Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #271

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats for Texas View Post
Kevin: probably a stupid question, but occurred to me when I saw someone had subbed beer for "spring water". Do you mean carbonated-type water vs. flat water when you say "spring".
No, I mean flat water. 90% of the time I use bottled water if I have it since I read awhile back that depending on where you live and how much chemicals they use tap water can affect your bread.

I only time I used carbinated water is in sweet bread.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post

I only time I used carbinated water is in sweet bread.

Now that's a tease:

Kevin, why carbonated in sweet bread? Is it flavored?

Thanks!
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Now that's a tease:

Kevin, why carbonated in sweet bread? Is it flavored?

Thanks!
Yes, I subbed carbonated citrus water for orange juice in this:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ffee-cake.html
Old 12-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yes, I subbed carbonated citrus water for orange juice in this:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ffee-cake.html
Ah, thought that's what it must be. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:05 AM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coconutmilk
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2007
I'm using the joseph's but I think I have everything I need to try these out for myself. Thanks KevinP
coconutmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 AM   #276
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
I have a question for Lisabilin .......I live in a high altitude area in Western Canada and I finally used the Active Dry Yeast in the Cabalose version and I got a pretty good rise.
My Question is, do you turn off your bread machine after the mix to let it sit for 20 min like Kevin does, then turn the machine back on to knead (twice...total approx 30-40mins) then form rolls and let rise in draft free oven.....then turn on oven to 400 until rolls are golden?
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #277

I needed a loaf of bread today and although I have not been very adventurous in the kitchen since I got out of the hospital last year, today seemed like as good a day as any to get back into it.

Since I like this recipe the best for taste and I have never been able to get it to work in a loaf form without falling after coming out of the oven, it seemed like a logical place for me to start again.

I started with a few adjustments(to my mix and recipe) base on some comments from people that use my flour mix and this recipe and had what I will call a large step in the right direction. I acheived a loaf that didn't fall with the same or possibly better taste twice in a row but I still have a few small issues(mainly crust) with the finished loaf that I plan on working through.

When I get a consistantly reproducible loaf that I am satified with I will post the recipe here with photos.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
When I get a consistantly reproducible loaf that I am satified with I will post the recipe here with photos.
Would you believe that within in the last hour I got all the ingredients out of the freezer to make this bread? Guess I'll just wait for your "new" directions. Now to put everything away
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have not been very adventurous in the kitchen since I got out of the hospital last year, today seemed like as good a day as any to get back into it.
Hi Kevin:

I figured it was that cute little one in your avatar that was keeping you out of the kitchen.

Looking forward to your pita bread tweaks.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
I needed a loaf of bread today and although I have not been very adventurous in the kitchen since I got out of the hospital last year, today seemed like as good a day as any to get back into it.

Since I like this recipe the best for taste and I have never been able to get it to work in a loaf form without falling after coming out of the oven, it seemed like a logical place for me to start again.

I started with a few adjustments(to my mix and recipe) base on some comments from people that use my flour mix and this recipe and had what I will call a large step in the right direction. I acheived a loaf that didn't fall with the same or possibly better taste twice in a row but I still have a few small issues(mainly crust) with the finished loaf that I plan on working through.

Here here! We'll be waiting
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
I am ready! I just got my netrition order today!
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:02 AM   #282

One or two more test loaves and I am going to call this tried and true.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00013a.jpg (56.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 03-24-2009, 05:50 AM   #283
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
LOOKS Great Kevin~~Hurry up will ya!!! LOL

HUGS!
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:20 AM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Thanks in advance, once again, Kevin
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #285
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Looks amazing, Kevin! I think your breads sound super and will be trying at least one of them one of these days soon. Your pita's look authentic. I have a pita-type recipe (naah - I'm just calling it that) that I'm going to post soon as I promised I would, but it is not like the real thing - still tasty though.

That little baby photo always brings a smile to my face when I see it. Soooo adorable and such a beautiful baby! A grandchild?
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
That little baby photo always brings a smile to my face when I see it. Soooo adorable and such a beautiful baby! A grandchild?

Yes my first grandbaby and the light of my life. Not that I'm partial, but she is the most pleasent baby I think I have ever met. Always smiling and almost never cries.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #287
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Aaaaw, I can truly say I feel a little bit envious. I really look forward to the day when I hold my first grandchild in my "granny" arms. How incredibly blessed you are!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #288
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
Hurry Kevin, hurry!

Leigh
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #289
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zomzom
Just a quick question for those of you who have made the rolls (either the Carbalose or Carbquik ones) - did you bake them at 400 for 10-12 minutes or did you go for a lower temp, ie, 350 for 20-25 minutes? I am in the process of making the dough in my bread machine right now ... will be taking it out when the kneading is finished.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
zomzom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #290

I never tried it but my past experience says 25 min is too long even at 350 for a bun.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zomzom
Quote:
I never tried it but my past experience says 25 min is too long even at 350 for a bun.
Thanks Kevin. Just started baking them at 350 ... will keep an eye on them. Do you think I should go higher, say 375, for 15 mins?
zomzom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:11 AM   #292
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: skyespirit
Stats: 204/158/135
Start Date: July 2005
Kevin, just a quick question...on your stand mixer, what speed are you mixing and kneeding? Just want to get it all right before I start!! LOL

Hugs,
Maryjane
skyespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyespirit View Post
Kevin, just a quick question...on your stand mixer, what speed are you mixing and kneeding? Just want to get it all right before I start!! LOL

Hugs,
Maryjane

I use the #2 setting....but if the the dough starts out too wet I will start on #3 until dough starts to cling to the hook.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #294
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: skyespirit
Stats: 204/158/135
Start Date: July 2005
THanks!!! Got too many animals in today to get a chance to make them but I am planning now for tomorrow!
skyespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #295
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
I just wanted to say I tried the recipe at the top of this thread today. I'm very inexperienced with bread doughs in general, and I had to sub VWG for the WPI 8k, but by following the instructions I was still able to make some rolls that tasted amazing with butter.

They came out a little too small to be workable as hamburger buns, I may divide the recipe into 6 portions next time. Which brings me to another question: the original recipe seems to imply that the packet of yeast (I used a pretty generic 'instant' yeast packet) is supposed to go in with the dry goods. Is this correct, or was I supposed to let it sit in warm water and sugar for a while?

Also--and again I am very new to working with yeast doughs---I let it mix with paddle on medium low speed for about 1-2 minutes, then 10 on setting #2 on my kitchenaid stand mixer with dough hook. When I turned the dough out, it stuck to EVERYTHING. I had dusted the counter with...well, it might have been RWS or WPI, can't remember what I grabbed now...I still had to scrape it up with a dough scraper. Is this about right, or is it a sign I should have added more of something?

Bottom line, though, is that they were delicious and I felt like I was eating a dinner roll at a nice steakhouse. I'm looking forward to trying this again and having some burgers.

(For those of you who do a lot of lowcarb baking, do you find it triggers overeating or halts weight loss?)

Edited to add: One more question. About halfway through this thread, people start discussing letting the dough rest for 20 mins before kneading. I don't see that in the top post and I didn't do it. Is this something that should be done for the main pita/bun technique, or is this a tweak of something later in the thread? I can't seem to find where the '20 minute rest' originates.

Last edited by Perdita; 10-03-2009 at 01:30 PM..
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jill72
Stats: 162/125/120's
Start Date: 10/31/08
Perdita - My dough is never sticky, but I knead longer than 10 minutes (always a minimum of 15) but not sure if that makes a difference. I think you could just add a bit more of the baking mix.

I make something with his mix at least once a week (usually more) and haven't gained yet. The only time I've had the 'overeating' problem is when I make the chocolate chip cookies. I definitely need a Bette Ford Clinic program for those.
jill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Jill. The dough seriously stuck to everything--I ended up dusting my hands with more of the actual cake/cookie mix to be able to work with it. I did measure carefully, FWIW, but I was using volumetric measurements, not weight. Is there a listing somewhere for doing the mix by weight instead? I am still far from being 'intuitive' with dough so the more info I can get the better.

(Re: cookies--I make a mean high-carb chocolate chip cookie from scratch, that's part of how I originally hit my lifetime high of 225lbs. I have a package of the sensato chocolate chips staring at me from my netrition cart. Maybe I should put that off till the holidays. )

Last edited by Perdita; 10-03-2009 at 01:39 PM..
Old 10-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jill72
Stats: 162/125/120's
Start Date: 10/31/08
I haven't seen the recipe posted by weight. I fill my measuring cup to the line then always use a tablespoon measure to remove one tablespoon of water. I add the olive oil and mix that before adding the flour mix. I've never had to dust either my counter top or my hands to handle the dough and it always pulls away from the dough hooks cleanly. My best guess is you had a bit too much liquid or just a bit less flour than needed.

Those cookies may just be my downfall
jill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #299

Sticky dough note*

Recently I broke my most favorite measuring cup.

The next time I made bread or buns I used a different measuring cup and my dough was very sticky. At this point in any bread making process you need to add small amounts of flour until the dough has the right feel(which you learn with experience). The next few attempts I adjusted the water amount down in small increments until I had the new measuring cup nailed.

My conclusion is all measuring cups are not created equal and if you have sticky dough adjust your amount of liquid gradually until it feels right, then make that the measure you always use.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the tips. My guess is too much water, especially given that I tend to 'under-pack' dry ingredients in the measuring cup when I'm not going by weight. Do you guys tend to pack in the fluffier ingredients (carbalose seems like it has a lot of air in it), or pack loosely and level with a knife?