Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   In the Eye of the beholder. Puff Cereal or Snack Cracker or Both (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/529656-eye-beholder-puff-cereal-snack-cracker-both.html)

Kevinpa 12-06-2007 09:09 AM

In the Eye of the beholder. Puff Cereal or Snack Cracker or Both
 
First and foremost, I am bummed. I took pictures of this entire process and when I was all done my camera CD got corrupted and I lost all the pictures. As a result I only have the final product to show you.

That being said, this morning I was looking over my journal and was trying to think of something new I could do with my pita bread recipe.

The following is what I came up with.

2 cups of the above LC Carbalose cake and cookie flour mix
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp instant yeast
2/3 cup sf Monin caramel syrup
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil

In a mixing bowl combine dry ingredients well.
In an electric mixing bowl combine syrup and oil.
Add flour and mix with paddle attachment until a sticky dough forms.
Replace paddle with the dough hook and knead with hook for 15 minutes until you have a soft non-sticky dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. If you dough is too wet you may have to add a small amount more of flour mix to stiffen it up.
Remove the dough from the bowl and divide into 8 equal pieces and form into balls as you would if you were making buns and let rise in a draft free place for 90 minutes.
When they have doubled in size, take the raised dough and flatten between lightly floured parchment and roll the dough out to a 6 inch circle.
With a pizza cutter, cut the flattened dough as if you were making noodles.
Then cut the noodles the opposite way so you have 1/2 to 1 inch squares.
Place as many of these square dough pieces on a lightly grease cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10-12 min until they puff and are light golden brown.
Repeat the process until all the dough is baked.

Let cool and store in a zip lock bag until needed.

This made 8 cup @ 3 carbs per cup.

These are wonderful sweet tasting crunchy puff cereal or snack crackers.......
You be the judge!
BTW, the thinner you roll the dough, the crunchier they are.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...202/pcsc01.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...202/pcsc02.jpg

magnamater 12-06-2007 10:03 AM

Congrats on a thing of beauty, and something I certainly will try. . .adding to my weekend cooking. . .

What about a savory version? How would you go about that? Spices and parmesan. . .and no syrup, but water? I know you're on this!

But I like the cereal idea too.

How much protein in a cup, may I ask?

TIA!
Janie

Barbo 12-06-2007 10:12 AM

Kevin I am serious...
 
I've never met anyone as talented and diversified as you are when it
comes to Low Carb Cooking, capitilized because your name needs to be
in front of those words in a cookbook. Even George Stella cannot hold
a candle to the imagination and orginality of your foods.

Well off I go to bake Citrus Glazed Christmas Braid, this is what I am calling
your recipe.

Thank you so much, I think we all appriciate your work, we tell you because
we want to encourage you. I think it is a blessing of LCF to have you
aboard.

Blessed and Merry Christmas to you and yours, and a Happy Holiday
as well. :hugs:

Kevinpa 12-06-2007 10:39 AM

Janie you are right, as soon as I saw how these turned out I was thinking savory snack crackers. I'm talking LC fish, cause with the right cheese and spice I think these could be dead ringers. If I were ask to compare the sweet crackers/cereal, my closest description would be an animal crackers.

Protein wise, there is 40 g. protein in 1 cup of the carbalose flour mix so that would make a cup of these crackers/cereal 10 g protein each.

hth

Barbo, ty for the kind words.

Mallory 12-06-2007 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 9596786)
I've never met anyone as talented and diversified as you are when it
comes to Low Carb Cooking, capitilized because your name needs to be
in front of those words in a cookbook. Even George Stella cannot hold
a candle to the imagination and orginality of your foods.

Well off I go to bake Citrus Glazed Christmas Braid, this is what I am calling
your recipe.

Thank you so much, I think we all appriciate your work, we tell you because
we want to encourage you. I think it is a blessing of LCF to have you
aboard.

Blessed and Merry Christmas to you and yours, and a Happy Holiday
as well. :hugs:

DITTO!!!

Kevinpa 12-06-2007 11:05 AM

1/2 cup lc puff cereal and 1/2 cup cc milk = 3 carb breakfast.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/pcsc03.jpg

jigglenomore 12-06-2007 11:25 AM

Well, "Slap the dog and spit in the fire!", as Naomi Judd would say! This just beats all and we don't have to have eggs for breakfast anymore if we don't want to!! Yeaaa!!:clap::clap:

Thanks, Kevin for another great winner! :up:

Elaine

Panda120 12-06-2007 12:57 PM

How appetizing that bowl is!

I have a lot of Davinci Syrup flavors. As I understand it, Monin syrups are thicker. Have you a recommendation for subbing Davinci? Less of it? Add something?

babydollsea 12-06-2007 01:12 PM

The following is what I came up with.

2 cups of the above LC Carbalose cake and cookie flour mix
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp instant yeast
2/3 cup sf Monin caramel syrup
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil

Kevin what is the carbalose cake version? I only see the carbquick one...

Kevinpa 12-06-2007 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda120 (Post 9597685)
How appetizing that bowl is!

I have a lot of Davinci Syrup flavors. As I understand it, Monin syrups are thicker. Have you a recommendation for subbing Davinci? Less of it? Add something?

I thought about that and one of the reasons I reduced the amount of Monin from the amount of liquid in the original recipe was because the Monin is thicker and stickier. I was afraid if I used the same amount I would end up having to add more flour because the dough texture would not be right. Since davinci is thinner and more water-like I personally would try the original 3/4 cup or somewhere in between.

Hope that makes sense.

magnamater 12-06-2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 9596919)
Janie you are right, as soon as I saw how these turned out I was thinking savory snack crackers. I'm talking LC fish, cause with the right cheese and spice I think these could be dead ringers. If I were ask to compare the sweet crackers/cereal, my closest description would be an animal crackers.

Protein wise, there is 40 g. protein in 1 cup of the carbalose flour mix so that would make a cup of these crackers/cereal 10 g protein each.

hth

Barbo, ty for the kind words.

Well, animal crackers are my original comfort food. So ya know I'm trying these.

And I think at 10 grams of protein, plus some protein from Calorie Countdown milk, it'll get 'er done for breakfast.

WOW, I echo the kudos for your creativity.

p.s., my last thoughts have been. . .adding some PNB powder, and some flavoring. . .for one of those cereals. . .I could never resist, but it's been so long I can't remember the name. . .Capt. Crunch PNB flavor or something. PNB Crunch, I think. Yeah, I know, it will be tricky, figuring how much powder won't ruin the recipe. . .but worthy of my/your/someone's efforts, IMHO!!

LOVE this!

Janie

retroworx 12-06-2007 03:49 PM

"How'd the crunch hold up under the milk, Kevin" Susan asked hopefully. . . .

Kevinpa 12-06-2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retroworx (Post 9598454)
"How'd the crunch hold up under the milk, Kevin" Susan asked hopefully. . . .

Very well:up:

CarolynF 12-06-2007 04:13 PM

Kevin, you have a call..The Keebler elves want you to come work for them!!

You are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A true chemist in the kitchen..

Can you make a popcorn-tasting snack???

Kevinpa 12-06-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 9598562)
The Keebler elves want you to come work for them!!

I am the Keebler elf.:laugh: click my happy holiday below.:rofl::hyst:

Barbo 12-06-2007 04:56 PM

Kevin was that you??
 
That was so coooool. I loved it. Now I have to learn how to do it.

That really was fun. Everyone, go to see Kevinpa the elf.

Tweaker Geek 12-06-2007 05:41 PM

Very cute Elf Kevin!

CarolynF 12-06-2007 05:50 PM

I got this today, too..and elfed myself..but only once..:)

babydollsea 12-07-2007 05:33 AM

Second request...
 
Kevin,

What is the carbalose version of your low carb baking mix? I have been trying to do a search and cannot find it...

Thanks...

Marla :)

retroworx 12-07-2007 05:37 AM

Re the crunch holding up in milk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 9598504)
Very well:up:

NOW we're talkin' :up:

Susan

Panda120 12-07-2007 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 9597789)
I thought about that and one of the reasons I reduced the amount of Monin from the amount of liquid in the original recipe was because the Monin is thicker and stickier. I was afraid if I used the same amount I would end up having to add more flour because the dough texture would not be right. Since davinci is thinner and more water-like I personally would try the original 3/4 cup or somewhere in between.

Hope that makes sense.

Actually, I'm confused here. I would think it would be the other way around, that one would use somewhat less of the thinner one rather than more.

LaurieRobo 12-07-2007 06:18 AM

I'm a thinkin' CocoPuffs.... hmm.... on the weekends agenda!!!

CreekWatcher 12-07-2007 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 9598578)
I am the Keebler elf.:laugh: click my happy holiday below.:rofl::hyst:

You're much better than than the Keebler elf...but the Keebler people would never have enough sense to hire you, alas.

Mallory 12-07-2007 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydollsea (Post 9597764)
The following is what I came up with.

2 cups of the above LC Carbalose cake and cookie flour mix
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp instant yeast
2/3 cup sf Monin caramel syrup
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil

Kevin what is the carbalose cake version? I only see the carbquick one...

Hi, Im not Kevin but I found this one from his LC Pita Bread experiment..HTH

The following is the recipe for the flour mix.

1 cup LC Cabalose cake or cookie flour mix (12 carbs)

1/2 cup carbalose
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1 Tbs wheat protein isolate 8000
1/8 cup almond flour
1 Tbs resistant wheat starch 75
1 tsp not/Sugar

Kevinpa 12-07-2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydollsea (Post 9600017)
Kevin,

What is the carbalose version of your low carb baking mix? I have been trying to do a search and cannot find it...

Thanks...

Marla :)

I'm sorry Marla but I completely missed your post.

Mallory is correct, the carbalose and the carbquik mix are exactly the same except one has 1/2 cup of carbalose and the other has 1/2 cup carbquik in it.

babydollsea 12-07-2007 11:03 AM

Thanks so much!!
 
Mallory and Kevin,

Thank you for returning an answer to my post. I will certainly try these puffs! I always loved puff cereal when I was a kid! Kevin you are such a gem. I was outside shoveling the driveway...but it is finally warming up in the burgh! Go Steelers!!!

Talk soon...

Marla :)

Kevinpa 12-07-2007 08:53 PM

Hmmmm, I thought for sure somebody had ask me here if I thought you could make "lc puppy chow" with these.

Oh well! I tried it anyway.:laugh:

2 cups puff cereal
3 T. sf peanut butter
1/4 sf chocolate chips
1 T. butter
1/2 cup powdered erythritol

Melt butter, pb, chocolate chips until mixed well.
Stir in cereal to coat
Put powdered erythritol in a paper sack then scoop in the coated cereal and shake to coat.

I'm sure you could adjust the amounts to whatever size batch you wanted to make.

Does it look like Puppy Chow?

It sure doesn't taste like dog food.:laugh:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...202/pc04-1.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...t%202/pc05.jpg

crazywoman-n-wy 12-07-2007 09:51 PM

[COLOR=Red]Interesting!!!! I was getting kinda interested, tho "bread" cereal seemed odd, until you said they reminded you of animal crackers. (I'm not an animal cracker fan.) So I'd need to figure some other flavor out for them.

Then there is the puppy chow. I saw another thread about puppy chow cereal. The only puppy chow I've ever seen is dog food!!! :laugh: I guess I must live a sheltered life. :hyst: I'd never heard of puppy chow cereal (or whatever puppy chow that isn't dog food is).

[/COLOR]
Quote:

Actually, I'm confused here. I would think it would be the other way around, that one would use somewhat less of the thinner one rather than more.
[COLOR=Red]That was my thought too. At least I'm not alone in that thought, right or wrong. [/COLOR]

sphinxy 12-07-2007 09:53 PM

Now I know what I can make chex mix out of! yay!

Thanks!

Kevinpa 12-07-2007 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda120 (Post 9600040)
Actually, I'm confused here. I would think it would be the other way around, that one would use somewhat less of the thinner one rather than more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy (Post 9604486)
That was my thought too. At least I'm not alone in that thought, right or wrong.

Think of it this way. If you have 2 cups of flour and 3/4 cup water and the results in a tacky but non sticky dough, then what would you expect if instead of water you used 3/4 cup of a sticky liquid since the volumes are equal. You would need one of two things. Either more flour to absorb and coat the extra stickiness or less of the sticky liquid to give you the same consistancy as that of the mixture using the water.

Try a small experiment such as 1 T. flour and add 1 tsp. water to it. Then do the same with an equal amount of some sticky liquid.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:53 AM.