Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #91
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Mallory what you just quoted was my first attempt at the carbquik buns and that perticular batch I needed 2 1/4 cups of the carbquik. At that point in this experiment I was not being as precise in the measuring of the liquid. You have to realize that when I do these experiments I am a scratch baker using a stand mixer where I can see and feel my dough as I am mixing it so if I get an extra tablespoon or more water I adjust by adding slightly more flour until I get th feel I need. Now that I have made it a dozen times I know not to get that extra liquid so I am using only 2 cups of flour unless I am in a hurry and accidently use more. As I said, if you keep the liquid to the short side of 3/4 cup of water(meaning the water just comes to the bottom of the line on the measuring cup) you should not need more that 2 cups of flour. For those of you that use a bread machine you need to find the exact amount that works for you where you are since you can't react to more or less liquid.

I hope that makes sense.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Yes it does..thanks so much!
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Okay, having now made both carbalose and carbquik versions. . .my vote for the best "roll" out there. . .is the carbalose version. Absolutely by far my favorite LC yeast recipe.

I am so impressed with this recipe.

I did butter and place in a bag the carbalose version, and it is very soft that way. . .so if you want soft. . .that works. Of course the crispy way works well too.

BTW, I like my bread "sweeter" than most, and I add 1/4 teaspoon Quick Pack.

I foresee portion control problems, this is so good.

I've tried both with a stand mixer and a bread machine, and both work well for me.

THANKS! (will be making this often)
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Kevin, I'm thrilled to hear about the pizza (and see it in pictures). But when you said 'Make the carbalose dough' I assume you meant the cake and cookie flour mix using carbalose flour instead of carbquik?
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #95
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Kevin, I'm thrilled to hear about the pizza (and see it in pictures). But when you said 'Make the carbalose dough' I assume you meant the cake and cookie flour mix using carbalose flour instead of carbquik?
That is a correct assumption. I figured that I had been using nothing but mixes in this thread so why would anybody think I'd start using straight carbalose. Sorry I guess I need to avoid typing shortcuts.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:14 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
magnamater,

When you make the dough in the bread maker, how long are you letting the dough knead? I am going to make some loaves of the bread and other yummies before my kids get here for Thanksgiving. My machine has a 2 minute stir and 5 minute knead before resting and kneading for another 11 minutes.

I am planning to stop the machine after the 5 minute knead and finishing by hand. Is this what you do?

Also, have you made any of the loaves totally in the machine? Mine has all of the regular cycles plus the "Fast Bake" cycle that makes the loaf in less than an hour.

Thanks.

gs
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingsmaller View Post
magnamater,

When you make the dough in the bread maker, how long are you letting the dough knead? I am going to make some loaves of the bread and other yummies before my kids get here for Thanksgiving. My machine has a 2 minute stir and 5 minute knead before resting and kneading for another 11 minutes.

I am planning to stop the machine after the 5 minute knead and finishing by hand. Is this what you do?

Also, have you made any of the loaves totally in the machine? Mine has all of the regular cycles plus the "Fast Bake" cycle that makes the loaf in less than an hour.

Thanks.

gs
I do not let the machine rest and reknead. . .in other words when it quits cycling and dings I pull the pan out and unplug the machine. (all machines a bit different)

As I understand the LC yeast bread process, it would not rise a second time, so the complete cycle, even the fast bake wouldn't work if it ever "punches down" the dough. .but I might not know what your machines does.

HTH!

Really, you can have a bunch of successive breads coming out every 10 minutes to rise. . .with a machine, and only one clean up!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:51 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Okay, having now made both carbalose and carbquik versions. . .my vote for the best "roll" out there. . .is the carbalose version. Absolutely by far my favorite LC yeast recipe.

I am so impressed with this recipe.

I did butter and place in a bag the carbalose version, and it is very soft that way. . .so if you want soft. . .that works. Of course the crispy way works well too.

BTW, I like my bread "sweeter" than most, and I add 1/4 teaspoon Quick Pack.

I foresee portion control problems, this is so good.

I've tried both with a stand mixer and a bread machine, and both work well for me.

THANKS! (will be making this often)
magnamater, by put in a bag, do you mean applying butter right out of the oven and then putting immediately in a paper bag, to cool? (I'm interested in trying a softer version as well myself.) Thanks.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Am copying here the following, from a new thread I started:

...I made a loaf, with the following changes: subbed Miller Lite for water, added scant quarter tsp ascobic acid (vitamin C--this was not enough to make it as sour as sourdough), added 4 drops Sweetzfree (equiv 3T granular Splenda), added 1 tsp butter sprinkles, and put a whole pack of the (Fleischman's) instant yeast, which is almost 2 1/2 tsp...put in a loaf pan, covered with greased plastic wrap, and rose it about 5 hrs--about 2/12 in the fridge, then about 1 and 1/2 at about 68 degree room temp, then about 1 hr at about 80 degrees shut up in oven...it might have been almost triple in size...oven rise, however, was almost non-existent, and it fell slightly and unevenly (all of which is roughly the usual that I have experienced with this recipe before, with rolls).

