Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
These sound so yummy. Going to get a container from the store to sample and try to come up with a good imitation recipe to save $$. Your recipe looks like one to try, Linda Sue!
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
These sound so yummy. Going to get a container from the store to sample and try to come up with a good imitation recipe to save $$. Your recipe looks like one to try, Linda Sue!
I want so bad to make the recipe again and work on perfecting it but I can't trust myself with those nuts, LOL. Maybe I'll wait and see what tweaks you can come up with once you've tried the real thing and then I'll splurge on some for a treat. I haven't actually tried my recipe yet with whole almonds. So far I've just used whatever odds and ends of nuts I had stashed in the freezer. I wish that nuts weren't so darn expensive or so hard to stop eating.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:41 AM   #33
skg
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skg
Stats: 220/169/140
WOE: Low carbing
Start Date: March 31, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I haven't actually tried my recipe yet with whole almonds. So far I've just used whatever odds and ends of nuts I had stashed in the freezer. I wish that nuts weren't so darn expensive or so hard to stop eating.
I used whole almonds only when I made the recipe, I actually ended up putting twice the amount of almonds in to use up all the chocolate.
skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #34
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
LindaSue, my hubby tried one last night and thought they were really good, too.

I used 1-1/2 cups of pecans and thought the coating would take more nuts, so added in 1/2 cup of walnuts.

As I said below, I stirred and tossed them after 10 minutes and after 20 turned off the oven and let them cool completely on the Exopat-lined cooky sheet in the oven with the door ajar.

I'm trying to save these for company on Sunday, so just one here and there for me.
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #35
qbu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qbu
Stats: Never again/getting there/finally!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 5, 2005
I just made these using the variation recipe. I used whole almonds and OMG!!!! They are so good! And they're so easy to make! I know that I'll be making them again.

LindaSue...thank you so much for this recipe and all of the other great recipes you've posted.
qbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DEEDLYNN
I really like these things and find them very satisfying...good news is that the choc is such that I find myself being able to stop at a serving. I love that part.
Linda is right....cocoa puffs. (I use to love cocoa puffs).
DEEDLYNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wifezilla
Stats: 250/207/190
WOE: Read em all. Doing it my way.
Start Date: May 2007
Almost makes you want to pour some cream over them and see how that tastes...LOL
wifezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
Can someone post the ingredients seems to me the last time I looked it had any ingredient not good for diabetics but I cant remember
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:47 PM   #39
qbu
Senior LCF Member

almonds, egg white, salt, vanilla, splenda, cocoa
Old 08-09-2008, 06:24 AM   #40

Ingredients: Dry roasted almonds, modified food starch (potato), natural & artificial flavors, cocoa powder, salt, acesulfame potassium, sucralose.

1 ounce = 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carb
Old 08-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creativelc
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbu View Post
I just made these using the variation recipe. I used whole almonds and OMG!!!! They are so good! And they're so easy to make! I know that I'll be making them again.

LindaSue...thank you so much for this recipe and all of the other great recipes you've posted.
This is definitely on my "must try" list, and I was glad to see that you made them with the almonds. Did you use the Almonds with the skins on them, or the plain looking skinless Almonds? Or does that even matter?
Add my thanks to Linda Sue!
creativelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #42
qbu
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativelc View Post
This is definitely on my "must try" list, and I was glad to see that you made them with the almonds. Did you use the Almonds with the skins on them, or the plain looking skinless Almonds? Or does that even matter?
Add my thanks to Linda Sue!
The almonds I used had the skin on them, but I don't think it would matter. They are very good. Even DH liked them and he's pretty fussy about chocolate covered almonds.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creativelc
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbu View Post
The almonds I used had the skin on them, but I don't think it would matter. They are very good. Even DH liked them and he's pretty fussy about chocolate covered almonds.
Thanks for the information regarding the Almonds that you used. I am looking forward to a batch of these little gems!
creativelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #44
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Had a friend pick me up some of these at Sams today. We both loved them. Now her DH is mad that she didn't get them some!
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: silverleaf
Stats: 256/246/155
WOE: atkins
Start Date: august 24, 2011
Linda, Can you please post how many carbs are in just the coating?
silverleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleaf View Post
Linda, Can you please post how many carbs are in just the coating?
Whole batch of coating with granular Splenda: 90 Calories; 2g Fat; 6g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 14g Net Carbs

Whole batch of coating with liquid Splenda: 42 Calories; 2g Fat; 6g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
Old 08-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: silverleaf
Stats: 256/246/155
WOE: atkins
Start Date: august 24, 2011
Thanks for your super quick reply! I can't wait to try these. Love you website.
silverleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:55 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: berighteous
Stats: 320's/258/200
Start Date: January 2012
I just got a 38 oz jar at Sam's this weekend. Yummo.

It's funny that it has a warning on the label :CONTAINS ALMONDS

DUH.
berighteous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:27 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by berighteous View Post

DUH.

Yeah I picked up a pack of mixed nuts with peanuts yesterday and the warning said : Caution processed in a facility that processes peanuts.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

I would hope it was processed at a facility that processes peanuts...
Old 08-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #51
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: hdyhouse
Stats: 335/211/195
Start Date: September 2003
I made a batch last night for the first time. I used 4 oz of whole almonds and followed the recipe. However, there was so much excess coating that I continued to add additional almonds. I started with an unopened 3 pound bag of almonds and when I was done the bag weighed just under 2 pounds. They have a wonderful flavor and I will be making them again. I am going to use some of those tonight to make what I am calling an almond joy pie. (I am going to put a layer of Linda Sue's Angel coconut with the cocoa almonds on top and sandwich that layer between two layers of chocolate filling in a blind baked crust.)
Old 08-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by berighteous View Post

DUH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowzip View Post
Yeah I picked up a pack of mixed nuts with peanuts yesterday and the warning said : Caution processed in a facility that processes peanuts.
It does sound/look ridiculous, but people have gotten so crazy, and so sue happy (over totally rediculous things) that companies have to post those warnings these days to protect themselves.
That being said, I've laughed at several things like that on labels lately.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 08-14-2008 at 11:34 AM..
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdyhouse View Post
I am going to use some of those tonight to make what I am calling an almond joy pie. (I am going to put a layer of Linda Sue's Angel coconut with the cocoa almonds on top and sandwich that layer between two layers of chocolate filling in a blind baked crust.)

