Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2006, 09:59 PM   #1

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Cinnamon Sugar Cookies

Ok all you COCO-NUTS

About 4 months ago I tried a cinnamon coconut sugar cookie that turned out ok but I was not satified so I shelved it.......till today

I halved the original recipe which made 2 dozen cookies and achieved the same results for 3 different batches today.

I would appriciate if all you who have coconut flour and feel like experimenting to try these and let me know what you think.

This recipe makes 12 cookies for 2.5 net carbs for all 12.
Talk about a carb bargin!!

Cinnamon Sugar Cookies

2 eggs
1 c. equivilent liquid splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
1/4 c. coconut oil
4 T. coconut flour
2 T. wheat protein isolate 5000
1/4 t. baking powder

1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon polydextrose plus

I mixed eggs, sweeteners, vanilla, salt, and coconut oil in a large mixing bowl.
Mix together the flours and baking powder then add to the liquid ingredients. The dough was rather sticky so I let it set for about 10 minutes to thicken a bit.
While that thickened I combined the cinnamon and polydextrose plus in a small glass dish.
I then formed the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and then rolled them in the cinnamon mixture, coating thoroughly. I then placed them on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet about an inch apart and then flattened them to about 2 inch diameter.

I then baked them in a 350 oven for 15 - 16 min.

This made 1 dozen cookies. 2.5 carbs for entire batch.

Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2006, 12:57 AM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
I'll try them tommorrow & let u know if I can bake cookies.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:53 PM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Well....I made the cookies, but I screwed up the recipe (surprised?), but I finished them anyway.

I didn't read all the directions and I added in the polyd and the cinnamon and then noticed I wasn't supposed to do that. So I got brown cookies.

Now I have some questions: Mine are very dry--taste is good, but they are so dry. Would that be because I added in the polyd?
Oh, I only had polyd, not poly d plus--should that matter?

Also, did you sift the coconut flour? I didn't.

I also used my coconut oil in liquid form--will that make any difference?

I'm thinking they would be great with half almond flour and half coconut flour--or is it just cuz I don't know how to bake? Help....

Visual:

not pretty like yours..waahhh!! But I can eat them with jam, so they are edible.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #4

ok, my 1st attempt at these 4 months ago, mine turned out dry also. The changes I made were the coconut oil(mine was semi solid but way past room temp) for butter and the cinnamon coating this time had polyD + but the last time I used erythritol.
Here is what I need to know 1st. When you rolled the balls to make the cookies, describe the dough. i.e. was it stiff, gooey, sticky ?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

When I got it all mixed up, it was sticky, so I let it sit for the 10minutes and it was very much like a normal cookie dough and easy to roll into balls-didn't stick to my hands either.

I don't know what I could add that would make them more moist. I thought of adding some cream, but not sure about that. I know cream cheese works well with coconut flour, but I didn't really want the cream cheese either.

Also, yours look kinda fluffy--mine were very dense. Maybe I should have sifted the flour?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:42 PM   #6

ok most likely it was adding in the polyd to the batter that made the difference because when I made these and the dough was 1st mixed it was so wet that by looking at it I knew if I tried to roll it that it would turn to mush in my hand and stick to my hands. After I waited the 10 mins I would still have called the dough loose to the point of when looking at it it appeared to have too much liquid but it did hold together enough to roll. Even after rolling they still had a gelatinous feel to them. I am thinking the polyD cinnamon rolled on the out side sealed the cookie while baking holding the moisture in and giving it a chewy almost crunch to the outside while keeping the inside moist. I need to make another batch to test this theory.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Yep, I'll try again tomorrow and do them the right way. Of course my first thought was to add about a quarter to a third of a banana to them to add some moisture. (I know>>> bad.)
Old 07-25-2006, 01:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa
I am thinking the polyD cinnamon rolled on the out side sealed the cookie while baking holding the moisture in and giving it a chewy almost crunch to the outside while keeping the inside moist.
Since Alton Brown didn't answer my calls I ask the nearest thing to him that I knew and Scott123 told me that I am flawed in my thinking in that although PolyD is hygroscopic (water attracting), it's definitely not strong enough to seal moisture in a cookie.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:09 AM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Thanks, Kevin, that's nice of you to say.

