Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #181

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Susan, It always worked with the simple white bread. I don't think I ever tried it with this recipe since I was shooting for the kind crust this recipe yeilds. I have found that putting the buns in a ziplock and storing them in the frige softenens the crust enough for me. My DW also tells me she likes the taste better when they are chilled.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Susan, It always worked with the simple white bread. I don't think I ever tried it with this recipe since I was shooting for the kind crust this recipe yeilds. I have found that putting the buns in a ziplock and storing them in the frige softenens the crust enough for me. My DW also tells me she likes the taste better when they are chilled.
Thanks, Kevin. I'm gonna try these for the first time today with a couple of tweaks (no WPI for me, I'm afraid). I'll go without the milk to keep things simple and as close to your original recipe as possible and just fridge 'em as suggested.

You're a sweetheart to answer me so quickly, btw.

Susan
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Kevin:

Just pulled my modified rolls from the oven and "I like 'em, I really like 'em!" (Exclaimed in her best Sally Field voice.)

Now, I suspect that as the designer of these recipes it sometimes pains you to hear what we all wind up doing to them, and you probably want to be absolved of all responsibility, , but I'm still going to hold you personally responsible for these and I sincerely thank you for your efforts.

I made the Carbalose version and I didn't really change change all that much: Because the WPI taste really gets to me no matter how little in a recipe, I simply subbed Carbquick for the amount of WPIs called for. I decided to sub with CQ instead of just using all Carbalose because I read here that the CQ rolls yielded a softer crust than C. I thought that the addition of it in this small amount might soften the crust for me some. Don't know what the all-CQ crust is like, but the crust on these was perfect for me out of the oven -- not totally crusty/chewy like a baguette, which I was trying to avoid, but rather with a slight thin crackle, like a pumpernickel perhaps.

Next time I'm going to try without any CQ, just Carbalose, 'cause I'm not a fan of the CQ twang and could still detect it here, even in the small amount I used. This did diminish once they cooled, however. (The CQ smell diminishes once cool and I think this helps.) My tweaked rolls could use more rise, which I suspect the WPIs would have provided, so I'm toying with the idea a touch more yeast (I used 2.5 tsp, but may go up to a tablespoon) and perhaps some lecithin granules which I read can sometimes help with bread rising. Toying with the idea of more sugar as well... .

Anyway, for anyone else reading that is CQ or WPI sensitive as I am (Mallory, are you out there?) this recipe is very adaptable.

Thanks Again, Kevin!

-Susan

P.S. Used same amount of liquid as Kevin specified, kneaded for 20 minutes in my bread machine which yielded a perfectly pliable, non-sticky dough, then removed dough and formed 16 tiny rolls

Last edited by retroworx; 02-01-2008 at 01:37 PM..
Old 02-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Hey Kevin:

Just pulled my modified rolls from the oven and "I like 'em, I really like 'em!" (Exclaimed in her best Sally Field voice.)

Now, I suspect that as the designer of these recipes it sometimes pains you to hear what we all wind up doing to them, and you probably want to be absolved of all responsibility, , but I'm still going to hold you personally responsible for these and I sincerely thank you for your efforts.

I made the Carbalose version and I didn't really change change all that much: Because the WPI taste really gets to me no matter how little in a recipe, I simply subbed Carbquick for the amount of WPIs called for. I decided to sub with CQ instead of just using all Carbalose because I read here that the CQ rolls yielded a softer crust than C. I thought that the addition of it in this small amount might soften the crust for me some. Don't know what the all-CQ crust is like, but the crust on these was perfect for me out of the oven -- not totally crusty/chewy like a baguette, which I was trying to avoid, but rather with a slight thin crackle, like a pumpernickel perhaps.

Next time I'm going to try without any CQ, just Carbalose, 'cause I'm not a fan of the CQ twang and could still detect it here, even in the small amount I used. This did diminish once they cooled, however. (The CQ smell diminishes once cool and I think this helps.) My tweaked rolls could use more rise, which I suspect the WPIs would have provided, so I'm toying with the idea a touch more yeast (I used 2.5 tsp, but may go up to a tablespoon) and perhaps some lecithin granules which I read can sometimes help with bread rising. Toying with the idea of more sugar as well... .

Anyway, for anyone else reading that is CQ or WPI sensitive as I am Thanks Again, Kevin!

