Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 05:53 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ressy
Thanks!

Kevin

Thanks for your insight! Question? I like the taste of the carbalose flour mix just a bit more than the carbquik. So should I add some leavening ingredient to this dough to mimic that?

I'm gonna try again later in the week and will have more time to let it rise completely. The top was pretty brown....and that has happened to alot of my recipes in the last 3 months so I'm also gonna check that temp in the oven. It's a relatively new oven so I wonder if I just need to lower the temp on my recipes.

I'm gonna test the cake this morning too after leaving it out for the night lightly covered. I have found that the next day is better for taste and texture on each item I've made since attempting to bake again.

Onward....I will learn to bake....I will learn to bake...I will learn...

Ressy
Ressy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2008, 06:07 AM   #32

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
All I know Ressy is in the past any time I have made yeast sweet bread (cinnamon rolls for example) I had better luck texture-wise when the base flour was carbquik. It does not rise as fast but given extra time I get the rise I want and the texture has that pull apart feel of HC sweet bread. I have tried several times adding leavening to the carbalose to mimic carbquik but never determined a suitable ratio to say you need to add a certain amount to accomplish the proper sub.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:12 AM   #33

Also given the fact that sweet bread always have added ingredients to mask the carbquik taste people do not like, I have never found it to be a deterant.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:20 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ressy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Also given the fact that sweet bread always have added ingredients to mask the carbquik taste people do not like, I have never found it to be a deterant.
Ok...then I'm gonna use the last bit of my carbquik and make up this again.

My dh is so pleased with all this that for Christmas I got a bunch of storage organizers for all my flours and stuff....I also got a necklace....<GRIN>...

He is smart....

Ressy
Ressy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: blueenough
Kevin, would this dough work for cresent rolls? We used to enjoy apple dumplings which were made by wrapping a cresent roll around an eight of an apple slice. We then melted a stick of butter, added 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups of sugar, a tsp or so of cinnamon, and poured a 12 oz. can of Mountain Dew on top of all of it. We then baked this at 350 degrees until brown and bubbly. I know that the sugar and Mt. Dew can be changed. I also know that zucchini or squash can be subbed for the apples, but what about the cresent rolls? Would rolling this dough out, cutting it into triangles, and then wrapping the squash work?
blueenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/172/130
WOE: Low carb & actos
Start Date: 3/05
Did I miss the carb count. Anyone know? Thanks, it looks great!!
Sassay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #37

When somebody says cresent rolls to me I think of flakey, layered, crust-like dough. If that is what you are refering to then I don't think this is the right dough. On the other hand if cresent refers only to the shape and its texture is sweetbread-like then i see no reason why it would not work.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassay View Post
Did I miss the carb count. Anyone know? Thanks, it looks great!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Citrus-Glazed Coffee Cake (36 carbs for the entire cake)
The carb count will depend on how many pieces you cut it into.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
What happened to my dough?

Kevin and Happy New Year!

I made this on the weekend exactly like you did..The dough came together beautifully, rose almost to the top of the pan (awesome) but fell while baking..
You couldnt see the actual braid lines and it sunk to about half the depth of the pan..I am trying to pin down where to start changing what I did as Im not used to this dough..

Could it have risen too much? Did the 90 mins..Could the oven have been too hot? Had it at 400..
Im thinking, but not really knowing for sure, but could the oven, where I let it rise, have been the optimal spot for the rise..and then my kitchen was too cool and it started deflating while waiting for the oven to heat up? It didnt completely fall while waiting to bake, but it sure did by the time I took it out baked?
Any help would be appreciated..thanks
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #40

Mallory, my question to you is when it was done, how was the texture. Because I used carbquik for this I did not get the best rise either. If you look at the picture of the finished cake it only comes half way up the springform pan. Was yours more or less than that?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Actually Kevin, the texture was not great...I just could tell that it would have been great if it had cooked at the height it was when it was going into the oven. It rose just like your picture, maybe even a tad higher, but was half that when I pulled it from the oven..the lines of the braid were not visible anymore..it was almost a smooth surface instead of like yours..it was very dense and not that great tasting..

But the texture of the dough when first made was awesome..I think the carbonated water has something to add to the mix..thats just my theory..

Where do you think I should start tweaking?
Old 01-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #42

Mallory, I am pretty much at a loss here. I doubt if it was the water that made your bread fall. My only real guess would be to say it rose too much and ran out of gas during the baking process. I remember the couple times that I made this at the end of the 90 minutes I was a little disappointed in the rise but as it was baking I got a little more height. My try would be to stop with a 60 minute rise hoping for a residual rise while baking. other than that I am stumped as to the reason unless it is one of those altitude things.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Kevin for the help..just to back up a bit, I should have stated more clearly that I thought the carbonated water was a good thing..from past attempts at dough, this one, with the carbonated water, was so soft and pliable and really beautiful to work with..

I was thinking along the lines of too much rise (even in my baking days with real flour, my bread will deflate if risen too much) but I wasnt sure if this type of flour mix acted the same way..

Next time, Im only going to rise 60 mins or so (it looked pretty good at that point anyway) and watch the time for baking.

Plus, Im going to use saffron in the water mix to get an authentic tasting Easter paska and see how that works. Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #44

Version #2

sub:
lc cake and cookie flour mix (carbalose version)

add:
1/2 cup sf sweetened dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 tsp splenda quick pack (1 tsp total)

I made as before except I added the cranberries and pecans to the last minute of the knead process.

I got a much better rise from the carbalose version of the flour mix.

I will report taste and texture when it cools.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 01-09-2008 at 08:54 AM..
Old 01-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: StacyW
I am wondering how I have missed this thread up until now...

Can't wait to try these. I am especially excited because I love coffee cake and have stayed away from it for the last 70 pounds or so. Now I am at the point where I can "splurge" every now and again.

Has anyone tried freezing a piece and then warming it back up?
StacyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswalker1992 View Post
Has anyone tried freezing a piece and then warming it back up?
Stacy, I froze mine the last time and 30 second in the microwave and its like it just came out of the oven.

BTW, I pulled off a piece of this cake while it was still warm and closed my eyes and was like eating a hc coffee cake with raisins and pecans....Yummo!!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AddysMommy
Stats: 188.5/185/145 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: april 2012, restart feb 2014
bump
AddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
Oh Kevin, I hope you know that we are still enjoying your recipes and your genius.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AddysMommy
Stats: 188.5/185/145 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: april 2012, restart feb 2014
I agree!!
AddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote