Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
No Bake Cookies

I used to make chocolate oatmeal no bake cookies ages ago and got a craving for them last night so I made these.

*upfront notes*

These are very easy and versatile and you could use the sweetener of your choice to equal 2 cups.

The combination of sweeteners i used had no cooling effect and if you close your eyes you would swear it had oatmeal in them from the combination of nuts and seeds i used..

I am sure many variations of these would be equally as good.

3/4 cup granular erythitol
1 1/2 tsp splenda quick pack
2 TBL not/starch(for cooling effect control)

3 TBL cocoa

1/2 cup heavy cream(or lc milk)

1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 stick butter

1 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup chopped nuts of choice
1/2 cut sunflower seeds

In non stick pan combine sweetener mix then add cold milk and bring to a boil for approx. 1 min.

Remove from heat and stir in butter and peanut butter until melted.

Stir in coconut, nuts, and seeds until completely covered.

Drop tablespoons of mixture on parchment or waxed paper and refrigerate until firm.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00043a.jpg (52.2 KB, 104 views)
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Yumm...how many carbs in yours..
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24312 View Post
Yumm...how many carbs in yours..
the entire batch was approx 24 carbs not concidering sweeteners since people count them differently. Mine made 20 cookies but you could make them bigger or smaller.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
omg... I remember those. Yummmmm!
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sweeteater
WOE: Lower Carb
My favorite cookie! Looks great.
Sweeteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
These look fantastic! I've made them before with sf coconut and they were good but I never thought about adding sunflower seeds, will be trying this soon. Thanks Kevin!
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Think I will make these today expect for the seeds...I don't care for them..may add a few extra chopped nuts thou...
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Kevin, I used to make those when I was a child. I forgot all about them. Thanks for the blast from the past. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goheels
WOE: Low carb woe
Start Date: January 2008
Couldn't resist since I just made a trip to TJ's for nuts,etc. when I came upon this recipe. It is good, but makes alot of cookies.
goheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Just made these today. I used 1/8 c cream & 3/8 c water. I also only used 1 TBsp Not/starch, cause I don't mind a light cooling effect.

I added 1/4 c sesame seeds. Oh, and I put the sunflower seed in with the nuts (I used pecans) when I chopped them. I guess you were supposed to chop the nuts then measure, but I measured first. So I may have used a slightly different amount.

These are very good, but just a tad sweet for my taste. I don't like things near as sweet as most. I'll cut back on the Splenda slightly next time. Not sure how much I need to cut back. I'll have to experiment.

Thanks Kevin!!! I think this is the best chocolate lc candy (yeah I know it's called cookies) I've made yet.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melsreturn
Stats: 251/129/130
WOE: Moderate Carbs/Low Calorie
Start Date: May 2006
I don't have starch/no starch or anything similar. What else can I use or where can I get it?
melsreturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

I'm not sure what else you can use, but you can get it right here at Netrition.
Click here on the blue = Not/starch.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
the entire batch was approx 24 carbs not considering sweeteners since people count them differently. Mine made 20 cookies but you could make them bigger or smaller.
Hmmmm I ran the recipe thru Master Cook, and it came up with almost twice that many carbs (net & also not including sweeteners). And my count only used 1/8 c cream.
I do realize that most of my ingredients were generic in the program, and some of the ingredients Kevin used may have had fewer carbs than Master Cook had for them. But everyone will not have the same ingredients.
This kind of shows how different brands will effect the recipes differently.

I added sesame seed to mine. (I didn't include these in the count I did). Master Cook has a very different count for sesame seed than what my bag said, so I had input the brand I have, so that when I do a recipe, I can use that for my counts. Since sesame seeds are not very high in carb, it doesn't make a huge overall difference (when I add them into the figures) whether I just type in sesame seeds or sesame seeds, NOW.

Different brands of cocoa will also make some difference. Shouldn't be a lot, but some.

Using the ingredients as Kevin listed them Master Cook comes up with 44 net carbs for the whole recipe. (or 41 using lc milk) Or 40 using 1/8 c cream and the rest water.

I am sure that some of the ingredients that Kevin used were lower carb than the standard counts that Master Cook has. I'm not arguing with Kevin on his carb count accuracy, just bringing attention to the fact that some brands are higher carb count than others, so it can affect the outcome of a product.

Also different nuts will have different counts. I just typed in nuts, which might have been higher than what Kevin used (or for that matter what I actually used). As a matter of fact, I just checked that out. I typed in pecans rather than nuts, and came up with 38 net.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Just to let everybody know, when i make a recipe like this i seldom enter it into my recipe program. Since i am on maintenence my WOE is to make everything i eat with LC ingredient and don't micro manage carbs. When i was asked how many carbs, did a quick tally from the packages but went to the NSDA database for the sunflowers and coconut since they packages were thrown away awhile ago. I looked again and it came out 1 carb different.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tinatina
Stats: 223/187/130 5ft3.5in
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 2007
thanks for this recipe!
tinatina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
This recipe is great, Kevin. Did you see my spin off of it - the Fudgey Peanut Butter Coconut Squares? Thanks.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes Jennifer, it looks very fudgy but as soon as I saw the whey in it I knew it was nothing I would ever make. I used to try making things with whey but have decided that I personally just don't like the taste of it so I tossed my supply out quite awhile ago.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's too bad because I'm sure you would have found whey protein useful if you didn't have that aversion. I love my whey protein, but I know some people, like you, don't care for it.

You know what? That said, about a year ago, I bought whey protein that was horrible-tasting. Turns out one needs to buy a product that is a mix of whey protein concentrates (least expensive) and isolates and maybe hydrolysate (most expensive). I checked my whey and it was made purely from concentrates - yuck and double yuck! It has a horrible taste and texture.

This might not be what happened to you, but thought I'd mention it, just in case.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
That's too bad because I'm sure you would have found whey protein useful if you didn't have that aversion. I love my whey protein, but I know some people, like you, don't care for it.

You know what? That said, about a year ago, I bought whey protein that was horrible-tasting. Turns out one needs to buy a product that is a mix of whey protein concentrates (least expensive) and isolates and maybe hydrolysate (most expensive). I checked my whey and it was made purely from concentrates - yuck and double yuck! It has a horrible taste and texture.

This might not be what happened to you, but thought I'd mention it, just in case.
Also my DW is lactose intolerant so she will not eat basically anything that is made from milk or has milk in it. So really whatever the expense it is not worth using for us with so many other thing available. Again your recipe looks very good just not right for us.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm sorry to hear that, Kevin, but now I understand why you have become such an expert with your recipes for special diets. It's a matter of necessity and then it also becomes a passion - been there and done that for my DH. He could not have sugar at one point in his life, as he was suffering from severe reactive hypoglycemia. That is when we switched to Splenda in baking and when my first cookbook was conceived. Many years later after eating only Splenda and not a drop of sugar, that problem came right, but also as an answer to prayer, I believe. Now my DH needs to low-carb for his weight and health. I can certainly relate.

Love your recipes and it is a lot of fun to use someone else's wonderful bake mix for a change of pace. Thank you.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melsreturn
Stats: 251/129/130
WOE: Moderate Carbs/Low Calorie
Start Date: May 2006
This might not even be a question to be asked... but is there anything other than coconut that can take the place of oatmeal in baked goods or these cookies? Thanks! (answer might have already been given but I didnt see it)...
melsreturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsreturn View Post
This might not even be a question to be asked... but is there anything other than coconut that can take the place of oatmeal in baked goods or these cookies? Thanks! (answer might have already been given but I didnt see it)...

Here is a sub I have used in another recipe.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...al-cookie.html
Old 10-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Kevinpa, what kind of nuts did you use? You say that and the seeds are what make them taste like No Bakes. So please tell. Dee.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeeda View Post
Kevinpa, what kind of nuts did you use? You say that and the seeds are what make them taste like No Bakes. So please tell. Dee.
i used pecans