SugarBabi, I stumbled on to a post from a few months ago where you refered to whey protein isolate as WPI. Did you use whey protein in your cookies?

It can get a little confusing, as there are some whey manufacturers that use the term 'WPI' for whey protein isolate, but for the bulk of the low carb community, WPI stands for wheat protein isolate. Big difference.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #10

I have made this recipe 4 time now in the last 2 days with consistant results each time. I did not sift the flour but when I combined the flours and baking powder I did wisk them to combine. Lastly since I bought my coconut flour awhile ago I may be using a different brand. When I bought mine, netrition did not carry coconut flour.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBabi
Hi Scott,
I actually did use wheat protein isolate. I am learning here. LOL
Hmmmmmm... okay, one last question (I promise! )- was it the 5000 version of the WPI?

Kevin, coconut flour is defatted and dried, so it's probable that different brands have varying levels of residual fat/moisture. How does your nutritional label compare with Netrition's?
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:38 PM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Hmmmmmm... okay, one last question (I promise! )- was it the 5000 version of the WPI?

Kevin, coconut flour is defatted and dried, so it's probable that different brands have varying levels of residual fat/moisture. How does your nutritional label compare with Netrition's?
Aha! I used the 8000. So maybe that's the problem? It's the only one I had and I'm glad you asked cuz I might have never known what I did wrong.

How much of a difference is there btw the 5000 and the 8000?
Old 07-25-2006, 04:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Aha! I used the 8000.
Bingo!! thats the difference.

there is a huge difference between 5000 and 8000.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
How does your nutritional label compare with Netrition's?
Here is the label without the name. and has a higher % of fat

Old 07-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #15

Quote:
How much of a difference is there btw the 5000 and the 8000?
To give you an idea of the difference, if you weigh out 28 g. of both WPI 5000 and WPI 8000 and compare. The WPI 5000 is 1/2 c. where the WPI 8000 is 3 T.

WPI 5000 is almost 3 times the volume per weight as WPI 8000.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #16
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Wow--that is really some difference. I'll have to get some of the 5000 and try again. I'm surprised my cookies didn't turn into crumbs.

Can you tell me what wheat resistant starch is?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Can you tell me what wheat resistant starch is?
WoW! That is such a huge question, and I'm not sure I have the expertise to answer it.
I will offer this web page as a good start to the answer to your question entitled:

Resistant Starch 101: Not all fiber is the same! A primer on a hot nutrition topic
Old 07-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #18
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks for the link. I noticed that wheat resistant starch and corn resistant starch both have the same amount of carbs. Would you know if there is much difference btw using them? I was thinking that the corn type might change the flavor of bready recipes.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:26 AM   #19

Quote:
I noticed that wheat resistant starch and corn resistant starch both have the same amount of carbs.
Actually that is not correct. Resistant Wheat Starch has 1 net carb per Tablespoon where Resistant Corn Starch has 3 net carbs per Tablespoon.

Since the both boast neutral flavor I am going to guess the only thing that sets them apart is the wheat has 70% fiber and the corn has 60% fiber.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:17 PM   #20
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa
Actually that is not correct. Resistant Wheat Starch has 1 net carb per Tablespoon where Resistant Corn Starch has 3 net carbs per Tablespoon.

Since the both boast neutral flavor I am going to guess the only thing that sets them apart is the wheat has 70% fiber and the corn has 60% fiber.
Thanks Kevinpa...I've got it straight now. I was just going by the labels from Netrition and didn't do the net carbs. I see the wheat would be a better choice. Thanks again for all your help here.