Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Kevinpa- Pizza question (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/653335-kevinpa-pizza-question.html)

jleblanc 12-27-2009 12:38 PM

Kevinpa- Pizza question
 
I was wondering if you ever perfected your pizza crust. Pizza with a real crust is sounding great right about now. I'd appreciate any tips or tricks. Thanks, Jodi

jleblanc 12-27-2009 04:34 PM

I got desperate and experimented therefore, I am answering my own question. Hopefully this will help those of you who have been missing real crust pizza as I had. I have tried for years all types of crusts, from the egg and cheese to some really bad carbquik crusts and thanks to kevinpa, allrecipes and my dad's pizza recipe, I have a winner.

Pizza crust

1/2 tsp. brown sugar (gets eaten by the yeast)
2 and 1/4 tsp. active yeast
1 and 1 1/2 cup warm water (110 degree)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tbs. Olive oil (I used the extra light as it was out already)
1/2 packet of splenda
1 TBS. Saco Buttermilk Powder
around 3 cups of Kevinpa's cookie and bread mix( his newest mix)

Extra Olive Oil for handling the dough

Mix the brown sugar and yeast in a large bowl. Add warm water and stir until the yeast and the brown sugar have dissolved then let sit for an additional 10 minutes

then mix in the salt and oil, next the buttermilk powder, 1/2 packet of splenda and 2.5 cups kevin's flour mix. The dough will be pretty wet. Continue to add the flour mix to thicken it up some. I used the dough hook on my machine starting at the point where I added the flour mix for the second time. I added up to 3.25 cups of the mix and it was still fairly doughy. I let the machine work the dough for 6-8 minutes then put in a warm oven to rise. The oven was not on at that point. In about 50 minutes it had risen 2.5-3 times in size. I punched down and turned out on WPI 5000. It was too sticky for the WPI to work as a nonstick barrier. I worked in about 1/8 of a cup of wpi and it was still sticky. I decided to use olive oil instead and worked the dough by hand onto my baking stone. I had enough dough to make a 12-14 inch pizza on that and 2 in my 8 inch cast iron pan. The cast iron version was a hands down favorite with my husband. He liked both however. I think they key to this pizza crust is the fact that it is still sticky when you work with it. BTW there is no off taste- the splenda cured that and the texture is perfect. I did pre-bake the crusts- the regular recipe on allrecipe's site that I got part of this from did so I figured I would too. I do not know for sure but I think that the dough will hold up to toppings pre baked. The cast iron version (oiled pan with light olive oil also) was alot like pan pizza from Pizza Hut. I am so excited. My husband thought the thinner crust tasted a little plain- he had no idea that for low carb baking that was a compliment. However I may add a little Italian seasoning to the thin crust next time I make it. Try it and let me know what you think! I am really excited to be eating real pizza. Even my picky teenager ate it.

jleblanc 12-27-2009 05:03 PM

BGL
 
It has been 45 minutes since I ate one "regular" sized slice of the large pizza and one small piece of the pan pizza - that was all I could eat and was stuffed and my BGL are 117 and were 118 before I ate. YEAH!!! For those of you watching your levels and pizza has always been an issue Kevins mix is awesome! I didn't think of it last time but here are pictures
http://shawneeconsulting.com/jleblanc/photo.jpg
http://shawneeconsulting.com/jleblanc/photo2.jpg

Cap57 12-28-2009 05:01 AM

That looks delicious! I've tried many of the various pizza crust recipes over the years, but haven't been real happy with any of them. I don't think I have Kevin's newest flour recipe. I'll have to look for it. Pizza is something my DD, who LC's due to PCOS, really misses. Thanks!

jleblanc 12-28-2009 06:47 AM

Kevin's LC Bread flour mix-
 
I probably should have included a link to this in the other post but I am just figuring out how to work this system. I have looked for years but not posted. The pizza crust from this is soooo good. My husband even went back a few hours later and heated up more so that cinched it for me... I make the flour up in 8 cup batches. I figured the carb count based on using a pound of cheese, 3 cups of Kevin's mix, 1/2 cup of Ragu pizza sauce and pepperoni and sausage at 4.4 per slice. I didn't quite use a full pound of cheese on the three pizza's and the sauce may have been a bit under because too much red sauce will do me in but since there is no way i could eat more than two it is certainly acceptable by me especially since this on occasion will definitely keep me on track! Can't wait to try the cakes.

[QUOTE=Kevinpa;12017864]After several months and many experimental loaves this is my 3rd and final flour mix. I started out making this mix specifically for yeast applications but as it turns out it works just as well in all my cake and cookie recipes

1 cup LC Bread flour mix (14 carbs)

1/2 cup carbalose
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1 Tbs wheat protein isolate 8000
1.5 Tbs almond flour
1.5 Tbs Hi-Maize resistant corn starch 260
1.25 tsp not/Sugar


8 cup LC Bread flour mix recipe

4 cup carbalose
2 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1/2 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
3/4 cup almond flour
3/4 cup Hi-Maize resistant corn starch 260
3 Tbs not/Sugar

wenchzilla 12-30-2009 03:17 AM

What can I use in place of the not sugar, now that it has been discontinued?

jleblanc 12-30-2009 09:09 AM

Thicknthin not flour. Sorry I didn't catch that! Let me know how yours turns out. I wouldn't sub anything else I didn't have to. Kevin's recipe for yeast things is great.

Kevinpa 12-30-2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wenchzilla (Post 12917345)
What can I use in place of the not sugar, now that it has been discontinued?


not/starch can be used measure for measure in place of not/sugar.

SmileySue 12-30-2009 11:17 AM

Kevinpa - that new pic of your grandbaby.......:hyst::hyst::hyst::hyst: I :love: it!!!!

sorry for the threadjack.

Kevinpa 01-01-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmileySue (Post 12919132)
Kevinpa - that new pic of your grandbaby.......:hyst::hyst::hyst::hyst: I :love: it!!!!

sorry for the threadjack.

That is a huge dill pickle.....she loves them.....lol

wenchzilla 01-03-2010 02:12 AM

Thanks! I've been compiling a Netrition wish list. I'll have to get busy and order this week.

majomor 09-11-2010 08:39 PM

Finally Success with Kevins Pizza crust in Western Canada!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleblanc (Post 12906962)
I got desperate and experimented therefore, I am answering my own question. Hopefully this will help those of you who have been missing real crust pizza as I had. I have tried for years all types of crusts, from the egg and cheese to some really bad carbquik crusts and thanks to kevinpa, allrecipes and my dad's pizza recipe, I have a winner.

Pizza crust

1/2 tsp. brown sugar (gets eaten by the yeast)
2 and 1/4 tsp. active yeast
1 and 1 1/2 cup warm water (110 degree)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tbs. Olive oil (I used the extra light as it was out already)
1/2 packet of splenda
1 TBS. Saco Buttermilk Powder
around 3 cups of Kevinpa's cookie and bread mix( his newest mix)

Extra Olive Oil for handling the dough

Mix the brown sugar and yeast in a large bowl. Add warm water and stir until the yeast and the brown sugar have dissolved then let sit for an additional 10 minutes

then mix in the salt and oil, next the buttermilk powder, 1/2 packet of splenda and 2.5 cups kevin's flour mix. The dough will be pretty wet. Continue to add the flour mix to thicken it up some. I used the dough hook on my machine starting at the point where I added the flour mix for the second time. I added up to 3.25 cups of the mix and it was still fairly doughy. I let the machine work the dough for 6-8 minutes then put in a warm oven to rise. The oven was not on at that point. In about 50 minutes it had risen 2.5-3 times in size. I punched down and turned out on WPI 5000. It was too sticky for the WPI to work as a nonstick barrier. I worked in about 1/8 of a cup of wpi and it was still sticky. I decided to use olive oil instead and worked the dough by hand onto my baking stone. I had enough dough to make a 12-14 inch pizza on that and 2 in my 8 inch cast iron pan. The cast iron version was a hands down favorite with my husband. He liked both however. I think they key to this pizza crust is the fact that it is still sticky when you work with it. BTW there is no off taste- the splenda cured that and the texture is perfect. I did pre-bake the crusts- the regular recipe on allrecipe's site that I got part of this from did so I figured I would too. I do not know for sure but I think that the dough will hold up to toppings pre baked. The cast iron version (oiled pan with light olive oil also) was alot like pan pizza from Pizza Hut. I am so excited. My husband thought the thinner crust tasted a little plain- he had no idea that for low carb baking that was a compliment. However I may add a little Italian seasoning to the thin crust next time I make it. Try it and let me know what you think! I am really excited to be eating real pizza. Even my picky teenager ate it.


Well I followed the above recipe and I got a fabulous rise 2 to 3 times the rise (from start).....I live at about 5,000 ft with lots of flops!!
I tweaked using some(as i was making pizza dough and not bread!) tips from CRAZYWOMAN ......
I made sure like jleblanc said in her recipe, so I kept the water at 110F then added the 1/2 tsp brown sugar, and the Yeast (but i accidentally used 1/4 tsp more ) well I got this fabulous chemical reaction with my yeast for the very first time.
Recipe said 2 - 1/4 tsp Active yeast, i used 2-1/2 by mistake as i was on my fourth pizza experiments (2 of which were coconut flour(needs lots of work!), and the third rice/tapioca flour(this gave 4 pizzas so i thought that's not too bad! i could afford the carbs)
I used kevins current flour mix and ending up using 3.25 cups s like jleblanc said she used (same thing happened to , so was a good thing I had mixed extra mix!
I used my Cuisinart mixer(first time as my Kitchenaide literally died!) and kneaded for only 6-8 mins - what a great kneader, and not noisy!
then i lightly patted with a little light tasting OO (i always have this for my healthy butter)
-Then I put it in a pan with a damp towel over in my Microwave oven(on off) and a bowl of boiling water beside it, and let it rise for over an hour....success!!! http://images.lowcarbfriends.com/lcf.../notworthy.gif
I could not use my oven as I had a pizza stone getting heated at 500f for my friend (above pizza mentioned!!!http://images.lowcarbfriends.com/lcf...s/clapping.gif
After the rise, i did not roll, i just cut the dough in half and stretched with my hand and pushed (like real pizza dough!) and put it on oiled pizza pan let it rise a little then baked for 10 mins until edges were a bit brown, then removed and added toppings and just slid it onto the hot pizza stone and baked for 10 more mins - the best! (my picky teenage son actually ate it and said, "mom, make the crust thinner" (so i could have gotten another pizza from all this )!
The second pizza I just put on the pizza stone with toppings (bad idea) crust does not cook enough-----much better to pre-bake crust!
I have to say I was tempted to make buns with this crust!!!!
Thank you Thank you very much Jleblanc!
From hi altitude in western Canada!

jleblanc 01-30-2011 12:44 PM

I'm so glad you liked the pizza! I love it too! Thanks for the feedback! ,Jodi

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 02-03-2011 02:38 PM

Thanks, Jodi, I am going to try this. Julie


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:58 AM.