Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Administrator

Gallery: Kathy
Important Note Regarding not/Sugar in Kevinpa's recipes

It was brought to our attention today (a big thanks to LCF member dmburk!) that there is a concern with an ingredient that Kevinpa used in some of his recipes.

Many of his bread / flour mix recipes called for a product called "not/Sugar" which was a thickener that gave texture of sugar to many sugar free foods. At the time Kevinpa created those recipes, there was indeed a product by Expert Foods called ThickenThin not/'Sugar'. That product is no longer available as the manufacturer went out of business.

As many of you know, LCF has auto-links that link some words to products carried by Netrition. Netrition carries a product by Dixie Diner called "Sugar/Not". Dixie Diner Sugar Not!, All Natural Sweetener) is a sweetener. Sugar/Not is NOT a thickener, however, due to the similarity in names, the auto-link in Kevinpa's recipes was directing members to a totally different product than Kevinpa used.

We have fixed this error and now have the words "not/Sugar" (found in Kevinpa's recipes) linked to a comparable substitute called Dixie Diner Carb Counters 'Thick It Up' Low Carb Thickener.

Although Thick It Up should be a good substitute for "not/Sugar", there is no guarantee that it will produce a recipe as Kevinpa intended.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Kathy, the Thick It Up is what I use in place of the not/Sugar in Kevin's recipes. It has performed so close to the same in Kevin's recipes that I can not tell the difference. Other than, I think I can actually use less of the Thick It Up!
VERY good point about the Sugar/Not NOT being the same type product!!! The name of the not/Sugar was always confusing to a lot of people!

Thanks Kathy!
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/174.5/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
Thanks for the help and information.
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Asparky
There have been substitutes suggested such as guar gum and xanthan gum which I have been experimenting with at a 1 to 3 total amount ratio to the not/sugar... for instance with the receip calling for 1 Tbsp of not sugar, I used 1/2 tsp each of guar gum and xanthan gum... I never used the not/sugar so I have no experience of how it performed, thus hard to compare! The guar gum and xanthan gum I believe were 2 of 4 ingredients in not/sugar. I would try the "thick it up" but its a little spendy on a tight budget, so I'm trying to make do with whats at hand for now.

So maybe this thread could also be used to find out what has worked and what hasn't as a substitute for not/sugar. I'm sure all of Kevin's followers would love to know what will work!
I decided to start as Kevin did baking simple white breads in the order that he did the threads on, and as he improved upon each recipe... Even his first Simple White Bread 1 (Carbalose) is better than most of the store bought LC breads... Im looking forward to trying them all... I Miss your posts Kevin!

Ron
Asparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lifesabanquet
Hi Everyone. This is my first post so I hope I am doing it right. I was just looking at some of Kevinpa's bread recipes and found this note about using xanthan gum as a sub for not/Sugar. Hope this helps.

"Marla, the granular splenda would add some carbs but not a huge amount so the 1/8 tsp splenda quick pack could be subbed by 2 Tablespoons of granular. Also it will not be exactly the same but 2 tsp. of xanthan gum would be a sub for the 1 tablespoon of not/Sugar. It will make a slight difference in the final texture though."
Lifesabanquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Kathy, the Thick It Up is what I use in place of the not/Sugar in Kevin's recipes. It has performed so close to the same in Kevin's recipes that I can not tell the difference. Other than, I think I can actually use less of the Thick It Up!
VERY good point about the Sugar/Not NOT being the same type product!!! The name of the not/Sugar was always confusing to a lot of people!

Thanks Kathy!
I use 1/2 tsp Thick It Up and 1/2 tsp glucomannan (konjac) powder in place of the Not/Sugar. It works great for me. The glucomannan is available at netrition. The thick it up is quite expensive, and this combination works as well as a tablespoon of the thick it up and is a lot less expensive.

Last edited by sbwertz; 12-08-2012 at 12:18 PM..
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks sbwertz! Good to know!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lonestarstamper
Stats: 221/210/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 2011
bumping/subbing
lonestarstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: THELOU
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 1998
Sugar/Not sub

sbwert, does it that combination of thick it up and glucomannan sub spoon for spoon for sugar/not?
THELOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THELOU View Post
sbwert, does it that combination of thick it up and glucomannan sub spoon for spoon for sugar/not?
THELOU, Not/Sugar and Sugar Not are 2 entirely different products. I'm not sure which you meant.
Sugar Not is a sweetener, but Not/Sugar does NOT sweeten, it is a thickener, and helps replace some of the other attributes of sugar in baked good, but it does NOT sweeten.
So if you meant Sugar Not, then the answer is NO!

This has confused a lot of people, since the name is so similar, and both names would tend to imply that it sweetens or is a sugar replacement.

Hope that helps.

FYI:
Sugar Not Dixie Diner Sugar Not!, All Natural Sweetener
Thick It Up Dixie Diner Carb Counters Thick It Up Low Carb Thickener

not/Sugar ThickenThin not/Sugar (No longer produced, but they still have the link to refer to.)

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 04-07-2013 at 06:37 AM..
Old 04-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stephie51
Stats: 178/171/169 first goal
WOE: LOW CARB MY WAY UNER 20
Start Date: April 2014
Crap I bought the sweetener. Is it any good. It was 10.99.
Stephie51 is offline   Reply With Quote