Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Rebecca's Blonde Brownies with a Twist (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/534119-rebeccas-blonde-brownies-twist.html)

Kevinpa 01-03-2008 09:34 AM

Rebecca's Blonde Brownies with a Twist

3 Attachment(s)
I wanted to try Rebecca's basic recipe but since she was calling hers flourless, I decided to start a different thread since I planned on using my flour mix.
I also wanted to see if I could bring the carb count down on these brownies thus the twists.

Thanks for the recipe Rebecca.:up:

Yield: 9 Brownies

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
1 tsp Splenda quick pack
1 tsp LorAnns peanut butter flavor oil
2 cups LC cake and cookie flour mix (carbquick version)
4 Eggs, beaten
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup ewbw lc chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Combine wet ingredients.
Mix in dry ingredients.
Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
Transfer batter to a nonstick foil lined 9 x 9 baking dish.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.

Nutrition (calculated from recipe ingredients)
----------------------------------------------
Calories: 292.92
Calories From Fat: 217.51
Total Fat: 25.68g
Total Carbohydrates: 9.72g
Fiber: 7.07g
Net Carbohydrates: 2.65g
Protein: 11.23g

momov2boys 01-03-2008 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 9721585)
Thanks for the recipe Rebecca.:up:

No problem, Kevin! :high5:

magnamater 01-03-2008 11:57 AM

I'm assuming you could make the regular chocolate brownies a la Rebecca's Flourless Brownie recipe with the mix and cut down on the carbs too.

Is that your take, Kevin? Have you tried that? (yet?)

Kevinpa 01-03-2008 12:07 PM

You save 6 using the flour mix and 20 using splenda quick packs. And no I didn't try it yet.

Tweaker Geek 01-03-2008 07:09 PM

Those look good Kevin! I'm adding them to my list of recipes to try.:)

Kevinpa 01-03-2008 08:49 PM

I just wanted to add a *note to those of you with sweet tooths. The sweetness level of these may be closer to a scone than a brownie. I had one tonight warmed in the microwave and splashed with a little cc milk and swore it was a yummy scone.

theislandgirl 01-03-2008 09:43 PM

Changed out half the (I used unsalted and unmelted) butter for cream cheese; split the difference of 1 C of sweetener with liquid Splenda and Erythritol; added a pinch of salt, 2 pinches of nutmeg ;) and 2 pinches of cardamom.

Beat the heck out of the butter/cream cheese, added E and beat some more, the eggs 1 by 1 and beat the heck out of that, then stirred in the almonds/spices mixture. They are baking now.

I was hoping to cut down the amount of butter 'boiling' out, this way.

Will report back.

:hiya:

DBrown8614 01-04-2008 05:30 PM

Kevin, how is the texture of these? Is it chewy and moist like a brownie or a bit drier?

TIA

Kevinpa 01-04-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBrown8614 (Post 9731751)
Kevin, how is the texture of these? Is it chewy and moist like a brownie or a bit drier?

TIA

Drier, as I said above they remind me more of scones than brownies.
I did cut back a half of a stick of butter from the original.

DBrown8614 01-04-2008 05:43 PM

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I love the idea of the scone with this flavor!

theislandgirl 01-04-2008 09:34 PM

My version was moist and dense (not so chewy) but very nice, the cream cheese seemed to have helped with holding the moisture. Quite sweet, that was probably the synergy of 2 sweeteners instead of one. I dusted the tops with cinnamon and then cocoa powder. Very faint cooling flavor in the background (I did add 2 Tsp of not/Sugar). I'll try the chocolate version next, maybe a nice Chocolate Mint, yum!

The Cinnamon Cocoa Blondies were quite acceptable to my cousinly friend who tests my LC stuff now and then.

:hiya:

magnamater 01-07-2008 01:02 PM

I saw a Throwdown show on blondies...and they are from the toll house recipe made as a bar recipe. With lots of brown sugar flavor.

How would you add Brown Diabetisweet to this idea? or would you make your recipe for a Better Ch. Chip cookie in a pan? as a bar? or add molasses?

Just wondering.

Bobby Flay lost to a blondie with coconut, pineapple, chocolate (white?) and macadamia nuts. Oh yummmmm.

