Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2007, 08:59 AM   #121
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaokc View Post
Making these today, right now as a matter of fact. They aren't rising alot, more like spreading, lol. A little of both, actually. Guess I had too much water?
Was your dough wet and sticky? It should be very elastic and just slightly tacky but not stick to your hands when forming the buns. If your dough was not wet then I can only think that you might not have got the mix combine well enough.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2007, 09:08 AM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Was your dough wet and sticky? It should be very elastic and just slightly tacky but not stick to your hands when forming the buns. If your dough was not wet then I can only think that you might not have got the mix combine well enough.
No, not wet & sticky, pretty dry and a little tacky but didn't stick to my hands. Maybe I didn't knead them enough? Maybe I didn't get the mix combined well enough either. Of course, I will get it down, lol, just have to keep after it. Thanks for the tips.
lindaokc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:16 AM   #123
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaokc View Post
Maybe I didn't knead them enough?
That was the other thing I thought too. I always knead my dough the full 10 minutes with this recipe. I used to stop when I made the simple white bread if the dough looked right but I learnded the lc flour needs that kneading to develop the glutten.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Then that's what it was, I'm betting. These came out of the oven and I couldn't wait to try them. The taste, flavor was divine, the texture not so much. I will work them again (a brand new batch) since hubby and I have finished off the others.....can you say portion control problems?
Thank you so much for this recipe, Kevin. You are da bomb!! as the kids say today
I'll keep working with them until they look like the ones you made. Gonna have a wonderful batch for the big dinner tomorrow (if we can stay out of them that long). Anybody knows if the dough can be frozen, then taken out and baked like the frozen rolls you get at the store?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've looked and looked through this thread, thinking I had seen the calorie count, etc. I can't seem to find it. Does anybody know how to figure this out? Doubt ****** has carbalose or carbquick?
Old 11-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Linda, I told ya these are divine.

And I'm not Kevin, but once you get the feel of the dough, and the process. . .these are really not much time. . .other than the rise.

What I'd recommend is baking them but not browning them, then browning, like brown and serve rolls. (If you want everything ready except for a little heating/browning.) Mine today reached that stage. . .and I could have removed them, and then chilled the whole pan.

BTW, for whatever reason, I refrig my rolls. . .(I do all LC bake goods)

Anybody leave them at room temp?

Janie (who made 2 double recipes today!!!!!)

DH says they are as good as any he's ever had. . .kept asking. . .can I have another?
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The 2nd batch I kneaded for 10 min and they rose beautifully, but I must have made them too big, as I cooked them for 15 min. but they are still doughy inside. Ah well, put 'em back in for another 5 min. but don't know if that helped or not. Guess I'll find out after they've cooled a bit.
Made a batch w/ carbquick, but they dont' seem to be rising? Of course, I made a double batch w/ them but something must be wrong. I'll give them longer to rise and then try them again also, but not this time around, lol. Have to get on w/ the pies and such.

I agree, Janie, once I get this down, they will be easy to make and what a treat. I've already eaten enough of them today for all day tomorrow
Old 11-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #128
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Linda, I told ya these are divine.

And I'm not Kevin, but once you get the feel of the dough, and the process. . .these are really not much time. . .other than the rise.

What I'd recommend is baking them but not browning them, then browning, like brown and serve rolls. (If you want everything ready except for a little heating/browning.) Mine today reached that stage. . .and I could have removed them, and then chilled the whole pan.

BTW, for whatever reason, I refrig my rolls. . .(I do all LC bake goods)

Anybody leave them at room temp?

Janie (who made 2 double recipes today!!!!!)

DH says they are as good as any he's ever had. . .kept asking. . .can I have another?
I leave mine at room temp-they never last longer than 2 days in my house.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just took out the carbquick rolls. They rose more in the oven. They are good, but not as good as the carbalose rolls, but it might be because my carbquick is old....so guess I will stick with the winner (in our house). Put the other rolls in the fridge for tomorrow so we would stop eating them. Gonna be a GREAT thanksgiving. Thanks Kevinpa
Old 11-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #130
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
LOL Janie, I have 2 loaves of wheat bread rising and as I was mixing and kneading it I thought, "gee what a pain this is compared to making the pita bread recipe" I guess I'll have to come up with a wheat mix next.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 11-21-2007 at 06:28 PM..
Old 11-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
LOL Janie, I have 2 loaves of wheat bread rising and as I was mixing and kneading it I thought, "gee what a pain this is compared to making the pita bread recipe" I guess I'll have to come up with a wheat mix next.
In its own time. . .I am so satisfied with the pita roll recipe, I'll quit pushing you for more!! My niece said "I got you whole wheat brown and serves!" I (hopefully quietly) just went to my little ice chest and pulled out my ziplock. . .and thanked her for her trouble and ate your recipe! Yum!
Old 11-23-2007, 09:20 AM   #132
Blabbermouth!!!

I put these out for turkey sandwiches last evening and got accused of buying them.....
Old 12-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Kevin - I finally tried making this into a loaf of bread again. I doubled all the ingredients and let it knead the full 10 minutes. The dough seemed fine to me it was not sticky at all and seemed to have nice texture. It did rise to almost double in the bread pan but didn't go over the top so the top is flat, the bread does not have the inside "fluffy" (for lack of a better word), texture as your bread appears to have and basically is just a failure! I used the Carbalose flour blend this time. I'm going to give up on trying to make this recipe into a loaf of bread. It makes wonderful rolls when I use the C-Q flour blend so I will continue with that for sure.

Now, that being said, at this point in time, which do you find to be the best recipe for bread? I think I need to go back to the recipe using milk and eggs. Which would you suggest? Could I still use one of the flour blends with milk/egg recipes? I want a loaf that fills the pan, actually goes over the top, and is smooth and golden brown after baking. That's the other thing with this loaf, it has a very "rustic" top.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #134
Blabbermouth!!!

The two simple white recipes I use now are the whole wheat version and the white whole wheat version. I get 2 loaves out of the recipe and they end up being just as low carb as the carbalose #4 version.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:20 PM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Kevin. I'm going to see if I can find those recipes. I assume they are in the Simple White Bread thread? I may just try making another loaf of bread tomorrow.

I did make one loaf that came out beautifully, but now I don't remember which recipe I used.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:44 PM   #136
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Thanks Kevin. I'm going to see if I can find those recipes.
these are the 2 I concider my favs from the simpl white bread thread.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ml#post9261957
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ml#post9534876

Last edited by Kevinpa; 12-01-2007 at 08:48 PM..
Old 12-02-2007, 07:59 AM   #137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, my friend! Those are the two I copied last night. I am going to try one today. I'm going to bring my eggs and yeast to room temp. before starting and see if that makes a difference.

Two questions, on the loaf with with EVOO and 90 minute rise, was that a cold rise? The one with butter -- 90 min. cold rise or 60 min. room temp.?

Sorry to be so dense, but I'm having such a time with bread lately and I really want a loaf that looks like those in your pics. I don't know where I've been going wrong, I've made bread forever, both hc and lc, but lately it's just not working!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 12-02-2007 at 08:01 AM..
Old 12-02-2007, 08:04 AM   #138
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Two questions, on the loaf with with EVOO and 90 minute rise, was that a cold rise? The one with butter -- 90 min. cold rise or 60 min. room temp.?

Sorry to be so dense, but I'm having such a time with bread lately and I really want a loaf that looks like those in your pics. I don't know where I've been going wrong, I've made bread forever, both hc and lc, but lately it's just not working!
None of the simple white loaves were cold rises. I was giving it extra time to rise since I was stretching the same amount of dough into 2 loaves.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have the dough in the bread machine to knead. I'm doing the recipe with the butter. I'll post my results later. Thank you for the help Kevin.

Now, I gotta tell ya what happened with yesterday's loaf. I can't believe I did this, but when I was mixing today's batch I realized that I used justCarbalose flour, not the Carbalose flour blend!! All my flours and flour blends are stored in one place in plastic containers and I have them labeled, but when I was mixing it up I didn't even pay attention to it, the container said Carbalose Flour and I used it, but the one with the blend says Carbalose Flour Blend and even has the recipe for it attached and I stilll didn't realize it!
No wonder the bread didn't come out good!

I feel pretty certain that if I use the right ingredients the next time I try it, it will be fine.