-Susan

P.S. Used same amount of liquid as Kevin specified, kneaded for 20 minutes in my bread machine which yielded a perfectly pliable, non-sticky dough, then removed dough and formed 16 tiny rolls
(Mallory, are you out there?) this recipe is very adaptable.

Im here ! Im here! I am printing this as I type and will try the adaptations as Im pretty commited to finding a few good items as staples..I soo wish I could enjoy all those delicious things Kevins been making..
Thanks so much for posting your results..I really appreciate it!
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
I'm very sensitive to WPI and posted a thread a few months back about modifying Kevin's "just a simple white bread" recipe to get rid of that nasty taste. But with the Pita bread recipe, I haven't noticed any off flavor. In fact, I made a bunch of hot dog rolls and my husband said he liked them better than the real thing.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
I'm very sensitive to WPI and posted a thread a few months back about modifying Kevin's "just a simple white bread" recipe to get rid of that nasty taste. But with the Pita bread recipe, I haven't noticed any off flavor. In fact, I made a bunch of hot dog rolls and my husband said he liked them better than the real thing.
stephdary:

Could you provide a link to the modifications you made to the Simple White Bread" that dealt with the WPI? I don't want to have to make my way through that whole thread again

Thanks!

Susan
Old 02-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Anyway, for anyone else reading that is CQ or WPI sensitive as I am (Mallory, are you out there?) this recipe is very adaptable.

No kidding! If you got any kind of a decent rise (unless it was in essential part a result of the baking powder in the carbQ), then you've accomplished something I've never heard of before--getting pretty good rise in yeast bread with no WPI or wheat gluten added.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
This bread doesn't solve the WPI "problem" for me absoulutely, but it comes darned close...for me, it isn't really an "off" taste; I like (liked) a strong wheat protein taste in a lot of high carb breads; just not AS strong as it is in the amount neccesary to make low carb breads rise really well (it's a matter of the balance).
Old 02-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
No kidding! If you got any kind of a decent rise (unless it was in essential part a result of the baking powder in the carbQ), then you've accomplished something I've never heard of before--getting pretty good rise in yeast bread with no WPI or wheat gluten added.
Hi Creek:

I didn't get a terrific rise, as I mentioned, but still got a nice dense chewy roll. I did still have 2 tbsp of RWS in there, if that matters, tho I've made another batch with some variations since then that didn't even have RWS and I got a similar moderate rise. Could be that the tiny size of the rolls (I made 16 from the batch, not 8) may have made the rise I did get possible?

-Retro
Old 02-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Kevin I wanted you to see three things I did with your dough today:

First, hamburger buns:

Second, cheese bread with pepperoni:

Third, fried dough rolled in cinnamon and powdered erythritol:

Over here in Drayvania, we think this dough is rockin.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:58 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi Creek:

I didn't get a terrific rise, as I mentioned, but still got a nice dense chewy roll. I did still have 2 tbsp of RWS in there, if that matters, tho I've made another batch with some variations since then that didn't even have RWS and I got a similar moderate rise. Could be that the tiny size of the rolls (I made 16 from the batch, not 8) may have made the rise I did get possible?

-Retro
Thanks, Retro (just now caught your reply), that's interesting.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks, Retro (just now caught your reply), that's interesting.
No problem, Creek.

I'm still playing around with the basics of this -- just using minimal amounts of WPI 8000, no WPI 5000 at all since the taste gets me.

Does anyone know if the RWS, apart from adding better texture, contributes to the rise at all? With the elimination of the 5000, I could stand to have a bit more rise.

Thanks,

Susan
Old 02-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
No problem, Creek.

I'm still playing around with the basics of this -- just using minimal amounts of WPI 8000, no WPI 5000 at all since the taste gets me.

Does anyone know if the RWS, apart from adding better texture, contributes to the rise at all? With the elimination of the 5000, I could stand to have a bit more rise.

Thanks,

Susan
Answering that is definitely a job for Kevin, but I think he uses it for taste primarily (to dilute the taste of carbalose).
Old 02-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Answering that is definitely a job for Kevin, but I think he uses it for taste primarily (to dilute the taste of carbalose).
Okay, thanks Creek.

-Retro
Old 02-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #195

Quote:
Does anyone know if the RWS, apart from adding better texture, contributes to the rise at all? Susan
Actually Susan, RWS like almost any fiber will detract from your rise.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #196
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Actually Susan, RWS like almost any fiber will detract from your rise.
Just like me to be barking up the wrong tree, Kevin!
-Susan
Old 02-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #197

Tonight was pizza night for dinner and while I was whipping up a batch of this dough I thought I wonder what would be the results if I throw in 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.

Wow did it ever make a good tasting crust!! I was suprised that is didn't effect the rise either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00025a.jpg (72.5 KB, 71 views)
Old 02-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Resubbing again...I am just not getting the answers to this thread for some reason.

HUGS
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Try using the Subscription link under Thread Tools on the top right of the thread page...
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #200
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Kevin, I thought you had used this recipe to make hot dog buns, but I couldn't find it. I tried making them with this recipe today but had to settle for garlic bread sticks cause they didn't rise enough for hot dog buns. Did I just dream that you made them from this recipe?
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #201

Quote:
Anybody miss all beef hotdogs on a bun for 2.25 carbs each?

No you didn't dream it.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #202
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's it - looks just like in my dream!

Mine didn't come close to the size of those though, I did get 8 pieces and they were just like your first picture, maybe a tad smaller, when I rolled them out, but that's where they still were after an hour or so, I wish I could get them to rise like yours using this recipe. I can't imagine why, I didn't do anything differently and I use the pita recipe all the time for hamburger buns. Did you roll out and roll up or did you just form the rolls as you broke off the pieces? I just broke off the pieces, rolled into a ball and then rolled the ball back and forth on a cutting board to stretch to hot dog length.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Old 02-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
That's it - looks just like in my dream!
[COLOR=red]I was just about to take a drink of tea when I got down to this post. I almost sprayed my monitor & keyboard. Thankfully I didn't have the mug quite to my mouth yet. [/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #204

Quote:
Did you roll out and roll up or did you just form the rolls as you broke off the pieces? I just broke off the pieces, rolled into a ball and then rolled the ball back and forth on a cutting board to stretch to hot dog length.
When I weigh out the eight pieces of dough I take each piece and roll it back and forth two or three times between my palms until its that shape.

Remind me again tweaker, do you use a mixer or bread machine?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:50 AM   #205
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
Quote:
No you didn't dream it.
Kevin you are amazing!
babydollsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:27 AM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Kevin, I'm assuming the parmesan you used was the canister, or shaker, type; is that correct? Thanks for the post.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:30 AM   #207

Quote:
Kevin, I'm assuming the parmesan you used was the canister, or shaker, type; is that correct? Thanks for the post.
Yes the Kraft in the green can.
BTW thats an 18 inch pizza.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 02-25-2008 at 06:31 AM..
Old 02-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kevin - I used a bread machine. I just set it on the dough setting and let it go for 30 mins. of the dough cycle (the full cycle is 1 1/2 hrs. because it mixes, kneads, and rises). I just let it mix and knead then take it out, form and let it rise at room temp. The actual knead portion is probably 10-15 mins., I've never timed it. Do you think my dough may be being overworked?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #209
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
my dough won't raise again once it raises. i found that if you shape the dough right after mixing it into what shapes you want, let it raise covered w/saran wrap, that it raises great. then bake it...hth
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #210

Quote:
Kevin - I used a bread machine. I just set it on the dough setting and let it go for 30 mins. of the dough cycle (the full cycle is 1 1/2 hrs. because it mixes, kneads, and rises). I just let it mix and knead then take it out, form and let it rise at room temp. The actual knead portion is probably 10-15 mins., I've never timed it. Do you think my dough may be being overworked?
No, I actually think the bread machine does not knead the dough enough. I have had about 6 or 7 people email me to say that they started out using a bread machine and although it worked they never were able to get it to rise like mine until making it in a mixer and giving it a full 15 minute knead. I also believe Midnight posted those same results here a couple weeks ago.

I understand that if you don't have a mixer with a hook that you use what you have. But it does make sense that I get a better rise since the recipe was designed for a mixer and not a bread machine.

I have also taken a page from Alton Browns bread making book and added a 10 to 20 minute resting period between the mixing and kneading of the dough for all my breads. But that is to give the gluten structure more strengh and not so much effects rise.