Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jill72
Stats: 162/125/120's
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/31/08
Perdita - I spoon the bake mix into the measuring cup until it's piled high (overflowing), then I whack the cup with the spoon a couple of times to settle the flour. Then I level it with the handle of the spoon.

Just saw your question on the 'resting' of the dough. I don't do that using the LC mix. I've seen it discussed and recommended on high-carb baking sites, but I'd be afraid that resting it for 20 minutes or more would begin the rise. I like to shape after the knead process, handling the dough as little as possible, then set it aside to rise.
jill72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
I'm working on attempt number 2. This time I was much more careful about measurements, starting with the mix, and was careful about other things like the temperature of the water. I ended up with a completely workable dough (I am a dough newbie and last time I tried it I ended up with a sticky mess--still ended up with delicious rolls, it was just a pain). My rolls are rising now. I'll report back.

(I've been trying a lot of lowcarb baking lately--so far almost all my desserts have been abject failures. I think I need a better sweetener mix and lower expectations. But even with my inexperience, the rolls were amazing, so I am returning to this recipe.)
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Update: the second batch, I'm not sure I prefer it. It has a heavy, dense texture, and the carbalose taste is pretty strong (normally it does not bother me). One difference between the first batch I made is that I put in one packet of yeast (eyeballing it it looked like 2 tsp), I measured more carefully this time and realized 1 pkt is not quite 2 tsps. So I used a full 2 teaspoons this time. Could this have changed the flavor? Maybe more yeast ate ALL the sugar, so the reason I liked the flavor of the first batch was because they were slightly sweeter, defeating the carbalose taste?

I think they will be fine for sandwiches (I even made one into a 'sub roll'). This denser texture also reminds me of the asiago sandwich bread from Panera, I wonder if something like that could be made just by adding grated asiago.

Anyway, just some notes from a newbie baker.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
I've been trying a lot of lowcarb baking lately--so far almost all my desserts have been abject failures.
Try Kevin's chocolate chip cookies (on his recipe page). They come in at 1.41g carbs per cookie and you can use his LC mix (2-1/4 cups), making it easy to bake these up in a jiffy.

I'm not much of a LC baker, either, but I've also gotten consistent results with Lauren's black bean chocolate cake (on her website). I'm embarrassed to tell you how many times I've made her cake (so I won't LOL).
Old 10-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Thanks again for the input, Jill. I think my tastes may just be changing--sucralose by itself doesn't seem to be cutting it in desserts for me. And the carbalose taste in my batch of buns from last night almost blew my head off (I am not a person who has ever complained about the taste of CQ). I'm going to go by Whole Foods this weekend and see if I can pick up some different sweeteners without having to pay another netrition shipping charge so soon.

(I'm really stumped on the carbalose flavor, though. I don't remember being able to taste it much at all in the first batch.)
Old 10-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #306

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
Thanks again for the input, Jill. I think my tastes may just be changing--sucralose by itself doesn't seem to be cutting it in desserts for me. And the carbalose taste in my batch of buns from last night almost blew my head off (I am not a person who has ever complained about the taste of CQ). I'm going to go by Whole Foods this weekend and see if I can pick up some different sweeteners without having to pay another netrition shipping charge so soon.

(I'm really stumped on the carbalose flavor, though. I don't remember being able to taste it much at all in the first batch.)
Just a suggestion Perdita but if the mix does not get mixed completely it can make a difference in taste and results. It has happened to me a few time so my normal procedure is to mix throughly when i make it in my stand mixer and to give the container a couple of good shakes before each use in case anything has settled as it sat.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Just a suggestion Perdita but if the mix does not get mixed completely it can make a difference in taste and results. It has happened to me a few time so my normal procedure is to mix throughly when i make it in my stand mixer and to give the container a couple of good shakes before each use in case anything has settled as it sat.
TY Kevin..

I had not thought of that before..I usually make a double or triple batch of your LC mixes but I stir up each on by hand separately and then put in large food saver containers and shake well before using...
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:13 AM   #308
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Some people add vanilla to the Carbalose recipes to overcome the twang.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:32 AM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the carbalose notes. I had *just* made the cake/cookie mix and then shaken (I do it in a lidded container for this purpose). I'm wondering if maybe I made a mistake in the measurements, but I was being so careful. Anyway, on to more experiments.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #310
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Since Kevin first mentioned mixing this with a mixer to thoroughly blend, that is the only way I do it now and I, like you mac24312, make up double, triple, sometimes even quadruple batches. Just give it a shake before using and I've never had a taste problem since.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #311
Senior LCF Member

My method might be overkill, but I shake up the container and then use a large whisk and stir vigorously before using. Working so far.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sofl
Stats: 190/147/?
WOE: Low carb/kinda Atkins
Start Date: June 2007
Has anyone ever made a double batch of these rolls? I would like to have some extra to freeze. These are so good.
sofl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofl View Post
Has anyone ever made a double batch of these rolls? I would like to have some extra to freeze. These are so good.
I have never doubled the recipe but have made 3 batches in a rowwhich really doesn't take that much longer. while 1st is rising I start the 2nd......and so on. The whole process goes pretty smooth.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #314
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sofl
Stats: 190/147/?
WOE: Low carb/kinda Atkins
Start Date: June 2007
Thanks Kevin. I'll give that a try.

I have a batch in the oven now. Two large hamburger buns, two smaller buns for breakfast sandwiches and two soft pretzels (salt and all). It's looking pretty good.
sofl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:33 AM   #315
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jstarh
Kevin,

This is amazing, a real life saver! Wow! I have never been happier in this WOE. Thank you! I would also buy a cookbook for myself and for gifts.

Can the pita dough when using for pitas, buns, bread, cinnamon rolls, and pizza be left to rise in t he fridge overnight? If so, does it make a difference if it is the carbalose or the carbquick?

Star
jstarh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarh View Post
Kevin,

This is amazing, a real life saver! Wow! I have never been happier in this WOE. Thank you! I would also buy a cookbook for myself and for gifts.

Can the pita dough when using for pitas, buns, bread, cinnamon rolls, and pizza be left to rise in t he fridge overnight? If so, does it make a difference if it is the carbalose or the carbquick?

Star
yes star, when i use it for pizza type application I like doing a cold rise. I think it makes it taste better.

always remember though, you will not get a 2nd rise from this dough
Old 05-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #317
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jstarh
Thanks!

Wait, do I want a second rise for any reason? It won't do a second rise because it is cold or because of the flour blend?
jstarh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarh View Post
Thanks!

Wait, do I want a second rise for any reason? It won't do a second rise because it is cold or because of the flour blend?

because of the flour
Old 10-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #319
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kattica666
Quote:
I needed a loaf of bread today and although I have not been very adventurous in the kitchen since I got out of the hospital last year, today seemed like as good a day as any to get back into it.

Since I like this recipe the best for taste and I have never been able to get it to work in a loaf form without falling after coming out of the oven, it seemed like a logical place for me to start again.

I started with a few adjustments(to my mix and recipe) base on some comments from people that use my flour mix and this recipe and had what I will call a large step in the right direction. I acheived a loaf that didn't fall with the same or possibly better taste twice in a row but I still have a few small issues(mainly crust) with the finished loaf that I plan on working through.

When I get a consistantly reproducible loaf that I am satified with I will post the recipe here with photos.
Quote:
One or two more test loaves and I am going to call this tried and true.
Kevin, did you ever get that consistantly reproducible loaf?
kattica666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mistyjo1
Stats: 226/185/140
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: march 31/1010
wow just what i was missing..... love LC especially now i can have a proper burger.....
thanks Kevin.... You did it once again....
mistyjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #321
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattica666 View Post

Kevin, did you ever get that consistantly reproducible loaf?
My understanding is that Kevin never did find that using the pita recipe, but did so with his succeeding ("new") flour blend...I've made that loaf, but also use the pita recipe to make round mini-loaves. (Each bread has it's own charms.)
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #322
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
By the way here's the link for the "new" loaf bread, it's post #135:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...our-mix-5.html
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #323
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kattica666
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
By the way here's the link for the "new" loaf bread, it's post #135:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...our-mix-5.html
Thanks!!
kattica666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgarza
Start Date: July 2002; Jan 2005
Bread Machine vs Mixer

Kevin, you finally converted a die hard bread machine lover.
I tried your Kitchen Aid Mixer method this weekend, finally!
It was sooooooooo much easier than I every thought it would be. I should have tried it long ago. I made the buns and they came out great!
I'll be using your method often!
THANKS!!!!
cgarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #325
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
This one I love.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #326
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wyoung
no more not/Sugar?? substitute or leave out??

I am interested in trying this recipe, unfortunately there is no longer not/Sugar. Looks like the company went out of business. All other ingredients look obtainable from Netrition. Is there a substitute for the not/Sugar or has anyone tried this recipe without it? Also the Almond flour from Netrition is unblanched, Kevin used blanched, is this a product readily available in the food store? Or should I just use the unblanched one from Netrition?

Thanks
wyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #327
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Hi wyoung and welcome to LCF.

You can leave it out or try 1/3 the amount of a gum such as xanthan. The texture is slightly different without, but the recipe will not fail if you don't use it.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
wyoung, you can sub Dixie Diner Carb Counters Thick It Up Low Carb Thickener for the not/sugar! It is almost the same product. That is what I now use to replace the not/sugar or not/starch in his breads, and flour mix.
And yes, you can use the unblanced almond meal/flour. It just isn't as pretty as the blanched. And,,, you get a tiny bit more fiber in the bread.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote