Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #61
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsreine View Post
Very beautiful, Kevin. I like the flavor of this bread well enough to make it a "go to" recipe. Do you think it would work in the other yeast dough applications such as stromboli and pizza?Ginny
That is one of the next things I plan to try with this recipe. I would think the carbalose version would work the best.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Kevin, are those hot dog rolls with the Carbalose version? Man, they look good! If I had the time, I'd make them right now and have a hot dog. Pictures really "bring good things to life". Where's that slogan come from, I can't remember?
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #63
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Kevin, are those hot dog rolls with the Carbalose version? Man, they look good! If I had the time, I'd make them right now and have a hot dog. Pictures really "bring good things to life". Where's that slogan come from, I can't remember?
no, actually those are the carbquik mix.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:32 PM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sweeteater
WOE: Lower Carb
ok, where do I find the final recipe for these lovely works of art? hasn't there been some tweaking going on? I'm afraid I've missed something. What's the absolute best way to make these rolls/buns/pitas? TIA!
Sweeteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #65
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeteater View Post
ok, where do I find the final recipe for these lovely works of art? hasn't there been some tweaking going on? I'm afraid I've missed something. What's the absolute best way to make these rolls/buns/pitas? TIA!
The recipe is the same. Only the flour mix changed.
If you use the carbalose version of the mix you get a nice airy bun with a chewy crust and a better rise.
If you use the carbquik version of the mix yo get a softer hamburger bun type crust.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Kevin - Did you try this as a loaf of bread yet? C-Q blend or Carbalose?
I had a BIG HAMBURGER so I decided to make a BIG BUN....... J/K

A couple days ago I tried this recipe using the carbalose mix as bread. Although it rose nicely, it fell before I could bake it and was quite ugly.
It had a good texture and taste the same as the buns but the appearance will never work.

Anyway, this morning I made another batch but this time I put it in my 2 quart pampered chef measuring bowl and did a cold rise in the fridge for 90 min.
The following are the results of a 30 to 35 min bake in a 350 degree oven.

Taste and texture were perfect and it didn't fall.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you cut that bugger is half and put a burger in there, I'd like to see you eat it!

It does look great though. And that's Carbalose with a cold rise, right? I only have a 1-qt. pampered chef measuring bowl, but I might try half in that and a loaf or two in mini loaf pans or maybe there would even be enough dough for the bowl and a regular loaf pan, hmmm. I have very large bread pans but also have what is probably a 1 lb. size pan, I think the 1 lb. should work fine, don't you? The texture of that looks perfect!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Old 11-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #68
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes thats right tweaker. I was reading not too long ago about why bread falls before baking and the #1 reason is that it rises too fast. Since the loaf I made the other day fell, I decided to slow the rise by doing it in the fridge.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

On other question Kevin. Did you bake the C-Q hot dog and hamburger buns and the Pitas and Carbalose rolls at the same temp and for the same amount of time?

I think you said 400 for 10-12 mins for the pitas but I don't remember seeing time and temp for the buns and rolls.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
On other question Kevin. Did you bake the C-Q hot dog and hamburger buns and the Pitas and Carbalose rolls at the same temp and for the same amount of time?

I think you said 400 for 10-12 mins for the pitas but I don't remember seeing time and temp for the buns and rolls.
Unless I say differently I follow the original recipe. And as always the times are based on my oven and your times may vary.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #71
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Yes thats right tweaker. I was reading not too long ago about why bread falls before baking and the #1 reason is that it rises too fast. Since the loaf I made the other day fell, I decided to slow the rise by doing it in the fridge.

This is a common problem with rapid rise yeasts. I used active dry yeast the last time and had much better results-I don't like the rapid rise when I bake hc bread either.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #72
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
This is a common problem with rapid rise yeasts. I used active dry yeast the last time and had much better results-I don't like the rapid rise when I bake hc bread either.

I personally have never had any luck with active dry yeast when making any kind of LC bread.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
A few reflections...

As usual, all this is most fascinating to us bread bakers. When I tried this recipe this past week, it was the first time I had ever used the rapid rise yeast. I've always used regular dry yeast that has to be dissolved and proofed before adding. I can't complain about the general results with it. A quick internet search of the difference between the two yeasts showed that the manufacturing process involved yields something like 70% viable yeast spores in the rapid yeast and only 30% in the regular. Could be the reason rapid yeast is favored by many bakers. Theoretically, a bit more than twice the amount of regular yeast should equal the rapid...but that's theoretically speaking...

Makes sense that a too rapid rise would mean a fall in the baked product since that is most likely associated with a higher rising temperature which probably kills off some of the yeast.

The practical upshot is that next time I'll continue to use rapid rise yeast and will make sure the spot in my kitchen for rising is fairly cool (if I don't have time for the refrigerator rise). And I'll still go for a bit stiffer dough.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #74

Quote:
I personally have never had any luck with active dry yeast when making any kind of LC bread.

I made the first 2 loaves with the carbalose flour mix and rapid rise-definitely overproofed. I made 2 batches of the rolls & 1 loaf of the bread with the carbalose flour mix and the active dry yeast and turned out great. I am going to try your carbquik flour mix and see how that does with the active dry.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:58 PM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

There are sooooooooo many bread recipes and my head is spinning trying to keep them all straight! Am I correct in assuming that "the" bread of choice at the moment is made with C-Q blend (for soft crust) or Carbalose flour blend (for chewy crust) with just salt, sugar,yeast, water and olive oil? No more need for the eggs and CC milk for breads, unless of course one wants to use them. The newest recipes Kevin has posted seem to have the least (non-existent to me) after-taste or "twang" and are the simplest to throw together. And, there is no difference in the recipe if it's used for bread, rolls or even the pita bread?

As we've been experimenting with bread recipes all this time I've made notes on my copies of "best", "excellent", "wonderful" etc. but I think the ones in this thread now have to be "best", "excellent" and "wonderful"! I think I need to remove the older recipes from my notebook and just keep these newer ones so that I do not to confuse myself further!
Old 11-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #76
Blabbermouth!!!

What I find exciting is no matter which you consider the best or the bread of choice at this moment, it's the fact that we are getting to the point where we can describe lc bread with "best", "excellent", "wonderful" and say it because it is approaching the quality of hc bread.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I know you've had great success with cinnamon rolls. . .would you leave recipe as is or would you be going to this newer "pita" recipe for cinnamon rolls? Just wondering!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:07 PM   #78
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
I know you've had great success with cinnamon rolls. . .would you leave recipe as is or would you be going to this newer "pita" recipe for cinnamon rolls? Just wondering!
At this point I am not sure Janie. I am going back and making things with this dough as I can but it will take time. My guess is the carbquik mix will work better of the 2 mixes for cinnamon rolls because of the softer texture.

I have some pizza dough using the carbalose mix doing a cold rise now for a pizza I am trying with it for dinner tonight.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 11-04-2007 at 02:10 PM..
Old 11-04-2007, 02:42 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Life in the test kitchen! Of course I understand it takes time. . .I was asking theoretically. . .I just made rolls with the carbquik mix. . .delish! I think it is like the 2 old songs "Love the One You're With" and "When I'm Not With the Girl (bun/bread) I Love, I Love the One I'm Near" as to the Carbquik and the carbalose mix. . .

BTW, I much prefer the mix (Carbquik) rolls to the one I made before with carbquik. . .it has a more sticky doughy texture than crumby. . .oh, words leave me when describing bread.

Again, thanks for all the work you do! And it's true this is the best bread yet!

Hope the pizza is as yummy as I think it will be. . .makes me wish I had the dough in the fridge right now.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #80
Blabbermouth!!!

One of the best things I like about this recipe is if you have your mixes made up in advanced, you can have the dough mixed, kneaded, and rising in 15 minutes. Talk about a time saver.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #81

I just posted a recipe for LC Chocolate-Glazed Pumpkin Cookies make with the Carbquik version with 1 change-I was out of almond meal so I used golden flaxmeal instead. Came out tender and cakelike. You're right Kevin I didn't notice any Carbquik twang.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:05 PM   #82
Blabbermouth!!!

The birth of a Pizza. A story in pictures.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:26 PM   #83
Blabbermouth!!!

OK, a small narrative.

Mix Carbalose dough.
90 minute cold rise.
Punch down dough.
Toss to size of the pan.
Add sauce and toppings.
Bake for 20 min in a 400 degree oven.
Enjoy!

Best tasting and texture pizza yet.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
cool rise doughs

Kevin,

I have read the threads of your breads several times and I have a question.

When you do the cool rise for pizza, are you letting it rise for 90 minutes in the refrigerator, punching down the pizza dough, shaping it and then baking the pizza?

Then how long are you letting the dough for a loaf of bread rise in the frig before you bake it in the oven? I assume that you are getting a full enough rise so that you don't take it out and let it rise more before putting it in the oven.

Sorry if my questions are answered in some of the previous threads, but my head swims with the info the more that I read the threads.

All the bread recipes look yummy and my Netrition order is on its way, so pizza and bread here I come!!

gs
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #85
Blabbermouth!!!

GS, when I say cold rise I mean a full rise in the fridge. Bread dough will rise in cold temperatures, just a little slower. This dough in a warm place doubles or more in about 60 minutes. In the fridge it takes about 90 minutes.

Just to make it clear, this dough does not have to be a cold rise to make pizza.....you can do it with a normal rise.

The cold rise is my preference. I find it much easier to toss after being chilled and I think the texture is better.....you may or may not agree.

Also, pizza, calzone, and pita doughs are the only lc yeast dough applications that get punched down.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Can you get your DW to take a picture of you tossing the pizza?

ROFLOL, if I was doing the tossing!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:09 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Hi Kevin and everyone else!

I have been following the bread experiments and made a batch today that turned out quite well, with a few lingering questions. I tried making buns today, hoping for a softer hamburger type roll but ended up with a more of a crusty roll.

Because I was out of carbquick, I made up the carbalose flour mix and used that in my bread maker, increasing the amount of flour mixed used from 2 to 2 1/4 cups as I saw in one of Kevins earlier posts. Question #1:
Was this increase in the amount yoou used right off the start, or was the increase in having to add to the dough as it was mixing? I put it all in at once and the dough felt fine when I took it out of the machine (not sticky just nice and tacky)

Now I know Kevin doesnt use a breadmaker but I only used it for the mixing and kneading (no food processor). The setting I have had a mix and knead that only lasted about 5-10 mins then it was going to rise and then knead again. I wasnt sure about the first rise so I took it out right after the kneading and shaped into balls, let rise in draft free place and got a really nice rise (not like Kevins but still very nice). Question #2 For those of you who use a bread machine, should I have let it mix, knead, rise and knead again then shape into balls or was the small amount I let it go enough? Didnt seem like the 5-10mins was enough from what I have read here?

Question #3

Im assuming from all the reading Ive done that the carbquick would give a softer roll and the carbalose gives a chewier version? If I only had carbalose, what could I add/omit to make them softer? I baked for 30 mins at 350..lovely color..

Thanks so much to all who have experimented and passed on your findings..its extremely helpful for those of us, especially me, who are trying to have some "staples" in the house to keep my family from feeling like they are someone missing out of "what everyone else is eating"
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

Mallory the amount of flour you need depends on several things: humidity in the air, how precise you measure the liquid you use, plus several others. After making this recipe several times I use on the short side of 3/4 cup of water and have not had to add any flour other than the 2 cups called for.

As far as the bread machine goes.....the LC flours will not give you a 2nd rise so you do not want to let it go through the 2nd cycle of kneading.

Lastly as long as you don't know exactly what and in what measurements they add to carbalose to make carbquik I don't think you will get the same results using the carbalose mix.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Oh great!

Thanks for the reply Kevin..Humidity is not a factor here and Im very precise is my measruing as I have ruined too many things from not being careful Now that being said, I guess where Im getting a bit confused is in the end of this post..

Quote:
Just for kicks and giggles, I made this recipe this morning using my Carbquik cake and cookie flour mix. The results, I must say, were a bit of a surprise. Although the rise was not as high, they made it to at least 7/8 of the carbalose version and by no means lacking in that catagory. Unlike the carbalose buns which had a chewy crust, these reminded me more of a soft hamburger bun. The inside was very light and airy and had no off taste what so ever. In short, I'm impressed.
I had to add an extra 1/4 flour mix (bringing it to 2 1/4 cup) to the knead process to get the dough to the texture that I thought it should be, but that still brought them in at 2.5 carbs each. I will be curious to see how both of these versions work as a loaf of bread.

So I made up your carbalose mixture but added another 1/4 cup like above?? Should I have just followed your original directions like the post a bit previous?
Sorry if this sounds confusing..
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mallory, I think Kevin just used 2 1/4 cups of the flour blend as prepared, not by adding the extra to make the blend. Hope that helps.