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 12-02-2007 at 10:30 AM..
Old 12-02-2007, 12:17 PM   #140
Blabbermouth!!!

lol I hate when I do that.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just an update. . .I bought a hamburger pan (makes 6) and the hot dog pan (makes 10). Anyway, a double recipe made 6 burger buns and 10 hot dog buns. . .I would have liked them a tad bigger. . .so I'll be "generous" when I make the dough next time. . .maybe 4 1/2 cups to 5 cups. . .flour mixture.

Looking forward to this week's meals!

Thanks for a winning recipe!

Last edited by magnamater; 12-02-2007 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Janie, where did you find the pans for the buns? I wouldn't mind having some of them. Haven't made any more rolls, I'm afraid of them because they are sooooo good. Gonna make some for Christmas though.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Finally success! I made the simple white bread thread recipe using CC milk, butter. I got 2 very nice loaves, the taste and texture are very good, no air pockets and they didn't deflate when cooling. DH and I had some for dinner, the rest I sliced and froze for sandwiches. Thank you again Kevin! I've kept the links and I'm not going to lose them!
Old 12-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Buns second time around and foccacia

Yesterday I made the buns for the second time. I did a recipe and a half because I wanted larger buns. They were perfect. I think the first time I made them the dough was not quite stiff enough so the buns did not hold their shape as well as they did this time around. DH and I are very pleased with them.

Today I made another batch of this dough, but this time I subbed one third cup of King Arthur white whole wheat flour for one third cup of Kevin's flour mix. I turned this dough into foccacia. After the dough was kneaded, I patted it into a 10 x 13 rimmed cookie sheet that had been greased with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. I "dimpled" the dough with the handle of a wooden spoon and topped it with four cloves of chopped garlic cooked in three tablespoons of olive oil (NOT browned), a light sprinkling of rosemary, and a layer of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. After it had risen 45 minutes, I baked it at 400 degrees for about eighteen minutes (till golden). It is wonderful, actually better than anything you'd get at Olive Garden. Hard to stay away from it.

Thanks, Kevin, for this great recipe. Also, I just love have a big batch of the flour blend ready. So much easier than dragging out a half dozen containers of different ingredients.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsreine View Post
Also, I just love have a big batch of the flour blend ready. So much easier than dragging out a half dozen containers of different ingredients.

Ginny
Funny you say that, Ginny - I made the buns today also and made that very same comment to DH. What a time-saver it is to have the blends ready to go. Your bread sounds lovely!
Old 12-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #146
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsreine View Post
Thanks, Kevin, for this great recipe. Also, I just love have a big batch of the flour blend ready. So much easier than dragging out a half dozen containers of different ingredients.

Ginny
Ginny, have you seen the puff cereal and snack cracker thread that I did using this recipe. I am on my 4th flavor now with great success.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Yes, Kevin, I've seen that thread and the crackers are on my list of your recipes to try. Wish I had some LC neighbors with whom to share! We just can't eat all the goodies of yours I want to try!

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ressy
My second recipe to try today was these rolls. I used the flour mixture with carbquik and they seem to be just like everyone's. Not as high a rise which was hard on the pitas. They did rise enough when done baking that I could slip a knife in there and split them. I'm really wanting the pita chips for some dips for Christmas Eve. I did 4 Pita's and 4 rolls.

My son came home...took one bite of mine and asked for another. He also scarfed down a piece of cherry pie and asked for another.

It feels good to be in the kitchen making good things for me and my family!

thanks

Ressy
Ressy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:39 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
I made the carbquik cake and cookie dough version of these rolls the first time I used this recipe and I thought they were great, although they didn't give me a good rise.

Tonight I made the carbalose cake and cookie dough version of these rolls. When they were rising on the counter, they didn't look very impressive and I thought I was going to get dinner rolls instead of hamburger buns. (I only get six rolls out of my recipe and usually have to add a little more flour which has made me wonder if Kevin's rolls just look bigger in the picture or if there's a measurement error somewhere.)

Anyway, the point is, once I popped them in the oven they rose much more. The taste and texture was unreal. Soft. Meltaway. Perfect perfect perfect.

I love this recipe. If I could get a better rise from it somehow, I would never need another. But maybe Ginny's solution is the best one. Just double the recipe! :P

Last edited by stephdray; 01-04-2008 at 11:42 PM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:05 AM   #150
Blabbermouth!!!

I have a couple of questions Steph. First, do you use a bread machine to make your dough? Second, do you weigh your dough when making them into buns? Third, do you have a technique that you use when you form your dough into buns?