

Each is:

130 calories
fat 2 gr
protein 14 gr
carbs 14 gr
fiber 2 gr
sugar 1.5 gr
Old 10-19-2003, 11:35 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Protein Pumpkin Bars

Pumpkin Bars

8 egg whites
1/2 C lowfat cottage cheese
2 C oats
1 C canned pumpkin
4 scoops vanilla protein powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 C splenda
1/2 C water

Mix all together and spread in 9 x 12 pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 20 min. Cut into 12 bars

Each:

124 calories
fat 1.5
protein 12.5
carbs 14.5
fiber 2
sugar 2.5

These turned out nice and moist and very good!

Old 11-16-2003, 03:18 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Chicken Stew

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 stalks celery, cut into bite-size pieces
1 carrot, peeled, cut into bite-size pieces
1 small onion, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (14 ½-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1 (14-ounce) can low-salt chicken broth
½ cup fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces

1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
2 chicken breast with ribs (about 1 ½ pounds total)
1 (15-ounce) can organic kidney beans, drained (rinsed if not organic)

Heat the oil in a heavy 5 ½ quart sauce pan over medium heat. Add the celery, carrot, and onion. Saute the vegetables until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, chicken broth, basil, tomato paste, bay leaf, and thyme. Add the chicken breasts; press to submerge. Bring the cooking liquid to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently uncovered until the chicken is almost cooked through, turning the chicken breasts over and stirring the mixture occasionally, about 25 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the chicken breasts to a work surface and cool for 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Add the kidney beans to the pot and simmer until the liquid has reduced into a stew consistency, about 10 minutes. Discard the skin and bones from the chicken breasts. Shred or cut the chicken into bite- size pieces. Return the chicken meat to the stew. Bring the stew just to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Makes 4 – 6 Servings.

1 ½ Cup =

Calories 199
Fat 5
Saturated Fat 1
Carbohydrate 12
Dietary Fiber 4
Sugars 4
Protein 24

*recipe from FoodNetwork.com
Old 12-05-2003, 05:29 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Coconut Oil Recipes

From Smasty:

1. Chocolate Pecan Fudge:

4 T melted C Oil
3 squares of premium baking chocolate, melted
3 T of ground flax seeds
2 T of shredded coconut
Chopped pecans
Scoop of PP
2 packets splenda

line an 8x8 pan w/ foil, spread in pan and refrigerate, cut into 8 bars

2. Vanilla Walnut fudge

4 T melted c oil
3 T of ground flax seeds
2 T of shredded coconut
scoop of PP
1 tsp vanilla
2 packets splenda
1 T. Davinci french vanilla SF syrup
chopped walnuts

pour into an 8x8 pan like above

Other ideas: maple fudge, orange fudge, german chocolate frosting fudge, Leenies mint fudge (post a recipe!), mocha fudge....what else?! Just got to thank Leenie for starting this off with a great recipe....this stuff is wonderful! I can't believe it's health food!

S.

p.s. I actually put a lot of unsweetened shredded coconut in my batches, probably 1/4 c, also, the vanilla fudge is wonderful!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Diamond Deb:

Mounds Bar

1 serving chocolate protein powder
2 T melted virgin coconut oil
a few drops of coconut extract
1-2 packets Splenda
warm water to reach desired conistency. A little will make it stiff and lumpy, more will make flat thin candy.

Mix. Plop between wax paper and smoosh. Let harden in refrigerator or freezer (if you're in a hurry )

My variations:

York Peppermint Patty

Add mint extract instead of coconut

Eggnog

Use vanilla protein powder, a few drops of rum extract and a couple shakes of nutmeg

Peanut Butter Lumps

Add a couple tablespoons of natual peanut butter to your chocolate protein powder mix

Lemon Drops

Vanilla protein powder with a few drops of lemon extract

Chocolate Banana

Yep, banana extract...