This almond joy pie sounds great Henry! Any chance you can post a picture of the finished product for us?
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Speaking of warning labels - On the chocolate coconut Atkins bar on my desk it says:

INDULGE WISELY: FOR THOSE SENSITIVE TO SUGAR ALCOHOLS AND THEIR LAXATIVE EFFECTS, PLEASE LIMIT TO ONE SERVING PER DAY.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #55
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Tweaker, I am technology challenged or, as I sometimes say, I am a computer semi-illiterate. Consequently, I cannot post a picture of the pie I made. However, here is a link to a thread that has a picture of a pie with the chocolate filling that I based mine on.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-high-fat.html
My pie looked like the picture except, that there is a coconut layer about 1/3 inch thick in the middle of the pie extending from the center to within about an inch of the crust. With the sweetened coconut, the pie has a flavor similar what I remember an almond joy tastes like.

Last edited by hdyhouse; 08-15-2008 at 08:22 PM..
hdyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Henry. I remember that post, I think I may try your version this weekend. I'll post back if I do.

Darn - I just looked, I don't have any almonds except for very heavily salted ones and I think I'll get some egg beaters for the filling so I guess it won't be this weekend, but I have made notes and will be trying this in the near future.

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 08-16-2008 at 09:35 AM..
Old 08-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #57
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Tweaker, here is the recipe I used to make a 10" pie.

This recipe reminds me of an Almond Joy candy bar, at least what I remember they tasted like.

Almond Joy Pie

Filling:
3 sticks regular butter, softened
2 cups artificial sweetener, at least 1 of which must be granular ( I used 1 cup erythritol and 1 cup sugar equivalent liquid splenda.)
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted (I used Nestle’s Toll House Baking Chocolate)
1 and ½ teaspoons vanilla
6 eggs*
1 baked 10” pie shell ( I used a l/c flakey pastry crust, but any l/c ready to eat crust would work.)

Beat butter and granular sweetener together until light and fluffy, then mix in cooled melted chocolate and remaining liquid sweetener, if any. Add vanilla and mix. Turn the mixer to medium speed and add the six eggs, one at a time, mixing for 3 to 4 minutes after the addition of each egg. Scrape sides of bowl occasionally during mixing.

*This recipe uses raw eggs. Until the food police got active, this was an eminently acceptable practice. However, as my wife is a victim of believing what the “experts” say, I decided to pasteurize the eggs before using to eliminate the 1 in 90,000 chance that an egg might have samonella. To pasteurize eggs, you must raise the temperature of the egg to 140 – 150 degrees and keep it there for 5 minutes. To do this, simply put the eggs in a pan of tap water and insert a digital thermometer into the water and heat the water over medium heat to between 140 and 150 degrees. When the water temperature reaches the desired range begin adjusting the heat to keep it in the range for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove the eggs and place in a bowl of tap water until ready to use.

Pour approximately ½ of the filling into the prepared pie shell and spread 1 cup of Angel Coconut (I used Linda Sue’s recipe which follows) over the filling, beginning at the center of the pie and working out to about 1 – 2 inches from the crust. The coconut layer should be about 1/3 to ½ inch high. Place desired amount of almonds (I used Linda Sue’s cocoa covered almonds, but any plain or lightly salted almond would also work) on the coconut and then spoon the remaining filling on top of the entire pie. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Linda Sue’s Angel Coconut
1 cup unsweetened coconut
3 tablespoons boiling water
4 tablespoons granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda ( I used liquid Splenda)
Place the coconut in a small bowl. Mix the sweetener with the boiling water then pour over the coconut and mix well. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let stand 15 minutes.

Last edited by hdyhouse; 08-16-2008 at 09:29 AM..
Old 08-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I guess you were posting when I was editing my previous post Henry so now I think I'll do this anyway. I'll brush as much salt as I can off the almonds and pasteurize the eggs per your instructions and see what happens. Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Henry, may I bug you one more time? What recipe did you use for your crust? I'm thinking of one of Kevin's flaky pie crusts, just wondering if there's a recipe out there that I missed.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #60
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Tweaker, I took one of Kevin's recipe's and tweaked it for a 10" pie. Here is the recipe I used;
1 cup Carbalose flour
1/4 C Resistant wheat starch
1/2 C shortening (I used the transfat free Crisco)
2 Tbls ice water

1. Combine Carbalose and Resistant wheat starch
2. Add shortening and cut shortening into the flour mix until the mixture has a coarse texture.
3. Sprinkle the mixture with the cold water and stir to combine until the mixture form a ball. You may need to add additional water, just until it begins to come together.
3. Dust the dough ball with wheat protein isolate (I used Arise 8000) flatten between the palms of your hand and dust both sides with more WPI.
4. Place between two sheets of wax paper and roll to the desired size.
5. Place in a 10"pie pan and adjust the crust to fit. Prick the bottom and sides with a fork, and bake in a 350 degree pre-heated oven until the crust is a light golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
6. Cool and fill with your favorite filling.