Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bl0nd3y
Stats: 4'11 height<original weight 110lbs <current 94lbs>
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 23/08/2013
Thank-you for your responses. Out of curiosity with the LC foods range, i was interested to know the difference in the flours due to the fact the cake flour - says its suitable for cookies etc, yet so does the pastry flour. I read reviews that biscuits made with the LC flour weren't satisfactory, so i attempted to make sample cookies with different ingredients with my main attempt being to get a crunchy form of biscuit, as so far i had only gotten a soft texture. Anyway, as iv purchased all the LC Foods flours, and although the ingredients are exactly clear as to how much baking powder has been used, it appears as though the cake flour is NOT suitable for making cookies, unless you want a soft dough like cookie. and when i used the cake-flour with just butter - it was still rather soft in texture, but when i added egg, it puffed up incredibly. the Pastry flour was perfect for cookies, but if i added egg along with butter, although it didnt rise, it remained soft in texture, instead of crunchy.

All this info would be typical common sense to those who bake with high carb flours, but for those of us experimenting with various flours, and may be persuaded or confused by labels such as "cake flour, bread flour, pastry flour" we arnt able to distinguish what is really best for our needs without them being labelled "self raising, plain etc"

so i did a little testing...

The photos here are of my very ugly test cookies -

- the closest to the camera on (your) left side marked PE are the cookies made with pastry flour, and Egg/butter mix

- the second row closest to the camera on (your) left side marked PF is just Pastry flour and butter. As you can see in comparison to the mix with egg, these ones remained the same size, and turned out the crispiest

- the third row thats puffy / pizza dough like is cake flour and egg and butter

- the last couple marked with a big C is just cake flour and butter, yet they still remained slightly soft in texture, they just didn't rise.

bl0nd3y is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2013, 06:10 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bl0nd3y
Stats: 4'11 height<original weight 110lbs <current 94lbs>
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 23/08/2013
now that i have chosen my flour, im of to test the puff pastry recipe by Kevin - Ill be back with some results
bl0nd3y is offline   Reply With Quote