Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Citrus-Glazed Coffee Cake (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/523405-citrus-glazed-coffee-cake.html)

Kevinpa 10-29-2007 12:13 PM

Citrus-Glazed Coffee Cake

I have been hungry for coffee cake lately so I made this based on an old HC recipe.

Citrus-Glazed Coffee Cake (36 carbs for the entire cake)

3 cups lc cake and cookie flour mix
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp splenda quick pack
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp quick yeast
1/2 cup cc milk
1/2 cup Aquafina Sparkling carbinated water beverage(citrus twist)
1/4 cup ricotta cheese
1 large egg

glaze
1 large egg, lightly beaten

icing
1/4 cup powdered erythritol
1 T not/Sugar
2 T Aquafina Sparkling carbinated water beverage(citrus twist)

Grease 9 inch springform pan and set aside.
In a mixing bowl combine flour, salt, yeast, sugar, and splenda.
In electric mixing bowl with paddle attachment combine water, milk, egg, and ricotta cheese.
Add flour to the liquid and mix for 2 minutes until dough comes together.
Change paddle for dough hook and knead for 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
If dough is too wet add more flour mix 1 T at a time to prevent sticking until you have the desired texture.
Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces and roll each piece into a 20 inch rope then braid the ropes together.
Coil the braided dough into prepared springform and let rise in a draft free place until dough fills out the springform.(approx 90 min.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and brush risen dough with egg glaze.
Bake until top is golden brown.(25 to 30 min)
Release cake from springform onto a cooling rack to cool slightly. Run thin knife around edge if it sticks.

Combine erythritol, not/Sugar, and Aquafina to form a thin icing and brush it on warm cake.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/ccc43.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/ccc38.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/ccc39.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/ccc40.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/ccc41.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/ccc45.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/ccc48.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/ccc51.jpg

magnamater 10-29-2007 12:15 PM

OMG! You're a genius.

magnamater 10-29-2007 12:16 PM

And it looks like the old "Pull Apart Bread." Variations on a theme!

magnamater 10-29-2007 12:20 PM

In case you don't know the recipes for Pull Apart and Monkey bread. . .of course, the raisins wouldn't be in my LC version (or yours)

Cinnamon-Pecan Pull-Apart BreadYield: Makes 8 to 12 servingsIngredients:
1-1/2cups water
3/4cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, divided
1teaspoon salt
3-3/4cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4cups sugar, divided
2teaspoons active dry yeast
3/4cup finely chopped pecans
1-1/2teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2cup raisins

Preparation: 1.Measuring carefully, place water, 1/4 cup butter, salt, flour, 1/4 cup sugar and yeast in bread machine pan in order specified by owner's manual. Program dough cycle setting; press start.
2.Melt remaining 1/2 cup butter. Combine remaining 1 cup sugar, pecans and cinnamon in small bowl. Divide dough in half; shape each half into twenty balls. Dip balls first in butter, then in sugar mixture. Arrange 20 balls in bottom of greased 12-cup tube pan; sprinkle with raisins. Top with remaining 20 balls. Cover; let rise in warm place 45 minutes or until doubled.
3.Preheat oven to 350F. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until evenly browned. Invert onto heatproof serving plate; let stand 1 minute before removing pan. Serve warm.

Kevinpa 10-29-2007 12:38 PM

The taste is excellent and as I was trying it my first thought was Man if this had nuts and raisins in it I'd be in heaven!:up:

stephdray 10-29-2007 07:49 PM

Oh, I know what I want to try making!

That Girl 10-29-2007 09:15 PM

kevin, that looks beautiful.. it kinda looks like babka, a polish easter bread. have you thought about adding some orange peel to the dough? i think i will try this soon, we are on baby watch, my daughter and son in law are about to welcome a new bundle of joy, so my baking has been set aside for now. everybody here really appreciates your time and effort!

Kevinpa 10-29-2007 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Girl (Post 9429547)
kevin, that looks beautiful.. it kinda looks like babka, a polish easter bread. have you thought about adding some orange peel to the dough? i think i will try this soon, we are on baby watch, my daughter and son in law are about to welcome a new bundle of joy, so my baking has been set aside for now. everybody here really appreciates your time and effort!

Bella, the original hc recipe did have orange peel in the dough but since I did not have any oranges in the house I skipped it. I always thought it had a name but never knew it was babka.

Kevinpa 10-30-2007 06:24 AM

The next morning with coffee. :up:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/ccc53.jpg

rexsreine 10-30-2007 05:28 PM

We've been out of town for a few days and I missed this. WOW !!! This looks wonderful, Kevin. DH is not a huge citrus fan, but that texture looks so terrific that I think I could make it with cinnamon and vanilla flavors (and throw in a few pecans so DH will love me forever!) and have another winner. Let the holiday baking begin...

Ginny

Tweaker Geek 10-30-2007 06:53 PM

Ginny - I missed this too and it was referred to in another post so I checked it out. Boy, it looks good! I've added it to my list to try also. Let us know how yours comes out and any tweaks!

Kevin - great job!

Barbo 12-04-2007 03:01 PM

Oh YEAH!!

:love::love:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 9427288)
The taste is excellent and as I was trying it my first thought was Man if this had nuts and raisins in it I'd be in heaven!:up:

Thanks Kevin it is almost a twin, I am going out this afternoon and I will
look for a carbonated beverage to equal this citrusy one. I will put nuts
in this but no raisins as I'm still losing and I don't want to tempt myself.
Craisons would be very pretty in it as well.

Kisal 12-04-2007 08:56 PM

I haven't tried this recipe yet, and probably won't for awhile. I wonder, though, if something like dried blueberries might work to replace raisins? I can buy various kinds of dried berries at a few stores in my town. Trader Joe's might have them, too; I haven't checked there. My dehydrator is out on loan at the moment, and of course, it's not blueberry season right now.

That Girl 12-04-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kisal (Post 9589056)
I haven't tried this recipe yet, and probably won't for awhile. I wonder, though, if something like dried blueberries might work to replace raisins? I can buy various kinds of dried berries at a few stores in my town. Trader Joe's might have them, too; I haven't checked there. My dehydrator is out on loan at the moment, and of course, it's not blueberry season right now.

trader joes doesn't carry the freeze dried blueberries, but they do carry freeze dried strawberries, pineapples and some kind of mango looking kind for around 3.50 a bag. i know whole foods does carry the freeze dried blueberries, but they cost about 9.00 a container, the same size as trader joes size for the strawberries.

soon 12-05-2007 11:18 AM

kevin seriously you should consider opening your own online bakery.

Barbo 12-07-2007 10:42 AM

Recipe Report On Kevin's Citrus Glazed Coffee Cake

:hugs: First a big hug for making this. Second I got a big kiss for making
it for my DH. He said three times. "Are you sure we can have this"????

I did have orange peel which I used in both the batter & in the frosting.
My braid looked just like yours in the pan. I had be at a luncheon at 11:45
so I put the braid in the fridge until I got back at 2:30. Then pre-heated
the oven to 350 and turned it off and left the door open. I put my cold
braid inside and let it go until I judged it to be ready. Then baked it for 15 minutes on 325, turned up the heat after that and continue until it looked
wonderfully brown. The mild citrus flavor wonderful, I used Diet Mt. Dew,
'cause I couldn't find Aqua Fina. I did put a bit of nutmeg on top. When the
braid was cold, DH sliced it in half horizontally and I did a cream cheese
frosting with dabs of Jok'n Al's raspberry preserves. Placed the top back
on and then did the frosting or glaze.

The results are fantastic. Once again this morning, with our coffee we
had a slice that I lightly heated in the microwave and we were in LC
heaven. Thanks once again for a real winner. This braid has so many
possibilites with flavors that I wish you all would try it and perhaps by this
time in 2008 I shall be able to show pictures.

If I were on maintenance I would put orange peel, craisins and pecans.
It would look like stollen for the Christmas table. And throw in a few raisinst
too:p

LindaSue 12-07-2007 11:58 AM

Kevin, what's the difference between resistant wheat starch 75 and resistant wheat starch 70? The kind I have is "70". Would that work for your cake/cookie mix?

retroworx 12-07-2007 12:03 PM

Hi Linda Sue:

I believe that Kevin has said that one is just a formula update from the manufacturer and that he detects no difference in results or taste between the two.

Hope this helps,

Susan

LindaSue 12-07-2007 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retroworx (Post 9602064)
Hi Linda Sue:

I believe that Kevin has said that one is just a formula update from the manufacturer and that he detects no difference in results or taste between the two.

Hope this helps,

Susan

Thanks, Susan. I've got everything that I'd need pretty much to make this then and I can get the rest at the grocery store.

Kevinpa 12-07-2007 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 9602046)
Kevin, what's the difference between resistant wheat starch 75 and resistant wheat starch 70? The kind I have is "70". Would that work for your cake/cookie mix?

The difference is 5 % fiber and you will never know the difference Linda in the way of taste or texture. Yes it most defiantly will work in the mixes.

gettinserious 12-07-2007 09:14 PM

Brilliant as usual

Tweaker Geek 12-11-2007 07:38 PM

Kevin - another great recipe. I made it on Sunday and it's a wonderful dough to work with. I liked the cake as is but I will add some spices and probably nuts next time because I did find it a bit on the bland side. I'm certainly not criticizing your cake but for anyone like me who likes a lot of cinnamon in coffee cakes it's just here for discussion.

CreekWatcher 12-28-2007 07:34 AM

Bumping

That Girl 12-30-2007 09:07 PM

maybe some of the dried cranberries would be really good in this!

Ressy 12-31-2007 08:45 AM

Question

Can I sub plain water for the carbonated beverage or should I increase the CC milk to 1 cup?

Can I add in cinnamon and nuts and the dried cranberries to this instead of the citrus flavor? Should I add vanilla also?

Can I leave off the icing until tomorrow right before serving or will it not matter much either way? I'm baking this today for tomorrow's brunch.

thanks!

Ressy

Kevinpa 12-31-2007 09:02 AM

Ressy, I added the carbonated water for citrus flavor. Plain water can be subbed if you don't want the citrus. The cinnamon and nuts and the dried cranberries can be added to the dough but I think if I were doing it I would try incorporating them into the braid.(But thats just me.) Vanilla I would think is a tasters choice. The glaze can be done either way, but my choice is to do it while slightly warm so the glaze get soaked into the cake some. Again that is an either or and won't be wrong which ever way you choose.

Ressy 12-31-2007 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 9704118)
Ressy, I added the carbonated water for citrus flavor. Plain water can be subbed if you don't want the citrus. The cinnamon and nuts and the dried cranberries can be added to the dough but I think if I were doing it I would try incorporating them into the braid.(But thats just me.) Vanilla I would think is a tasters choice. The glaze can be done either way, but my choice is to do it while slightly warm so the glaze get soaked into the cake some. Again that is an either or and won't be wrong which ever way you choose.

Thanks Kevin! I'll be baking today!

Ressy

Ressy 01-01-2008 03:00 PM

Finished

I made my cake today after mixing up a batch of Kevin's carbalose cake and cookie mix. I used plain water instead of the carbonated drink. My dough was easily rolled and braided. I covered each roll in cinnamon and nutmeg and then braided and placed in the springform pan.

It didn't rise as Kevin's did....probably about 2/3 of that before baking. I though that was enough and was out of time to wait anyway. I put pecans on top and glazed it and baked it.

It's ok....the bread part is not sweet enough for me and does not look like Kevin's....It is not flaky but reminds me of the inside of a bread pudding. Now the cake was not bad tasting just very bland. I think it was too moist but it looked perfect when I was rolling and braiding it.

I'm gonna save this one by splittling what is left and adding the cream cheese preserve filling in the center.

I think I did something wrong....I'm not sure. My yeast is the Rapid Rise and fresh. All my ingredients are fresh. I carefully measured each cup of the flour mix, taping and leveling off the top. I timed each step especially the kneading part in my KA mixer. This dough was less moist than the others I've made so far and was easy to work with.

Any thoughts? I do know it needs more cinnamon and nutmeg and I want to add chopped nuts into the dough instead of just on top.

Can I add more sweet taste to the dough? How do I get it more flaky...more kneading?

I am a bit of a beginner at baking so forgive me all my newbie questions!

Ressy

Kevinpa 01-01-2008 07:44 PM

Ressy, admittedly this may not be as sweet as some people like. When I make sweet bread I tend to fall on the less sweet side and adjust the amount of sweetness with the glaze. You could easily add more sweetener to the dough also if that is the way you like it.
As far as the texture and rise, I can only guess that you may have baked it too soon and not long enough. The rise of bread can be a touchy thing and the times I give are the approximate time for me but depending on many factors such as temperature, humidity, and elavation it could take twice or half as long for the exact same rise. The same goes for baking time. I have had recipes say 60 mins and if I had not taken them out in 30 it would have been burnt. I am quite sure if the inside was like bread pudding then it did not bake long enough.

The last factor I try and stress about my flour mixes is that if you do not get them combined completely they will give you inconsistant results. An example being if the almond flour did not get distributed throughout the mix and you happened to to scoop alot of it in an application involving yeast. It will not rise the same as it would if all flours were distributed evenly.

HTH

Kevinpa 01-01-2008 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ressy (Post 9710777)
I made my cake today after mixing up a batch of Kevin's carbalose cake and cookie mix. Ressy

One last observation. Although it would not make a huge difference, I used the carbquik version of my mix when I made this. I appologize that this was one of those rare times when I didn't specify which I used.