EDIT: I just realized I have caramel SF syrup! I can almost taste it now...Chocolate Caramel Chews!!!

The flavors are limitless! I'm waiting for my next gallon of coconut oil to arrive, but I've got LOTS of extracts to try, as well as a few great flaors of DaVinci's. I can't wait to make a mocha one.

My Tip: This stuff is so good you may find yourself eating more than you should in one day. To avoid this, I make 1 serving at a time. I always make sure I use most of my oil for stir-frying so I get all those great fiber-filled veggies in!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-03-2004, 01:57 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tuna and White Bean Salad

Tuna and White Bean Salad

· 6 oz. can Tuna drained
· 1 Cup cooked cannellini or great northern beans
· 1 vine ripened tomato, seeded and chopped
· 2 scallions, thinly sliced
· 1 Tbsp lemon juice
· 1 tsp olive oil

In a bowl, flake tuna with a fork. Gently stir in beans, tomato, scallions, lemon juice and olive oil. Season with ground black pepper.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:05 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amelyah
Stats: 300/294/150
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 06/21/10
Here are the new recipes I have tried this week. All are very good and each is a complete BFL meal. Nutritional info was not given for any of the recipes.

BFL Beef and Broccoli Soup

Servings:6
Prep time: 1 hr, 15 min

Ingedients:
1 TBSP olive oil
6 portions top sirloin (about 1 1/2 pound)
cut into 1 inch cubes
4 c low-fat reduced sodium beef broth
1 c water
1 onion chopped
1 stalk celery sliced
1 carrot sliced
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c pearl barley
1 bay leaf
10 oz frozen green beans
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
10 oz frozen green peas

Directions:
1. In a large pot, over medium-high heat,warm the olive oil. Add beef cubes and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned on each side.
2. Stir in beef broth, water, onion, celery, carrot, oregano, black
pepper, garlic, barley, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
3. Stir in green beans, tomatoes, and peas. Simmer, covered, until veggies are tender, about another 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
4. Ladle a portion of soup (about 2 cups) into a bowl. Serve and enjoy!

BFL Mom's Chicken Enchiladas

Servings:4
Prep time: 50 min

Ingredients:
4 portions chicken breast (about 1 pound)
4 green onions, sliced
2 TBSP fresh cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
3 cans (10 oz) green enchilada sauce
8 corn tortillas
1 c reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded (I used the Kraft FF and it was yummy)
2 c lettuce, shredded
1/2 c salsa
1/2 c light sour cream
1 tomato, diced
1 can (2 oz) ripe olives, diced

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
2. Place chicken in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook chicken until no longer pink in the center (about 15 minutes). Drain and let cool slightly. Slice or pull apart with 2 forks. Set it aside.
3. Lightly spray a large skillit with cooking spray and place over
medium-high heat. Add green onions, cilantro, and jalapeno and saute for 2 min. Add shredded chicken and 1 can of enchilada sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
4. Pour the 2 remaining cans of enchilada sauce into a medium bowl and microwave until warm, about 2 minutes. Dip each tortilla into the sauce and fill with 1/8 the chicken mixture. Roll up and place seam-side down into prepared baking dish.
5. Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas and top with shredded cheese. Bake until enchiladas are heated through and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
6. Divide lettuce onto 4 plates and place a portion of enchiladas on top. Top with a spoonful of salsa, a dollop of sour cream, tomatos and olives.

BFL Anyday Sundae

Servings: 2
Prep time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
1/2 c skim milk
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
2 c frozen banana slices (about 2 med. bananas)
4 tsp chocolate syrup
4 TBSP FF Reddi-wip
2 tsp chopped nuts
2 marachino cherries

Directions:
1. Pour skim milk into the blender. Add PP and blend on high for 15 seconds.
2. Add frozen banana slices and blend on high for 45 sec or until
smooth (stopping blended to stir with a spoon and scrape sides if
needed).
3. Spoon into 2 dessert bowls. Top each with 2 tsp chocolate syrup,2 TBSP FF Reddi-wip, 1 tsp chopped nuts, and 1 marachino cherry.
Amelyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 04:51 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JAG307
BFL Golden Pancakes

This has become a favorite of mine!

Servings: 2
Preparation Time: 15 minutes

1 cup of uncooked whole-grain oats (non instant)
6 egg whites
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
¼ tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
2 packets of sugar substitute
½ cup sugar free maple syrup
¼ cup mixed berries

1.Lightly coat a non-stick skillet of griddle with cooking spray, place over medium heat.

2.In a blender (I did it in a bowl and it worked) combine eggs, oats, cottage cheese, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and sugar substitute. Blend on medium heat until smooth, about 1 min.

3.Pour batter, about ¼ cup at a time onto hot skillet. Cook pancake until bubbly on top and dry around edges, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook other side until golden brown, about 2 minutes.

4.While pancakes are cooking, microwave maple syrup until warm, about 2 seconds.

5.Place a portion of pancakes on 2 separate plates. Top with warm maple syrup and berries.
JAG307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 05:25 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yummy Chocolate Banana Pudding

Combine 1 scoop chocolate protein powder with 1 Tablespoon sugar-free pudding mix. Add hot water drop but drop until it becomes a thick paste. Add a little more water to have a slightly thinner texture. Add 1/2 - 1 mashed banana and heat through. Eat hot or chilled.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:32 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 177/168/110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01-01-04
Sorry to be so stupid but what is body for life?
dancininthemoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:46 PM   #23

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Never stupid!! Inqissitive

check out this sticky http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php

If you have anymore question feel free to post the following thread http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...hreadid=183157
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:52 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 177/168/110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01-01-04
Thanks i will read up on it.
dancininthemoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 12:31 PM   #25

Gallery: lynnjp
Stats: 273/179/150
WOE: Began JUDDD 3/18/12 UD1600 DD 490
Start Date: 4/28/2001
Mock Sheperd's pie

1 pound ground turkey
1 medium onion chopped
4 garlic clove minced
a sliced green pepper
1tsp onion powder-1/2 tsp garlic powder(I didn't add these and it was still good)
2 small carrots-grated-12 black olives, chopped and a handful of cilantro, chopped -
1 8 ounce no salt added tomato sauce
14.5 ounce diced tomato-no salt added
2 cups of mashed cauliflower-please make sure you drain the cauliflower REALLY well-I squeeze all the water out by hand after I strain it in a colander

Preheat to 350- Brown meat, onion and garlic-when they are nearly done add green pepper, mushrooms, onion powder and garlic powder. When browned place all in a casserole dish. Add carrots, olives, cilantro, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes to casserole dish and mix well. Spread cauliflower over top and bake 30 minutes-then brown under broiler about 3 minutes

THIS WAS GOOD!!!
lynnjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:16 AM   #26
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: nl_schober
Stats: 145/122
Start Date: Jan 9, 2003, reached goal June 21, 2003
I don't put oil, splenda & cinnamon on it and bake it like Dana Carpenter's recipe bcs I'm avoiding artificial sweeteners. Here's what I just made:

Home made granola

1 cup Rolled Oat/barley/wheat & rye
1 cup rolled spelt
1/3 C sunflower seeds
1/4 C dried papaya bits
1/4 C dried pineapple bits
1 C Allbran (29% fiber)
1/4 C lecithine
1/4 C flax seeds (ground)
1/4 C almonds (sliced)
1/4 C coconut (unsweetened)
1/4 C wheat germ
1/4 C wheat bran
1/4 C oat bran

this makes about 6 cups. A 2/3 cup serving has approximately: 162 cals, 8 gm fat, 23 gm carbs, 8 gms fiber & 6.5 gms protein
Old 02-20-2004, 11:07 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carrot Cake Muffins
(Double Batch)

8 Egg Whites
1 Cup Oats
½ Cup Cottage Cheese
½ Scoop Protein Powder
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Vanilla extract
½ Cup Splenda (or equivalent (1 tsp) Stevia)
3-4 tsp Cinnamon
1 Cup Grated Carrots
1/3 Cup Crushed Pineapple, Drained
2 Tbsp Raisins (optional)
2 Tbsp Almonds or Walnuts (optional)

Vegetable Cooking Spray
Combine Egg Whites and next 7 ingredients (Egg Whites to Cinnamon) in a blender. Blend in a blender. Gently fold carrots, pineapples, nuts and raisins.

Spoon batter into muffin pans coated with cooking spray, filling ¾ full. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan immediately.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:25 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Chocolate - Brownie - Banana Muffins

This is a double batch: 12 muffins

8 egg whites
1 Cup oats
½ Cup Cottage Cheese
½ Cup Splenda—found at Publix or Super Wal-Mart next to the sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Godiva Chocolate Liqueur (or chocolate extract or SF choc syrup)
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Banana
2 Tbsp walnuts

Mix all ingredients in a blender. (Place egg whites in blender first and add dry ingredients slowly or it doesn’t mix well.) Pour batter into 12 muffin (regular size) pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 28-30 minutes
Old 04-07-2004, 02:43 AM   #29
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: nl_schober
Stats: 145/122
Start Date: Jan 9, 2003, reached goal June 21, 2003
These two recipes were so good, I justhad to share.

Original from 'LaVarenne Pratique'
Russian salad
cube steamed carrots & turnips
add steamed peas & green beans (cut in 1 in slices)
mix the vegetables with some vinaigrette
then add mayonaisse

My 'doctored' version
Russian tuna salad (2 servings)
drain 7 oz(approx) can of mixed starchy vegetables (or drain & rinse a can of white beans)
mix the vegetables/beans with some acid (lemon juice or vinegar)
chunk up the tuna and add to the vegetables
add enough ff maynaisse to make the mixtures wet
add 1 t or more of Dijon mustard

I've been having this for lunch 1 & 2. It's yummy -tastes like the Russian potato salad that you can get here. If you don't like tuna I don't see any reason why you can use any lean protein cubed in this this recipe.

Flax seed viniagrette
mix 3 parts flax seed oil with 1 part sunflower oil (I did 90 ml flax seed oil & 20 ml sunflower oil)
add 3 T lemon juice or vinigar
add 1 T Dijohn mustard
add 1/4 t salt & pepper

You can stop here. But I added 1 heaping T of ff mayonaisse

We had this the first night on green salad: butter lettuce, walnuts & goat cheese

The second nite I added some splenda (dh has requested 'honey mustard dressing & it came close) on marinated vegetable salad: lightly steamed cauliflower & broccoli with quartered mushrooms and cubed bell peppers. i would have added green onions but they were too expensive.

Enjoy!
nl_schober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 05:31 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

BAKED STUFF PAPAYAS

1 medium onion; chopped
1 clove garlic; finely chopped
1 lb lean ground beef (ground buffalo or ground turkey)
1 16oz. can whole tomatos; drained
¼ tsp pepper
4 papayas (about 12oz. each) (the smaller 6”-ish version)

Cook and stir beef, onion, and garlic in 10-inch skillet over medium heat until beef is light brown. Drain; stir in tomatoes, and pepper. Break up tomatoes with fork. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered, until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes. Cut papayas lengthwise into halves and remove seeds. Fill each papaya half with the beef mixture. Arrange in shallow roasting pan. Pour very hot water into pan to within 1 inch of tops of papaya halves. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees until papayas are very tender and hot, about 30 minutes.

***Note: I have used all meat options, but this last one was buffalo. It's leaner than the other options and looks and tastes like the beef. I usually get 5 or 6 of the papayas or you have left over stuffing.