Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Pseudo Ingredients (being apparently rather than actually as stated) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/551903-pseudo-ingredients-being-apparently-rather-than-actually-stated.html)

Kevinpa 04-18-2008 12:46 PM

Pseudo Ingredients (being apparently rather than actually as stated)

3 Attachment(s)
I was playing in the kitchen today working on some Fruit and Nut refrigerator cookies and decided to use some pseudo ingredient I have been working with. The cookie dough has to chill over night so I will share that recipe with you tomorrow but for now I'll show you the ingredients.

Pseudo brown sugar (1/2 cup) can be doubled or whatever.

1/2 cup granular erythritol
1/4 tsp splenda quick
1/2 tsp yacon syrup
1/2 tsp not/Sugar

Mix dry ingredients well.
Mix syrup into dry as best as you can.
Put inside a zip lock bag and massage in the bag until texture and color is uniform.

Texture will be moist like regular brown sugar and the color of light brown sugar.

Pseudo Pineapple (1/2 cup) (2 carbs)

1/2 cup freeze dried cauliflower
1/2 cup pineapple davinci
1/2 tsp granular erythritol

Combine ingredient in nonstick sauce pan and cook down over medium high heat stirring constantly until liquid is almost all gone.

Use as crushed pineapple from a can.

I did blind taste tests and people could not tell me which was the real pineapple.

sungoddess 04-18-2008 02:32 PM

Oooooohhhh.... something to replace brown sugar. Thanks Kevin!!

Chelveston 04-18-2008 04:58 PM

:clap:

That pineapple idea is fantastic!

You come up with the best stuff! :high5:

Tweaker Geek 04-18-2008 05:49 PM

Very interesting!

retroworx 04-18-2008 06:41 PM

Thanks so much for the "pineapple" recipe, Kevin -- I mistakenly double-ordered the cauli last time I placed an order so I have 2 extra cans to get rid of! I'm thinking I might mix some into my yogurt or bake into some muffins. . . .

-Retroworx

Kevinpa 04-18-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retroworx (Post 10207694)
Thanks so much for the "pineapple" recipe, Kevin -- I mistakenly double-ordered the cauli last time I placed an order so I have 2 extra cans to get rid of! I'm thinking I might mix some into my yogurt or bake into some muffins. . . .

-Retroworx

The carb Price is Right.:up:

Cats for Texas 04-18-2008 06:54 PM

yacon syrup?

I've been really wanting a faux brown sugar and will be making this. But... [COLOR="Red"]what is yacon syrup?[/COLOR]:confused: This is an ingredient I've never heard of. Thanks.

Cats for Texas 04-18-2008 06:56 PM

Never mind... I should have searched this first. When I did, I got good results. Thanks for patience.

Yummy's_Girl 04-18-2008 07:20 PM

What a cool idea! Thanks, Kevin!

mac24312 04-19-2008 05:26 AM

Looks great!! Thanks Kevin!

lcmiller461 04-19-2008 06:27 AM

Kevin, where did you find yacon syrup...and can you let us in on the carb counts?

Kevinpa 04-19-2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcmiller461 (Post 10208487)
Kevin, where did you find yacon syrup...and can you let us in on the carb counts?

I have bought it several places online but it has always been the same brand. If you search for "NAVITAS Naturals" you should get plenty of hits. Be sure to research the best price because there seems to be a wide swing on what they charge for it. That is why I have bought it several places.

The label on the jar that I have right now says per tablespoon 7 carbs 3 fiber.
So for the 1/2 tsp I used it was 2/3 carb.

Barbo 04-19-2008 10:26 AM

For Kevinpa

Where does one purchase freeze dried cauliflower? I have never seen
freeze dried veggies anywhere? Thanks for your input. Your 'pineapple'
sound like a winner.

Charski 04-19-2008 10:57 AM

Would you really NEED to use freeze-dried? I'm thinking if you cut into small pieces and steamed or nuked til very soft, drained well in a colander and pressed out the excess liquid - that would work as well, no? You might need to cut back a bit on the liquid OR just cook it til it gets to the consistency of canned crushed pineapple - just a thought! ;)

Kevinpa 04-19-2008 12:25 PM

I'm not sure I agree that fresh would have the same texture but then again I have never tried it.

Barb I get mine at "be prepared" the same place I get the peanut butter powder.

Charski 04-19-2008 12:48 PM

I didn't STATE that it would, it's in the form of a question - just for an experiment! ;)

Soobee 04-19-2008 01:36 PM

One of my cookbook authors does just what you suggest Charski. I haven't tried it. First she salts and presses out the liquid. Then she vacuum seals the vegies in with the falvoring syrup. She states that this makes for a better and quicker conversion. She also stated that people thought she was serving fruit in her desserts, and they could not tell the difference.

Charski 04-19-2008 01:40 PM

Ooo, Soobee, great idea, I never would've thought to use my FoodSaver for this! I have the marinator container - I bet that would work!

Kevinpa 04-20-2008 07:48 PM

Pseudo fruit and nut refrigerator cookies.

3 Attachment(s)
Yeild 3 dozen

2 cups cake and cookie flour mix (carbalose version)
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter(softened)
1/2 cup pseudo brown sugar
1/2 tsp splenda quick pack
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
1/4 cup sf sweetened cranberries
1/2 cup cauliflowor pseudo pineapple
1/2 cup chopped pecans

royal icing
1/2 cup powdered erythritol
2 tsp cold water
1 tsp lemon juice

Combine flour, soda, salt and set aside.
Cream butter and sweeteners in electric mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
Add vanilla and egg and beat until smooth.
Add flour mixture and beat to combine.

Stir in fruit and nuts and knead about 30 seconds until smooth.
Divide dough in two equal pieces and form into 2 x 1 1/2 x 7 inch logs.
Cover with parchment and refrigerate overnight until completely firm.

Preheat oven to 375.Line baking sheet with parchment.
Unwrap one log and with very sharp knife cut into 1/4 - 1/8 inch slices.
Place on sheet about 1 inch apart and bake until firm and barely brown around the edges, approx 10 - 12 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool 3 minutes on cookie sheet before transfering to wire rack to cool completely.
When cool, drizzle royal icing and let sit 1 hour for icing to set.

lcmiller461 04-20-2008 08:02 PM

Those look awesome! I can't wait to try them!

magnamater 04-21-2008 12:01 PM

Looks good. With some spices they would almost be fruitcake cookie, although I know that is not what you were going for.

Thanks, Kev.

ouizoid 04-27-2008 07:40 AM

Kevin--I made your brown sugar mixture to go on top of the "reasonable facsimile of oatmeal"--Kudos! Really good--I've missed brown sugar and diabetisweet does not seem to agree with me--

CreekWatcher 04-30-2008 11:51 AM

Kevin, would you suppose that 1/2 teaspoon of blackstrap mollases would also work, and with no cooling effect? Thanks!

suzy345 05-01-2008 10:04 AM

Kevin, I made your recipe for pseudo brown sugar X four. I knew my hands could not complete it, so I used my kitchen aid mixer with the whipping blade...it turned out beautifully. Thanks so much for the recipe. Tastes great, too!!
Suzy

Kevinpa 05-02-2008 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreekWatcher (Post 10256989)
Kevin, would you suppose that 1/2 teaspoon of blackstrap mollases would also work, and with no cooling effect? Thanks!

Creek, I did try the blackstrap and did detect some cooling effect. That is why I went with the yacon syrup. The inulin in the syrup did a much better job.

Midnight 05-02-2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 10208613)
I have bought it several places online but it has always been the same brand. If you search for "NAVITAS Naturals" you should get plenty of hits. Be sure to research the best price because there seems to be a wide swing on what they charge for it. That is why I have bought it several places.

The label on the jar that I have right now says per tablespoon 7 carbs 3 fiber.
So for the 1/2 tsp I used it was 2/3 carb.

Kevin, is this powder or syrup with Nabitas Naturals? I found one that matched your count in the powder,I went on to look some more and all the other sites I found had nutritional counts as 2T for 22 carbs and 0 fiber. for both syrup and powder. I went back to find the original site and now can't find it. Also the ingredints list did not mention inlun. I must be looking at the wrong thing. Any more clues please? Thanks

Kevinpa 05-02-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight (Post 10265737)
Kevin, is this powder or syrup with Nabitas Naturals? I found one that matched your count in the powder,I went on to look some more and all the other sites I found had nutritional counts as 2T for 22 carbs and 0 fiber. for both syrup and powder. I went back to find the original site and now can't find it. Also the ingredints list did not mention inlun. I must be looking at the wrong thing. Any more clues please? Thanks

The jar says Yacon Power....maybe you are mistaking it for powder.

It looks like this but any organic raw yacon syrup will do.

http://www.navitasnaturals.com/produ...yrup_6-6oz.jpg

ouizoid 05-07-2008 05:30 PM

I was so happy with your brown sugar sub that I made the pineapple today (having finally gotten the ingredients)--it looks like pineapple, but the flavour was more sweet than pineappley which might be because my davinci pineapple syrup is elderly--might try ordering some new stuff and trying again--

Cats for Texas 05-07-2008 06:05 PM

Do you think some of the Capella flavorings could be used, along with a sugar sub? If so, I wonder if banana, coconut, etc etc would work? I did order some dehydrated cauliflower, but haven't yet tried to make "pineapple".

theislandgirl 05-08-2008 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 10288167)
I was so happy with your brown sugar sub that I made the pineapple today (having finally gotten the ingredients)--it looks like pineapple, but the flavour was more sweet than pineappley which might be because my davinci pineapple syrup is elderly--might try ordering some new stuff and trying again--

The Pineapple Syrup does taste very sweet, it is a sweetening and secondarily a flavoring syrup. It doesn't have that acidic tang that regular pineapple has...try adding a little lemon juice and see if that doesn't help.