Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dandelion42
Stats: way more than enough/more than enough/just right
WOE: ZC/carnivore/organic/grass-fed/pasture-raised only
Start Date: restart 2/2010
I made Kevinpa's Pizza today!

I made it with Applegate Farms organic pepperoni and Trader Joe's sliced mozarella and Rustico tomato sauce (4g net carbs per 1/2 cup).

It was my first time ever attempting a pizza dough and I was sufficiently impressed with the way it turned out although I think it looks better than it tastes.

There's something a bit "off" with the odd flours used which I had always associated with soy flour but apparently there's no soy flour in Carbalose and the rest of the ingredients (resistant wheat starches, etc.) so i'm not exactly sure what the strangeness comes from. Does anyone know?

Here's the slightly adjusted Kevinpa recipe for the dough.

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup warm watered down heavy cream (no Carb Countdown Milk found)
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 cup Wheat Protein Isolate 8000
1 3/8 cup Carbalose
1 1/8 cup + 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000 (reserving 3/4 cup)
1/8 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 75 (I couldn't find 70)
2 tsp xanthan gum (Not/Sugar doesn't exist anymore)
1/8 tsp xylitol
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar (for the yeast)
1 packet rapid rise yeast

I added the sugar to the water and then added the yeast to that before I dealt with anything else.

Then combine all the dry ingredients except for 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000.

Then put the wet ingredients in electric mixer.

Mix the wet ingredients with the paddle about 1 minute on low then add the dry mixing til well combined.

Change the paddle for the dough hook and knead with the hook for 8-10 min adding the 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000 as needed to make a rollable dough.

Split in two and rise the one being used on the counter for 45 min or so while the other half is refrigerated for later use.

This is where Kevin's recipe ended. My dough didn't rise after a few hours which makes me wonder if my yeast was any good. Either way, it didn't make any real difference to the end product from what I could tell.

I then spread the dough out on my pizza pan and baked it for 5 minutes at 350 to firm it up before I added the toppings. I raised the oven temp to 425 degrees and after I put the toppings on I cooked it for about 15 or so minutes until it was just browning on the edges and everything looked bubbly and melted on the pizza.

Would I make it again? Well, I suppose so since I bought all the odd ingredients and still have plenty left to use up. I really wish someone could explain the unique taste that low carb breads have. If I could somehow get rid of that slightly unique taste and just keep the rest of it I'd be happier with this recipe for sure.
dandelion42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I hope someone posts the answer to your question. I too have purchaased all of the ingredients, but have never gotten around to using them. Bought them just for Kevin's recipes. So thanks for the heads up and I will follow this as he has a LOT of recipes.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I have never been able to use Carbalose, although I have tried almost every recipe of Kevin's and all the tips for keeping down the funky taste. I now mix up a batch of Jena Marie's flour blend and use it instead. It has 32 g net carbs per cup (mostly because she uses bread flour as one of the ingredients) as opposed to Carbalose's 19 g per cup. For my bread, that comes out to less than .5 additional g net carbs over using Carbalose. I use "rexsreine's" recipe now for all my breads. Since her recipe makes such wonderful bread, I am going to try it for pizza dough -- would have to make about a fourth of the recipe, though, hers makes two giant loaves for me. I use half the starter and get way more slices than she does. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...r-results.html
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
I have never been able to use Carbalose, although I have tried almost every recipe of Kevin's and all the tips for keeping down the funky taste. I now mix up a batch of Jena Marie's flour blend and use it instead. It has 32 g net carbs per cup (mostly because she uses bread flour as one of the ingredients) as opposed to Carbalose's 19 g per cup. For my bread, that comes out to less than .5 additional g net carbs over using Carbalose. I use "rexsreine's" recipe now for all my breads. Since her recipe makes such wonderful bread, I am going to try it for pizza dough -- would have to make about a fourth of the recipe, though, hers makes two giant loaves for me. I use half the starter and get way more slices than she does. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...r-results.html
Okay, good idea, but I gather Fermented Treasues is no longer around? So what do you use for a starter?
Old 07-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Thanks! I'll check that out and see if I have better results taste-wise with that dough.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion42 View Post
Thanks! I'll check that out and see if I have better results taste-wise with that dough.
What do you use instead of the 'Not Sugar'?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
What do you use instead of the 'Not Sugar'?
I used the xanthan gum instead of the Not Sugar because I searched a few threads and I believe that Kevin had suggested to do so as that was the main purpose of that ingredient.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Pizza on the Grill

I gave this a try tonight. However, instead of Kevin's bake mix, I used what was on hand and it worked!

1 cup minus 2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp heavy cream
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup Jennifer Eloff’s Splendid Low Carb Baking Mix
1 cup Jennifer Eloff’s Vital Ultimate Bake mix
1 1/2 cups Carbalose
2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar (for the yeast)
1 packet rapid rise yeast

Mix water and cream. Heat on low in microwave until about 105-110 degrees. Whisk in yeast and sugar.

Whisk all the dry ingredients except for ˝ cup carbalose.

Place all wet ingredients in electric mixer.

Mix the wet ingredients with the paddle about 1 minute on low then add the dry mixture well combined.

Change the paddle for the dough hook and knead with the hook for 8-10 min adding the ˝ cup Carbalose. Place in container with lid but do not seal tight.
Let rise 2 hours. (I set mine on a warm porch and it only took an hour).
Turn gas grill on high for 10 min. Scrape griddle. Set rack on griddle. Let heat 5 min. Roll a fistful size of dough into 1/8 inch rectangular piece. Bake on grill for 3 min with lid down. Flip dough and cover with toppings. Put lid down and grill another 3-5 min until cheese melts.

This is first time posting with a photo so I hope this comes out. This pizza was creme fraiche, bacon, caramelized onions, fresh thyme. After grilling, I sprinkled with chopped fresh chives. It looks dark in photo but was not overdone at all.

Bacon Pizza on Grill.jpg

This was DH's with traditional toppings.

Traditional Pizza on Grill.jpg
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Amazing! Good job! The recipe looks pretty unique with all those bake mixes.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Let me know ahead of time and I will be there next time at the dinner table. Looks SO good!