Kevinpa 01-07-2008 01:33 PM

Blondies are always tough to do lc because of all the brown sugar that is in them. If you replace it with diabetiSweet brown you run the risk of pushing your isomalt content too high.

magnamater 01-08-2008 10:21 AM

Kevin:

What about this for a blondie? It is your improved CC cookie, full recipe, as a bar.

2 1/2 cup lc cake and cookie flour mix (carbalose version)
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. coarse sea salt
2 sticks butter (softened)
1 cup diabeti sweet brown sugar
1/2 t. splenda quick pack
1 t. vanilla
2 egg
12 oz LC semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans

I haven't made it, just wondered what you thought.

Kevinpa 01-08-2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnamater (Post 9752855)

Yes I guess that would work in an 11 x 13 cut into 18 servings. They would come out to 4 carbs each.

Kevinpa 01-08-2008 09:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Janie I tried the half recipe in a 9 x 9 @ 325 for 30 min.

1 1/4 cup lc cake and cookie flour mix (carbalose version)
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. coarse sea salt
1 sticks butter (softened)
1/2 cup diabeti sweet brown sugar
1/4 t. splenda quick pack
1/2 t. vanilla
1 egg
6 oz LC semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans

:cool::up: Way more like a blondie than the one at the top.

magnamater 01-09-2008 05:32 AM

Wow, that was quick, Kevin! I have my DS visiting, doing LC, so will be making these for him (and me me me me me!) as soon as I can get into the kitchen with a few minutes. I appreciate the trial run. I surely am thinking I will try some add ins like coconut and some macadamias, with some pineapple flavor or bits, with some white chocolate chunks I have squirrelled away. And that might just be too darn good.

Tweaker Geek 01-09-2008 02:33 PM

Kevin, how does the carb count compare to the first version? 2.65 net carbs was pretty darn good IMO! I sure do like the looks of this latest blondie though, they almost look like congo bars - yum!

Kevinpa 01-09-2008 02:46 PM

They are 4 carbs each like I told Janie.

Tweaker Geek 01-09-2008 03:01 PM

Whoops! So you did!:) Guess I didn't catch that the first 3 or 4 times I looked! I really did look for the count before I posted the ? too!:laugh:

Tazznum1 01-15-2009 01:35 PM

Bumping for tonight. :)

dizneegirl 01-15-2009 03:46 PM

Bet these would be good if you replaced the wheat protein isolate, protein powder and almond flour with 1 1/2 cups of your cake & cookie mix... might just have to whip myself up a batch of the mix & try it out!

Dizneegirl's LC Congo Bars

2/3 cup wheat protein isolate *
2/3 cup almond meal *
1/8 cup milk & egg protein powder *
1 cup polydextrose
1 stick butter, room temp
1 1/2 cups equivalent sweetner **
1 1/2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs, room temp
3/4 cup sugar free chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350.

Grease a 9x13 baking pan, set aside.

Blend wheat protein, almond meal, milk & egg protein, and polydextrose in a small bowl. Set aside.

Cream butter, Splenda and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and mix until blended. Add dry ingredients, and mix on low until almost blended. Add chocolate chips and nuts, and finish mixing by hand.

Spread batter evenly in prepared 9x13 pan. Bake 25-30 minutes, until top forms a golden crust.

Cool 30 minutes in pan on rack before cutting.

Per Serving (18 bars, excluding polydextrose): 134 Calories; 10g Fat (64.1% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 35mg Cholesterol; 71mg Sodium. 1 cup of polydextrose should add 12.6 net carbs to the entire recipe

* WPI/almond flour/milk & egg protein happens to be my flour replacement of choice... you could try this with 1 1/3 cup Carbquik or 1 1/2 cups Kevin's baking mix.

** I use a mix of liquid sucralose and liquid stevia to equal 1 1/2 cups of sweetness. If you use all liquid, you may want to add 1/8 cup of your mixed dry ingredients to your butter when you cream it.

Tazznum1 01-16-2009 06:58 AM

Quote:

Kevin:

What about this for a blondie? It is your improved CC cookie, full recipe, as a bar.

2 1/2 cup lc cake and cookie flour mix (carbalose version)
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. coarse sea salt
2 sticks butter (softened)
1 cup diabeti sweet brown sugar
1/2 t. splenda quick pack
1 t. vanilla
2 egg
12 oz LC semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans

OMG!!!!!!!!!! They are fantastic. I even ate a little of the dough! :laugh::blush: