Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2007, 08:24 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Kevin - sorry I was so long getting back, it was busy around here today. I'll be anxious to hear your results with a longer knead time. I'm going to try the buns with the Carbalose version flour blend after I've used these up. I had another one today and they truly are the best textured of any before! And the crust is so perfect I can't believe it (sure hope they turn out this good again!), other crusts have always had that low carb feel in that I couldn't bite right through the crust, kinda had to bite and pull I don't know if you know what I mean or not but these rolls just about melt in your mouth!

Lisa - did you make the Carbalose or C-Q version? And did yours rise as much as Kevin's? The total dough cycle on my bread machine is 30 minutes also and I figure the first 10 mins. (approx.) are just blending the ingredients together and the last 20 is the knead, is that the same as yours?

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2007, 11:07 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: emijan
Stats: 195/getting there/140
WOE: Intuitive Eating= the way God planned it
can someone have mercy on this poor soul who never thought she willhave bread that tastes good any more?
I am leaving town for 2 weeks and will stay with a chef that makes yumee stuff.....it is always tempting....can you tell me exactly what to get at the store for this? I do not have any lc mixes of anything. I thought I get it at the store after getting to my friend's house and making some so I can enjoy some of the 'regular' foods. TIA
emijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:35 AM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by emijan View Post
can someone have mercy on this poor soul who never thought she willhave bread that tastes good any more?
I am leaving town for 2 weeks and will stay with a chef that makes yumee stuff.....it is always tempting....can you tell me exactly what to get at the store for this? I do not have any lc mixes of anything. I thought I get it at the store after getting to my friend's house and making some so I can enjoy some of the 'regular' foods. TIA
emijan, this is more than likely not what you want to hear, but the ingredients you need to make this bread can not be found in your local store. You would need to order it online from netrition.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:20 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
emijan, this is more than likely not what you want to hear, but the ingredients you need to make this bread can not be found in your local store. You would need to order it online from netrition.
just figured it out.....ran to walmart....it is 1am here.....they had NOTHING.....I comforted my self by getting redi-whip and sf jellow.
I think that not experimenting with real lc cooking (instead of a meat only dish) has caused falling off that wagen.....can' do it anymore..I have severe bursitis in my hips shoulders and elbows...and I am a nurse..
I will order it from them online.
how long does it take to get stuff (so i can plan arrival time) also they are out of the something something 5000 () how can I get it?

My journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...n-journal.html
Old 10-29-2007, 01:43 AM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
just figured it out.....ran to walmart....it is 1am here.....they had NOTHING.....I comforted my self by getting redi-whip and sf jellow.
I think that not experimenting with real lc cooking (instead of a meat only dish) has caused falling off that wagen.....can' do it anymore..I have severe bursitis in my hips shoulders and elbows...and I am a nurse..
how long does it take to get stuff (so i can plan arrival time) also they are out of the something something 5000 () how can I get it?
Netrition is the only place I know to get wheat protein isolate 5000. Hopefully they will be back in stock soon. Maybe if Tom from netrition sees this he can give us an idea when that might be.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:49 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

well, since you are awake (and why) can you tell me if you have come up with sourdough bread? it is a major weakness of mine....
also if I make the 8 cup mix...do you think putting it in a zippy and storing it in a cabinet it would hold for ???? any amount of time?
Old 10-29-2007, 02:03 AM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
well, since you are awake (and why) can you tell me if you have come up with sourdough bread? it is a major weakness of mine....
also if I make the 8 cup mix...do you think putting it in a zippy and storing it in a cabinet it would hold for ???? any amount of time?
I am not a big fan of sourdough so i have not made the attempt. A few others have made sourdough that they liked but they had to use a certain amount of regular flour and a starter to do it. As far as this mix goes, it would depend on how often you used it. I keep mine in an air tight containor in my pantry but 8 cups last me no more that 2 weeks tops.....sometime only a week if I am in experimentation mode.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:45 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Quote:

Depending on where you are located, an order form netrition takes, on average, three business days.

When i make Kevinpa's mix I store it in an airtight small canister in the fridge, and it keeps a long time.

Hope that helps
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:29 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kevin - Did you try this as a loaf of bread yet? C-Q blend or Carbalose?
Old 10-29-2007, 05:44 AM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Kevin - Did you try this as a loaf of bread yet? C-Q blend or Carbalose?
No, but I will be this week sometime.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:40 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great, I'll be watching. The buns are best for sandwiches, but occasionally I like toast and ya just need a good slice of bread for toast IMO!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:14 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

thanks for all the help..I think i will get lc bread at the store (there is a brand that 2 slices are 1 carbs that I like) and put an order just before I get home from vacation.
I am really hoping that starting to make lc food will help since I can't tolerate carbs medically.

re sourdough: I like it very very sour and I heard there is a powder I can use instead of a started.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:28 AM   #43
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Kevin - sorry I was so long getting back, it was busy around here today. I'll be anxious to hear your results with a longer knead time. I'm going to try the buns with the Carbalose version flour blend after I've used these up. I had another one today and they truly are the best textured of any before! And the crust is so perfect I can't believe it (sure hope they turn out this good again!), other crusts have always had that low carb feel in that I couldn't bite right through the crust, kinda had to bite and pull I don't know if you know what I mean or not but these rolls just about melt in your mouth!

Lisa - did you make the Carbalose or C-Q version? And did yours rise as much as Kevin's? The total dough cycle on my bread machine is 30 minutes also and I figure the first 10 mins. (approx.) are just blending the ingredients together and the last 20 is the knead, is that the same as yours?

Used the carbalose version and my machine sounds the same as yours. I am wary of the Carbquik twang but may give that a whirl.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SNUGGS11
Stats: 165/117/110?
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: JANUARY 2003-maint.
Do you think these buns-if smaller would make good rolls? I'm thinking of Thanksgiving. I need a good roll recipe that will fool non lc! If you don't tell they won't know-lol
SNUGGS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 AM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNUGGS11 View Post
Do you think these buns-if smaller would make good rolls? I'm thinking of Thanksgiving. I need a good roll recipe that will fool non lc! If you don't tell they won't know-lol
I would say yes snuggs. I know I would not hesitate to serve them to non lc's.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Oh, Kevin.

I'm a happily married woman, but this recipe could lure me to some serious infidelity.

I just made this recipe (the Carbquik version) into eight buns. They didn't rise as much as I'd hoped, but the texture just about made my knees weak. Now _this_ is the soft, melt-away bread that I have dreamed of. I put butter on a roll hot out of the oven and it was delicious.

I'm fairly certain I could serve this to a high carb guest at my dinner table and it wouldn't raise any suspicions with them. I didn't have any problem with the WPI bitterness or Carbquik tang. And it smelled wonderful.

This is a winner.

I'm trying to think if there's anything I can do to get a better rise out of it, but I'm afraid to mess it up. These were just lovely.

Last edited by stephdray; 10-30-2007 at 05:48 PM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Had been trying to be "good" and not make too many goodies with the holidays coming up, but broke down this morning to make Kevin's new rolls. Mine did not rise as high as Kevin's nor get that "tight balloon" look I so much admired. I did use the instant yeast and did have to add extra flour mixture. Perhaps my dough was still too soft to hold the structure or perhaps I let them raise too much - even though they were doubled after 40 minutes and I baked them. I will try again soon to get that gorgeous rise. However, I must say, these were the BEST TASTING of all of Kevin's breads, which surprised me because there is no butter, milk, or egg in the recipe. It's got to be the flour blend. Texture is EXCELLENT, too! DH said these would be perfect blanketed in a nice,creamy sausage gravy...guess what he wants Saturday morning?

I am thinking these are the solution to the bread part of Thanksgiving traditional bread stuffing as well as dinner rolls. THANK YOU, Kevin!

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsreine View Post
nor get that "tight balloon" look I so much admired.
Ginny my MIL taught me how to do that. It is not so much the texture of the dough as it is the process of forming the buns before the rise. Also I am not sure my instructions would be very clear without a visual aid. The next time I make these I will get my DW to take a few pictures of how I do it since it takes 2 hands to do. Then I will post them with my narrative.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Looking forward to the instructions and pictures.

Thanks!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cricket4t
Stats: 285/200/160
WOE: Started with Atkins/Swithched to Caveman-Type
Start Date: May 3, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Looking forward to the instructions and pictures.

Thanks!

Me too!!!!!
Cricket4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsreine View Post
I did use the instant yeast and did have to add extra flour mixture. Perhaps my dough was still too soft to hold the structure or perhaps I let them raise too much
Ginny
I should note that I also ended up having to add quite a bit of flour to the mixture in order to be able to form it into dough balls, both when I made this as buns and when I made it into monkey bread for desert the other day and I'm wondering if that's what inhibited the rise...
Old 11-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
I should note that I also ended up having to add quite a bit of flour to the mixture in order to be able to form it into dough balls
What are you calling quite a bit? When I have made these the most I have ever added was 2 Tablespoons. If you are using more than that you need to cut back on the amount of water you are using.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kayecat
Stats: 220/211/160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: many times 9-1-97
I also had to add quite a bit of flower. Probably over 1/4 to 1/3 cup at least.
kayecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
What are you calling quite a bit? When I have made these the most I have ever added was 2 Tablespoons. If you are using more than that you need to cut back on the amount of water you are using.
At least 1/3 cup! I'll try cutting down on the water next time as you advise. And trust me, there will be a next time.

I have a hard time judging what the "right" consistency of the dough is supposed to be, in almost any recipe, so when it comes to bread, I tend to err on the side of, "I can pick it up without it sticking to my fingers like cookie dough" but maybe that's the wrong standard. Are there any tips you can give for that?

(P.S. I'm not sure if you saw in other threads, but I used this dough to make a delicious monkey bread yesterday, and it has become my new l/c bread of choice.)

Last edited by stephdray; 11-01-2007 at 06:58 PM..
Old 11-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Kevin and all who commented. I was also thinking that maybe our almond flours are slightly different. Mine is blanched and, while it seems fine enough, it still gave a slightly "bumpy" texture to the dough. Perhaps a whirl in the blender before using would help? At any rate, I'm anxious to see the two-handed method of roll formation!

Thanks, Ginny
Old 11-02-2007, 06:15 AM   #56
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I just break off the pieces of dough and shape them. You pull the top part of the roll smooth and tuck the folded or pulled ends under-kind of like making a purse or upside down dim sum. Your dough should be silky and pliable not sticky-I usually have to add a little water when the dough is mixing-I've been baking bread so long I can tell as it's mixing whether it's going to be the right consistency. My dough is a tiny bit bumpy but it hasn't affected the final product.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:57 AM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

Anybody miss all beef hotdogs on a bun for 2.25 carbs each?

Last edited by Kevinpa; 11-02-2007 at 07:59 AM..
Old 11-02-2007, 08:20 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cricket4t
Stats: 285/200/160
WOE: Started with Atkins/Swithched to Caveman-Type
Start Date: May 3, 2007
Quote:
Anybody miss all beef hotdogs on a bun for 2.25 carbs each?

OMG that is beautiful but never mind the hot dogs I hear meatball subs dripping with melted cheese and grilled onions calling my name!!! I got some of your Carbalose bake mix put together and I'm about to give this a try. Wish me luck!!
Cricket4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:20 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Can't wait for 11/9 when my order (hopefully) gets shipped!

I reserve the right to continue posting this again as I see mouth watering bread!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:43 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Very beautiful, Kevin. I like the flavor of this bread well enough to make it a "go to" recipe. Do you think it would work in the other yeast dough applications such as stromboli and pizza?

Lisanbinil, what you described is pretty much what I generally do for rolls anyway and, since I didn't get the look I wanted, I'm going with the theory that the dough was just a little too slack to hold the structure.

Ginny