...The result, in any case, was superb (also the usual with this recipe)...regular toast made with it is certainly not the equal of toasted Wonder bread, but very good...found that broiling instead on one side only produces a tasier result than regular toasting...because the bread has such tremendous springy scruchiness, it became obvious that a regular slice was going to be difficult at the end of the loaf, so I made the last one super thick and tried making Texas toast of it. This is something that has not worked well at all to my taste with any kind of low carb bread previously, but to my surprise and delight it came out beautifully (and I didn't even do a very good job of toasting it--it was a little over-done in about 10 minutes, which means I had the toaster oven on too high)...I think that slice of Texas Toast was the best low carb bread I've ever had, and between waffle breads, baking powder beer breads, and recently Kevn's yeast breads, I've had a number of good ones. Thanks again Kevn!
Old 11-13-2007, 06:36 AM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
magnamater, by put in a bag, do you mean applying butter right out of the oven and then putting immediately in a paper bag, to cool? (I'm interested in trying a softer version as well myself.) Thanks.
Yes, and it is very effective (too effective. . .love this a bit too much!
Old 11-13-2007, 06:38 AM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had another idea for this. . .probably the carbalose version.

Sopapillas! Fry bread!

Roll out dough after kneading. . .and cut into diamonds or triangles. Let rise a bit and fry.

Of course this is theoretical, haven't tried.

Normally eaten with honey. . .maybe LC maple syrup?

Whaddayathink?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:47 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

It sounds heavenly!! IF you try it, be sure and let us know, k?
Old 11-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I had another idea for this. . .probably the carbalose version.

Sopapillas! Fry bread!

Roll out dough after kneading. . .and cut into diamonds or triangles. Let rise a bit and fry.

Of course this is theoretical, haven't tried.

Normally eaten with honey. . .maybe LC maple syrup?

Whaddayathink?
Sounds great to me, the one question is whether or not it would rise at all after rolling out (it seems that, the way I do it, low carb yeast bread does not rise after I have rolled it out, and sometimes it doesn't rise very well after I have merely stretched it a little to form).

Thanks for the paper bag tip!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:42 AM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Of course the post was theoretical. . .but sopapillas don't rise a whole lot. . .just little pillows of grease and flour and yeast. . .pure heaven!
Old 11-14-2007, 07:03 AM   #105
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Of course the post was theoretical. . .but sopapillas don't rise a whole lot. . .just little pillows of grease and flour and yeast. . .pure heaven!
I think it would work....but I'm too lazy to drag out the deep fryer and then clean up after I am done with it.....
Old 11-14-2007, 11:24 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
And I was thinking of topping these little pillowes off with Kevinps'a icing!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:40 PM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Calling all bread machine users! In reference to this recipe which uses 2 cups "flour."

Have you ever doubled the recipe, since the machine will handle 4 cups of "flour?"

Wanted to know before I try if it works. Theoretically it should.

Janie

I have doubled the recipe in my stand mixer, worked fine.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
magna,

Seems like it would work. I am getting ready today or tomorrow to make some of these buns for the first time. If you make the recipe doubled, post your success. If I don't see anything from you, I will try it myself.

I am planning to use the dough cycle and take it out after the 1st 5 minute knead, which follows the first 2 minute stir.

gs
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
i have fried the #4 dough recipe and then drizzled raspberry syrup, sf that is, and it was delicious!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:26 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And, as you probably have concluded, donuts are soon to follow, probably.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
Kevin netrition should hire you to develop recipes for them!! Or how about mass producing your bakery goods? Hm how about a cookbook?? Ok I am diabetic and wonder if any diabetics have tried this stuff and how it effected bg levels before I invest in all of these products?
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon View Post
Kevin netrition should hire you to develop recipes for them!! Or how about mass producing your bakery goods? Hm how about a cookbook?? Ok I am diabetic and wonder if any diabetics have tried this stuff and how it effected bg levels before I invest in all of these products?
I use these products frequently and am diabetic and have no problems with my glucose
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #113
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon View Post
Ok I am diabetic and wonder if any diabetics have tried this stuff and how it effected bg levels before I invest in all of these products?
I am also a type 2 diabetic soon. These have little to no effect on my BG level within portion control limits. i.e. I don't eat more carbs per day then the limits I set for myself.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:13 PM   #114
Blabbermouth!!!

I made a batch of this using the carbquik mix today about 1 pm and let it cold rise in the fridge until dinner. Then I tossed the dough to a 16 inch crust and had pizza for dinner.

Wow, both the carbalose and carbquik mix make great pizza's. It almost too hard to believe that we can have a pizza like this for about 3 carbs for a hugh slice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00010a.jpg (61.1 KB, 86 views)
Old 11-17-2007, 05:41 AM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Texture and taste wise, did you have a preference? Carbalose or Carbquik?

Your opinion counts!

Thanks for the version!
Old 11-17-2007, 06:16 AM   #116
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Texture and taste wise, did you have a preference? Carbalose or Carbquik?

Your opinion counts!

Thanks for the version!
That's a tough one Janie. They both had great taste and texture. The carbalose one I made I tossed to a 12 inch where this carbquik one i made thinner into a 16 inch. I think I liked the thinner one better but I reserve judgement until I make a 16 inch carbalose crust.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:10 AM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Kevin I made the carbalose version into rolls last night. I just formed them into balls put them in a round cake pan. I let them rise in my garage for a coupl of hours then brought them in to rise in the house for another hour. They baked up beautiful. I think they even turned out better and lighter than the high carb rolls I made for everyone else. Great recipe
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:48 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Ok guys. I ordered all the "stuff" to make the rolls with, it came in Saturday, so today I'm running to the store to get the yeast. Can't wait to try these rolls. Might have to make some for Thanksgiving. THanks for all the tips.
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:09 AM   #119
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Made the carbquik version of the rolls again with golden flaxmeal subbed for the almond flour-love these! I will try to post pics later today.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:46 AM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Making these today, right now as a matter of fact. They aren't rising alot, more like spreading, lol. A little of both, actually. Guess I had too much water?
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote